Townley Advice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paddy1882
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Townley Advice

Post by Paddy1882 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:24 am

Does anyone on here know who I’d contact regarding the path walking down to Townley from the cliviger area? Would it be council or a private agency. Been down there with a pram this morning and it’s an absolute death trap, I’d dread to think how you’d cope if you were in a wheel chair on your own. Had to walk in the road coming back up the hill which again if you’re on your own in a wheel chair would just be ridiculous.

Turftalkers mentor
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Re: Townley Advice

Post by Turftalkers mentor » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:29 am

Think it's the local authority ,
Try Councillor Scott Cunlffe , good lad
This user liked this post: Paddy1882

burnmark
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 478 times

Post by burnmark » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:31 am

Paddy1882 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:24 am
Does anyone on here know who I’d contact regarding the path walking down to Townley from the cliviger area? Would it be council or a private agency. Been down there with a pram this morning and it’s an absolute death trap, I’d dread to think how you’d cope if you were in a wheel chair on your own. Had to walk in the road coming back up the hill which again if you’re on your own in a wheel chair would just be ridiculous.
Are you referring to the one near the Deer Pond at the bottom of the hill? It’s been a while since I’ve walked it but hasn’t been in great condition for a while.

Paddy1882
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:33 am

burnmark wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:31 am
Are you referring to the one near the Deer Pond at the bottom of the hill? It’s been a while since I’ve walked it but hasn’t been in great condition for a while.
Yeah the one leading up to pike hill area past the old golf course

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:36 am

If you mean the path down the side of deer park road, then yes you are right, it needs attention urgently. The rain we've had has washed away the top surface in many parts exposing the matting that its laid on and carving out huge sections. I was up there the other day and there was a bit of high viz activity, presumably checking out what needs doing, but yeah it would be Burnley council.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:42 am

You lucky you have a path .Our local council Wokingham expect you to play dodge the traffic in many places, new houses but few footpaths

HuncoatClaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by HuncoatClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:56 am

Download the www.lovecleanstreets app and it will go through to the relevant department. It will be quicker and much more effective than putting it on here or contacting your local councillor.
I've no doubt that the record amounts of rainfall for the last 6 months may have washed some paths out, it is a very steep gradient going up and down there.

atlantalad
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:59 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:42 am
You lucky you have a path .Our local council Wokingham expect you to play dodge the traffic in many places, new houses but few footpaths
Not just Wokingham. Pendle Council also have many ‘dodge the traffic’ schemes in place. One particular route which is a hazard to pedestrians is the bottom end of Barden Lane where it joins Greenhead Lane. There are pathways on both roads until you reach the narrow downhill stretch of road with blind bends. I often walk that stretch in summer and am always prepared to throw myself into the hedgerows.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:49 am

My advice is Towneley.
These 3 users liked this post: Westleigh HuncoatClaret IanMcL

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:41 pm

It’s funny you should post this as I’ve been thinking coming into the freezing conditions that the road itself needs to be addressed by gritters at times, as it’s like a ski slope. Even slow moving vehicles skid their way down in parts where it ices over quickly due to moving water, and struggle getting up causing lots of problems. For a non-main road it’s actually an extremely busy route between 8.15-9am and 3-3.45pm with the school drop offs at Unity College, which is the largest school in the town.

It never gets gritted at all from why I’ve seen, and rarely gets attended to with the cutting back of trees overhanging and grass, though was cut in eventually around November.

Perhaps the council (not sure whether it might be Lancashire Highways?) aren’t aware?

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:46 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:49 am
My advice is Towneley.
Towneley as in Burnelee.

thehistorylecturer58
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by thehistorylecturer58 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:57 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:46 pm
Towneley as in Burnelee.
Towneley as in that is the correct way to spell Towneley .
These 3 users liked this post: Westleigh HandforthClaret nil_desperandum

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:01 pm

Claretforever wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:41 pm
It’s funny you should post this as I’ve been thinking coming into the freezing conditions that the road itself needs to be addressed by gritters at times, as it’s like a ski slope. Even slow moving vehicles skid their way down in parts where it ices over quickly due to moving water, and struggle getting up causing lots of problems. For a non-main road it’s actually an extremely busy route between 8.15-9am and 3-3.45pm with the school drop offs at Unity College, which is the largest school in the town.

It never gets gritted at all from why I’ve seen, and rarely gets attended to with the cutting back of trees overhanging and grass, though was cut in eventually around November.

Perhaps the council (not sure whether it might be Lancashire Highways?) aren’t aware?
They will only grit roads emergency vehicles use regular.

It saves money.
This user liked this post: Claretforever

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:45 pm

As a regular at Towneley, I can confirm that whenever there are icy conditions, the road is gritted. I would say that more people should cut there speed down or actually drive around and not use a park to drive through to save a few minutes driving their kids to school.
On many occasions I've seen the park lads strimming around hundreds of bollards on either side of the road mentioned, I don't know of many overhanging trees.
Like I said in an earlier post, download the love clean streets app and leave a short message that will go to the relevant department at either your local council or LCC.

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:49 pm

There are also plenty of warning signs saying icy conditions before driving down these roads when the temperature is freezing and plenty of signs saying 20mph. Drivers could maybe take a look at these and use Brunshaw Rd instead

Claretforever

Post by Claretforever » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:03 pm

HuncoatClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:45 pm
As a regular at Towneley, I can confirm that whenever there are icy conditions, the road is gritted. I would say that more people should cut there speed down or actually drive around and not use a park to drive through to save a few minutes driving their kids to school.
On many occasions I've seen the park lads strimming around hundreds of bollards on either side of the road mentioned, I don't know of many overhanging trees.
Like I said in an earlier post, download the love clean streets app and leave a short message that will go to the relevant department at either your local council or LCC.
You’ve got to be kidding about it always being gritted on that road? It’s always icey down there with no evidence of gritting during really cold snaps from why I’ve seen? As you get 1/3 of the way down where water runs off the path from the left that patch alone is extremely dangerous, and you get similar towards the bottom closer to the pond. As I said, it was strimmed and cut back around November time this year, and was a little overdue, especially just around the bend at the bottom.

And re:saving a few minutes you probably mean 25 mins if we’re being honest. Lyndhurst Road is clogged up in normal circumstances early AM anyway, but as soon as there is any sign of snow/ice and traffic shifts slightly to that road you could be queueing 3/4 off the way up at times. I get it, safety first, but people will always attempt a shorter route when they have to go straight to work afterwards.

Regarding speed I absolutely agree with you. Some people forget how tight that road is and don’t drive to the conditions.

Thanks for the app advice, I hadn’t heard of it.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:23 pm

thehistorylecturer58 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:57 pm
Towneley as in that is the correct way to spell Towneley .
Not a lot of people know that .😂
This user liked this post: thehistorylecturer58

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:57 pm

Claretforever wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:03 pm
You’ve got to be kidding about it always being gritted on that road? It’s always icey down there with no evidence of gritting during really cold snaps from why I’ve seen? As you get 1/3 of the way down where water runs off the path from the left that patch alone is extremely dangerous, and you get similar towards the bottom closer to the pond. As I said, it was strimmed and cut back around November time this year, and was a little overdue, especially just around the bend at the bottom.

And re:saving a few minutes you probably mean 25 mins if we’re being honest. Lyndhurst Road is clogged up in normal circumstances early AM anyway, but as soon as there is any sign of snow/ice and traffic shifts slightly to that road you could be queueing 3/4 off the way up at times. I get it, safety first, but people will always attempt a shorter route when they have to go straight to work afterwards.

Regarding speed I absolutely agree with you. Some people forget how tight that road is and don’t drive to the conditions.

Thanks for the app advice, I hadn’t heard of it.
What about the warning signs saying "beware ice". I'm there some days at 8am with my lab and I have seen them gritting Deer park road.
The bollards are strimmed on a regular basis either side of the road. As for it being cut in November, the old 9 hole golf course was cut and baled by a local farmer whom I know .
I filled in a form earlier on in 2023 where the council gave everyone a chance to say what changes they would like to see with the upcoming Towneley masterplan, I take it that you also put in your ideas or do you just post them on a football forum?

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:00 pm

I must say that one of my suggestions was to reduce traffic in the park, this was by closing Deer park road from pike hill and making it one way with traffic only allowed up the hill.
This user liked this post: HandforthClaret

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:36 pm

Its become far too busy a road with parents and loads of others using it as a cut through at stupid speeds.
Thats not what its designed for and it needs clamping down on, especially the idiots who fly up and down there on quads.

Maybe another few speed bumps would help deter people
This user liked this post: HuncoatClaret

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:00 am

Unfortunately even the road surface is rapidly deteriorating as traffic has increased ten-fold since Burnley's roadwork shambleses and before that the Burnley Road sinkhole, causing
diversions which people get used to and never return to their old routes.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:28 am

basil6345789 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:00 am
Unfortunately even the road surface is rapidly deteriorating as traffic has increased ten-fold since Burnley's roadwork shambleses and before that the Burnley Road sinkhole, causing
diversions which people get used to and never return to their old routes.
Theres an awful couple of potholes half way up the hill that are quite hard to spot. Going to do some damage those.

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:51 am

I spoke to one of the staff at TownEley this morning, it was his 1st day back after the Christmas holidays.
The path was washed out below the Deer pond on Saturday 23rd December, another member of staff was on his way there with a JCB to try to level it out. This was the 2nd time in 4 weeks that they have had to repair and replace washout, all this is down to the vast amounts of rainfall, 12 months rain in the last 6 months.
I mentioned the potholes, he said that the council has just spent over £6,000 repairing Towneley Holmes rd, golf carpark and the causeway, all this is down to the increased number of vehicles going through a park instead of driving around. I took a look around and if you walk and don't drive around the park, these areas are easy to notice, the work was carried out by Braithwaites?
The staff were approachable and happy to tell me the stuff, but were shocked when I mentioned that it was on a football forum.
Last edited by HuncoatClaret on Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:52 am

Also mentioned that when the roads were put in, they weren't designed for the volume of traffic that they're getting.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:56 am

HuncoatClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:51 am
I spoke to one of the staff at TownEley this morning, it was his 1st day back after the Christmas holidays.
The path was washed out below the Deer pond on Saturday 23rd December, another member of staff was on his way there with a JCB to try to level it out. This was the 2nd time in 4 weeks that they have had to repair and replace washout, all this is down to the vast amounts of rainfall, 12 months rain in the last 6 months.
I mentioned the potholes, he said that the council has just spent over £6,000 repairing Towneley Holmes rd, golf carpark and the causeway, all this is down to the increased number of vehicles going through a park instead of driving around. I took a look around and if you walk and don't drive around the park, these areas are easy to notice, the work was carried out by Braithwaites?
The staff were approachable and happy to tell me the stuff, but were shocked when I mentioned that it was on a football forum.
So whats the plan to reduce traffic?
I know for a fact that this has been raised to them a number of times in the last 12 months

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:59 am

I don't know, I'm not a council official. Like I said earlier, I would like to see a reduction in traffic, it is unique that a load of lazy drivers can take a short cut through a park. I would imagine that it's not too easy to just close it especially with other businesses being located in the park as well as a number of houses and residents.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:49 pm

Put APNR cameras at all entrances/exits together with Access Only signs. Compare entry and exit times and if anyone passes through in less than 10 minutes or whatever then give them a ticket. If anyone passes through in less than 5 minutes or whatever also give them a speeding ticket. Simples 😊

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1625 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:00 pm

HuncoatClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:51 am
Not too sure sink holes happen due to increased traffic

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:27 pm

I haven't seen any sink holes, where are these? I only walk around the park. I use the golf course car park because I'm a member, and all the potholes have been repaired on there.

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:30 pm

HuncoatClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:27 pm
I haven't seen any sink holes, where are these? I only walk around the park. I use the golf course car park because I'm a member, and all the potholes have been repaired on there.
There's a nice one more than starting up the small holdings just about the pond.

HuncoatClaret

Post by HuncoatClaret » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:46 pm

If it's a sink hole, I'd avoid driving down there and stick to the A roads around Towneley.
As pointed out earlier, the Deer pond has been over recently, maybe that has caused it?
You can always report it on "love clean streets" and that will go through to the engineers at Parker lane.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:47 am

Although the deer pond will not have helped, it is the rain water in general. The paths leading down to Towneley between Springwood nursey/Applecross/a Brunshaw estate are as bad in places.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:27 am

Somebodys listening, the paths have been dug up today and the big potholes near the pond have been filled in (badly)

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:53 am

HuncoatClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:46 pm
If it's a sink hole, I'd avoid driving down there and stick to the A roads around Towneley.
As pointed out earlier, the Deer pond has been over recently, maybe that has caused it?
You can always report it on "love clean streets" and that will go through to the engineers at Parker lane.
Reported & kicked back saying that it wasn't theirs to fix basically !

Claretforever

Post by Claretforever » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:49 pm

HuncoatClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:57 pm
What about the warning signs saying "beware ice". I'm there some days at 8am with my lab and I have seen them gritting Deer park road.
The bollards are strimmed on a regular basis either side of the road. As for it being cut in November, the old 9 hole golf course was cut and baled by a local farmer whom I know .
I filled in a form earlier on in 2023 where the council gave everyone a chance to say what changes they would like to see with the upcoming Towneley masterplan, I take it that you also put in your ideas or do you just post them on a football forum?
No, I didn’t know about it, and if you’d bothered to read further up the thread you’d have seen that I only made the comment at all because of this thread, or wouldn’t have even thought to have done so on here.

Why didn’t you share the form for the master plan on here at the time? That’s a little selfish of you thinking only your views are important. ;)

knclaret
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by knclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:16 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:47 am
Although the deer pond will not have helped, it is the rain water in general. The paths leading down to Towneley between Springwood nursey/Applecross/a Brunshaw estate are as bad in places.
Lovely walks there