Malta advice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Malta advice

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:45 pm

The girlfriend is away with her friends in a couple of weekends time so, with no Burnley game, I thought I would take a solo trip, something I've occasionally enjoyed previously. Booked flights to/from Malta, somewhere I've never been and fancy taking a look around.
Obviously with it being a popular summer holiday destination there is a vast choice of accommodation and I'm seeking any advice on the best place to stay. I think I want to be fairly close to, though not necessarily in, Valetta. Would like a location with a bit going at night in terms of resturants/bars etc All and any advice/tips appreciated.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Re: Malta advice

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:24 pm

Stayed at DB San Antonio in St Paul's a couple of years ago and it was decent.

Good food and a lovelt rooftop infinity pool.

Found lots of bars around as long as you're into karaoke and the cheesy music.

Definity visit the madina which is easy enough to do by bus/taxi.
Last edited by bfccrazy on Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:24 pm

Malta, a holiday spot that divides people, into love it or not! We really like it. Been twice and stayed in Sliema both times. Easy to get about, tour bus, or normal service bus. Great food, has a distinctly Italian influence, Valletta is lovely, as is a visit to Mdina. From Sliema you can walk around the front to St Julian’s which is the liveliest spot I guess, clubs, bars (some a bit seedy???
Enjoy exploring!

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:34 pm

We went whilst England were playing, doubt we got a normal experience however we enjoyed staying in St Julian's bay. It was lively, you could stay out until at least 7am if that way inclined, lots of bars/restaurant/shops and a small beach. Again, maybe because of the football clientele but not the classiest place.

The restaurants were decent enough, we stayed near Spinola Bay. The bus service was good, I left the lads and visited Valletta which was very interesting. Naturally a lot of history because of Malta's location, good museums and streets to wander around.

I travel often but really suffered with the heat September time of the year which was unusual for me. I'd like to go back

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:39 pm

Been to Malta twice in recent times, both times to watch England play there in qualifiers.

Stayed on the seafront at Qawra on both occasions, it's in St Pauls Bay next door to Buggiba. I wouldn't say its the most exciting for nightlife but there are plenty of bars and restaurants in those 2 resorts.

There are plenty of buses from there to all parts of the island.
I think it's around 10 miles from Valletta.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:51 am

There's a great little independent hotel that I've used lots when I've been over there for work called Hotel Juliani. It's in St Julians bay, and is only a 5 minute walk to Paceville. There's decent restaurants there (Fitch and something steakhouse, and there's a great Pizzeria called Salumeria Gardens, and it allows you to be close to all of the nightlife, without being right in the noise and madness of Paceville.

4*4 tour around Gozo is an interesting day trip, takes you to the inland sea, and usually stops at the Blue Lagoon on the way home for a swim.

ClaretsPadiham
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by ClaretsPadiham » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:55 am

Been twice when I was younger with my grandparents, very religious place I’m led to believe.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:37 am

ClaretsPadiham wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:55 am
Been twice when I was younger with my grandparents, very religious place I’m led to believe.
Going for our 7th visit later in the year. The one thing to note is that quite a few restaurants etc close for the winter and don't open until just before Easter. To make sure there's enough to do I'd recommend Buggiba or silima

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:30 am

We were based in St. Pauls Bay. Used a hop on/off bus to tour Mosta(rotunda), Mdina(castle) and the North coast.
Service bus to Valletta and back.
I’d go back.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:58 am

Depends on what you are after. The tourists resorts will be dead at this time of year, and of course you can expect rain and lots of it if there's low pressure in that part of the Med.

I would base myself in Valletta at this time of year, where you can spend a couple of days visiting museums and soaking up the architecture. You'll also have better restaurants to choose from for your evening meal. Then maybe hire a car and visit the ancient sites - from the Neolithic to the Roman era. Have a Google - there's much to see.

ClaretAndBlue94
Been Liked: 62 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by ClaretAndBlue94 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:11 am

We went when nations began to open up after covid. Valetta was a worthwhile visit as was the fishing town of Marsaxlokk. All very doable on public busses in an afternoon.

Also did a trip on the ferry to Gozo.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:15 am

We stayed in St Pauls Bay a few years ago ... used the buses to tour the island, Medina is a good visit 👍

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:27 am

Keep an eye out for jtv logging in - I think he might know more about Malta than any of us

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:35 am

Hi Stalbansclaret.

Some good suggestions in the posts above but I would recommend the Sliema/St Julians area. Valletta is full of boutique hotels and, if you can afford them, there are some fantastic ones there. Night life has picked up in Valletta with lots of good eateries and clubs in the old notorious gut (Strait Street). Plenty of good restaurants in the Sliema/St Julians area as well. If you are looking for wild nightlife Paceveille is the place but you go there at your own risk, Fights are very frequent and bouncers seem to apply the law of the jungle - unfortunately non-whites are most often the target.

And of course do visit Mdina - the old capital and a charming walled city. Mdina is fascinating in the evening when there are less noisy tourists about and there are a couple of decent restaurants there as well. Obviously museums and the Cathedral would be closed after 5ish if you are interested in that sort of thing. Another interesting place to visit is the Blue Grotto - boat trips from Wied iz-Zurrieq if the sea is calm and you may also fancy spending a day in Gozo (ferries from Valletta for the long route or from Cirkewwa for a shorter crossing). Gozo is greener, cleaner and so far not as over developed as Malta.

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:34 pm

Thanks everyone....Im only going from Friday evening to Monday lunchtime and, based on some of the posts above I think I'll go for somewhere in the Silema area. I love walking so will be easy to get around both St Juliens and Valetta from there. I've noticed that hotels are more pricey in Valetta too so will find somewhere nice in Silema. Definitely plan to go over to Gozo, and to Mdina, and there will be plenty to do and see in the short time I'll be there. Really appreciate all the advice given above.

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:38 pm

Sliema I mean. Apologies for incorrect spelling.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:51 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:34 pm
Thanks everyone....Im only going from Friday evening to Monday lunchtime and, based on some of the posts above I think I'll go for somewhere in the Silema area. I love walking so will be easy to get around both St Juliens and Valetta from there. I've noticed that hotels are more pricey in Valetta too so will find somewhere nice in Silema. Definitely plan to go over to Gozo, and to Mdina, and there will be plenty to do and see in the short time I'll be there. Really appreciate all the advice given above.
Preluna hotel in sliema is good.... Right on the front, bus stop outside

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:52 pm

Last time we went we stayed in St Julians so another vote for this area.

We stayed in the Marriot Westin Dragonara resort.

Easy walk to lots of bars/restaurants and found plenty to keep us entertained. Haven't been this time of year though so sounds like we have a local on here but would highly recommend.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:42 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
https://theneucollective.com/

We have used these to stay in Gzira a short walk from Sliema

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:33 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
There is also a great transport museum https://www.maltaaviationmuseum.com/ and classic cars https://transportmuseums.com/museum/the ... ollection/

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:14 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:52 pm
Last time we went we stayed in St Julians so another vote for this area.

We stayed in the Marriot Westin Dragonara resort.

Easy walk to lots of bars/restaurants and found plenty to keep us entertained. Haven't been this time of year though so sounds like we have a local on here but would highly recommend.
Westin Dragonara is a great hotel, but will depend on budget as it is relatively pricey. They have a great pizzeria/bistro right on the sea edge - Palio's - but probably serve inside only at this time of year.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:08 pm

Channel 5 is airing a programme on Malta ‘Jewel in the Med’ started on 4/1, just seen an advert for it

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:29 pm

Targetman wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:39 pm
Been to Malta twice in recent times, both times to watch England play there in qualifiers.

Stayed on the seafront at Qawra on both occasions, it's in St Pauls Bay next door to Buggiba. I wouldn't say its the most exciting for nightlife but there are plenty of bars and restaurants in those 2 resorts.

There are plenty of buses from there to all parts of the island.
I think it's around 10 miles from Valletta.
I used to stay in Sliema. Now it is jammed with cars and you can't get on s bus! The last time I went, I also stayed in Qawra. Great for buses. Easy connection to other places. Reasonable priced hotels. A week bus ticket is great value. Hiring a car is pointless. Roads clogged and nowhere to park! There is an Irish bar there which I recommend. Great live music Inc a brilliant guitarist.

Claret86
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret86 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:53 pm

I've been to Malta 3 times. First time stayed in attard in a hotel.
Second time got married at villa bologna in attard. Absolutely amazing place, used to be the residence of the guvoner of Malta. The building and grounds reminded me on godfather 1 when Al pacino has to go back to Italy to hide. We stayed in a luxury villa for 10 nights
3rd time I went was on my 1st wedding anniversary. We stayed in Melhia further north.
Mdina and Valletta were stunning places to go to.
To be honest, I wouldn't bother going Malta in the winter, a lot of places will be shut and you're running the risk of bad weather, part of attraction is the al fresco lifestyle there. Eating good food outdoors in nice weather.
Hopefully you have a good time though, the people are really friendly

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:03 pm

Claret86 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:53 pm
To be honest, I wouldn't bother going Malta in the winter, a lot of places will be shut and you're running the risk of bad weather, part of attraction is the al fresco lifestyle there. Eating good food outdoors in nice weather.
Hopefully you have a good time though, the people are really friendly
The flights have cost me £80 …it’s not a main holiday, just a quick jaunt to see somewhere new and from my googling it’s evident there will be plenty to see and do . It’ll be warmer than here too !

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:07 pm

One thing to note… whilst it’s warmer than here, the houses and hotels aren’t always built to keep heat in, so they can be very cold in the winter. Pack a hoodie or two would be my advice.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret Rumpelstiltskin

Claret86
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret86 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:40 am

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:03 pm
The flights have cost me £80 …it’s not a main holiday, just a quick jaunt to see somewhere new and from my googling it’s evident there will be plenty to see and do . It’ll be warmer than here too !
Can't grumble at them prices. Have a good trip

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:10 am

Stay in Valletta if you can, otherwise stay in Sliemma where there is a ferry to Valletta that only takes 5 mins or so to get there.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:28 am

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:03 pm
If the budget permits, hire a car for the day and take the ferry over to Gozo, much greener than Malta, and some lovely fishing villages such as Xlendi and Marsalforn. There is also the Citadella, a fortress in the main City of Victoria ( or Rabat, as it's also known ). The Ggantija Temple is thought to be the 2nd oldest freestanding building in the world, a world heritage site and thought to date back to 3,600 BC, and well worth a visit ..

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:16 pm

Channel 5 tonight!

It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by It Is What It Is » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:44 pm

Went to Malta two years ago, travelled round a bit....too many Russians there....horrible people.

knclaret
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by knclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:12 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:34 pm
We went whilst England were playing, doubt we got a normal experience however we enjoyed staying in St Julian's bay. It was lively, you could stay out until at least 7am if that way inclined, lots of bars/restaurant/shops and a small beach. Again, maybe because of the football clientele but not the classiest place.

The restaurants were decent enough, we stayed near Spinola Bay. The bus service was good, I left the lads and visited Valletta which was very interesting. Naturally a lot of history because of Malta's location, good museums and streets to wander around.

I travel often but really suffered with the heat September time of the year which was unusual for me. I'd like to go back
Went years ago. Lovely Island but very expensive

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:39 pm

I went to Malta with my choir a few years ago. We sang in Mosta Dome (worth a visit) and at a church in Marsaskala in front of the Prime Minister. A very interesting island with loads of history. A museum near the harbour is worth a visit as a trip to the Island of Gozo. We stayed near St .Paul's Bay but a hotel near Valletta would be better. A visit to the catacombs was interesting. On our free days some of our choir members simply went to the nearest bus stop and jumped on the first bus which arrived - an interesting way to tour the island !

CJW
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by CJW » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:15 am

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:19 am

How is this relevant to the topic being discussed?

Does it help the O/P with his visit?

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:01 pm

Im aware of the Maltese penchant for shooting birds every Spring. in fact one of my best friends is a keen birdwatcher who refuses to ever go there because of this. I guess it's up to each of us individually to set our own ethical bars.
This user liked this post: CJW

Stalbansclaret

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:02 pm

TheOriginalLongsider wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:10 am
Stay in Valletta if you can, otherwise stay in Sliemma where there is a ferry to Valletta that only takes 5 mins or so to get there.
Yep..have booked somewhere in Sliema based on the comments/advice on here.