Peter Bankes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4570 times

Peter Bankes

Post by MT03ALG » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:46 pm

Amazed that the VAR Official did not even ask the referee to take a second look at the incident. Was it clear and obvious that it was not a foul ?

ralph8
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Re: Peter Bankes

Post by ralph8 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:55 pm

A positive of VAR - it now gives you 2 Bad Referees instead of 1
Joking apart - do they blame each other afterwards and it all just fades away into history.
How to get rid of fans who have watched the game for 50 Years.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:02 am

Im not one to have a go at refs but that one really is taking the ****. Theres quite clearly no intention from their olayer to play the ball, it wouldnt even be a soft foul, its absolutely blatant.
Nobody will care though

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:05 am

You wonder if Harrington is going to have a go at Bankes after the game asking why he's been made to look a mug. After all, if a ref makes a wrong decision and his mate tells him so, and he corrects it, that might look bad. But it looks worse to make a wrong decision and your mate sits on his hands and lets you make a fool of yourself.

ALP
Been Liked: 1466 times
Has Liked: 388 times

Post by ALP » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:10 am

We were pretty doomed to relegation before the game, however a win tonight could have bolstered the team. What irks me most is that these poor decisions that keep going against us cost us £millions, and potentially a manager losing his job. I'm sure the referee's don't do their errors with any intent, but wonder whether subconsciously they make the error knowing that the team is in trouble and therefore commit too soon.

Just my opinion but it is shocking.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:14 am

VAR doesn't recommend a review though. It effectively changes the decision. The fact that's how VAR is being implemented is why it didn't intervene tonight.

Ref looking at monitor is the daftest bit of all. They always agree with Stockley Park. If it's clear and obvious only then why is there any need for ref to review on a monitor.

Whe whole thing undermines itself.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:21 am

what_no_pies wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:14 am
VAR doesn't recommend a review though. It effectively changes the decision. The fact that's how VAR is being implemented is why it didn't intervene tonight.

Ref looking at monitor is the daftest bit of all. They always agree with Stockley Park. If it's clear and obvious only then why is there any need for ref to review on a monitor.

Whe whole thing undermines itself.
Does seem like they hand pick certain decisions to go and look at the monitor and change the decision, in the games it’s cost us, forest, Bournemouth, Villa and tonight they haven’t gone to the screen to look at any decision. I would even throw the first penalty decision not given against West Ham in as to I can’t see why they didn’t go and look at that

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:24 am

For me, the blame lies mainly with the onfield ref. How he doesn’t give that when everyone in the stadium can see it’s a foul I don’t know. Usually any sort of contact with the keeper is given but that is a clear foul anywhere on the pitch. VAR just confounds the situation but if it’s given on the pitch, no way would VAR overturn it.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4570 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:27 am

Can I ask Peter Bankes or Tony Harrington for £34 ? I had Amdouni first goal and 1-0 @ 33/1 :( :(

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:36 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:21 am
Does seem like they hand pick certain decisions to go and look at the monitor and change the decision, in the games it’s cost us, forest, Bournemouth, Villa and tonight they haven’t gone to the screen to look at any decision. I would even throw the first penalty decision not given against West Ham in as to I can’t see why they didn’t go and look at that
In the Forest game the ref did go to the monitor, because he got it right first time and the VAR man had to persuade him to change his mind. He showed the super-slow motion from behind the goal that clearly showed that when Berge chested the ball down, it brushed his sleeve and deflected by an inch or even two; not only that, that Berge did this deliberately. Until the ref went to the screen, the VAR man was the only man in football who thought it was handball. When he had persuaded the weak-minded ref, there were two men in football who thought it was handball. It was just sod's law that they happened both to be reffing our game.

Same tonight. Not one ref in a hundred would have allowed Luton's goal. And yet we managed to land two refs who thought it was fine. What's the odds.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:43 am

dsr wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:36 am
In the Forest game the ref did go to the monitor, because he got it right first time and the VAR man had to persuade him to change his mind. He showed the super-slow motion from behind the goal that clearly showed that when Berge chested the ball down, it brushed his sleeve and deflected by an inch or even two; not only that, that Berge did this deliberately. Until the ref went to the screen, the VAR man was the only man in football who thought it was handball. When he had persuaded the weak-minded ref, there were two men in football who thought it was handball. It was just sod's law that they happened both to be reffing our game.

Same tonight. Not one ref in a hundred would have allowed Luton's goal. And yet we managed to land two refs who thought it was fine. What's the odds.
It’s been that long of a season already couldn’t remember if they had gone to screen for forest game.

When you think what they ruled goal at when it was Man City vs Liverpool for a foul on keeper I think it was Allison and they don’t even send the ref to the screen tonight

The league isn’t corrupt when it’s Burnley vs Luton it’s just officials who have not played the game or have no clue what decisions to give anymore.

Howard Webb brought in to make things better, when actually premier league is the only league we’re VAR is getting worse year on year

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:58 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:43 am
It’s been that long of a season already couldn’t remember if they had gone to screen for forest game.

When you think what they ruled goal at when it was Man City vs Liverpool for a foul on keeper I think it was Allison and they don’t even send the ref to the screen tonight

The league isn’t corrupt when it’s Burnley vs Luton it’s just officials who have not played the game or have no clue what decisions to give anymore.

Howard Webb brought in to make things better, when actually premier league is the only league we’re VAR is getting worse year on year
I suspect that it's nothing to do with not having played the game. I haven't played the game at any level above Sunday League, but I know what a foul is.

The problem is that refs are no longer told the referee the game and look at the linesman to see if he is flagging. They have these earpieces, with both linesmen and the fourth official giving a running commentary about their thoughts. I stand at the corner flag at Accrington and can hear the linesmen wittering on when they're at this end, and some of them never shut up. It's bound to be a distraction.

And then every single time the ref makes a decision (even if it is which way is the throw in, or is the keeper wasting too much time) he has to do it with the PGMOL scrutinising his every move and marking him on 250+ decisions every game; if he doesn't get enough (in their opinion) right, then he doesn't get so much work. He has to think not only about doing the job to the best of his own ability, but also to the exact specifications set from the buffoons on high.

And then they have VAR. A nutcase in the back room who may think he is being helpful by sitting on his hands and doing nothing, like tonight's bloke, or who may try and pick holes in every decision and showing the ref biased viewpoints to get his point across.

With all these people bellowing in his ear (literally or metaphorically) it's little wonder that the refs can't do a decent job.