ARTICLE: Fofana is first January signing

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Re: ARTICLE: Fofana is first January signing

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:12 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:45 pm
Yep I suspect all of them players will leave in some capacity.

It looks like he’s fallen out with last seasons favourites as well, I would love to see benson but for one reason or another he will be gone in the summer.

The only way I can describe this season is just deflated and losing a connection to the club
I was actually more excited to see zaroury this season than anyone else, thought his flair and ability with both feet would transition the most to the premier league

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Re: Fofana signed

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:12 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:32 am
Not enthusiastic about this.
Nice Burnley welcome :roll: .

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:31 pm

He looks like Billy Ocean!!!

Still, when the going gets tough... 😁
These 3 users liked this post: bfcjg Stalbansclaret Rick_Muller

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:58 pm

Another young lad under 6ft. Not a bad one though since it is only a loan with little financial risk.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:04 pm

If there's any kind of game time requirements this is a questionable at best signing- game time requirements mean he has to start or come on even if it's not what we need in that game/at that time or he's not playing well. If there's no game time requirement, I'm fine with this as he has to be an upgrade on Jay for mobility alone as a bench option.

If we're expected to play or bring him on every game I'm really not happy with this. For context, he's 5'11" so not a beast providing a different option, he's played 687 minutes in the Bundesliga, 8 starts 4 subs, bagging 1 goal, for a team in a relegation battle whose top scorer has managed 4. The Bundesliga's weaker than the Prem so I'm not expecting him to get more than 1-2 for us barring a sudden revelation. His career best was in 2022 in the then 17th-ranked Norwegian Elitesieren, 4 places below the Swiss league, 6 below the Belgian league. I really hope I'm wrong but that doesn't scream to me that he's our new Nathan Tella.

It's another 'young with potential' signing, but as a loan. Really not what we need but I just hope he's an option, rather than a requirement, to play, because I can't see how he fits in other than as a replacement for Jay on the bench, and if he's got requirements then I think we can fully kiss goodbye to Benson who is the only player I still believe can impact a game from the bench for us, except MAYBE Larsen if we're lucky (although Larsen seems to have gone backwards the last 2 months).
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2251 times

Post by mkmel » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:04 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:31 pm
He looks like Billy Ocean!!!

Still, when the going gets tough... 😁
Or misheard lyrics of......

Go and get stuffed...

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:11 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:04 pm
If there's any kind of game time requirements this is a questionable at best signing- game time requirements mean he has to start or come on even if it's not what we need in that game/at that time or he's not playing well. If there's no game time requirement, I'm fine with this as he has to be an upgrade on Jay for mobility alone as a bench option.

If we're expected to play or bring him on every game I'm really not happy with this. For context, he's 5'11" so not a beast providing a different option, he's played 687 minutes in the Bundesliga, 8 starts 4 subs, bagging 1 goal, for a team in a relegation battle whose top scorer has managed 4. The Bundesliga's weaker than the Prem so I'm not expecting him to get more than 1-2 for us barring a sudden revelation. His career best was in 2022 in the then 17th-ranked Norwegian Elitesieren, 4 places below the Swiss league, 6 below the Belgian league. I really hope I'm wrong but that doesn't scream to me that he's our new Nathan Tella.

It's another 'young with potential' signing, but as a loan. Really not what we need but I just hope he's an option, rather than a requirement, to play, because I can't see how he fits in other than as a replacement for Jay on the bench, and if he's got requirements then I think we can fully kiss goodbye to Benson who is the only player I still believe can impact a game from the bench for us, except MAYBE Larsen if we're lucky (although Larsen seems to have gone backwards the last 2 months).
Another disrespectful post about Rodriguez. As i said hlon another post, will he disrupt defenders like Rodriguez from long balls- no, will he press as much as cleverly as him - no, will he stop balls going into the oppositions holding midfielders as well - no, will he be winning headers from attacking/defensive set pieces as well as Rodriguez- no.

The game is about much more than what he does on the ball. I find it incredible that people still havent worked that out after seeing us this season. Im not saying he wont be useful but to just disregard Rodriguez who is one of the few that plays for the team not the individual is just ridiculous.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:19 pm

I also think Rodriguez has much more to offer than a new import youngster.

If the new man is a goal machine, then great. His record says he is not.

This is just youth obsession.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:29 pm

I'm as peed off as anyone with the way this season gone, but I think some of you love wallowing in your misery. You just can't wait to pour scorn on anything associated with the club, including a player who has yet to kick a ball for us. Pathetic.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:47 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:29 pm
I'm as peed off as anyone with the way this season gone, but I think some of you love wallowing in your misery. You just can't wait to pour scorn on anything associated with the club, including a player who has yet to kick a ball for us. Pathetic.
It's so sad, but they use their dislike of anything Burnley related as a badge of honour, pathetic doesn't really cover it

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:51 pm

Obafemi must be thinking why the F did he sign.me, eat the F do I have to do to get a game.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:56 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:51 pm
Obafemi must be thinking why the F did he sign.me, eat the F do I have to do to get a game.
Being fit to play might be a start. He’s injured, isn’t he?

That was one that looked a strange signing, when it eventually happened. We knew we were going up when he was brought in and I’m not sure that there was much to suggest he’d be a good option for the Premier League.

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:10 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:11 pm
Another disrespectful post about Rodriguez. As i said hlon another post, will he disrupt defenders like Rodriguez from long balls- no, will he press as much as cleverly as him - no, will he stop balls going into the oppositions holding midfielders as well - no, will he be winning headers from attacking/defensive set pieces as well as Rodriguez- no.

The game is about much more than what he does on the ball. I find it incredible that people still havent worked that out after seeing us this season. Im not saying he wont be useful but to just disregard Rodriguez who is one of the few that plays for the team not the individual is just ridiculous.
Jay's a striker, his job first and foremost is to score goals and he's scored 1 from open play. He can't link play, doesn't create chances, doesn't take chances, doesn't hold up the ball up top and he doesn't disrupt defenders from long balls. He doesn't make runs to draw defenders away. He wins defensive headers and tackles mostly in his own half, presses okay but less than Foster or Amdouni because he's slower so simply CAN'T for all his effort.

I get that everyone loves Jay, I love Jay for his commitment and what he's done in the past but he's 4 years past his best at this level. There's several players in this team with zero bottle, but even if Jay has bottle he has such neglible impact on games. Amdouni looks better alongside Foster, our entire attack looks better, we're still weak in our own third and without Berge our midfield is nonexistent but we have far far more attacking impetus and threat now because Jay, for all his heart, loyalty, and service, is a striker who cannot contribute to the attack at this level anymore. I really hate saying this about him BECAUSE he's one of our own but that fact is becoming a blindspot for some.
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:20 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:10 pm
Jay's a striker, his job first and foremost is to score goals and he's scored 1 from open play. He can't link play, doesn't create chances, doesn't take chances, doesn't hold up the ball up top and he doesn't disrupt defenders from long balls. He doesn't make runs to draw defenders away. He wins defensive headers and tackles mostly in his own half, presses okay but less than Foster or Amdouni because he's slower so simply CAN'T for all his effort.

I get that everyone loves Jay, I love Jay for his commitment and what he's done in the past but he's 4 years past his best at this level. There's several players in this team with zero bottle, but even if Jay has bottle he has such neglible impact on games. Amdouni looks better alongside Foster, our entire attack looks better, we're still weak in our own third and without Berge our midfield is nonexistent but we have far far more attacking impetus and threat now because Jay, for all his heart, loyalty, and service, is a striker who cannot contribute to the attack at this level anymore. I really hate saying this about him BECAUSE he's one of our own but that fact is becoming a blindspot for some.
Ok so hes spent his whole career nealry in the premier league under various different managers without having any redeeming features. Christ there really is some nonsense posted in here.
Hes got a very similar scoring rate to Amdouni this season, presumably better but from a smaller sample size. But he offers leadership, work rate and physical presence which Amdouni most certainly doesnt. I actually think his presence alonside Foster would draw defenders towards him for the first ball and free up more space in behind for Foster. Having Amdouni as an impact sub would probably be a much better use of his skills at the current moment as well.

Remember when people used to ridicule Heskey for not scoring enough goals? Ask Michael Owen what he thought of him.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5563 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:31 pm

helmclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:59 am
Another player written off before they’ve kicked a ball!
But will become a world beater if we go three games without him getting any minutes.

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:33 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:20 pm
Ok so hes spent his whole career nealry in the premier league under various different managers without having any redeeming features. Christ there really is some nonsense posted in here.
Hes got a very similar scoring rate to Amdouni this season, presumably better but from a smaller sample size. But he offers leadership, work rate and physical presence which Amdouni most certainly doesnt. I actually think his presence alonside Foster would draw defenders towards him for the first ball and free up more space in behind for Foster. Having Amdouni as an impact sub would probably be a much better use of his skills at the current moment as well.

Remember when people used to ridicule Heskey for not scoring enough goals? Ask Michael Owen what he thought of him.
You're literally seeing what you want to see to defend Jay's selection NOW in 2024. I said nothing at all about his whole career. He's had a fantastic career. Jay Rodriguez WAS a brilliant player. WAS.

His first spell with us, most exciting 19 year old I've ever seen. Took my breath away with that goal against Fulham.
At Southampton he was fantastic and but for injury would have played a lot more for England.
His first season back here, under Dyche, he was good. Very important in how we did.
Since then he hasn't been the same, he could barely find the net for 2 years at this level, he started reasonably in the Championship last year and looked like he might have 1 more year in him but that final injury finished him, he was struggling second half of last season, and but for Sheffield this season has never looked like he'll score in a million years.
Jay isn't going to draw defenders away from Foster, because he hasn't got the pace to scare them, hasn't got the dribbling ability to panic them, isn't a playmaker who they need to press, and has been struggling to finish a lot of chances this year. Amdouni is quicker, and much quicker with the ball at his feet- that scares defences. Jay's physical presence doesn't mean much when we don't play for high balls, target man holdup play and winning the header and knockdown, and 2 years ago under Dyche he was struggling to do that exact role.

It's not 2014 anymore, it's 2024. I find it heartbreaking to see how he's declined, I really do, but people keep pretending that Jay's just lacking the right strike partner or winger and then suddenly he'll be back to the player he once was. I hate criticising him like this, but he's not even close to the player he was.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:34 pm

Interesting, but I was hoping we would/could sign the fella from Stuttgart but probably out of our wage range.

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:39 pm

South West Claret. wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:34 pm
Interesting, but I was hoping we would/could sign the fella from Stuttgart but probably out of our wage range.
Guirassy?! He's scored more goals than he's played games and broke Lewandowski's record for the fastest start to a season, 13 in his first 7. He's going to be courted by teams way out of our wage and price range, even age 27. United, Newcastle and West Ham are all linked.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:47 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:33 pm
You're literally seeing what you want to see to defend Jay's selection NOW in 2024. I said nothing at all about his whole career. He's had a fantastic career. Jay Rodriguez WAS a brilliant player. WAS.

His first spell with us, most exciting 19 year old I've ever seen. Took my breath away with that goal against Fulham.
At Southampton he was fantastic and but for injury would have played a lot more for England.
His first season back here, under Dyche, he was good. Very important in how we did.
Since then he hasn't been the same, he could barely find the net for 2 years at this level, he started reasonably in the Championship last year and looked like he might have 1 more year in him but that final injury finished him, he was struggling second half of last season, and but for Sheffield this season has never looked like he'll score in a million years.
Jay isn't going to draw defenders away from Foster, because he hasn't got the pace to scare them, hasn't got the dribbling ability to panic them, isn't a playmaker who they need to press, and has been struggling to finish a lot of chances this year. Amdouni is quicker, and much quicker with the ball at his feet- that scares defences. Jay's physical presence doesn't mean much when we don't play for high balls, target man holdup play and winning the header and knockdown, and 2 years ago under Dyche he was struggling to do that exact role.

It's not 2014 anymore, it's 2024. I find it heartbreaking to see how he's declined, I really do, but people keep pretending that Jay's just lacking the right strike partner or winger and then suddenly he'll be back to the player he once was. I hate criticising him like this, but he's not even close to the player he was.
Im commenting on what ive seen this season. Why would he need pace to draw defenders away, again a clueless coment. He picks up really clever positions deep, hes basically a much inferior version of Kane at this point. He isnt going to run in behind, hes going to come short and if we can find him with some more direct passes in those positions either to his feet, head or chest then hes going to cause defenders to come out to get right on him, this theoretically will free up space in behind for Foster and will mean he doesnt have to be the targetman. Sort of like when Barnes was the foil for Wood which allowed Wood to focus on scoring goals.

Its not all about picking the most talented side, how many times have England come unstuck with that strategy. You are clearly completely ignoring the point im making here about the presence he gives us in all aspects of the gale compared to Amdouni.
As for 'starting reasonably'in the championship. He was the top scorer in the whole division and then got injured. If he hits between 15 and 20 which was pretty much guaranteed then he would have been in the same ballpark as Tella who people have been crying out for and eventually went for 20 mill to the team top of the Bundesliga.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:47 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:39 pm
Guirassy?! He's scored more goals than he's played games and broke Lewandowski's record for the fastest start to a season, 13 in his first 7. He's going to be courted by teams way out of our wage and price range, even age 27. United, Newcastle and West Ham are all linked.
Yes I believe your right.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1765 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:54 pm

Just out of interest did the people who watched the interview and highlighted the “lazy” comment deliberately mean to imply that he was talking about his on the field character?

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:57 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:47 pm
Im commenting on what ive seen this season. Why would he need pace to draw defenders away, again a clueless coment. He picks up really clever positions deep, hes basically a much inferior version of Kane at this point. He isnt going to run in behind, hes going to come short and if we can find him with some more direct passes in those positions either to his feet, head or chest then hes going to cause defenders to come out to get right on him, this theoretically will free up space in behind for Foster and will mean he doesnt have to be the targetman. Sort of like when Barnes was the foil for Wood which allowed Wood to focus on scoring goals.

Its not all about picking the most talented side, how many times have England come unstuck with that strategy. You are clearly completely ignoring the point im making here about the presence he gives us in all aspects of the gale compared to Amdouni.
As for 'starting reasonably'in the championship. He was the top scorer in the whole division and then got injured. If he hits between 15 and 20 which was pretty much guaranteed then he would have been in the same ballpark as Tella who people have been crying out for and eventually went for 20 mill to the team top of the Bundesliga.
I'm struggling to think of many moments, if any, in the long stretch where he started that Jay drew defenders out of position with a run or drop deep for someone else. You're suggesting we switch to a Dyche style, direct system, even making the Barnes-Wood comparison (although I'd say Vokes-Gray would be more logical with Foster's pace), when that's just not how our team is built, we don't have the physical, robust players to win for those knockdowns and second balls, we don't have widemen whose primary skillsets are getting up and down, feeding the short ball centrally like you describe or curling in a cross for a big guy.

I'm not ignoring your point, I'm disagreeing because I simply don't think Jay does offer that presence. Eye test fails it, stats fail it, he's incredibly low on the list for his creativity and I can't think of an occasion where he pulled a defence open with a run for someone else. Amdouni was often having to dribble down blind alleys alongside him precisely because there was no room for him to make a penetrative run. Jay would come deep then do nothing with it. Minimal forward play, worse pass accuracy than Amdouni and that's passing shorter and less forwards. And I hate going over this over and over because the more you insist Jay's our saviour, he's doing everything right and it's whoever's alongside him that's wrong, the more I sound like I've got an axe to grind against him by challenging it. And I don't- I don't think ANY Burnley fan has a grudge against Jay.

I can't believe you're so fixated on getting Jay back in the team. I'd consider subbing him on for 15 minutes if we looked like we needed shoring up from set pieces or if we were against a small defence where going for the orthodox "go direct, cross it to the tall guy" strategy had some chance of success, even though I'm not sure we have the midfield physicality for that. But reinventing our playstyle just to get him back in, as your propose- even if I do think we need rethinks I can't see how you think Jay's the solution to our season. I'd love it if he were, I really would, was so pleased he scored against Sheffield, but I can't see it ever being the case.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:34 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:57 pm
I'm struggling to think of many moments, if any, in the long stretch where he started that Jay drew defenders out of position with a run or drop deep for someone else. You're suggesting we switch to a Dyche style, direct system, even making the Barnes-Wood comparison (although I'd say Vokes-Gray would be more logical with Foster's pace), when that's just not how our team is built, we don't have the physical, robust players to win for those knockdowns and second balls, we don't have widemen whose primary skillsets are getting up and down, feeding the short ball centrally like you describe or curling in a cross for a big guy.

I'm not ignoring your point, I'm disagreeing because I simply don't think Jay does offer that presence. Eye test fails it, stats fail it, he's incredibly low on the list for his creativity and I can't think of an occasion where he pulled a defence open with a run for someone else. Amdouni was often having to dribble down blind alleys alongside him precisely because there was no room for him to make a penetrative run. Jay would come deep then do nothing with it. Minimal forward play, worse pass accuracy than Amdouni and that's passing shorter and less forwards. And I hate going over this over and over because the more you insist Jay's our saviour, he's doing everything right and it's whoever's alongside him that's wrong, the more I sound like I've got an axe to grind against him by challenging it. And I don't- I don't think ANY Burnley fan has a grudge against Jay.

I can't believe you're so fixated on getting Jay back in the team. I'd consider subbing him on for 15 minutes if we looked like we needed shoring up from set pieces or if we were against a small defence where going for the orthodox "go direct, cross it to the tall guy" strategy had some chance of success, even though I'm not sure we have the midfield physicality for that. But reinventing our playstyle just to get him back in, as your propose- even if I do think we need rethinks I can't see how you think Jay's the solution to our season. I'd love it if he were, I really would, was so pleased he scored against Sheffield, but I can't see it ever being the case.
Hes constantly dropping deep and either linking play or making his presence felt, Amdouni loses every ball that comes into him if it becomes a battle, im not saying he doesnt have other attributes but competing in duals isnt one. At no point did i say he was our saviour, i just think his attributes are useful and are the things this team lack.

And weve already gone to a more Dyche esque 442, we are narrow compact and can be fairly direct now. Look at the possession stats from yesterday for evidence because your 'eye test' has obviously failed you on that one, so im not saying we need to revert our playing style at all. Im saying we should replace one 'number 10' with another, its hardly revolutionary

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:50 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:34 pm
Hes constantly dropping deep and either linking play or making his presence felt, Amdouni loses every ball that comes into him if it becomes a battle, im not saying he doesnt have other attributes but competing in duals isnt one. At no point did i say he was our saviour, i just think his attributes are useful and are the things this team lack.

And weve already gone to a more Dyche esque 442, we are narrow compact and can be fairly direct now. Look at the possession stats from yesterday for evidence because your 'eye test' has obviously failed you on that one, so im not saying we need to revert our playing style at all. Im saying we should replace one 'number 10' with another, its hardly revolutionary
'Making his presence felt' genuinely when has he done that in the attacking third or opposition half? I don't dispute that having height from defensive corners has been useful and he's been good at tackling or pressing in our own half. But seriously, look at the actual stats on Jay in possession if you don't believe me, Amdouni has made literally ten times as many dribbles per game that's why he loses it more, Jay's passing moves things forwards less often, and passes shorter yet still less accurate. He wasn't linking play well at all.

We're not remotely playing a Dyche-esque 442. Didn't see the game yesterday but poor possession stats don't mean we're suddenly a direct side, in every game I've seen where we've been out-possessed it's because we're simply outclassed and outplayed or turn over possession too easily. Not all 442s are the same, and having less possession is not in any way part of our current gameplan- listen to Kompany if you don't believe me he's been steadfast in not changing philosophy. Our approach requires a mobile forward two. Jay isn't mobile enough. We're not even close to a Wood-Barnes or even Ings-Vokes type setup. I think if we had a couple of different players in that exploring that would be worthwhile but it's not what we're doing, so it would represent a style change to do as you're saying. You're saying to replace one no.10 with another but they're nothing alike as players, Jay & Amdouni.

You're determined to have Jay back in the team. Writing Fofana off even replacing him on the bench, insisting Jay should start over Amdouni. I get that he's a hometown hero but you honestly want him starting?

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:50 pm
'Making his presence felt' genuinely when has he done that in the attacking third or opposition half? I don't dispute that having height from defensive corners has been useful and he's been good at tackling or pressing in our own half. But seriously, look at the actual stats on Jay in possession if you don't believe me, Amdouni has made literally ten times as many dribbles per game that's why he loses it more, Jay's passing moves things forwards less often, and passes shorter yet still less accurate. He wasn't linking play well at all.

We're not remotely playing a Dyche-esque 442. Didn't see the game yesterday but poor possession stats don't mean we're suddenly a direct side, in every game I've seen where we've been out-possessed it's because we're simply outclassed and outplayed or turn over possession too easily. Not all 442s are the same, and having less possession is not in any way part of our current gameplan- listen to Kompany if you don't believe me he's been steadfast in not changing philosophy. Our approach requires a mobile forward two. Jay isn't mobile enough. We're not even close to a Wood-Barnes or even Ings-Vokes type setup. I think if we had a couple of different players in that exploring that would be worthwhile but it's not what we're doing, so it would represent a style change to do as you're saying. You're saying to replace one no.10 with another but they're nothing alike as players, Jay & Amdouni.

You're determined to have Jay back in the team. Writing Fofana off even replacing him on the bench, insisting Jay should start over Amdouni. I get that he's a hometown hero but you honestly want him starting?
Thats part of the problem, hes attempting dribbes in silly areas that arent coming off and hes losing the ball, second half yesterday was dreadful from him. Its this exact type of risk we can ill afford especially when theres not much end product at the end of the successful dribbles.

You really think we havent gone more direct? Its absolutely clear weve changed our style, of course its less direct than Dyches 442 but the general shape is very similar now and thats why we are shipping a lot less goals by giving it away in silly areas. Jay and Foster is the exact type of strikeforce Dyche loved, of course theres slight differences between the individuals but theres height, power and pace.

Im fully aware thay Jay and Amdouni are different players entirely but they are both number 10s. This is sort of my point, they bring totally different strengths and weaknesses and at the current time i think Jays profile would be more useful for us, with Amdouni as an impact sub. Again lets not forget that Rodriguez was in line for close to 20 goals last season but for injury.

Ive not written Fofana off at all, in fact i said he may well be useful but lets not the facts get in the way.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 625 times
Has Liked: 492 times

Post by Steddyman » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:36 pm

Why are people so negative? He is clearly a quality player.

Would you have been just as negative if we hadn't have conceded the late goal? For the most part we controlled Luton well, even tough we had less possession than them.
This user liked this post: Anthonini

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:49 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm
Thats part of the problem, hes attempting dribbes in silly areas that arent coming off and hes losing the ball, second half yesterday was dreadful from him. Its this exact type of risk we can ill afford especially when theres not much end product at the end of the successful dribbles.

You really think we havent gone more direct? Its absolutely clear weve changed our style, of course its less direct than Dyches 442 but the general shape is very similar now and thats why we are shipping a lot less goals by giving it away in silly areas. Jay and Foster is the exact type of strikeforce Dyche loved, of course theres slight differences between the individuals but theres height, power and pace.

Im fully aware thay Jay and Amdouni are different players entirely but they are both number 10s. This is sort of my point, they bring totally different strengths and weaknesses and at the current time i think Jays profile would be more useful for us, with Amdouni as an impact sub. Again lets not forget that Rodriguez was in line for close to 20 goals last season but for injury.

Ive not written Fofana off at all, in fact i said he may well be useful but lets not the facts get in the way.
I didn't see yesterday's game but won't take your word for it that he was dreadful to be honest, you're very clear in your player preference, my dad who did see the game reckons he was one of our better performers. Amdouni has made several blind alley dribbles but he's also created far more shooting chances than Jay has, check FBRef if you don't believe me, it doesn't just count direct setups either a shot creating action counts 2 moves back. He gains us ground with dribbles, and most of his dribbles to nothing came alongside Rodriguez because he had no space to move into because Jay wasn't pulling defences out of place.

We'll never know what would have happened with Jay but "He was on target for 20 pre-injury" is meaningless when you look how he's been post-injury. It's living in the past again, living on maybes. We're more direct yes but not remotely in the way Dyche was, we're trying to get players in behind, usually out wide or in channels between the CB and fullback rather than going long centrally as with Dyche, and our most effective direct play is usually midrange, there's occasions where a ball all the way from the back has brought some joy, like Larsens' goal vs Sheffield (but again that was running in behind and wide) but usually that back-to-front play hasn't been effective (again, not seen yesterday but don't expect that to be different).

You felt it disrespectful to prefer Fofana on the bench to Jay mate you've decided he's behind our least productive striker already. This entire debate started because I said I'd prefer Fofana as a bench option to Jay and you took exception. It would be a fairytale ending for Jay to somehow be the one to score 10 goals in the second half of the season, lift our frontline entirely and power us to safety, it really would, it'd eclipse Barnes' swansong last year, but I don't see it.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:04 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:49 pm
I didn't see yesterday's game but won't take your word for it that he was dreadful to be honest, you're very clear in your player preference, my dad who did see the game reckons he was one of our better performers. Amdouni has made several blind alley dribbles but he's also created far more shooting chances than Jay has, check FBRef if you don't believe me, it doesn't just count direct setups either a shot creating action counts 2 moves back. He gains us ground with dribbles, and most of his dribbles to nothing came alongside Rodriguez because he had no space to move into because Jay wasn't pulling defences out of place.

We'll never know what would have happened with Jay but "He was on target for 20 pre-injury" is meaningless when you look how he's been post-injury. It's living in the past again, living on maybes. We're more direct yes but not remotely in the way Dyche was, we're trying to get players in behind, usually out wide or in channels between the CB and fullback rather than going long centrally as with Dyche, and our most effective direct play is usually midrange, there's occasions where a ball all the way from the back has brought some joy, like Larsens' goal vs Sheffield (but again that was running in behind and wide) but usually that back-to-front play hasn't been effective (again, not seen yesterday but don't expect that to be different).

You felt it disrespectful to prefer Fofana on the bench to Jay mate you've decided he's behind our least productive striker already. This entire debate started because I said I'd prefer Fofana as a bench option to Jay and you took exception. It would be a fairytale ending for Jay to somehow be the one to score 10 goals in the second half of the season, lift our frontline entirely and power us to safety, it really would, it'd eclipse Barnes' swansong last year, but I don't see it.
Maybe you should watch yesterdays game before commenting. Amdounis second half was god awful. I hwve absolutely no issue with him, hes clearly a talented player but hes getting away with all sorts this season. It cost us massively at Spurs and it could have done v Luton as well.

I said your comments on Rodriguez were disrespectful and that has been a very common them on here even going back to the start of last season. Barnes received the same sort of comments.
Its very much a case of familiarity breeds contempt.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:14 pm

Back to the OP, I suppose my first question would be why isn't he away at the ANC?

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:19 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:04 pm
Maybe you should watch yesterdays game before commenting. Amdounis second half was god awful. I hwve absolutely no issue with him, hes clearly a talented player but hes getting away with all sorts this season. It cost us massively at Spurs and it could have done v Luton as well.

I said your comments on Rodriguez were disrespectful and that has been a very common them on here even going back to the start of last season. Barnes received the same sort of comments.
Maybe you should watch every game Rodriguez has played this season bar the first half against Sheffield at home, before acting like he's still the player he used to be. Maybe you should have a look at literally any of the analytics sites out there showing just how productive his play is vs Amdouni's. As for Luton, I just checked the match ratings thread and the only people describing Amdouni as anything close to god awful are a couple of people who never credit him. Generally he's getting 6s, the occasional 7 or 5. I'm not saying Amdouni's a world beater all I'm saying is I think he offers more than Jay as a striker in all aspects except defending set pieces and defensive tackles, and that he fits Kompany's style better even with recent adaptations.

I'm not being disrespectful because I'm wishing no ill fortune on him nor am I slating his past accomplishments or history. I'd love to see Jay resurrect himself. Barnes got criticism at the start of last season because he was playing very, very poorly- Sunderland away a glaring example. He turned it round. I'd love to see Jay do the same but I've not seen anything to suggest he will, but you keep insisting that no, it's disrespectful to want someone else on the bench but moreover, he should start and we should go all in on playing as we did under Dyche to try get the best out of him. It's not familiarity breeding contempt, it's not looking at him with rose-tinted glasses.

I'm not engaging again, you've made your position clear- you want Jay starting. I don't and I'd rather see the new guy Fofana on the bench over him. Let's leave it there.

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:33 pm

I've no idea how he will be, don't remember seeing him but I'll be supporting him when he wears the Claret, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him a few times

Clearly strange interview and seemed somewhat like he didn't understand English that well when answering, particularly the lazy comment, which was questioned and answered to being about off the pitch

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32549 times
Has Liked: 5281 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:28 pm

KateR wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:33 pm
I've no idea how he will be, don't remember seeing him but I'll be supporting him when he wears the Claret, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him a few times

Clearly strange interview and seemed somewhat like he didn't understand English that well when answering, particularly the lazy comment, which was questioned and answered to being about off the pitch
If I was judging him on that interview I wouldn’t be impressed but, like you, I thought he misinterpreted things in translation. It was obvious given the interviewer was speaking very slowly.

I’ll wait to see him play before thinking of making a judgement.
This user liked this post: KateR

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:28 pm
If I was judging him on that interview I wouldn’t be impressed but, like you, I thought he misinterpreted things in translation. It was obvious given the interviewer was speaking very slowly.

I’ll wait to see him play before thinking of making a judgement.
In any walk of life, if the first adjective someone can think of to describe themselves or their personality is 'lazy' then I dont think you'd be in a rush to give them a job. But lets see, it does sound like hes the maverick type, so he may well be used as an impact sub

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 847 times

Post by Murger » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:58 pm

Drop Amdouni and throw him in from the off. We’ve nowt to lose.

scamander
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by scamander » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:56 am

I see this as VK making a statement about us staying up, the issue being that no moves in the transfer market could be seen as us throwing in the towel.

It's a difficult line to walk and I appreciate that my opinion (we are going down so let's keep money at the club) would be viewed as us throwing in the towel. With the news about Forest and Everton possibly facing further action we might be thrown another lifeline.

If nothing changes in that regard then we should be looking at what we need for the Championship next season.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:24 am

12 games and 1 goal for Union Berlin. Average Kicker mark of 3.85. Best mark is 1, worst mark is 6.His best game was on 20 December at home to Cologne when he scored a goal and a Kicker mark of 2 (only played second half!)

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:26 am

Jay’s main attribute now is being a local lad. He’s got nowt else left.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:59 am

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:04 pm

No way was spt disrespectful. You're trying to make an argument out of nothing here.

Hes mereky pointed out that Jay has been a way off the pace at this level for a long time and sadly isn't the person to lead a starting berth in the side. He is right unfortunately although I do think he can be a big player in helping see out results (although i suspect we are past that point where we will get enough opportunities for that to save our season).

I'm not convinced by Amdouni as I think he's working too hard to show off instead of getting the basics right. And he really isn't giving us enough from the front - even against a pretty average Luton he often failed to put any pressure on their right side leaving Luton easy passes out.

However I don't think Jay is the answer here - we all love him and for a couple of seasons he was a really hey player after returning but in the relegation under Dyche he fell a bit short of what we needed, was injured a lot of last season and so far has struggled to assert himself in most games this season.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:07 pm

Anyway b ack to topic ...

I see hes got quite an infectious smile - the last forward like that didn't do too badly ;)
This user liked this post: KateR

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:20 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:40 pm
I think this is the problem, I just don’t feel any kind of attachment to any of these players. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so deflated about the club. You can’t even have a favourite player anymore because there’s so much movement in the team.
Enforced movement though, we haven’t had a choice to have a settled squad.

We had virtually no players when VK took over, forced to build a squad from scratch obviously some of those aren’t gonna be good signings and included 6 players on loan.

Then we get promoted and are faced with a squad of unknowns in how they would cope with the huge step up. Then you factor in the 6 loan players we had to get promoted.

Hopefully now we see more of a settled squad, build around the nucleus of young talent. A couple here and there in, we could do with losing a few too.
These 2 users liked this post: Ziggy Stardust northeastclaret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:27 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:20 pm
Enforced movement though, we haven’t had a choice to have a settled squad.

We had virtually no players when VK took over, forced to build a squad from scratch obviously some of those aren’t gonna be good signings and included 6 players on loan.

Then we get promoted and are faced with a squad of unknowns in how they would cope with the huge step up. Then you factor in the 6 loan players we had to get promoted.

Hopefully now we see more of a settled squad, build around the nucleus of young talent. A couple here and there in, we could do with losing a few too.
But we know for a fact that’s not going to happen. Theres going to be another massive rebuild this summer.

Theres going to be at least 6-10 players leave between now and the end of the summer window. Then probably the same number coming in

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:46 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:27 pm
But we know for a fact that’s not going to happen. Theres going to be another massive rebuild this summer.

Theres going to be at least 6-10 players leave between now and the end of the summer window. Then probably the same number coming in
We can lose 6-10 but we don’t need the same coming in. Mcnally Twine Bastien Churlinov Weghorst is 5 who we can lose without needing to replace.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:50 pm

Doubt there will be anything like a 'massive rebuild' in the summer. It's not as if many of our players have proved themselves at this level.

Tackler49
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by Tackler49 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:15 pm

It’s been well documented how much Chelsea need a striker so if Fofana isn’t doing it for them why would VK and is staff think that Fofana is capable of doing it for us? (hope I am wrong) wouldn’t be surprised if they hadn’t considered bringing Weghorst back UTC

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:49 pm

Tackler49 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:15 pm
It’s been well documented how much Chelsea need a striker so if Fofana isn’t doing it for them why would VK and is staff think that Fofana is capable of doing it for us? (hope I am wrong) wouldn’t be surprised if they hadn’t considered bringing Weghorst back UTC
What planet do some people live on?

Not good enough for Man City so can’t be good enough for us! Maatsen and Jack Cork were both more than good enough for us on loan from Chelsea.