Pancreatic cancer

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sackville
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Pancreatic cancer

Post by Sackville » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:51 pm

My sister has sadly recently died of pancreatic cancer. Dispite having major surgery it soon came back in her liver. Sadly after fighting the disease after 6 years she sadly lost the battle! I was wondering if anybody knows anyone who has survived this type of cancer? Hopefully there’s hope for anyone currently fighting pancreatic cancer.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Re: Pancreatic cancer

Post by Rowls » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:00 pm

Sorry for your loss Sackville.

Sadly, to my limited knowledge it's one of the deadliest cancers. My step-Grandfather died of this many years ago now but I remember the reported words of his oncologist as being "it will either kill you quickly or slowly".

We're making progress in treating cancers but there's still so much further to go. The hope we have rests in doing whatever we can to help us achieve better outcomes in the future.

A.Claret.Fan
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by A.Claret.Fan » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:02 pm

I recall Wilko Johnson (Dr. Feelgood) having this. He refused medical treatment and was surprisingly given the all clear a year later.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:14 pm

Sackville wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:51 pm
My sister has sadly recently died of pancreatic cancer. Dispite having major surgery it soon came back in her liver. Sadly after fighting the disease after 6 years she sadly lost the battle! I was wondering if anybody knows anyone who has survived this type of cancer? Hopefully there’s hope for anyone currently fighting pancreatic cancer.
Really sad to hear of your sisters passing. Sadly pancreatic cancer is probably one of the worst cancers to get. My father and a close friend both died from it and had no real chance of beating it.
Cancer Research is one of three charities I regularly donate to. One day cancers like this may be beatable but probably not in mine or your lifetime. We can only hope.
Best wishes to you and your family in coming to terms with your loss.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:15 pm

A.Claret.Fan wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:02 pm
I recall Wilko Johnson (Dr. Feelgood) having this. He refused medical treatment and was surprisingly given the all clear a year later.
I read quite recently that Wilko Johnson had been mis-diagnosed. He didn't have pancreatic cancer, but another less serious health issue.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:26 pm

A good friend died of pancreatic cancer in June 2021. He'd had back pain for some time, stopped him playing football. I met him in the street January 2021, I was out for a covid-19 exercise walk, he was coming home from seeing consultant. His wife was with him. He'd just been told he got pancreatic cancer and he'd got a few months, at best. He was 59. His funeral was a sad occasion, gone much too soon.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your sister Sackville.

Pancreatic cancer is indeed one of the more insidious cancers, and, typically isn't something with a high survival rate. It also is typically too late when the symptoms have already started.

Here's hoping there is more research into it and measures to prolong life.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:34 pm

My mum died from pancreatic cancer in 2016. She went from being outwardly healthy to passing away in about 3 months. I think it’s about the worst form of cancer in terms of survivability as things stand. Very sorry to hear of your own loss.

mdd2
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:47 pm

In over 50 years I know three who had Whipples operation and were cured but it was where it presents early by causing jaundice
It presents late in most cases which is why it has such a poor outcome

TomtheClaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 153 times

Post by TomtheClaret » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:57 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss.
This cancer has plagued my family in the last 20 years.
My Dad in 2006, his sister in 2020. Numerous cousins in their 50s and 60s. 10 family members. Sadly no survivors (Is it even survivable?)
Shortest time was 8 days, Longest was 11 months. My dad was three months.
I remember the cancer nurse telling me bluntly (I had asked her not to gloss it or bullshit me) That this was considered to be one of the most painful cancers, and he would be given the best drugs to prevent pain, sadly he would sleep for days.
All the best UTC

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 600 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:42 am

Firstly so glad to hear you had so long with your sister despite everything that will have no doubt impacted along that journey………. 5 years ago this weekend my mum passed away from this…….

Fit as heck, said she’d tummy ache in the August….by September we sat with her in the consultancy room to hear her being told she had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, nothing they could do other than slow down any progression - never felt so helpless, to hear her be told that. On the 25th October, having had one round of chemo which nearly killed her she said no more chemo……..Doc agreed, but said that meant she had between 6 to 8 weeks……sat in a coffee shop immediately after that, what do you say?

She did well up to the Christmas……….she lasted to the 27th jan.

This will sound shocking, but at the time Pancreatic cancer UK (?) coincidentally did an awareness campaign on tv, where a girl who had pancreatic cancer said “I wish I had breast cancer”………….meaning at least if it was that she had a f’ing chance………….obviously went down like a lead brick but I must admit when I saw it I totally understood …….

Horrific horrific thing…………no symptoms generally at all until it’s too late………………..too little investment in treatment/early diagnosis because of the low survival rates, and other cancers having higher success rates which means they get more focus………

Sorry to ramble, but even tho I’m an old. **er, I miss mum, and I’m sure every day the poster thinks of the fab times with his sister, even that nasty bstrd of a disease can’t take those memories away,
This user liked this post: TomtheClaret

bfcmatt
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by bfcmatt » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:19 am

My Dad passed away nearly 9 years ago from this awful disease, he went to the doctors several times over the years only to be told they didnt think there was anything seriously wrong with him, so wide ranging are the symproms. He finaly got his diagnosis and was given 6 months to live, he managed 2 weeks befor it took him, 2 weeks of seeing him so poorly it was heart breaking. He never lost his sense of humour though.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:36 am

Sorry for your loss 😢

Mrs C works at the Institute of Cancer Research in Surrey.

She tells me that one of the reasons it's still so deadly is that relatively little money is allocated towards specific research, hence there are very few experiments undertaken.

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:36 am

Sorry for your loss Sackville.

I can only hope they one day find a cure for it so others do not have to go through the same experiences as on this thread.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:26 am

Sorry for your loss Sackville and I can totally sympathise with everyone on this thread who had lost loved ones to this horrible disease.

My mum passed away from pancreatic cancer aged just 46 back in 1976 when sadly the chances of survival then after diagnosis was virtually nil :-(
This user liked this post: TomtheClaret

TomtheClaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 153 times

Post by TomtheClaret » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:21 pm

Vintage Claret wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:26 am
Sorry for your loss Sackville and I can totally sympathise with everyone on this thread who had lost loved ones to this horrible disease.

My mum passed away from pancreatic cancer aged just 46 back in 1976 when sadly the chances of survival then after diagnosis was virtually nil :-(
Vintage Claret, Not sure survival rates have improved much over the years? I don't have any figures to back it up, other than experience.
A passing acquaintance, aged 42, did three marathons in 3 days, a year before diagnosis and regular iron man contests before that, lasted two and a half years from diagnosis. without chemo. Not sure if chemo can cure or simply gives extra time?

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:57 pm

Hi Tom, no sadly, I don't think survival rates have improved significantly - apparently only around 10% of patients with an early diagnosis survive up to 5 years (of course there are always exceptions, Apple founder Steve Jobs for example lasted 7 years).

From my very limited research on the subject, surgery to remove the tumour (if possible) is the primary treatment -chemo and/or radio therapy doesn't cure it but can ease the symptoms and extend life expectancy in some patients.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:14 am

Vintage Claret wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:57 pm
Hi Tom, no sadly, I don't think survival rates have improved significantly - apparently only around 10% of patients with an early diagnosis survive up to 5 years (of course there are always exceptions, Apple founder Steve Jobs for example lasted 7 years).

From my very limited research on the subject, surgery to remove the tumour (if possible) is the primary treatment -chemo and/or radio therapy doesn't cure it but can ease the symptoms and extend life expectancy in some patients.
Steve Jobbs had I believe a neuroendocrine tumour of the pancreas which has a better life expectancy hence his 7 year survival

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:16 am

The 5-year relative survival rate for a pancreas NET that has not spread to other parts of the body from where it started is 95%. If the tumor has spread to nearby tissue or the regional lymph nodes, the 5-year relative survival rate is 72%.

BurnleyBob
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by BurnleyBob » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:15 pm

Very sorry to hear of your loss. My wife died 10 years ago after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 18 months before her death. She had three operations attempting the Whipple procedure which on the third occasion removed the tumour but sadly she died a couple of weeks later from an infection that led to sepsis.
I did meet someone who had survived this deadly cancer. I met him at the Burnley Park Run a few years ago and he told me his operation was successful and that he had made a full recovery. He was quite elderly too.
Unfortunately survival rates for this cancer have not improved in recent years.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:31 pm

Sackville - so sorry to hear about your sister.

A good friend of mine lost his wife to pancreatic cancer around nine years ago. I learned then some more about it. His wife did some fundraising and she wrote: “Pancreatic cancer is the 5th most common cause of cancer death in the UK, with the lowest survival rate of the 21 most common cancers. Out of 100 patients diagnosed, under 4% of patients survive five years or more. Despite all this, Pancreatic Cancer receives only 1% of the total Cancer Research Spend. What is really terrifying is that in the last 40 years pancreatic cancer survival rates have barely changed.”

She sadly passed away fourteen months after diagnosis.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:14 pm

I think there are or will be trials of immunotherapy for this type of cancer as chemotherapy doesnt offer much but not every pancreatic cancer will be suitable to have treated by immunotherapy, which gets the body to kill the tumour or starves the cancer of those factors that make the cells grow-all very clever and technical stuff.

groove
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 545 times

Post by groove » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:03 pm

Sorry to hear this sad news about your sister mate. As another poster stated, Wilson Johnson recovered with no medal intervention. I think the treatment for most cancers is invasive and if in this situation I think I'd use as much natural remedies as possible. Maybe CBD etc. I don't trust big pharma though. Apologies if I seem insensitive. Sorry again.

matucana
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by matucana » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:16 pm

Sorry to learn of your loss. It is a dreadful disease. A survivor of the disease is Chris Rea who was diagnosed in 1994. He had his pancreas removed along with his gallbladder and part of his liver. Last toured I believe in 2017 following the release of an album. Has been quiet of late. Has a huge back catalogue of music which is worth a listen. A much underrated artist of our time.