Are Arsenal playing more British game than us?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2017 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Are Arsenal playing more British game than us?

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:29 pm

Looking ahead to the Arsenal game and one thing I have to take my hat off to Mikel Arteta for is spotting the weakness in the new fashion for ‘ball playing goalkeepers’ that try to pat away shots and crosses because they lack physicality. It seems he has been quicker than most to recognise there are easy pickings to be had employing more traditional ‘British game’ tactics, alongside his Pep type pass and move style against most teams this season. With goalkeepers receiving less protection than for many years it has payed off handsomely and seems nailed on to give us a horror show next game.

My solace is that Arteta took a good eighteen months to really get his bandwagon moving when he first took over, not that I expect Burnley will have that luxury, but we can (and some of us do) live in hope we can yet see a mini run that pulls our heads above water this season.

I do not want this to turn into another ‘Trafford’ thread, so assuming our first choice keeper starts; I really hope VK and his team look to go man for man in defence and offer our young keeper some protection.

Very interested to hear any other thoughts (other than drop the keeper) on this…
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5070 times

Re: Are Arsenal playing more British game than us?

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:22 pm

Style is irrelevant really, people have their own personal favourite, and as in beef or lamb, there is no right or wrong answer, just a preference.

SD was pragmatic enough to choose a style, that would be deliverable by his squad of players.
VK on the other hand, and I'm confident we all prefer his 'style' of football, is asking the players to deliver something they aren't ready for. Individually a lot of talent, but a good team requires strength in key areas, and without going into a debate, we all know where we are weak.

Given time we can get there, but it's too little, too late, to save this season. Going forward we need Mr. Pace to continue backing VK, but we also need VK to question himself, and some of the decisions he's made this season. Hindsight is only a wonderful thing if you take advantage of it.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:24 pm

VK and the set piece coach seem to have a habit of putting our smallest player generally Odobert or Vitinho on the opposition player whose tasked to challenge Trafford ,a recipe for disaster against the Gooners.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2260 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:47 pm

Good OP - Arteta is very good at making slight tweaks and tapering his system to really get after the opposition, without as you say restricting their own play style too much.

442 did a good breakdown on a change he made against West Ham to blow them away in the second half - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5beivGJWHFc

But yeah I expect a real challenge in all areas on the pitch, I sincerely hope VK has got a plan to at least try and keep us in the game at set pieces - something needs to change.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:28 pm

“Patting away shots” is nothing whatsoever to do with physicality , it’s simply one of the “ micro trends” that have ebbed and flowed with coaches and tactics . I can’t stand punching out unless it’s a real pressure outswinger but plenty of coaches think the % ‘s are slightly better with a good flap/punch as players can reset and 50/50 on possession.

Kicking from hands and occasional long balls have been back in last couple of yrs and , sweeping has also taken a back step .

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:41 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:28 pm
“Patting away shots” is nothing whatsoever to do with physicality , it’s simply one of the “ micro trends” that have ebbed and flowed with coaches and tactics . I can’t stand punching out unless it’s a real pressure outswinger but plenty of coaches think the % ‘s are slightly better with a good flap/punch as players can reset and 50/50 on possession.

Kicking from hands and occasional long balls have been back in last couple of yrs and , sweeping has also taken a back step .
Back in the day ,yawn,English keepers always caught the ball,but the foreign keepers always fisted ,now they just tap and flap.

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:22 pm
Style is irrelevant really, people have their own personal favourite, and as in beef or lamb, there is no right or wrong answer, just a preference.

SD was pragmatic enough to choose a style, that would be deliverable by his squad of players.
VK on the other hand, and I'm confident we all prefer his 'style' of football, is asking the players to deliver something they aren't ready for. Individually a lot of talent, but a good team requires strength in key areas, and without going into a debate, we all know where we are weak.

Given time we can get there, but it's too little, too late, to save this season. Going forward we need Mr. Pace to continue backing VK, but we also need VK to question himself, and some of the decisions he's made this season. Hindsight is only a wonderful thing if you take advantage of it.

I'm no sold on, dyche did what he had to with the squad he had thinking.
Some of them players became better "footballers" overnight when he left. Probably a bit a freedom and relax mentality.
But he's also playing very simular with the Everton squad he has now. Very simular.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:59 pm

alboclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 pm
I'm no sold on, dyche did what he had to with the squad he had thinking.
Some of them players became better "footballers" overnight when he left.
Which players became better footballers?