Superbowl parade shooting

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5664 times

Re: Superbowl parade shooting

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:14 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:33 pm
I don’t know about other states but in Florida there are plenty of gun shops selling guns and ammo.

We had some bloke up on the roof of our building in the middle of the night a few nights back and so some of the neighbours went up to investigate - all were armed.

People tend not to discuss their weapons or lack of them though, for obvious reasons.
yes plenty of gun shops in Texas and here, just not seeing anything in Walmart/Supermarkets for example. Do you see any on the East coast ?

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:45 pm
I've only been into any Walmarts in Texas and Nevada and nothing, my brother lives in Wisconsin so I'll ask him if he's seen any up that way - he's never mentioned it and knowing how anti-gun he is I'm sure he would have done. It must vary by state as you say. Where do you live aggi ?
I'm in London but pre-covid I used to have lots of work trips to the US each year. About half to NY and half to random places.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:22 am

From 1967 to 1972, my Father worked for Hallmark Cards, and he was responsible for opening and running a new print facility in Rathfarnham, Dublin. By 1972, they were keen for him to move to Kansas City for the next part of his career, and my sister and I, aged 8 and 6, stayed with our Gran as Mum and Dad were invited to Kansas City for a week, followed by a paid for 7 day holiday in the States, and a sweetener of a voyage home on the QE2 ...

Dad's time in Kansas was a series of meetings and courses, whilst Mum was treated to shopping trips, a tour to Arrowhead Stadium etc. On one day, she was taken for lunch by the wives of 3 Executives and then back to one of their homes .. She was shown round, 4 bedrooms, pool, double sink en-suite etc. Whilst admiring the walk in wardrobe, her host pointed to a locked Cabinet, " and of course, Jo, this is where Bob and I keep our guns, in case of a break-in " .... That made her mind up, and two years later, we moved to Clitheroe for the next step of Dad's career !!

The QE2 trip had an interesting story, as it was when a bomb threat was phoned through to Cunard ...

https://www.worldofcruising.co.uk/edito ... scare-1970

It turned out to be a hoax, but in 1972, times were different. Amongst the passengers there were many WW2 veterans and others who'd done their National Service. As Dad recalled, around 160 of us gathered in the main ballroom, and split into 8 squads of 20, 4 American, 3 British and one Canadian. Each squad was given an area of the ship to conduct a preliminary search, with orders not to touch, but report any suspicious looking items. When the Royal Marines " bomb squad " eventually came aboard, they were amazed to be presented with a full appraisal by a retired Colonel, from the US Rangers ! Different times ...
This user liked this post: forzagranata