Everton v Palace

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Re: Everton v Palace

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:41 pm
Equaliser comes in the most likely way
The template for Saturday CT.

I’m sure VK is watching and taking notes. 8-)

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:46 pm

What were our stats like from set pieces under Dyche? I’m sure someone will know the answer. Whilst we seemed to have a reputation as a long ball set piece team, I don’t actually feel like we scored from that many. Everton seem far more dangerous from them under Dyche than we did.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1756 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:49 pm

PremierLeagueClass wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:46 pm
What were our stats like from set pieces under Dyche? I’m sure someone will know the answer. Whilst we seemed to have a reputation as a long ball set piece team, I don’t actually feel like we scored from that many. Everton seem far more dangerous from them under Dyche than we did.
I don’t think we did either. Certainly not in the early days anyway. Vaguely remember him being asked about our lack of goals a from corners few times and him replying about how statistically rare goals from corners were.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:49 pm

Completely different than my memory. I think we scored a significant proportion of our goals from set pieces.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:50 pm

I seem to recall the average is a goal every 22 corners.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 pm

This game is the reason I have long said there is little difference between us and these teams.

Add the VAR / ref robberies and our points are similar to Forest and Palace (Dyche of course would have Everton a bit higher but for the points deduction, because of a rock solid defence, but the rest of their game is turgid).

We’ve just had bad luck with injuries and illness, bad luck with officials, then have shot ourselves in one foot with team selections omitting experience and then shot ourselves in the other with occasional errors.

We’re going down, but I do see us bouncing back up. We’re too good not to.

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 847 times

Post by Murger » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:56 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 pm
This game is the reason I have long said there is little difference between us and these teams.

Add the VAR / ref robberies and our points are similar to Forest and Palace (Dyche of course would have Everton a bit higher but for the points deduction, because of a rock solid defence, but the rest of their game is turgid).

We’ve just had bad luck with injuries and illness, bad luck with officials, then have shot ourselves in one foot with team selections omitting experience and then shot ourselves in the other with occasional errors.

Massive difference. Everton are so much better than we are in literally every department.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:56 pm

Boos at the end.

Brighton, West Ham, United and Liverpool for them next. Big period.

Sgt. Pepper
Been Liked: 52 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by Sgt. Pepper » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:58 pm

Quality wise that game wasn't exactly a great advert for the self professed "greatest league in the world".

Despite that, Palace have nearly double the amount of points we have, and if it wasn't for the points deduction Everton would be in twelfth with thirty points.

Just look at the goal difference, us and Sheffield United are comfortably the two worst teams in the division.
Not being able to defend, and not scoring is obviously not a route to success.
Probably stating the obvious, but at the minute we can only dream of seeing anyone in a Claret and Blue shirt showing the level of commitment and endeavour (let alone quality) shown by Tarkowski and McNeil.

Dyche and (the departed) Hodgson's brands of pragmatic football may be dull to watch at times, but they stand more chance of success than the approach (whatever that may be) we seem to have adopted. Unfortunately that's one of the reasons why the the scrap for survival at the lower end of the Premier League loses its appeal after a while for many.suppoters.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:58 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

I’ll think you’ll find that Forest have had a lot more bad decisions than us regarding VAR,the bottom line is we’re where we are because we are shockingly inept, and deserve everything we get.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:59 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Yet they both beat us 2 - 0 at home without getting out of second gear, that’s why we are going down

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:59 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

Many clubs have suffered with injuries and some far more than us. Newcastle, for example. Crystal Palace were missing their 3 best young players tonight in Guehi, Eze and Olise.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:00 pm

Stacks wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:16 pm
Mcneil just ran his a** off in full sprint trying to press. Have you seen Tresor or Ramsey do that all year?
I remember Tresor racing back at full sprint against both Chelsea and Liverpool to help his defence. I don’t think he has adapted yet to the tempo, but the ridicule is, well, ridiculous.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:02 pm

We scored plenty from set pieces.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:49 pm
Completely different than my memory. I think we scored a significant proportion of our goals from set pieces.
Yes like the Chris Wood header from a corner against..... Everton.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:07 pm

We scored from corners sometimes, Westwood could certainly place set piece with accuracy.

distortiondave
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by distortiondave » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:12 pm

It's hard to remember goals from corners (or similar free kicks) because they are boring goals.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:13 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:07 pm
We scored from corners sometimes, Westwood could certainly place set piece with accuracy.
Seem to remember Westwood off a corner ,Ings missing a cross and us scoring against Southampton or whoever he was playing for .

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:17 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:59 pm
Yet they both beat us 2 - 0 at home without getting out of second gear, that’s why we are going down
Would that be the Palace game where we had 68% possession, had 17 shots to 4, 12 corners to 1?

They were lucky that Beyer made an error and that we had J Rod in for Foster. I’m not convinced had we scored that they would have come again.

I don’t mind the genuine criticism of us, I make it too including on that post you quoted, but fans are starting to rewrite history which is what I don’t think is fair.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:02 pm
We scored plenty from set pieces.
I’m just not sure we did. Would be interested to see the stats but not sure how to go about finding them. I do think we became more effective towards the end of the Dyche era but overall we weren’t great. As someone else mentioned above, I think it was commented on a few times how strange it was we didn’t score more from set pieces (given our reputation).

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:31 pm

All the other teams seem more able than us!

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:17 pm
Would that be the Palace game where we had 68% possession, had 17 shots to 4, 12 corners to 1?

And lost 2 - 0 so what does that tell you?

Casper2
Been Liked: 223 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:38 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:00 pm
I remember Tresor racing back at full sprint against both Chelsea and Liverpool to help his defence. I don’t think he has adapted yet to the tempo, but the ridicule is, well, ridiculous.
That’ll be why he’s first name on the team sheet :roll:

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:36 am

Our problem comes from lack of steel in midfield and our dismal failure by VK to recognise and respond in January
Tressor and Ramsey cost millions and offer the square root of sod all to our team why we pursued both is mystery

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:15 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:36 am
Our problem comes from lack of steel in midfield and our dismal failure by VK to recognise and respond in January
Tressor and Ramsey cost millions and offer the square root of sod all to our team why we pursued both is mystery
I think both are and will be good players, for us or elsewhere.

As you say though, not what we need.

For all the talk of full backs and strikers, I agree that the biggest issue we’ve faced all season has been not having enough steel in central midfield. Need a big, strong, enforcer type with a good passing range.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:21 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:36 am
I get mocked for supporting Tresor like in the above thread, I’ve never claimed he has adapted yet but he does try. Personally though I would now be playing Tresor on the right where he played against Chelsea, not ideal when a player needs to adapt to play him out of position but we need wins and we know he is creative and also has a great dead ball, that with Odobert on the left and Fofana / Amdouni in the middle could be too hot to handle. Obviously that was a naive formation for the top three in recent weeks but VK would argue we could have grabbed a shock win at Anfield doing it, and the games to come are easier so warrant “going for it” and hoping for a miracle.

Trouble is, is Tresor dropped or injured, we don’t know because they don’t tell us anything, which is incompetence really because it fuels all kinds of unhelpful speculation.

On the point about steel in midfield, I’m not disagreeing, but I noticed last weekend both Berge and Brownhill were in the top dozen or so for tackles and interceptions, which flies in the face of the accusations of the team not trying (heads dropping after the 3rd goal is another matter).

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:24 am

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 pm
And lost 2 - 0 so what does that tell you?
That we deserved to win of course, as Roy said at the time.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:31 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:21 am
I get mocked for supporting Tresor like in the above thread, I’ve never claimed he has adapted yet but he does try. Personally though I would now be playing Tresor on the right where he played against Chelsea, not ideal when a player needs to adapt to play him out of position but we need wins and we know he is creative and also has a great dead ball, that with Odobert on the left and Fofana / Amdouni in the middle could be too hot to handle. Obviously that was a naive formation for the top three in recent weeks but VK would argue we could have grabbed a shock win at Anfield doing it, and the games to come are easier so warrant “going for it” and hoping for a miracle.

Trouble is, is Tresor dropped or injured, we don’t know because they don’t tell us anything, which is incompetence really because it fuels all kinds of unhelpful speculation.

On the point about steel in midfield, I’m not disagreeing, but I noticed last weekend both Berge and Brownhill were in the top dozen or so for tackles and interceptions, which flies in the face of the accusations of the team not trying (heads dropping after the 3rd goal is another matter).
He doesn't try enough off the ball, in fact of all the players we've had in the last 10 to 15 years, I can't remember a single one that has offered so little in that sense along with having such dreadful body language. It seems pretty clear that hes been brought up being known as an exceptionally talented player and treated as such, thats not to say he doesnt want to win but gives off an impression that the dirty work should be done by the rest of the team to allow him the freedom to go and create.

However in this league that doesnt work, even the City and Arsenal players all work their balls off. Its why the Ozil's of this world have died off a bit at present. If he isn't willing to adapt then he will never be a PL player.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:43 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:24 am
That we deserved to win of course, as Roy said at the time.

Oh dear, rewriting history again.

Roy never stated in his post match interview that “Burnley deserved to win”. What he did say was that a truer reflection of the game would have been a 0-1 victory gained by hard work and diligence but that a 0-2 victory flattered Palace somewhat.

You can still hear his post match interview on the BBC results page should you require clarification.