Professor Brian Cox

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Professor Brian Cox

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:10 pm

Anyone else go to see this man on Friday in Blackburn. Must say, got to be one of the most interesting people i have ever listened too.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Re: Professor Brian Cox

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:11 pm

I think he’s brilliant - especially on his podcast that I listen to, the infinite monkey cage - some of the subjects they discuss are so interesting.
These 2 users liked this post: HunterST_BFC mybloodisclaret

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:17 pm

Went to see him in Leeds about 2 years ago and was really looking forward to it.

He lost us after about 15 minutes. More of a lecture for nuclear physicists
than entertainment for us lesser, yet still intelligent mortals.

The photography, however, is amazing.

Hope you enjoy it - report back if you would, please. Be interesting to hear
what you have to say.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:06 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:17 pm
Went to see him in Leeds about 2 years ago and was really looking forward to it.

what you have to say.
I thought the original poster was saying he’d been to see him last Friday as against going this Friday. I suppose it can be interpreted either way but I’m going for he went last Friday. :)

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:12 pm

He's seen some black holes in his time buy I'm not sure he'll have experienced anything quite like Blackburn before.
These 5 users liked this post: bfcjg Bosscat Rick_Muller Taffy on the wing Juan Tanamera

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:15 pm

”The natural world is beautiful, but complex. The skies dance with colour. Shapes form and disappear. But this seemingly infinite complexity is just a shadow of something deeper – the underlying laws of nature. The world is beautiful to look at, but it is even more beautiful to understand.” (Brian Cox, Forces of Nature)

Brian Cox, the erudite physicist and scientific communicator has been a recent favourite of mine to watch. Documentary by documentary, I have been working through all that he currently has on offer. So it was with pleasure that I settled in to watch Cox work his way through four interesting puzzles in nature.

‘The Universe in a Snowflake’ - How can the fundamental forces of physics explain a wide breadth of natural phenomena?

‘Somewhere in Spacetime’ - How does our understanding of our motion through time and space intertwine for us to understand seasons, climate and time itself?

‘The Moth and the Flame’ - How can basic chemical relationships in the world, over vast periods of time, naturally result in the living complexity we see today?

"The Pale Blue Dot" - How do the colours of a world explain what a world is made of and how it supports life?

" James Trafford "- How a goalkeeper can get all the fundamentals wrong but is an immovable force.

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:17 pm

I used to work with his brother in law, he was an arsehole.

Not that that’s got owt to do with the price of fish but there you go.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:26 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:17 pm
I used to work with his brother in law, he was an arsehole.

Not that that’s got owt to do with the price of fish but there you go.
I wonder if it was black ? 😁

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:57 pm

Sounds interesting ....will check him out.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:23 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:12 pm
He's seen some black holes in his time buy I'm not sure he'll have experienced anything quite like Blackburn before.
4,000 holes.

Probably.
This user liked this post: morpheus2

morpheus2
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 1855 times

Post by morpheus2 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:56 pm

Yeah, but the holes were rather small, they had to count them all - the super black holes at the centre of galaxies can be the size of something like the orbit of Uranus around the sun. Now thats big - bigger even than some of the craters up Birtwistle Avenue in Colne ....which is paradoxically soley inhabited by tarmacers.
These 2 users liked this post: Jel gawthorpe_view

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:40 pm

morpheus2 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:56 pm
Yeah, but the holes were rather small, they had to count them all - the super black holes at the centre of galaxies can be the size of something like the orbit of Uranus around the sun. Now thats big - bigger even than some of the craters up Birtwistle Avenue in Colne ....which is paradoxically soley inhabited by tarmacers.
AKA "THE RAT RUN"..😁

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:45 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:15 pm
”The natural world is beautiful, but complex. The skies dance with colour. Shapes form and disappear. But this seemingly infinite complexity is just a shadow of something deeper – the underlying laws of nature. The world is beautiful to look at, but it is even more beautiful to understand.” (Brian Cox, Forces of Nature)

Brian Cox, the erudite physicist and scientific communicator has been a recent favourite of mine to watch. Documentary by documentary, I have been working through all that he currently has on offer. So it was with pleasure that I settled in to watch Cox work his way through four interesting puzzles in nature.

‘The Universe in a Snowflake’ - How can the fundamental forces of physics explain a wide breadth of natural phenomena?

‘Somewhere in Spacetime’ - How does our understanding of our motion through time and space intertwine for us to understand seasons, climate and time itself?

‘The Moth and the Flame’ - How can basic chemical relationships in the world, over vast periods of time, naturally result in the living complexity we see today?

"The Pale Blue Dot" - How do the colours of a world explain what a world is made of and how it supports life?

" James Trafford "- How a goalkeeper can get all the fundamentals wrong but is an immovable force.
Brilliant.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:47 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:17 pm

what you have to say.
How does he sleep at night with so much going round in his head ,when they talk about millions of light years my head explodes.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:58 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:23 pm
4,000 holes.

Probably.
Or the big one that Venky’s are losing their rupees in.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 515 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:43 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:12 pm
He will probably want to confirm the existence of worm holes afterwards..such is the step back in time he will experience. :D

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:11 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:15 pm

Only VK understands the science behind your last paragraph.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:31 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:11 pm
I think he’s brilliant - especially on his podcast that I listen to, the infinite monkey cage...
🤔 As good as in the Jason Bourne films. 😉

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4036 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:55 pm

Didn't know he was on down the road but find him extremely interesting and a great speaker, his knowledge is immense. I like him.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:06 am

D:REAM not making a comeback ?

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:31 am

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:06 am
D:REAM not making a comeback ?
Things can only get better

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:23 am

I find him and quite a few other modern TV presenters irritating - e.g. Alice Roberts, Helen Czerski (almost a female clone of Cox). They have this 'look at me' attitude and also this habit of appearing to be walking in front of you, turning their head and talking back whilst simultaneously offering a false smile. It's like they've been trained in the same presentational school.

It's a shame I have this problem with them because I don't doubt their abilities and the subjects they present are interesting. But then I don't even like the older version of David Attenborough.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:31 am

Hipper wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:23 am
I find him and quite a few other modern TV presenters irritating - e.g. Alice Roberts, Helen Czerski (almost a female clone of Cox). They have this 'look at me' attitude and also this habit of appearing to be walking in front of you, turning their head and talking back whilst simultaneously offering a false smile. It's like they've been trained in the same presentational school.

It's a shame I have this problem with them because I don't doubt their abilities and the subjects they present are interesting. But then I don't even like the older version of David Attenborough.
Now Lucy Worsley is a different kettle of fish. Love her style and content.