Directors box

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11055 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Re: Directors box

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:21 pm

No cohesive argument, resorts to pettiness. That'll work.

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:26 pm

Shouldn't you be enjoying some Dude Perfect Burnley content? Grow the brand Vegas!

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:30 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:26 pm
Shouldn't you be enjoying some Dude Perfect Burnley content? Grow the brand Vegas!
You literally make my point for me, some going that

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:32 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:57 pm
Miserable? I'm literally sat here laughing at the Pacebots contorting themselves in defence of baseball caps and open necked shirts....
Your a pretty sad bloke aren’t you

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:09 pm

I’m just slightly disappointed to see Pep Guardiola and Mikel Arteta ruled out of the interview process because of the way they dress.

Dear Sir,

Thankyou for your application to be the manager of The Burnley Football And Athletic Club, However due to recent media searches showing a lack of wearing a tie and suit jacket, we are unable to take your application any further,

Yours faithfully

Little Al
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

ISpeds00
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by ISpeds00 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:12 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:25 pm
no mention of it last season when we were winning - tells you all you need to know. The agenda from some is pretty epic
******* nail on the head

Any angle at the min for these part time fans, to find something to winge or moan about
it's getting boring now

who gives a toss whos wearing what in the directors box
pay your ticket and watch the match

Leon_C
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Leon_C » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:32 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:44 pm
One of the best barristers I ever worked with was very unkempt, mostly unshaven, very rarely wore a tie outside of court, sported a pony tail which at the time was almost unheard of amongst professional people.
I recall a meeting with one of Britain's only solicitor QCs (would now be a KC, naturally - and most other QC/KCs would indeed be barristers.) He was, at that moment, representing various high profile celebrities in media and defamation cases you would be seeing nightly on the 6 o'clock news.

In a meeting at his office on The Strand, he wore jeans, and a pair of boots, with an actual hole in the sole. (He apologised for the condition of his footwear - as he had his feet on the table for bloodflow, after a football injury.) I can assure you that neither he, nor the household names who sought him to represent them, gave one hoot what he wore. Except, of course, his traditional attire in court which is decreed by the Bar Council.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:26 pm

What is in no doubt is that the Sean Dyche “train as you play” ethos delivered more than the sum of the parts.

To be fair to Kompany though, he seems relaxed about dress code in training and approaching the ground, but his players probably put more hours in than under any previous manager, and training is meant to be intense.

As for ties, when I go to win a new business contract I make a point of never wearing a tie - they are meant to be buying my business not my tie, and judging me and my staff on brains and personality not sartorial elegance. If they see it the other way they aren’t the type of business I want to win.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:58 pm

Leon_C wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:32 pm

In a meeting at his office on The Strand, he wore jeans, and a pair of boots, with an actual hole in the sole. (He apologised for the condition of his footwear - as he had his feet on the table for bloodflow, after a football injury.) I can assure you that neither he, nor the household names who sought him to represent them, gave one hoot what he wore. Except, of course, his traditional attire in court which is decreed by the Bar Council.
Well, exactly.

His clients were bohemian types with an antipathy for suits - he dressed appropriately.

But when undertaking formal duties, he dressed formally.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:50 am

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:58 pm
Well, exactly.

His clients were bohemian types with an antipathy for suits - he dressed appropriately.

But when undertaking formal duties, he dressed formally.
he didn't have a choice

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:11 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:26 pm
What is in no doubt is that the Sean Dyche “train as you play” ethos delivered more than the sum of the parts.

To be fair to Kompany though, he seems relaxed about dress code in training and approaching the ground, but his players probably put more hours in than under any previous manager, and training is meant to be intense.

As for ties, when I go to win a new business contract I make a point of never wearing a tie - they are meant to be buying my business not my tie, and judging me and my staff on brains and personality not sartorial elegance. If they see it the other way they aren’t the type of business I want to win.
Little bit O/T but.. There's something in training exactly as you play.

Sport specificity and skill transfer is a very interesting topic; tiny little differences can really throw people off their game.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:52 am

Trying to think of a game I have attended where I have been arsed about what someone in a directors box is wearing and the answer is none.

You would have to be a bit odd for it to even enter your thoughts while at the match. If you are watching on tv and it bothers you this much then turn it off. When did we become such a whiny fanbase.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:53 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:11 am
Little bit O/T but.. There's something in training exactly as you play.

Sport specificity and skill transfer is a very interesting topic; tiny little differences can really throw people off their game.
Dyche explained the reason why he makes players wear shin pads in training when he moved to Everton and it was to reduce the risk of soft tissue injuries and it makes absolute sense to training exactly how you would play.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:12 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:52 am
Trying to think of a game I have attended where I have been arsed about what someone in a directors box is wearing and the answer is none.

You would have to be a bit odd for it to even enter your thoughts while at the match. If you are watching on tv and it bothers you this much then turn it off. When did we become such a whiny fanbase.
When we started losing
These 4 users liked this post: Leisure NewClaret Vegas Claret Holtyclaret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:24 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:53 am
Dyche explained the reason why he makes players wear shin pads in training when he moved to Everton and it was to reduce the risk of soft tissue injuries and it makes absolute sense to training exactly how you would play.
Surrey FA Walking Football League has rule that all walking footballers must wear shin pads. Strictly enforced before every walking football game. It's a surprise to some. In addition to not being allowed to run, walking football is intended to be non-contact. Shin pads can protect our legs when the occasional, unintended trainer connects with a walking footballer's shin. Older legs/bodies don't recover as quickly from bumps and bruises, more so if you are taking blood thinners and other medications.
This user liked this post: ŽižkovClaret

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:51 am

forzagranata wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:20 pm
But as mentioned earlier in the thread - if you look at the director's box at the top clubs, club ownership and other leaders are wearing shirt and tie.

It's not just a British thing either - you won't see John Henry at Liverpool wearing a baseball cap for example.
If you really want a serious answer, a lot has changed in this kind of area in the past twenty years or so and this has been accelerated by Covid and hybrid working. Wearing a suit and tie has gone from the norm to the exception in many professional services.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:16 pm

Just skimmed through this thread for the first time.

Holy sh-it how bad has this messageboard become ?

Was our directors box full of people wearing tuxedos and ball gowns last season ? Presumably it must have been given the direct correlation between attire and league points.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:50 pm

So people are correct that times are changed, but not so in offering the reasons why, though they illustrate it perfectly on occasion.

Formality in dress used to be done as a mark of respect for:
- the role you undertook
- the person/client/customer you were facing
- the occasion/event/gathering you were attending

note is was not about what you thought about yourself, or your choices (otherwise known as ego) which is the essence of the situation that society has now arrived at.

this change in attitude and practice appears reflected directly in communications, particularly on social media (like this board and even thread) and the general F.U. attitudes that most of us witness/experience on a daily basis when going about our business. Society has in general become much more visibly harsh as a result. While, I do note that other tolerances which did not appear in times when such conformity are now much more widespread. I am yet to be convinced that they are a result of the changes I have mentioned above.

That said, I recognise that there are a lot of other complicating factors involved.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:58 pm

'Formality in dress used to be done as a mark of respect for:
- the role you undertook
- the person/client/customer you were facing
- the occasion/event/gathering you were attending,
Chester Perry

I agree. Standards and respect have slipped. The casual approach to dress can be reflected in the approach to most things.
This user liked this post: forzagranata

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:21 pm

Funnily enough the institutions in the last couple of decades that have decided to keep the old suit, shirt and tie dress code are often those that have failed to move with the times in many other area too - like technology, flexible working practices, online presence etc etc.

Look at many local councils or government departments or large institutions like the NHS. These types of institutions take years or decades to catch up with the rest of the world in many areas…and dress code is one of them.

The vast majority of banks and finance companies started relaxing dress code away from full suit, shirt and tie 30 years ago.

It’s a very different world now. You do not have to dress in a certain way to command respect. It’s how you act not how you dress. If you turn up in a suit, shirt and tie and are clueless or rude how does that gain more respect than someone still dressed smartly but without a suit, shirt and tie who is very knowledgeable, treats you with respect as an equal and gives you the advice or service you expect ?
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:27 pm

Politicians wear suits.

I can't think of a better example of the dressing formal (especially to a football match) is a nonsense rather a necessity to impress others. Still it gives some a bit more ammo to have a go at.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm

Someone says he wants to see Alan Pace looking smart and we get 4 days (and counting) of remonstration. It does reflect very poorly on the messageboard aye.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:45 pm

I’ll tell you what, when we won the league in 1960 the fans didn’t turn up to games in replica kits, tracksuit tops, baseball caps, woolly hats etc.

It’s about time we took a long hard look at ourselves as fans in my opinion.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:50 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:45 pm
I’ll tell you what, when we won the league in 1960 the fans didn’t turn up to games in replica kits, tracksuit tops, baseball caps, woolly hats etc.

It’s about time we took a long hard look at ourselves as fans in my opinion.

Apparently adults in football shirts is quite a smart look, especially if you have your name or another adults name on the back

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:55 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:21 pm
Funnily enough the institutions in the last couple of decades that have decided to keep the old suit, shirt and tie dress code are often those that have failed to move with the times in many other area too - like technology, flexible working practices, online presence etc etc.

Look at many local councils or government departments or large institutions like the NHS. These types of institutions take years or decades to catch up with the rest of the world in many areas…and dress code is one of them.

The vast majority of banks and finance companies started relaxing dress code away from full suit, shirt and tie 30 years ago.

It’s a very different world now. You do not have to dress in a certain way to command respect. It’s how you act not how you dress. If you turn up in a suit, shirt and tie and are clueless or rude how does that gain more respect than someone still dressed smartly but without a suit, shirt and tie who is very knowledgeable, treats you with respect as an equal and gives you the advice or service you expect ?
I'd say there may be other things that local councils, the NHS and government departments have in common, which may be behind their performance levels, other than people wearing suits.

But you are right that Pace is certainly trying to go for the 'tech bro' look with the gillet and baseball cap.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:08 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:55 pm
I'd say there may be other things that local councils, the NHS and government departments have in common, which may be behind their performance levels, other than people wearing suits.

But you are right that Pace is certainly trying to go for the 'tech bro' look with the gillet and baseball cap.
Not really the point I’m making.
I’m saying that these organisations still insisting on suits and ties (usually grey ones purchased from Burtons or Greenwood’s for less than £30 !!)…..are hardly great examples of people or organisations that you respect or want to deal with.

Do you think if Pace wore one of these grey suits and removed his cap we’d be fairing better on the pitch ? Or do you think fans would respect him more or think he’s better at his job ?

Ightenhill_Claret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Ightenhill_Claret » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:16 pm

I remember when I used to nip into a couple of the lounges pre-match and do a quick interview on stage with the ex-player guest a few years ago and I constantly had to borrow a tie from a steward to get into the Centre Spot because of the dress code at the time! (I was usually a shirt and pants/chinos type for sitting in the press box so not massively under-dressed!)

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:16 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:08 pm
Not really the point I’m making.
I’m saying that these organisations still insisting on suits and ties (usually grey ones purchased from Burtons or Greenwood’s for less than £30 !!)…..are hardly great examples of people or organisations that you respect or want to deal with.

Do you think if Pace wore one of these grey suits and removed his cap we’d be fairing better on the pitch ? Or do you think fans would respect him more or think he’s better at his job ?
I think if he dressed smartly and wore a suit like most chairman of football clubs do, that it would be more appropriate and set a different tone.

But I don't think this is an oversight on Pace's part. I think he chooses the 'tech bro' look for a reason.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:21 pm

You can just hear the interview now after winning at West Ham.

Yeah we started slowly and West Ham scored early on but as we made our way back to the centre circle we realised the Chairman had a suit on and well everything just clicked and we ran out comfortable winners

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:24 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:16 pm

I think he chooses the 'tech bro' look for a reason.
I agree.
I think he’s infiltrating the town with tech bots so they can use this is a base for their world head quarters.
They start off with getting rid of ties and it ends with all of us dressed in boiler suits on a cult camp brainwashed into obeying the leader ALAN.
His baseball cap is transmitting signals back to the mother ship in Deleware.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:28 pm

forzagranata wrote:
I think if he dressed smartly and wore a suit like most chairman of football clubs do, that it would be more appropriate and set a different tone.

But I don't think this is an oversight on Pace's part. I think he chooses the 'tech bro' look for a reason.
That look started off as "finance bros" with its roots in JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs and the rest in Manhattan post financial crisis. Given that Pace was a finance bro in Manhattan it's probably a fairly simple reason why he goes with that look.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:51 pm

I think it was a more recent adoption by Wall Street of the Silicon Valley look.

The Instagram account @midtownuniform has it all.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:53 pm

I wonder if they were minded to try and blend in a bit more with the increasing hostility to Wall St etc, and it just kind of stuck

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:47 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:51 pm
I think it was a more recent adoption by Wall Street of the Silicon Valley look.

The Instagram account @midtownuniform has it all.
I think West Coast is more quilted, East Coast is fleece.

But regardless, it's not much of a surprise that Pace is dressing as many of his peers did over the past dozen years.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:13 pm

If only this was a consideration when the buyout was happening.

Chris Farnell looks like a dapper, suit kind-of-a-guy.

Screenshot_20240307_161135_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240307_161135_Samsung Internet.jpg (194.27 KiB) Viewed 818 times

Theivley Pike
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Theivley Pike » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:22 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:50 pm
Apparently adults in football shirts is quite a smart look, especially if you have your name or another adults name on the back
And you’re over 50 and weigh about 15 stone,but they probably look better than some of the models that have been in the daily papers this week,and we could certainly do with some Pace on the pitch.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:12 am

My friend has a restaurant, and I told her if I owned one I'd only let people in if correctly attired.

She said 'You'd have a very empty restaurant'.
These 3 users liked this post: ŽižkovClaret Holtyclaret Vegas Claret

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1571 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:03 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:03 pm
It may seem trivial but there is a serious point.

Serious people dress appropriately and the attire of leaders sets a tone for the organization as a whole.

A manager wearing a crisp white shirt and a tie in club colours, for example, - sends a clear message and sets a tone and standard.

We currently have executives in baseball caps and casual jackets and a manager in a baggy white tee-shirt under a jacket and wearing a baseball cap.

We have players training in tights and snoods and gloves.

And we have the results.
We live in a world where folk don’t bother shaving anymore.

The business world is far more casual these days too outside of Wall Street and stock exchange scenarios.

Can’t think I’ve thought at anytime in the last years that Pace, vk, jj, the players don’t always look v smart, clean and presentable.

Understand where you’re coming from but it’s a bit odd to point it out as a factor in our poor season.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 744 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:07 pm

forzagranata wrote:

There's an awful, awful lot I think there is to criticise Pace on. I don't think his clothing is one, and as you even say I think the image he's marketing wouldn't be served by the suit, especially being folksy in the fanzone. It's like the people who don't like footballers having long hair or naff tattoos. Doesn't mean anything.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:09 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:13 pm

Yes you’re right, we’d have been much better off with him if that’s how he dresses. :lol:

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:17 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:13 pm

Looks like Liam Fox, which is not what you want, really.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:28 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:07 pm
Nope.

But it sends the wrong message and doesn't help.
You presumably have spoken to Klopp, Arteta and Guardiola about their appaling dress code?

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:41 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:46 pm
Simon Evans has to take the trophy for most miserable fella on this forum
Simon Evans was on the news quiz tonight and very good he was too.