The next Nathan Tella

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Re: The next Nathan Tella

Post by boyyanno » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:26 pm

There's a reason Tella got a big move to a top club and it's the same with Maatsen.

There's a reason the likes of Amdouni and Tresor came here.

I think just condensing him in to "goals" is what people are trying to do to play him down. The reality is it wasn't just his goalscoring that was impressive, it was also his first touch, his movement and especially how he pressed and often lead the press, his high intensity and energy is somthing only Vitinho gets close too and that's without having the same level of quality.

There's not a single new signing that's shown anything close to what Tella did for us so far. Foster was already here.
These 5 users liked this post: CoolClaret Carlos the Great k90bfc Exsus Wo Didi

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:16 pm

Leisure wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:09 pm
Their keeper made 6 saves on Sunday (1 great save and 5 run of the mill saves)! But still 6 on target!
Apart from the free kick I would have had a good chance of saving the rest, they were more like overhit back passes.

As alluded to, it was absolutely criminal that we didn't sign Tella.
This user liked this post: Carlos the Great

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:48 pm

I genuinely believed we were pretending we weren’t taht interested in Tella and then swoop in last minute .. I thought 15 million which was the initial price banded around was a bargain .. when it’s all fizzled out I was dumbstruck thinking wow !! Really ? What a kick in the teeth to Tella as well ..
This user liked this post: k90bfc

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:49 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:26 pm
There's a reason Tella got a big move to a top club and it's the same with Maatsen.

There's a reason the likes of Amdouni and Tresor came here.

I think just condensing him in to "goals" is what people are trying to do to play him down. The reality is it wasn't just his goalscoring that was impressive, it was also his first touch, his movement and especially how he pressed and often lead the press, his high intensity and energy is somthing only Vitinho gets close too and that's without having the same level of quality.

There's not a single new signing that's shown anything close to what Tella did for us so far. Foster was already here.
Yes, we were impressive in the Championship. A couple of our loanees did very well for us, and got really good deals for themselves as a result.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:27 pm

Leisure wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:18 pm
Really!
Just looked at their results and he appears to have scored just 2 goals this season and they were in the same game. Seems to be starting lots of games on the subs bench.
I think you'll find he'll still go down as a bundesliga winner.
15 appearances 4 goals 1 assist

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:25 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:13 pm
There's much more to his game than finishing though - his pressing and in behind threat was massive for us.

We could barely bag a goal got a slight knock to the end of last season - was a perfect duo/double act with Benson.

He could also play off the left and did earlier on before Zaroury signed.
I agree- I'm just making the point that there's a fair bit of revisionism regarding him as a clinical finisher and that I understand why for £20m at the time we didn't bid for him. He was much less effective on the left, thought he was very hit-miss early season with a few absent games. Loved him by the end, 100% think in hindsight it was a mistake and thought that by early October, doubly so once Foster had his mental health problems. But I don't think he was our outright most important attacker, I think that's a toss-up between any of Benson, Zaroury, Brownhill, Barnes, Tella, and even Cullen & Muric when you look at our whole approach. If you forced me to pick, I'd say early doors it was Brownhill then Zaroury, middle of the season a mix of players including Tella, end of season Benson.
But I also expected us to actually attempt to find a replacement Tella of equivalent ability for less money, or better for that price, and we haven't - the closest equivalent player in style is Larsen and he's only actally played that role maybe 2-3 times, scoring from it once. You'd think Amdouni could do it going off his attributes, but he doesn't press or work nearly hard enough to do it.
We miss him, but we don't have anyone being played in his role either, or a keeper who can make that role work as effectively as last year.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:57 pm

He hasn’t played regular this season wonder if he might be available next season. Definitely worth £15-20m if we want to bounce back straight away. 26 goals!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:30 am
They are already at the club. Koleosho, odobert, Tresor. There is a huge gulf in class between pl and championship and we are in that ghost league at the moment. These players will do very well in the championship for a season
Lots of skill but no idea how to score. Odobert possibly.

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:49 pm

Get Amad Diallo on loan for the season.