Motd

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Motd

Post by Sproggy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:44 am

There's a woman who does the co-comms on the early BT Sport game on a Saturday who is very good.

I think the issue is that for whatever reason pretty much all the channels have decided that punditry ability is no longer a required attribute to be a pundit. When they compound that with the obvious box-ticking that's going on it just makes things worse.

Maybe there is just a lack of people out there of any gender or race than can talk sensibly about what just happened in a football match?

Row Z
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:47 am

In the build up to their goal, you’ll see the same Brentford player (13) hit the floor at the near post under pressure from Amdouni…

Would seem like it’s a ploy from their player to try and win a penalty by initiating the grappling. That one didn’t get any appeals, although their goal did follow and the appeals for Muric on Toney were louder.

For what it’s worth Muric clearly punches the ball away and was big and physical - something we’ve been crying out for Trafford to show.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:03 am

The problem isn’t the gender of the pundits. The problem is the criteria which seems to be that the female pundits have represented the popular Lionesses within the last 5 years. Pretty much every female pundit I can think of has represented England very recently. Alex Scott being an exception and she was the trailblazer, so to speak.

The problem with this is it leaves a very narrow pool of ‘talent’, so it really is no surprise that the likes of Carney and Farah are extremely poor pundits. If you applied the same criteria when selecting male pundits then you’d probably see equally bad punditry. But because there are a lot more recognisable male footballers they are able to select ‘slightly’ more erudite people like Glen Murray who has had a relatively less impressive career but is a more renowned name.

Regardless of this, I can’t see who benefits from someone like Farah appearing on one of the BBC’s flagship shows.
This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:40 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:03 am
The problem isn’t the gender of the pundits. The problem is the criteria which seems to be that the female pundits have represented the popular Lionesses within the last 5 years. Pretty much every female pundit I can think of has represented England very recently. Alex Scott being an exception and she was the trailblazer, so to speak.

The problem with this is it leaves a very narrow pool of ‘talent’, so it really is no surprise that the likes of Carney and Farah are extremely poor pundits. If you applied the same criteria when selecting male pundits then you’d probably see equally bad punditry. But because there are a lot more recognisable male footballers they are able to select ‘slightly’ more erudite people like Glen Murray who has had a relatively less impressive career but is a more renowned name.

Regardless of this, I can’t see who benefits from someone like Farah appearing on one of the BBC’s flagship shows.
Not even sure why it has to be an ex player of recent year? Tons of out of work managers etc.

You get far better analysis off a Youtuber sat in their mum's basement giving match breakdowns. Just really poor I thought of the beeb who I do expect more from.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:43 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:13 am
Really don’t understand your first Joey Bartonesque sentence.
Your second point was spot on - ie you can be ill informed, inarticulate or plain dumb whatever gender you are.

Where we are possibly in agreement is that people are being giving roles presenting football and sport in general because of their gender or background rather than their ability to do the job and that is not only wrong but it’s also diluting the quality massively.

But the people making these decisions clearly have other priorities and targets to meet and if that means in the long term more women etc wanting to be involved in careers in sport (or other walks of life that historically they may not have been) then that’s a positive thing (for future generations rather than ours maybe !)
If my first sentence is Josephesque, so be it. His main point started as men play the men's game abd women their game. Experts for eaxmch, should come from those players.

That is my point. I like when the women, talking about the women's game, are able to forgive insights on the players, their interaction with them etc.

They have nothing to offer like that, fir the men's game, fir obvious reasons and vice versa.

I also like articulate pundits. Some are awful (both sexes)

Other comments, on here, like, 'well drilled' 'debut' 'Chelsea loanee' 'scuffed' just highlight the vacancy of the content and non expertise.

I have no issue with diversity. I have issue with non expertise, for obvious reasons.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:47 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:40 am
Not even sure why it has to be an ex player of recent year? Tons of out of work managers etc.

You get far better analysis off a Youtuber sat in their mum's basement giving match breakdowns. Just really poor I thought of the beeb who I do expect more from.
Completely agree that it shouldn't be the criteria, but it obviously is. I guess it is an attempt to tap into the popularity of the Lionesses and broaden the viewership with a younger, and more female audience. Clearly if this reduces the quality of the product to such an extent as it did last night then it's going to backfire massively. Last night seemed like an experiment, with just 3 games on and presumably a much lower audience, and I'd be surprised if we see it repeated.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

ISpeds00
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by ISpeds00 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:48 am

no1 likes us

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:33 am
I've only seen it the once, live as it were, but I'm pretty sure that one
of them referred to Muric as playing well on his debut or similar !!!!!!!

Thank goodness I only watch it when we win. Shocking last night,
absolutely shocking.
They specifically said premier league debut

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:17 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:15 pm
They specifically said premier league debut
To a neutral with no more understanding that could have meant full debut - a little explanation of the GK situation would have surely been appropriate there, no?

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:19 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:17 pm
To a neutral with no more understanding that could have meant full debut - a little explanation of the GK situation would have surely been appropriate there, no?
Not really bothered either way. Just saying that PL debut, not full debut, was explicitly said.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:24 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:19 pm
Not really bothered either way. Just saying that PL debut, not full debut, was explicitly said.
Yeah that was the host, it was more the other 'pundit' that really didn't have a scooby that was the most disappointing aspect of the show.

Brugge Claret
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Brugge Claret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:53 pm

FA Cup today ,who picked the colours that Leicester are playing in ? poor do if you’ve still a black and white Tv.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Brugge Claret
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Brugge Claret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:54 pm

FA Cup today ,who picked the colours that Leicester are playing in ? poor do if you’ve still a black and white Tv.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:47 pm

Farah Williams gives Garth Crooks a run for his money as being the no.1 worst pundit on the BBC. She really is painfully boring and offers no insight to the game at all. My 10 year old son could offer more knowledge than her and he doesn't even like football!

Worst of all, she does a lot of damage to other, more credible and articulate female pundits and presenters. She's the kind of pundit that Joey Barton can hang his hat on, and as much as he's an idiot, you can't argue against the fact she's appallingly bad.

If the BBC want to provide a mix of male and female presenters and pundits, which I have nothing against at all, they need to bin off the likes of Williams as she does nothing other than provide ammunition to those who don't want to see a mix of pundits.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:37 pm

New BBC trailer from Aardman.

https://youtu.be/IftwW9rueAk?si=nKiZHMOZwbOsAhlj
Excellent.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

Caballo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:04 am
Got to be a deliberate ploy by the Beeb, can we start a campaign to keep Lineker 🤣🤣
Lineker was on FA Cup duty ready on hand to take the pi$$ out of Alan Shearer for Newcastle failing yet again to end their FA Cup drought. :lol:

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:16 pm

On ITV just now, Ian Wright had just stated that Ahmads winner against Liverpool wasn't a ‘clean strike’…

What's going on with these pundits?

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:33 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:16 pm
On ITV just now, Ian Wright had just stated that Ahmads winner against Liverpool wasn't a ‘clean strike’…

What's going on with these pundits?
It wasn’t a clean strike.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:47 pm
Farah Williams gives Garth Crooks a run for his money as being the no.1 worst pundit on the BBC. She really is painfully boring and offers no insight to the game at all. My 10 year old son could offer more knowledge than her and he doesn't even like football!

Worst of all, she does a lot of damage to other, more credible and articulate female pundits and presenters. She's the kind of pundit that Joey Barton can hang his hat on, and as much as he's an idiot, you can't argue against the fact she's appallingly bad.

If the BBC want to provide a mix of male and female presenters and pundits, which I have nothing against at all, they need to bin off the likes of Williams as she does nothing other than provide ammunition to those who don't want to see a mix of pundits.
If you separated it men to men & women to women everybody would know where they stood with it & you wouldn't get the bitching & moaning. At the moment it's all over the place.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:07 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:33 pm
It wasn’t a clean strike.
The point I'm making is that they seem to find a negative in winning goals. I don't know why they need to say it.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:26 pm

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:05 am
Murray, well known for his cheating, makes his opinion of no consequence. It’s an embarrassment that he is paid for his views.
It was obviously 50/50 in any case
I remember the penalty he 'won' and missed at their place. He moved his foot in between the defenders and went down like a sack of spuds.
This user liked this post: LincsWoldsClaret

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:32 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:07 pm
The point I'm making is that they seem to find a negative in winning goals. I don't know why they need to say it.
He just said it wasn’t a clean strike - you’re overthinking it. In the same analysis the pundits spoke positively about him saying the main thing he did right was hit the target.

The 2 city goals yesterday were both huge deflections. Unsurprisingly the pundits and commentators mentioned that too.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:16 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 pm
If you separated it men to men & women to women everybody would know where they stood with it & you wouldn't get the bitching & moaning. At the moment it's all over the place.
Surely it's easier to just make sure all pundits are actually capable of analysing and presenting? It doesn't matter either way then.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 am

jlup1980 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:16 am
Surely it's easier to just make sure all pundits are actually capable of analysing and presenting? It doesn't matter either way then.
Good luck with that 1 I guess in fairness it's just about as remotely achievable as my suggestion I won't be holding my breath anytime soon
This user liked this post: jlup1980

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 am

Oh for John Motson

Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 554 times

Post by Fretters » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:13 pm

It's the lack of knowledge that bugs me.

"We didn't know much about that from him" (On Muric's passing ability) being an example. The usual pundits seem to spend the day watching their games and researching the key players (e.g. a goalkeeper making his first start of the season) but she seemed to know nothing about him.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:57 pm

Not lack of knowledge but more lack of research I would suggest. Laughing out loud or making a crass joke can keep one employed it seems. However, I can't pass opinion on the content because if I do happen to see a televised game( which is extremely rare) then invariably the commentary is turned off and I never watch anything pre match or post match. I just compare it to watching the Clarets and someone at the game telling me what happened, should have happened etc. I bloody know, I'm watching the same game.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46