Diabetes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Diabetes

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Last week, my GP told me I have diabetes. It was totally unexpected even though I have been on the at risk list for several years. I am 61 and weighed just over 15 stones (average height).

In the following week, I have changed my diet (reducing the carbs...potatoes, bread, rice and pasta), substantially reduced the amount of alcohol (mostly red wine) and managed to lose 6lbs.

I’m hoping to keep this up for a few months and maybe prevent the diabetes long term.

Has anyone any experience or advice that might help?
Thank you for any positive suggestions.
This user liked this post: Anonymous

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Re: Diabetes

Post by Goddy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear that, LCP.

I have a chum who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about a year ago. He, too, changed his diet - mainly cut out the carbs but still drinks (although he was never an excessive drinker anyway). He was a little over weight but now lost that weight and, remarkably, turned round his diabetes. I'm not quite sure what 'turning round his diabetes' means but it appears that whilst he's on this dietary regime he is no longer diabetic, or at least, doesn't have to take anything or do anything to deal with the diabetes as far as I'm aware. So, I'd say there's definitely hope for you there.

Whatever good luck with it and hope it doesn't cause you too many problems.
This user liked this post: LoveCurryPies

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:04 pm

You are talking about type two diabetes, which means your body can produce insulin but your body isn't using it for whatever reason.

Losing weight has been known to reverse it. Having fat store around vital organs causes problems.

Look into fat burning foods like Grapefruit, apple etc.

Good luck.

Clevedon Claret
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 932 times
Location: Where Broadchurch is filmed or on the Orihuela Costa

Post by Clevedon Claret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:25 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm
Last week, my GP told me I have diabetes. It was totally unexpected even though I have been on the at risk list for several years. I am 61 and weighed just over 15 stones (average height).

In the following week, I have changed my diet (reducing the carbs...potatoes, bread, rice and pasta), substantially reduced the amount of alcohol (mostly red wine) and managed to lose 6lbs.

I’m hoping to keep this up for a few months and maybe prevent the diabetes long term.

Well done with the lifestyle changes.
Gives you a bit of a jolt when you are told you have crossed over from being borderline.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over three years ago. The last 3 blood tests have me back well under.
Only another 2 years to pass clear and I will be off the list.
Btw. Since changing mainly my diet and going to the pool regularly i have also been cold/bug free for 2 years

Stick to it pal, maybe change your user name to used to love curry pies . :D

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:44 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:

There was some interesting research that suggested a really severe (but obviously supervised) crash diet could reverse Type 2 diabetes (I can't recall the success rate). This was first dismissed but last I heard was being taken up by (some of?) the NHS. The research was from Durham? Newcastle?

That might be worth investigating and discussing with your GP.

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Clevedon Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:25 pm
Don’t know how you managed to post your reply in my quote, Clevedon but much appreciated.

My username was actually a sarcastic reference to those pies they sold on the turf. Really didn’t taste like curry but I do think there is a market for a real curry in a pie! :lol:
This user liked this post: Clevedon Claret

WilmslowClaret
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by WilmslowClaret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi LCP....

Potentially, you can reverse type 2 diabetes if you have sufficient pancreatic beta cell function remaining. Your condition is a consequence of insulin resistance, a condition where the pancreas can still produce insulin but the peripheral tissues fail to respond, especially muscle and liver. Adipose (fat) tissue is still responsive (at least in part) to the effects of insulin but responds by inhibiting hormone sensitive lipase, leading to continued fat storage. If you moderate your diet and keep it balanced (fat, carbohydrate, protein) and aim at balancing energy intake with energy expenditure then you are heading in the right direction. Increasing exercise gradually will also help and a useful target would be to reduce your BMI (body mass index) to within the normal range (approx 25). To measure BMI take your weight in kg and divide by your height squared in metres. It is a sobering thought that energy expenditure (walking at 5km/hr for 1 km) only expends about 60-70 kcals of energy. There is approx the same kcals (sometimes more) in 1 unit of alcohol. For other metabolic reasons it is a good idea to moderate alcohol consumption. Hope this helps... and give it a go!
These 2 users liked this post: LoveCurryPies Mala591

Clevedon Claret
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 932 times
Location: Where Broadchurch is filmed or on the Orihuela Costa

Post by Clevedon Claret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:45 pm
Don’t know how you managed to post your reply in my quote, Clevedon but much appreciated.

My username was actually a sarcastic reference to those pies they sold on the turf. Really didn’t taste like curry but I do think there is a market for a real curry in a pie! :lol:
No idea what happened with my previous post??
I was posting from my phone. :D

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:35 pm

I was going to buy Tom Watson’s book Downsizing but read some reviews saying only a small part refers to his 8 stone weight loss and reversal of diabetes.

Maybe I should ignore the negative reviews and try see how he found the determination to achieve it.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8427 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:37 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:45 pm

..................................................................................

Its easy done if you start typing before the last quote box..... 🙄

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:57 pm

The authority on reversing diabetes by strict control of diet and consequent weight loss is Professor Roy Taylor of Newcastle University. The required regime is a very tough one involving liquid dietary drinks and is not for all but has proved successful on some patients. For many diabetes is a lifestyle choice but it is the major problem in the NHS today and costs something like 20% of the total NHS budget.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:19 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:

I have been type two for just over two years now, a friend of mine is type one.

Best advice I got from him was to use the carbs and calcs app you can download from the app stores.

Initially my doctors gave me test kits, the one you prick your finger with. I now buy my own.

By looking at the amount of carbs , say a bowl of corn flakes, you can test yourself when you get up and then again a couple of hours after. Everyone is different but you can learn what affects your levels.

For me, if I eat a bowl of corn flakes my blood sugar level can rise to 10 a couple of hours later. However, 2 rashers of bacon, couple of sausages, mushrooms and an egg, it hardly moves. But like I say you cannot know how your body reacts until you test yourself.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:29 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 11 years old. 25 years on and complicates are starting to show. A low carb, low fat diet is pretty much essential. From the sound of it yours is type 2 so it is even more important for you to keep a very good diet (I can hind some sins with taking more insulin). Exercise is also essential. I dislocated my shoulder again a few years ago and stopped virtually all forms of sport which was my regular source of exercise (I wasn't going through that operation again!). Since then is when I've seriously put on weight and my control is really difficult.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:36 pm

Also would like to mention.
One person at work did the Newcastle diet and it did reverse his diabetes.
But even though he returned to good diet it cam back after about 6 months , did the Newcastle diet again and again it worked but even back on a healthy diet it returned.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:47 pm

A ketogenic diet will reverse type 2 diabetes and keep your blood sugars level. Basically to be in a ketogenic diet you have to restrict your diet to less than 60g of carbs per day and your body will use the glycogen stores up in appx 72 hrs the. Switch to body fat as
It’s main source. Because you are restricting carbs not much insulin is required and your body will over time de sensitise to insulin.

Not easy to achieve but definitely do-able if you have the right mindset.
This user liked this post: Hipper

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Facts about the Newcastle diet's results.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/research/re ... et#results

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:13 pm

Well done on the initial weight loss LCP, a great start!

Carbs can be sugary or starchy, keep the former down. Look up the difference to know which is which. This will make a difference to your energy levels

Spread your meals out, breakfast, lunch, dinner. Avoid the sweet stuff in between.

Exercise will help 😣

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 pm

My son has been type 1 diabetes, from the age of 12, to now aged 41. He is presently waiting for a phone call, to say they’ve a suitable double transplant donor, to improve his life.
Over a year ago the hospital treating his diabetes after an operation to improve his health and eye sight, gave him medication, that was killing him, rather than making him better, which was bad enough to make plans, for his families future plans without him.
Hopefully a suitable donor will be found soon, but the longer it is before a suitable donor is found, the less chance he has of saving his eyesight, at minimal.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Hope it works out for your Son, and soon Bfc.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:22 am

Bfc wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 pm
My son has been type 1 diabetes, from the age of 12, to now aged 41. He is presently waiting for a phone call, to say they’ve a suitable double transplant donor, to improve his life.
Over a year ago the hospital treating his diabetes after an operation to improve his health and eye sight, gave him medication, that was killing him, rather than making him better, which was bad enough to make plans, for his families future plans without him.
Hopefully a suitable donor will be found soon, but the longer it is before a suitable donor is found, the less chance he has of saving his eyesight, at minimal.
That's rough, hope he gets that call soon

I was diagnosed with type 1 on my second birthday. I've always said that it's more difficult for somebody such as your son, who had to adapt, than it was for me as I've known nothing else

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:29 am

The principle behind the ketone diet, which is essentially what you are doing, is that in order to deal with sugars and starches (carbohydrates) the body must produce insulin. You have had a carb burning metabolism.

With low carbs your body is forced to burn fat using ketones. It takes a month or so for this change to occur which can lead to some suffering what is called keto flu - headaches, tiredness. You may also suffer constipation as your eating regime changes and that's not necessarily because of lack of fibre but possibly lack of salts. The reason for this is because you need, and want, to consume more liquid and pee it out and with it some salts. I found taking magnesium supplements more or less did the trick. After that month you start to feel pretty good. It also means increasing your fat intake using all sorts of fat types, some of which we were previously told are bad - cheese, butter, cream, other saturated fats (not milk or yoghurt which contain lactose), as well as the oily fish types we know are good. Low fat diets are just plain wrong.

There's plenty of advice on the web including the balance of the three main food groups that you need.

I was at a pre-diabetic level and followed this ketone diet and in four months my blood sugar level, and blood pressure, were normal.

Unfortunately I haven't found it so easy to stick to it. My problem is I do like butter, say, but on bread or in mashed potatoes!!! Because of the fat the ketone diet does make you feel full after eating but the modern shopping experience is full of temptations.

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 am

Bfc wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 pm
Bfc, I really hope your son gets the operation soon. Let's hope the phone rings today!

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:19 am

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have written them all down and will start researching immediately.

Maybe this thread will encourage a few more Clarets to go have blood tests and catch diabetes in the early stages.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 am

There's no doubt that insulin responds better in the body when exercise is taken.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:36 am

If you are reluctant for whatever reason to go to the doctors you can buy blood sugar readers at reasonable prices.

Of course you should go to your doctors if you are concerned....

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:31 am

Low glycaemic and high glycaemic carbs are interesting and it is of note that bread spuds rice certain pastas are high glycaemic and not good as they incite a rapid increase in sugar and a quick high insulin response which lower glycaemic carbs like sweet potato do not. But if you freeze bread and then toast it -it is low glycaemic and cooking, chilling and reheating rice, pasta like lasagne and potato lowers the glycaemic index and produces a slower rise in glucose which is of benefit.
As others have stated getting your weight down and keeping it down is the answer but it means getting the BMI down to at least 25 if not lower, the nearer to 20 the better.
Also if you manage it you will have to deal with kith and kin worried about how ill you are due to weight loss, and at 61 lookingold and haggard when in fact you are healthier than you have been in years.
Sad fact lose two to three stones by dieting and folk will ask if you are alright
Gain a stone and folk will say how well you are looking

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 am

Well done so far!

I'm dieting too right now, I'm on 1500cal per day and recording everything I eat on the myfitnesspal app.

You'll find that will naturally bring down your carbs, a bread roll? 150 calories?! I'm not wasting 10% of my allowance on that!
Run a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

Cheeky plug, I've replaced some meals with Huel. 400 calories in a well balanced drink, my referral link :D
https://huel.mention-me.com/m/ol/bp2nb-67c6c17c5c

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks everyone for all the kind thoughts regarding my son. He has had to give up a lot of work and project opportunities, as he is on standby and needs to be at the transplant hospital, within 4 hours of his notification.
It's a case of having a hold-all with stuff he needs, with him at all times. Time is of the essence, as he lives around 90 mins( depending on the time of day) drive to the hospital. For 5 days after the Op, he will under heavy sedation, while his body adjusts to the transplants. The Surgeons did say it it could be as long as 12 to 18 months, but no longer, before a perfect match is found. I'd said to him, "his heart must miss a beat every time his phone rings".
This user liked this post: addisclaret

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:12 pm

I started this thread in February having been told I now have diabetes type 2.

I’ve since lost 3 and 1/2 stones.

On Friday I had my bloods retested and tomorrow afternoon (Monday) I will find out if I still have diabetes.

To be honest, I’m really excited and nervous. If I have I will be thrilled. If I haven’t I will be devastated.

More importantly, I’m hoping I can inspire others. Many here gave advice. I listened and owe you a huge thank you!

It’s been a tough 6 months but I’m already feeling like a new person. I should know by 2pm...so fingers crossed!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm

Good luck LCP. Keep up the dietary discipline and make sure you get a decent bit of exercise in on a daily basis.

All the best

Rowls

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 pm

Good luck LCP i hope all your efforts provide you with the right result

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:18 pm

Rowls wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm
Good luck LCP. Keep up the dietary discipline and make sure you get a decent bit of exercise in on a daily basis.

All the best

Rowls
The weight loss has been by diet. However, I’m going to buy a cycle and tone up my muscles now.
This user liked this post: Rowls

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:20 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:12 pm
I started this thread in February having been told I now have diabetes type 2.

I’ve since lost 3 and 1/2 stones.

On Friday I had my bloods retested and tomorrow afternoon (Monday) I will find out if I still have diabetes.

To be honest, I’m really excited and nervous. If I have I will be thrilled. If I haven’t I will be devastated.

More importantly, I’m hoping I can inspire others. Many here gave advice. I listened and owe you a huge thank you!

It’s been a tough 6 months but I’m already feeling like a new person. I should know by 2pm...so fingers crossed!
That's great going, LCP. Hope it's a good result for you tomorrow.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:23 pm

You need to exercise and eat an healthy diet
Ask your doctor about going on the Desmond course for newly diagnosed diabetics. Very informative what to eat and what not to much better than crash diets

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:27 pm

Thanks guys!

My wife tells me I don’t snore anymore so that’s great. Even if it’s bad news, I’m feeling so much better.

I’ve dropped 2” in collar size. Waist down to 32”. Jumpers and shirts from XXL to Large.

I’ve also cut my (mostly red wine) drinking from 60-70 units per week to around 20. That was probably the hardest challenge.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:41 pm

Have you given up the curry pies?

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:48 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:41 pm
Have you given up the curry pies?
I’ve given up curries and pies. :lol:

I’m really looking forward to a proper curry and once we know it’s really Covid safe to go, I will. Sadly it will be a monthly treat not something I can have every other day.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:54 am

fingers crossed for today LCP!

Good luck!

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Nurse just phoned... I’M NO LONGER DIABETIC!! :)

I’m now hoping I can inspire just one other person, either to lose weight or fight diabetes, or both. You can do it!
These 5 users liked this post: theboydonegood huw.Y.WattfromWare Duffer_ spadesclaret Rowls

thedoge
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by thedoge » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:22 pm

That's great news LCP

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Great news LCP and worth all the effort.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:02 pm

I’m now hoping I can inspire just one other person, either to lose weight or fight diabetes, or both. You can do it!

Good news LoveSalad+Couscous
This user liked this post: Rowls

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:44 pm

LCP, just remember you have put off the day when you become diabetic as this year, next year, sometime never you will get it. By keeping your weight down with a normal BMI below 25 and if possible nearer to 20, exercise and avoiding those high glycaemic carbs (which will help you to not over eat) you will delay/prevent that day coming. I am nearly 2 stone down since June 11th and I am fasting once/week- evening meal then nothing only until next evening meal as this helps with reducing insulin resistance
Although a bit controversial the Pioppi Diet is a good read and goes into how the fatty food brigade have overdone things and made us into low fat high carb fatties. We are a society that thinks we need three meals a day which is utter rubbish as we arrived here eating what we could, when we could and spending a lot of time fasting due to times when there was lack of food
Well done BUT this is just the start we now have to keep it up.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Well done LCP - Keep up the good work! :)

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:49 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 pm
Good news LoveSalad+Couscous
Cous Cous? :shock:

Never :lol:

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:44 pm
LCP, just remember you have put off the day when you become diabetic as this year, next year, sometime never you will get it. By keeping your weight down with a normal BMI below 25 and if possible nearer to 20, exercise and avoiding those high glycaemic carbs (which will help you to not over eat) you will delay/prevent that day coming. I am nearly 2 stone down since June 11th and I am fasting once/week- evening meal then nothing only until next evening meal as this helps with reducing insulin resistance
Although a bit controversial the Pioppi Diet is a good read and goes into how the fatty food brigade have overdone things and made us into low fat high carb fatties. We are a society that thinks we need three meals a day which is utter rubbish as we arrived here eating what we could, when we could and spending a lot of time fasting due to times when there was lack of food
Well done BUT this is just the start we now have to keep it up.

It’s a permanent change. I’ve learnt a lot and never really understood just how many calories were in food. But I’ve a lot more to learn.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:57 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Can you help me fight Diabetes? I do 4 injections a day and can often get hypoglycemic. Without the injections I'd be dead, as my pancreas creates no insulin. I'm as thin as a rake and eat healthily.

Can we please stop referring to Diabetes in a general sense. There are 2 completely different forms; Type 1 & 2. Yours is Type 2 (T2). Mine is Type 1 (T1).

Well done on your progress.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 pm

Great news and keep at it.

To celebrate I have just eaten an apple.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Who agrees that LCP needs a new username?

LoveCaulflower&Peas ? ;)

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm
It’s a permanent change. I’ve learnt a lot and never really understood just how many calories were in food. But I’ve a lot more to learn.
Did you use that carbs and coals app at all?

Well done in any case.