Completing the season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Completing the season

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 am

Article here from a long standing friend of this site.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-socce ... e=Facebook
This user liked this post: 4:20

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Completing the season

Post by Grumps » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 am

End this season. No champions, no relegation no promotion.
Start next season when it's safe to do so, even if that meant starting in say, December. Scrap the FA and league cups, and play weekends and Midweek.
Drastic times, drastic measures.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:35 am

There’s a voice recording doing the rounds on WhatsApp of Bristol Rovers manager Ben Garner. They’ve been told by the Chief Exec of the EFl that a return in June is very, very optimistic. Gary Neville doesn’t expect they’ll be playing anywhere near then. They need 66,000 tests to finish the season. Most likely outcome is the season will be decided on sporting merit - 3 promotions from every league, no relegations

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:54 am

If they did three promotions to the Premier League, would that mean six relegation places the season after?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:55 am

I'm glad we finally have a thread on this topic.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat KateR

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:58 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:54 am
If they did three promotions to the Premier League, would that mean six relegation places the season after?
Correct.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:06 am

I think they should end the season now.
Then have a play off at Old Trafford between Liverpool and Leeds to see who cries the most.
These 4 users liked this post: Grumps nyclaret gawthorpe_view djt2006

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 am

nyclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:35 am
There’s a voice recording doing the rounds on WhatsApp of Bristol Rovers manager Ben Garner. They’ve been told by the Chief Exec of the EFl that a return in June is very, very optimistic. Gary Neville doesn’t expect they’ll be playing anywhere near then. They need 66,000 tests to finish the season. Most likely outcome is the season will be decided on sporting merit - 3 promotions from every league, no relegations
Who would get promoted?
We either finish the leagues, which I don't think will happen
Or just void this season
You cannot promote a team which could have been caught had the season continued, it would be a legal minefield
This user liked this post: paulatky

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:23 am

Grumps wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 am
Who would get promoted?
Or just void this season
You cannot promote a team which could have been caught had the season continued, it would be a legal minefield
Agreed. I’m just reporting what was said on the WhatsApp audio message to his players.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:52 am

Whhy not scrap the rest of this season and then roll it on into the new season with every team starting in the position they are in now, effectivly makeing one season out of the two.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky Foulthrow

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:12 am

Why not just forget about football until life returns to normal the same as other businesses losing millions are having to do?

When it is safe, carry on and complete what was started. Forget time frames, forget traditions and stagger the following seasons over a couple of years until the ideal sequence is achieved.

Heaven forbid, maybe ask them to play a few more games!

The world has changed immeasurably over the past 4 months and Football needs to change with it and not stumble on in it's fantasy bubble world.

mealdeal
Been Liked: 81 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mealdeal » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:24 am

JohnMac wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:12 am
Why not just forget about football until life returns to normal the same as other businesses losing millions are having to do?

When it is safe, carry on and complete what was started. Forget time frames, forget traditions and stagger the following seasons over a couple of years until the ideal sequence is achieved.

The world has changed immeasurably over the past 4 months and Football needs to change with it and not stumble on in it's fantasy bubble world.
I don't know, anyone would think this was a football messageboard.

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:26 am

JohnMac wrote:

Exactly! What do you think you are playing at putting sensible posts on here about this subject?

Why the clammer to start the next season when this one hasn't even been finished?

Why should a new season take preference over a season that hasn't yet finished.

The UEFA top brass should stop putting out deadlines to countries regarding finishing their seasons. Don't they know anything about how serious Covid19 is?
They are continually coming up with false dawns and need some sort of reality check.

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:26 am

It used to be just that :lol:

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:34 am

My point exactly Targetman.

Football as an entity portrays itself as more important than life itself. The fact that games without fans will more likely take place at some point just proves it is a business first and foremost.

We all love the game obviously but the game, at the top end is no longer about the fans.

mealdeal
Been Liked: 81 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mealdeal » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:42 am

JohnMac wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:34 am
My point exactly Targetman.

Football as an entity portrays itself as more important than life itself. The fact that games without fans will more likely take place at some point just proves it is a business first and foremost.

We all love the game obviously but the game, at the top end is no longer about the fans.
Its being discussed in focus on here because its a football messageboard. Football isn't trying to rise up above other aspects of modern life, any more than other disrupted industries, you are just tuned into that particular frequency and notice it more.

At some point, we are going to have to live with this virus, we can't go on shielding ourselves away waiting for effective treatments or a vaccine. Football is part of that and like other areas of life, people will ultimately have to decide whether going to football is an acceptable risk for them, just like any other risk we face.

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:45 am

Grumps wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 am
Who would get promoted?
Or just void this season
Then you have the 4 teams in the playoff positions! You can't just promote the team in 3rd. In league one Oxford are 3rd with Peterborough in 6th & guess what? There is 1 point between 3rd n 6th, so what happens there with 11 games to play still? The only viable option is to null n void every league with NO promotion or relegation.
This user liked this post: nyclaret

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:00 am

If this season can't be completed then I do think that this season would have to be null and void. It may be a legal mindfield, but anything else would be far worse.

We can all agree that the chances are West Brom and Leeds would likely come up, but neither are foregone conclusions. You can't relegate Bournemouth because of a one goal difference to Watford. It would be unfair to relegate Villa with a game in hand. For more than half the Premier League it's a there but by the grace of god situation and with COVID-19 lurking away in the background they'll all be wary about setting precedent.

Some say just have a bigger PL for one season, but how does that work? Where does the money come from to pay an extra £250m or so to Leeds and West Brom? TV companies aren't going to pay more when they've already lost nearly a third of another season. The 20 PL clubs who've just lost money aren't going to sacrifice more money to all chip in. Potentially 20/21 season is going to have problems too, so the last thing you want is 4 more matches per team. These kinds of questions go on and on.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 am

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:00 am
If this season can't be completed then I do think that this season would have to be null and void. It may be a legal mindfield, but anything else would be far worse.

We can all agree that the chances are West Brom and Leeds would likely come up, but neither are foregone conclusions. You can't relegate Bournemouth because of a one goal difference to Watford. It would be unfair to relegate Villa with a game in hand. For more than half the Premier League it's a there but by the grace of god situation and with COVID-19 lurking away in the background they'll all be wary about setting precedent.

Some say just have a bigger PL for one season, but how does that work? Where does the money come from to pay an extra £250m or so to Leeds and West Brom? TV companies aren't going to pay more when they've already lost nearly a third of another season. The 20 PL clubs who've just lost money aren't going to sacrifice more money to all chip in. Potentially 20/21 season is going to have problems too, so the last thing you want is 4 more matches per team. These kinds of questions go on and on.
Entirely agree. The prospect of having six relegation places for us to slip in to is a frightening thought.

In my opinion, it should be completed, but otherwise null and void.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:38 am

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 am
In my opinion, it should be completed, but otherwise null and void.
:lol: Have you covered all possible outcomes there NewClaret? :lol:

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 am

mealdeal wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:42 am
Its being discussed in focus on here because its a football messageboard. Football isn't trying to rise up above other aspects of modern life, any more than other disrupted industries, you are just tuned into that particular frequency and notice it more.

At some point, we are going to have to live with this virus, we can't go on shielding ourselves away waiting for effective treatments or a vaccine. Football is part of that and like other areas of life, people will ultimately have to decide whether going to football is an acceptable risk for them, just like any other risk we face.
Agree entirely.

When taking decisions around reopening of businesses/sports/life, I do feel some perspective needs to be put around this virus. There are 650k deaths by other causes pa in the UK, ~17k by flu - despite there being vaccines and treatment for common strains. I happened to have flu in Feb and I can entirely understand why it’s a killer. In all likelihood, and unless we’re lucky and it entirely disappears this summer, it will mutate like flu and still be a killer (hopefully to a much lesser extent) for many years.

We have to try and find ways to live with this virus and that applies to sport. As I’ve posted elsewhere, it can be done in ways that minimise risks. I accept that will be vastly different to how we live today, and less than ideal, but it’s that or put our lives on hold indefinitely.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:49 am

lesxdp wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:52 am
Whhy not scrap the rest of this season and then roll it on into the new season with every team starting in the position they are in now, effectivly makeing one season out of the two.
Not my preferred option, but much better than the promoting 3/6 relegation places next year option being bandied about.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:50 am

JohnMac wrote:

Are you on the wrong message board?

If you’d like to forget about football you’re choice of reading material is a little odd

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:09 am

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:38 am
:lol: Have you covered all possible outcomes there NewClaret? :lol:
:lol: :lol:

If I’m honest, my views on completing the season are somewhat skewed by being a Claret. I may feel differently if I were a Villa fan :lol:

I’m surprised so few Clarets want to get on with the season. I’m starting to think some are Rovers :lol:

The issue is that the fixture list has left our harder games behind us and our easier games to play. We are in touching distance of the Europa again, with only two “unwinnable” games to play - City & Liverpool (who will have won the league by then).

We have Watford, West Ham, Norwich, Brighton, Sheffield United, Wolves and Palace - all “winnable” games.

No reason we couldn’t finish in the Europa, which would help us keep players and attract others/replacements. We may of course fluff our lines, but this could be a season that is critical in our history, so I’m surprised so many would want to chuck it away.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:18 am

Herts,

Please pass on my best wishes to Simon and thank him for the piece.

John

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:23 am

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:09 am
:lol: :lol:

If I’m honest, my views on completing the season are somewhat skewed by being a Claret. I may feel differently if I were a Villa fan :lol:

I’m surprised so few Clarets want to get on with the season. I’m starting to think some are Rovers :lol:

The issue is that the fixture list has left our harder games behind us and our easier games to play. We are in touching distance of the Europa again, with only two “unwinnable” games to play - City & Liverpool (who will have won the league by then).

We have Watford, West Ham, Norwich, Brighton, Sheffield United, Wolves and Palace - all “winnable” games.

No reason we couldn’t finish in the Europa, which would help us keep players and attract others/replacements. We may of course fluff our lines, but this could be a season that is critical in our history, so I’m surprised so many would want to chuck it away.
If we did qualify for the Europa League what sort of competition do you think it would be without crowds. Where have you been for the last 6 weeks.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:27 am

I think basically it's down to two options. Void the season or finish it behind closed doors, problem with the latter is supporters congregating outside the grounds when the matches are being played.

I really can't see them carrying the existing position forward and finishing the season at the cost of cancelling a whole season. Much fewer matches and too much lost revenue.

I think the season will be voided as things stand. It's just too high a risk to continue as fans won't respect the wishes of the organisers and will congregate around the ground, which would negate the whole purpose of playing matches behing closed doors.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:52 am

paulatky wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:23 am
If we did qualify for the Europa League what sort of competition do you think it would be without crowds. Where have you been for the last 6 weeks.
Who said next season will be without crowds?

We’ve been in lockdown 6 weeks. We’re at end of April. There is a lot of the year left to go and things can change back quickly too. I’m certain that in September we will be less restricted than we are now - whether we’re able to populate stadia by then is another question.

However, assuming we can’t, I’d still enjoy watching the Clarets pit themselves against a European teams on TV.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:55 am

Firthy wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:27 am
I think basically it's down to two options. Void the season or finish it behind closed doors, problem with the latter is supporters congregating outside the grounds when the matches are being played.

I really can't see them carrying the existing position forward and finishing the season at the cost of cancelling a whole season. Much fewer matches and too much lost revenue.

I think the season will be voided as things stand. It's just too high a risk to continue as fans won't respect the wishes of the organisers and will congregate around the ground, which would negate the whole purpose of playing matches behing closed doors.
Surely clear rules that this is not acceptable and games will not be played if any crowds congregate, would do the trick?

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 am

The issue of fans congregating outside grounds is a big one.
I'm thinking outside the box so please don't pounce on me .
Is there any way that community and club pressure could be brought down on these individuals?
One example, assuming all games are on free to watch TV. Fans warned that if anyone is found gathering outside the ground before kick off that game is not going to be shown on TV and the plug pulled there and then.
If the government, medical people and football industry can work together to agree a plan then to have all that spoiled by fans would be very disappointing.
On a football message board I would like to think most will agree with me that to get live football on TV again would be a big morale booster

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:27 pm

I started this post because:

a. The article is about how to conclude the current Premier League season. Last time I checked this has a direct impact on the team I support.
b. There are varying opinions and points of view being put forward by any number of sources/contributors, summed up well in this piece
c. Not only is the guy presenting the article a Claret, he is also a contributor to this board and someone I have known all my life. Long time contributors from the old board will also remember his father.
d. If you are not interested, simply don't click on the thread and go and read one about actors or similar.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 am
The issue of fans congregating outside grounds is a big one.
I'm thinking outside the box so please don't pounce on me .
Is there any way that community and club pressure could be brought down on these individuals?
One example, assuming all games are on free to watch TV. Fans warned that if anyone is found gathering outside the ground before kick off that game is not going to be shown on TV and the plug pulled there and then.
If the government, medical people and football industry can work together to agree a plan then to have all that spoiled by fans would be very disappointing.
On a football message board I would like to think most will agree with me that to get live football on TV again would be a big morale booster
Agree with your points.

Seems quite simple to me: clear guidance/education campaign, grounds “sealed off” and policed pre-match, matches called off if fans attempt to congregate, all games on TV, games moved to neutral venues if there are issues.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:42 pm

How sad would you have to be to go and stand outside a football ground where a game is being played......especially if the actual game is available to view at home?

I like football but I can't ever imagine standing outside a ground, against Government advice, amidst a global pandemic.

Would anybody here seriously do that?

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Easy to say on our part, Arise. What about Liverpool fans on the day they'll lift the PL or Leeds on the game which secures their promotion?

We can't even keep numpties off the grass at the end of the season ffs.

Again, for me it's null and void - allowing all clubs to best prepare to stay in existence for when COVID is all over.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Of course it's sad, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. They're also worried about congregations of people celebrating as well.

Clubs are also worried about closed door games, and especially at neutral venues. They don't want to lose that advantage for pivotal games. Using every ground was seen as a non-starter because of the non-essential travel and makes it much more difficult to isolate the players somewhere central (St Georges Park) for 6 weeks. Neutral grounds is just one example of serious questions being asked about sporting integrity with rushing the season to a close.

There's a lot of ideas out there being plucked out of the sky that in isolation sound reasonable, but behind the scenes it's much more complicated. Dan Roan's latest piece today on the BBC does a good job of summarising. There's a lot going into this melting pot and it continues to look unlikely that a way forward can be found in the immediate future.

I also think that if football was to find a way, that after the initial novelty most 'fans' would soon get bored of watching dead rubber games with no attending fans, so many games would be pretty much pointless apart from deciding prize money.

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:18 pm

Football is being driven by purely money. If a child can't cuddle a grandparent why is it ok for two sweaty footballers to go into a 50/50 challenge. Absolutely ridiculous.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:26 pm

fanzone wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:18 pm
Football is being driven by purely money. If a child can't cuddle a grandparent why is it ok for two sweaty footballers to go into a 50/50 challenge. Absolutely ridiculous.
In fairness I think some clubs agree with your sentiment. Unfortunately it seems that where the moral compass lies depends on whether finishing/not finishing the season is beneficial to them.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:42 pm

fanzone wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:18 pm
Could be something to do with the fact that twenty thousand grandparents have died but only 140 people under 40 years old?

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:58 pm
Clubs are also worried about closed door games, and especially at neutral venues. They don't want to lose that advantage for pivotal games. Using every ground was seen as a non-starter because of the non-essential travel and makes it much more difficult to isolate the players somewhere central (St Georges Park) for 6 weeks. Neutral grounds is just one example of serious questions being asked about sporting integrity with rushing the season to a close.
They're unlikely to want to use Turf Moor IMO - dressing rooms (specially the away one) too small.

As for home advantage - the lack of crowd negates a lot of that anyway. When it comes down to it, football is 11 v 11 on a bit of grass. Everything else is just detail. If you can't play at Turf Moor for whatever reason, it doesn't have any effect on "sporting integrity" because the game is the thing.

fanzone
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:47 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:42 pm
Could be something to do with the fact that twenty thousand grandparents have died but only 140 people under 40 years old?

We live in an age where there's grandparents in there 30s, not every child's grandparents are over 65

alboclaret
Been Liked: 142 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by alboclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Few saying people would congregate around grounds that are hosting games behind closed doors.

Why would they? I dont understand that ?

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:56 pm

alboclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 pm
Few saying people would congregate around grounds that are hosting games behind closed doors.

Why would they? I dont understand that ?
I don't understand why we'd ask entertainers (lets face it football is entertainment) to put themselves and their families in danger, to satisfy our need for amusement but hey ho.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:04 pm

Darthlaw wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:56 pm
I don't understand why we'd ask entertainers (lets face it football is entertainment) to put themselves and their families in danger, to satisfy our need for amusement but hey ho.
But it's a bit more important to many people than just going to the theatre, isn't it?

If football wasn't important on many levels you would never have the scenes when we beat Rovers after all those years.

Likewise, for Leicester city. Winning the league meant so much to their supporters.

Darthlaw

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Spijed, if anyone is happy to put someone else's life at risk to justify their need for sporting entertainment, that says everything about them.

Would you place someones life at risk for that win against Blackburn or winning the premier league? Is it THAT important?

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:25 pm

There is a home advantage especially when you don’t cut the grass.

On a serious note the pitch sizes vary amongst clubs. Also some clubs have numerous ball boys around pitch to return the ball quickly whilst others take a more “laboured” approach in returning the ball.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:28 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 pm
They're unlikely to want to use Turf Moor IMO - dressing rooms (specially the away one) too small.

As for home advantage - the lack of crowd negates a lot of that anyway. When it comes down to it, football is 11 v 11 on a bit of grass. Everything else is just detail. If you can't play at Turf Moor for whatever reason, it doesn't have any effect on "sporting integrity" because the game is the thing.
Based on this seasons figures there's a 45% chance of winning at home compared to a 30% chance of winning away. So whether you like it or not, clubs are going to be very concerned about giving away that kind of advantage when they're in a relegation battle. As much as there's pro's and cons to this kind of thing (the flip side is teams may have more chance of winning an 'away' game), clubs will see neutral venues for the last quarter of the season as unfair. Ultimately 14 of the 20 PL clubs need to agree on a way forward and there's a suggestion that a big enough group of them are against seeing the season completed in neutral grounds.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 pm

Darthlaw wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:13 pm
Spijed, if anyone is happy to put someone else's life at risk to justify their need for sporting entertainment, that says everything about them.

Would you place someones life at risk for that win against Blackburn or winning the premier league? Is it THAT important?
Obviously we should never take undue risks, but there is also the unseen issues of depression and other mental issues where people have nothing to look forward to if they see sport as an important part of their lives.

You only have to see the dramatic rise in domestic abuse in the last few weeks.

There comes a point where people need to have something positive to look forward to otherwise life becomes just an existence. There will come a point where risks have to be taken, and therein lies the issue - when?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Darthlaw wrote:

So at what point would you restart football? When there is a vaccine and cure, presumably?

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Most of us wouldn't congregate outside a ground, we'd rather watch it on TV but that's exactly what happened in Italy when they tried playing behind closed doors so there's no guarantee it wouldn't happen here.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Darthlaw wrote:

If you are arguing that it's OK for footballers to die of flu or heart attacks but not of coronavirus - why? Bear in mind that in this country in the last two months, about 1 out of every 2 million people under the age of 40 have died of - or with - coronavirus. (Most of them with pre-existing conditions.) If that sort of risk is enough to stop football, then the risk of being killed while driving to the game - a much greater risk - would also be enough to cause postponement of all games.

You can't stop life in general for a 1 in 2 million risk. You can stop football because the potential damage to other people is too great, perhaps; to stop the NHS being overwhelmed; but not for the 1 in 200 million chance of death.