Stocks and shares during covid

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: Stocks and shares during covid

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:16 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:23 am
I couldn’t think of a worse possible time to invest.
No in a time of volatility it’s the time to invest, this is the time of opportunity.

Tesla up 50% in two weeks.
Amazon up as well.
BG American up over 50% in 6 months.

Where there is volatility there’s money to be made.

It’s just if your brave enough.

Tech stocks doing really well.

But would you buy Airbus, Rolls Royce etc . No.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:19 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:19 am
I think that's the $64,000 question Lowbank. If only we knew the answer.
For me it’s the £750,000 question.

Do I do gold, gov bonds etc or think the market will go up or down.

I think it’s a second wave and down so will be doing a safe haven for 12 months.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by UnderSeige » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:29 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:19 pm
For me it’s the £750,000 question.

Do I do gold, gov bonds etc or think the market will go up or down.

I think it’s a second wave and down so will be doing a safe haven for 12 months.
A few points:
  • You sound to be a 'risk averse' investor.
  • Not sure what you mean by safe haven - cash, the dollar, Swiss Francs, Gold, laddered bond portfolio?
  • There is risk in all holdings - even cash.
  • Second wave is not inevitable.
  • Good possibility of a vaccine in the autumn.
  • Gold often does well in times of crises.
  • Will their be an inflationary kick back after all this due to governments trying to spend their way out of recession?
The Financial Sense Newshour is a good show that helps me make sense of things. It is usually available every Saturday. https://www.financialsense.com/financial-sense-newshour

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:27 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:32 pm
For what it's worth, I think investing in the stock market is extremely risky at the moment.

In America, the press often talks abour 'Wall St.' and 'Main St'. 'Main street' being the general public. After the initial falls at the start of Covid 19, the American market has recovered half it's losses. The problem is, it's not 'Wall St.' that's reinvesting, it 'Main St.' 'Wall St' is sitting on it's hands and waiting to see what effect all the Federal Reserve's QE and stimulus packages are going to have.

Most listed companies in America have slashed dividends to almost zero and the chance of them making profits is also almost zero. Expect another huge fall in the American markets, (Maybe with the exception of the tech heavy NASDAQ.) probably worse than the last one.

That of course would affect markets worldwide.

Not a time to be investing on a medium term outlook.
I agree! .......The markets seem pretty irrational to me, especially when i see nothing but for lease signs.. EVERYWHERE....even in the best parts of LA.
Last month 32% of American homeowners couldn't pay their Mortgage........next month will be worse because the 3 month Mortgage relief program ends
and people who haven't been working will be expected to come up with 3 months of payments......same for renters!

I tried to buy Tesla stock in March at $350 per share but had to wait 3 days for a money transfer to my broker (amateurish i know) but by then it was over $500 and i thought better of it...........it closed at $1544 today :| How does that make sense in this potentially apocalyptic landscape?

I predict a pretty big drop come Autumn.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:25 pm

This podcast might be of interest.
We'll Hit Peak Gold This Year, Says Keith Barron
July 10, 2020 – Ryan Puplava starts things off and shares what moved markets this week. Then Jim Puplava talks to Jonathan Krinsky of Bay Crest Partners. Jonathan says technology is running into headwinds as valuations and prices get stretched. He tells listeners why he's bullish on gold and explains the 2020 presidential election's impact on markets. Then Jim talks to Keith Barron of Aurania who takes listeners on a deep dive into the precious metals sector and says copper's headed for a renaissance. Cris Sheridan and Financial Sense Wealth Management's CIO Chris Puplava are back with another edition of Smart Macro. https://www.financialsense.com/podcast/ ... ith-barron

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:38 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:25 pm
This podcast might be of interest.
I agree about copper being set for a renaissance. In that market, Copperbank is worth a look.

https://www.copperbankcorp.com/

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:15 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:29 pm
A few points:
  • You sound to be a 'risk averse' investor.
  • Not sure what you mean by safe haven - cash, the dollar, Swiss Francs, Gold, laddered bond portfolio?
  • There is risk in all holdings - even cash.
  • Second wave is not inevitable.
  • Good possibility of a vaccine in the autumn.
  • Gold often does well in times of crises.
  • Will their be an inflationary kick back after all this due to governments trying to spend their way out of recession?
The Financial Sense Newshour is a good show that helps me make sense of things. It is usually available every Saturday. https://www.financialsense.com/financial-sense-newshour

Thank you for the pointer.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:28 pm

This board is useful for a lot of things. This is one of the few subject matters for which it isn’t.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:33 pm

Blackrod wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:28 pm
This board is useful for a lot of things. This is one of the few subject matters for which it isn’t.
Are you the judge and jury on that? If it doesn't interest you, then don't comment.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:50 pm

I dabble in stocks and shares and my advice is only invest what you can afford to lose. Stay clear of Aim, most of the companies on their will rinse you.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:50 pm
I dabble in stocks and shares and my advice is only invest what you can afford to lose. Stay clear of Aim, most of the companies on their will rinse you.
Another one is "don't invest in anything that you don't understand".

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 pm

How to make a million pounds...

Start off with ten million then follow investment advice on UTC!!!

Do your own research (as I found out to my own cost)
#GKP
#Rockhopper

😢😢😢
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:24 pm

The relatively small size of the gold sector could lead to out-sized investor gains, said Vrify CEO Steve de Jong.

De Jong sat down for a podcast on Friday with mining reporters Neils Christensen, Michael McCrae and Paul Harris.

Before founding Vrify, which produces virtual mine tours, de Jong had a huge success in the mining space at another firm. He headed Integra Gold, which was acquired by Eldorado Gold in 2017 for $590 million. De Jong advanced the Lamaque project towards production.

Gold appears to be gaining interest in the broader investment community with the precious metal hitting fresh, multi-year highs.

"Sometimes we forget how small the sector actually is," said de Jong. "You can take everything that we do and combine us together and we're almost one Google."

De Jong said there is nearly a perfect setup to add another thousand dollars to the price of gold. There is a lot of money out there that is "...coming into a very, very small sector."

"This is what happens when you try to herd elephants through a really small door," said de Jong.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:24 pm
The relatively small size of the gold sector could lead to out-sized investor gains, said Vrify CEO Steve de Jong.

De Jong sat down for a podcast on Friday with mining reporters Neils Christensen, Michael McCrae and Paul Harris.

Before founding Vrify, which produces virtual mine tours, de Jong had a huge success in the mining space at another firm. He headed Integra Gold, which was acquired by Eldorado Gold in 2017 for $590 million. De Jong advanced the Lamaque project towards production.

Gold appears to be gaining interest in the broader investment community with the precious metal hitting fresh, multi-year highs.

"Sometimes we forget how small the sector actually is," said de Jong. "You can take everything that we do and combine us together and we're almost one Google."

De Jong said there is nearly a perfect setup to add another thousand dollars to the price of gold. There is a lot of money out there that is "...coming into a very, very small sector."

"This is what happens when you try to herd elephants through a really small door," said de Jong.
You mean it's a bubble, and the price is now or will in future be far above its intrinsic value, and the trick will be to get out before the crash and leave someone else holding the baby.

Bubbles never last.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:07 pm

dsr, “bubbles never last”, like West Ham, they fade and die.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:34 pm
You mean it's a bubble, and the price is now or will in future be far above its intrinsic value, and the trick will be to get out before the crash and leave someone else holding the baby.

Bubbles never last.
I don't think that gold is in a bubble at the moment dsr. I think you would be looking more towards 'the bond market', 'tech stocks' and perhaps the wider market for markets that have become dangerously overbought.

Markets could keep rising if the Federal Reserve keeps supporting them but there is also the risk of a second peak of the virus. The markets don't like uncertainty, get nervous and then rise due to the Feds interventions. It's all nonsensical.

Gold tends to do well in times of crises. In the past it has run contrary to the market overall. The financial analyst, on last weekends Financial Sense Newshour was bullish on gold. They were also discussing whether 'peak gold' has been reached. That is where all of the 'easier to mine in the ground gold' has now been mined. This makes future mining more expensive causing restrictions to supply. If this is the case, the long term prospects look good for the gold price.

They were also discussing metals such as copper. One of the remarks was that if just 25% of motorists switched from petrol to electric cars the demand on the grid system would be such that the whole grid would need overhauling. It's a real good listen if you've got the time.
We'll Hit Peak Gold This Year, Says Keith Barron
July 10, 2020 – Ryan Puplava starts things off ...He tells listeners why he's bullish on gold and explains the 2020 presidential election's impact on markets. Then Jim talks to Keith Barron of Aurania who takes listeners on a deep dive into the precious metals sector and says copper's headed for a renaissance.
https://www.financialsense.com/podcast/ ... ith-barron

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:04 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Bubbles never last.
No, it's not a bubble, at least not yet. Bubbles tend to rise very quickly and burst very quickly. At the moment Gold is just a store of value trying to protect people from Fiat currencies. In my view, it will continue to rise steadily for at least the next two years and probaly longer if central banks continue to print paper and call it money.

There will come a time, when Gold becomes headline news and lots more members of the public pile in and Gold goes up by a hundred dollars a day. That's the time to sell. We won't be at that stage for a long time yet though.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm

does anyone on here day trade ?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:31 pm

Anyone used Trading 212 app? Had a few plays around over the past few months on the free £50k do dar and fancied having a play with the real money one.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Dyched wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:31 pm
Anyone used Trading 212 app? Had a few plays around over the past few months on the free £50k do dar and fancied having a play with the real money one.
Would also like to get opinions re. Trading212, it seems pretty beginner friendly.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:36 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm
does anyone on here day trade ?
I did. Lost a fortune in the early years not knowing what I was doing. There were some grim days in there, let me tell you.

Over the years I improved, made it all back (off a very low base - about 5% of my original investment) and roughly doubled my money in the end. Then quit while I was ahead!!
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:06 pm
Would also like to get opinions re. Trading212, it seems pretty beginner friendly.
Not used it myself. I always used II. Their free service seems too good to be true but you’re protected up to £90k and they are heavily regulated so you should be fine. App looks great and they have understandably attracted a massive user base. A few of my friends use them and give very positive reviews. If I go back to trading it will be with them.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 pm

The Gold price is getting tantalisingly close to the all time high of $1900

Latest $1894

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:24 pm
Anyone been investing? Often a few posts about this on here.

I started out with a HL account at the start of lockdown after meaning to do it myself for a while.

Planning to keep mine going for 5-10 years with regular top ups. Was going to invest in a ftse tracker but decided to invest in established businesses who’s values have plummeted. I can’t say I know a great deal of detail about whether they’re good value or not (one was a gamble with intu which looks a bad gamble) but as above looking at them over long term.

So far my purchases have taken about 20% hit accross the board. (Including EasyJet who I bought at a five year or more low price before they went up but then dropped again. )

Have bought into

GSK (their shares weren’t cheap but hoping they may find a vaccine or treatment)
British airways. Should airlines struggle even more I’d imagine British airways would be at the front of any bailout.
EasyJet. They have a big cash reserve. Plenty of assets. And prices are a lot lower than they have been for years. (Was tipped off on EasyJet over a decade ago and never did it. So hopefully better late than never)
BT. But like BA - an institution. I worked at BT when shares had already plummeted. And now they’re half that again. If they sell off open reach and get their house in order I imagine they’ll recover long term.
InTu. That was simply a gamble after they had plummeted. But I knew that one was risky.

As above. My logic may not necessarily be the best but it’s money I’m comfortable ‘gambling’.

Anyone any ones to watch. Established or up and coming businesses. Got a bit to play with HL to buy some more.
I thought I had posted previously to say that GSK will be involved in the vaccine one way or another due to the size of their infrastructure, in my opinion they are they only company that have the ability to roll the vaccine out on the required scale.

Anyway, I digress, this morning they have announced a substantial deal with the government that should do your shares no harm

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:01 am

MRG wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am
I thought I had posted previously to say that GSK will be involved in the vaccine one way or another due to the size of their infrastructure, in my opinion they are they only company that have the ability to roll the vaccine out on the required scale.

Anyway, I digress, this morning they have announced a substantial deal with the government that should do your shares no harm
Up around 2% today GSK.

winsomeyen
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 405 times

Post by winsomeyen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:16 am

Avoid Abbey Wealth like the plague,they are scammers also being taken to the Supreme court in Spain charged with fraud.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:38 am

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:01 am
Up around 2% today GSK.
I expected a bigger jump. Let’s see what the next few days bring

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:26 pm

Right - here's a few for you but I warn you, ALL of these are high risk, so please do your own research and don't invest anything that you aren't prepared to lose. (I do have a spread of stocks (like I'm Warren Buffett - ha ha) which include blue chip types but these that I'm mentioning are all in AIM and much higher risk and are ones that I'm not reliant on should they go belly up i.e. I am prepared to lose the lot. That being said, I'm invested in these as I think they have a decent chance of performing (and some already have). OK here goes....

1. Ariana Resources - in line with the gold comments on this thread, this is decent little company which is, principally, an explorer but has a gold mine on the go and is profitable. It's also cut a deal, in effect another JV, and is promising to return a decent wedge to shareholders. Share price has performed and has gone up to almost 6p (having been around 3p for quite a while). It's drifted down to nearer to 5p recently for no apparent reason. Good company with good board of directors (in my opinion).

2. Inspired Energy - works with other companies to reduce energy costs. Has some big clients. Is buying up competition and market share and had recent share placing (at 15p) to boost fighting fund for more acquisitions. Again, well-run business and has made much of its business not being affected by C-19. Results due on 9th Sept (I think) and expected to be good but not priced in yet. Fidelity been buying the shares and now hodls more than 5% of the company

3. LiDCo - develops, manufactures, and sells hemodynamic monitoring equipment, internationally. Turn out their equipment is cutting edge for helping C-19 patients recover in hospital (although their products were available well before any of us had heard about C-19). Anyhow, LidCo had an enormous boost due to coronavirus but the share price has not responded (although going up to 10p is back down around 7-8p.There's also chatter about it being the subject of a takeover (although that, to me, seems very speculative).

4. Beowulf Mining - a straight 50/50 bet. It's sitting on £billions (literally) worth of iron ore in Sweden but the Swedish govt has been sat on their application to dig the stuff up for 7 (seven - as in videoprinter world on Grandstand) years. So, the gamble is, will the Swedish govt grant the licence before the company runs out of money or not. I've been reducing my holding here as I'm increasingly concerned that the govt is hoping to starve Beowulf and then nick the resource for nowt. The downside of this approach (for the govt) though is that no-one would ever invest in Swedish exploration again if they did this.

Please, please, please, though don't go throwing any money here unless you really understand the risk and have done your research (apologies if this sound patronising). I've made some money and lost some money with shares like these so be prepared for similar (including losing!!!)

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Goddy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:26 pm
Right - here's a few for you but I warn you, ALL of these are high risk, so please do your own research and don't invest anything that you aren't prepared to lose. (I do have a spread of stocks (like I'm Warren Buffett - ha ha) which include blue chip types but these that I'm mentioning are all in AIM and much higher risk and are ones that I'm not reliant on should they go belly up i.e. I am prepared to lose the lot. That being said, I'm invested in these as I think they have a decent chance of performing (and some already have). OK here goes....

1. Ariana Resources - in line with the gold comments on this thread, this is decent little company which is, principally, an explorer but has a gold mine on the go and is profitable. It's also cut a deal, in effect another JV, and is promising to return a decent wedge to shareholders. Share price has performed and has gone up to almost 6p (having been around 3p for quite a while). It's drifted down to nearer to 5p recently for no apparent reason. Good company with good board of directors (in my opinion).

2. Inspired Energy - works with other companies to reduce energy costs. Has some big clients. Is buying up competition and market share and had recent share placing (at 15p) to boost fighting fund for more acquisitions. Again, well-run business and has made much of its business not being affected by C-19. Results due on 9th Sept (I think) and expected to be good but not priced in yet. Fidelity been buying the shares and now hodls more than 5% of the company

3. LiDCo - develops, manufactures, and sells hemodynamic monitoring equipment, internationally. Turn out their equipment is cutting edge for helping C-19 patients recover in hospital (although their products were available well before any of us had heard about C-19). Anyhow, LidCo had an enormous boost due to coronavirus but the share price has not responded (although going up to 10p is back down around 7-8p.There's also chatter about it being the subject of a takeover (although that, to me, seems very speculative).

4. Beowulf Mining - a straight 50/50 bet. It's sitting on £billions (literally) worth of iron ore in Sweden but the Swedish govt has been sat on their application to dig the stuff up for 7 (seven - as in videoprinter world on Grandstand) years. So, the gamble is, will the Swedish govt grant the licence before the company runs out of money or not. I've been reducing my holding here as I'm increasingly concerned that the govt is hoping to starve Beowulf and then nick the resource for nowt. The downside of this approach (for the govt) though is that no-one would ever invest in Swedish exploration again if they did this.

Please, please, please, though don't go throwing any money here unless you really understand the risk and have done your research (apologies if this sound patronising). I've made some money and lost some money with shares like these so be prepared for similar (including losing!!!)
Thanks. Just taken a small gamble on Arianna.

Have just bought some more BT today or id have taken a little gamble on beowulf too.

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:13 am

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Thanks. Just taken a small gamble on Arianna.

Have just bought some more BT today or id have taken a little gamble on beowulf too.
Well, trading update from LiDCo this morning has just nudged the share price up by.....er.....25% - yikes!! That's the AIM market for you, I guess (and it could just as easily drop by that amount , too....so I don't mean to sound like I'm gloating as I've had the pain of large drops in share prices before now, too).

CFC - I think you'll be OK with Ariana. Seems a sound well-run small company, profitable, no debt, decent mine-life for its current operations as well as the promise of a special dividend (I'm thinking 0.5p is likely). I'm still in here (for what that's worth!). There's also another Claret who's invested in Ariana too, who pitches in on the LSE Share Chat board, which, if you're interested, you'll find here https://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?Sha ... are=Ariana

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:43 am

...and to prove the point, LiDCo sheds a penny from its high of half an hour ago. Still up 16% today but likely to keep drifting after all the earlier furore/excitement. Rollercoaster ride, as ever....

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:03 am

Fingers crossed for a decent morning for us, cfc, with Ariana..

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:01 pm

Goddy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:03 am
Fingers crossed for a decent morning for us, cfc, with Ariana..
You had reason to think so? Sorry havent followed it.
This user liked this post: Goddy

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:57 am

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:01 pm
You had reason to think so? Sorry havent followed it.
FAO cricketfieldclarets....and another very positive comment from Ariana has moved the price up again to over 6p. They've hit another high grade gold/silver vein.

This is where my lack of expertise is dreadfully exposed. When there's been a big rise (or fall, for that matter) I'm useless at working out what a decent exit strategy might be. Regarding Ariana, though, there's more news due about the joint venture due out (maybe the next 2-3 weeks) so I'll probably hang around to see what information comes out. Gold price still strong, too, so another good reason to stay in for now, perhaps.

Whatever you (or anyone else invested here or in any other stocks/shares, for that matter) - I wish you good luck

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:20 am

FAO cricketfieldclarets....and another very positive comment from Ariana has moved the price up again to over 6p. They've hit another high grade gold/silver vein.

This is where my lack of expertise is dreadfully exposed. When there's been a big rise (or fall, for that matter) I'm useless at working out what a decent exit strategy might be. Regarding Ariana, though, there's more news due about the joint venture due out (maybe the next 2-3 weeks) so I'll probably hang around to see what information comes out. Gold price still strong, too, so another good reason to stay in for now, perhaps.

Whatever you (or anyone else invested here or in any other stocks/shares, for that matter) - I wish you good luck

(Sorry for posting again - seems like my previous post came through as an edit)

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm

I think this thread centers around whether you want to actually invest and make money or do you want to play a game and hopefully make some money while you are at it.

To try and explain the above what I mean is that trading/watching stocks daily is difficult and time consuming, for those doing it seriously then it is a full time job, for me I never wanted to do that, I just wanted to make money and would never have the time and inclination to do it on a daily basis. Therefore when I started, after months or reading trying to learn and understand the fundamentals I bought Unit Trusts based on Country and Region, plus a couple of higher risk things like Unit trusts in the UK Recovery Fund.

At one point long ago when first arriving in the US we needed to buy cars and look at houses so sold a lot, then a few years later I sold the majority and bought a minority position in a company leaving some in Unit Trusts which we still have today.

Then 7 years ago I gave what I wanted to invest to a fund to manage on my behalf which has done really well through a basket of stocks. Of course C-19 it hard but last week the funds are back just above pre C-19 so as someone already said, don't invest what you can't afford to lose and follow the age old adage, buy low sell high, it's easy isn't it :)

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:14 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:07 pm
Very true, but in my case it is my pension pot, lots of people have nice cushy public sector pensions to come, and unless I invest well I will become one of those people you refer to who cannot afford their next meal in a few decades.

I’d question the term “gamble with” because while it is that for some, for those with some knowledge it is no different to buying and selling things on ebay to make a few bob, or buying a house in anticipation of it going up in value, Many of us invest in things all the time, without realising we are doing it.
Why is it that so many people who clearly have no knowledge about the stock markets, seem to think it's gambling? If they had a little more knowledge on the subject they would realise that without investors in the stock market, companies like Rolls Royce, BP, BT, Microsoft, Apple, Google, quite probably wouldn't exist. At least, not in their current form. All companies need investors to prosper. It's a normal part of company development.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:14 pm
Why is it that so many people who clearly have no knowledge about the stock markets, seem to think it's gambling? If they had a little more knowledge on the subject they would realise that without investors in the stock market, companies like Rolls Royce, BP, BT, Microsoft, Apple, Google, quite probably wouldn't exist. At least, not in their current form. All companies need investors to prosper. It's a normal part of company development.
not quite sure on this, are you trying to convince people that if the learn the stock markets and have some knowledge then when you invest it is not gambling and you can't lose? I find it hard to believe this is what you are saying but reading this it seems to me that is what you are saying.

I think it's obvious that any company on some sort of global stock market where they are selling shares need investors, it's why they are there, but even though they clearly want to improve and develop the risks are still there, otherwise if I read your post you should re mortgage your house and put it all into the stock market. Maybe you have and maybe I reading something in to the post that is not intended, I am not trying to e argumentative, just seeking some clarity as to your thought process, particularly around "it's not gambling".

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:02 pm

KateR wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:56 pm
not quite sure on this, are you trying to convince people that if the learn the stock markets and have some knowledge then when you invest it is not gambling and you can't lose? I find it hard to believe this is what you are saying but reading this it seems to me that is what you are saying.

I think it's obvious that any company on some sort of global stock market where they are selling shares need investors, it's why they are there, but even though they clearly want to improve and develop the risks are still there, otherwise if I read your post you should re mortgage your house and put it all into the stock market. Maybe you have and maybe I reading something in to the post that is not intended, I am not trying to e argumentative, just seeking some clarity as to your thought process, particularly around "it's not gambling".
It's no more gambling than it is buying a house, and most people do that at some stage in their lives. Of course, if you buy a rickity old house in tornado alley and don't expect some problems, then you're a fool. The same applies to stocks. If you buy penny shares with no track record, then you are asking for trouble.

I associate gambling with betting on horses, football etc. where the odds are always tilted in the bookies favaour. 'Investing' on the other hand can be a much more profitable experience, as there is no one setting the odds against you to make their own profit. I learned a a good lesson years ago when I read what is on one armed bandits. It said that players receive a 74% return on their money, so over time you will always lose. That's not the case with the stock market. Choose carefully and you will win far more often than you lose.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Ferro Alloy Resources Ltd. went up by 37% yesterday. Down 6% today. Involved in battery production. Have just developed a process that cuts out the middle man for battery processing. Not a tip but worth looking at. I’m invested.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:02 pm
It's no more gambling than it is buying a house, and most people do that at some stage in their lives. Of course, if you buy a rickity old house in tornado alley and don't expect some problems, then you're a fool. The same applies to stocks. If you buy penny shares with no track record, then you are asking for trouble.

I associate gambling with betting on horses, football etc. where the odds are always tilted in the bookies favaour. 'Investing' on the other hand can be a much more profitable experience, as there is no one setting the odds against you to make their own profit. I learned a a good lesson years ago when I read what is on one armed bandits. It said that players receive a 74% return on their money, so over time you will always lose. That's not the case with the stock market. Choose carefully and you will win far more often than you lose.
I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of buying a house. Most people, when they buy a house, do it because they want somewhere to live. They aren't thinking of profit and trading in houses, they're thinking of having a roof and walls to keep them warm and dry. And when you buy a house, you can generally by your own efforts ensure that it retains its value as a house by making sure the roof is maintained and so forth.

Stock markets aren't like that. People buy shares purely because they want to make, or preserve the value of, mone, and once they have bought them there is nothing they can do to maintain their value (except pray). They might win, they might lose. It's a gamble.

But the issue, if issue there is, is with the way the English language works. You define gambling as being where you risk losing it all; other people define gambling as where they risk losing some of it. English is like that. You can't assume that your definition of a word is immutable and must be accepted by everyone else.
This user liked this post: KateR

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:01 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 pm
I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of buying a house. Most people, when they buy a house, do it because they want somewhere to live. They aren't thinking of profit and trading in houses, they're thinking of having a roof and walls to keep them warm and dry. And when you buy a house, you can generally by your own efforts ensure that it retains its value as a house by making sure the roof is maintained and so forth.

Stock markets aren't like that. People buy shares purely because they want to make, or preserve the value of, mone, and once they have bought them there is nothing they can do to maintain their value (except pray). They might win, they might lose. It's a gamble.

But the issue, if issue there is, is with the way the English language works. You define gambling as being where you risk losing it all; other people define gambling as where they risk losing some of it. English is like that. You can't assume that your definition of a word is immutable and must be accepted by everyone else.
The house analogy was exactly that, an analogy. I could have used other things but I suggest that you look at the Wikipedia definitions of 'Gambling' and 'Investment'. The British Gambling Commission covers all forms of gambling, yet it has no remit over the stock markets. Why not if it's gambling? Every gambler knows that he's likely to lose his money on a bet and over time every gambler WILL lose money. That's a fact. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar, deluded. or both. On the other hand, the stock market generaly speaking provides a profitable return over time. Of course, there are exceptions, like the penny shares I mentioned earlier, where the risk is much higher, but it's your own fault if you invest in such risky stocks.

I'm sure you will think about the 'Financial crash' of 2007 / 08 but that was a rare event and even then, the majority of people who lost money, were the ones who panicked and sold their shares at very low prices. Had they not panicked, then they would have found that the vast majority of companies recovered very well and the share prices are mostly a lot higher now than they were before the crash. Add to that any dividends over that period and most people who invested in the early naughties and kept their shares, are far, far better off than they were before.

The stock markets are NOT gambling. You just need to understand it before investing, which most people don't.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:42 am

What about the dot com crash I’m 1999 / 2000 ?
These were not penny shares - billions were wiped of stock market values and lots of people lost a lot of money.
This wasn’t just in individual company shares either. Many people had tech funds such as Aberdeen technology - taken to spread risk and previously market leading and they plummeted along many other popular tech funds.

As for the term gamble it’s a bit daft using dictionary definitions - they often do not reflect that words evolve and are used in different contexts. People use it for shares because relative to other investments they are a “gamble” in that they can be a lot riskier.

Yes investing in the stock market over a period of time has historically always been proven to be a sound investment. But that is not how investment works for the majority of people - they choose either individual company shares to invest in or funds and it has been proven beyond any doubt that not all of these make money over even the longest period. We are not taking penny shares here.

As you know investing in individual shares or funds is an absolute minefield - well done if you have done well. That does not mean you are more financially astute than me or anyone else.

To suggest it’s not a “gamble” is a bit daft to be honest. Try and explain to someone with shares in one of the sectors that will probably never recover due to the pandemic that they weren’t a gamble and see if they are comforted by the fact that the stock market overall will historically increase over a period of time.

And just to clarify - no I don’t think that generally buying shares is more of a gamble than backing a horse. But in the same way you research a company many people will research a horse - you can lose money on both. In both situations there is very likely to be information you will never be party to....eg that a horse is going to be held up deliberately to improve its handicap or for a company that the chair is just about to resign or they are on the verge of losing a major contract.
These things which are out of your control and include things like pandemics or disasters are what define them as a gamble....or risk or whatever term you choose to use.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:50 pm

Exxon Removed From the Dow After Nearly 100 Years:

The NuScale SMR business I started a thread on the other day, I researched, a lot, shares bought $99, today value of a share, $9.7, it's going to have to be a miracle for me to make my money back, it might happen but only if they actual build one and start operating it successfully, but by then, the earliest it could be would 17 years of an investment.

I can agree that you need the research and that you have various categories along the risk severity, if you are younger you can go for a few very risk and know you have a chance to lose, just like you can bet on the rank outsider in any race, sometimes they win. Any way you cut it, it's a gamble but as always it's just peoples perspective, however I think it is very dangerous to quote it's not a gamble, every investment you go in to clearly has warnings about losing your money, and many do in all walks of life.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Post by expoultryboy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:52 pm

I know a lot of people don't like using AIM ( top claret ) , but I'm presently invested in a medical/cancer research company called Sareum (sar) . Last week the shares almost doubled as there's multiple news coming including hopefully a covid research grant next week . If you look at this on LSE , the main people to listen to are thoth and luctonews . I'm not ramping this stock , dyor but it could be good .
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Top Claret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:48 pm

Goddy wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:20 am

(Sorry for posting again - seems like my previous post came through as an edit)
Sorry only just saw this. I did by some ariana. Havent bought anything for a few weeks though. So will keep my eye on this thread.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:53 pm

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 pm
How to make a million pounds...

Start off with ten million then follow investment advice on UTC!!!

Do your own research (as I found out to my own cost)
#GKP
#Rockhopper

😢😢😢
Well my SIPP has done 50% in the last 12 months.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Never heard of Ariana mining until now and never realised that Turkey had gold mines, never mind.

Burnt my fingers quite a few times investing on aim and would tell people to dyor before you have a dabble and only invest what you can afford to lose

Dripped a few Bob into Thor mining last week. Thor is an Australian mining company who have mines in the USA and WA. Another company I have been researching is Alien mining (UFO) they own a silver mines in Mexico, Tunstan in Nevada and Gold in WA

Commodities is definitely the flavour of the month Greetland gold were around 3p in March and are 23p today

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Post by expoultryboy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:28 am

I did the same alanstevenson , followed the "herd" with companies like rockhopper , desire and exite . Since then i hope I've learnt my lesson and always done my own in depth research . I hope a few of you did the same after my post about Sareum on Saturday . Always set yourself a target and don't be toooo greedy .

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:49 am

Blackrod wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:28 pm

This.