do we pay our recruitment team all year round?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kenyon6923
Been Liked: 31 times

do we pay our recruitment team all year round?

Post by kenyon6923 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:23 pm

if so what do they do ? do what any supporter could do and recommend loads of players that don't want to play for us / or we cannot afford ??
What do they do between the 2 transfer windows ??

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Re: do we pay our recruitment team all year round?

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Lets have it right, they're finding players for the Under 23s from all over the place 😉

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:25 pm

We pay them all year but they only work on transfer deadline day 😏

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Recruitment team can recommend a thousand players, and get the info on how much they cost and what they’re on.

They don’t sign the cheques though do they?
This user liked this post: bf2k

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:27 pm

3 critera

1) are they past their best

2) have they played in the premier league regardless of talent

3) are they cheap and so shite no one else wants them?

sadly we have to wait until 10 mins before deadline to find them

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:33 pm

They could find the next Messi, but the man signing the cheques might not allow it.
He wants to decide on everything, even if it's not his field of expertise.

He is the reason we are in this mess, he doesnt want to listen to the miracle worker and the bloke who knows what he is doing.
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony JohnDearyMe mybloodisclaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:38 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:33 pm
They could find the next Messi, but the man signing the cheques might not allow it.

He is the reason we are in this mess, he doesnt want to listen to the miracle worker and the bloke who knows what he is doing.
I’d love to confidently tell you that you’re wrong. Unfortunately, I think it could well be me that would be incorrect.
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony randomclaret2 mybloodisclaret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:40 pm

MACCA wrote:

Hi Macca, it's an expensive business running a Premier League football club. If it was me signing the cheques I'd want a big say in where the money was spent. Now, how does the club owner get the expertise to make those decisions correctly? Or, should he hand over the cheque book to someone who see's his role as spending the money, but not worrying about how much is spent or when the money will run out?

It's a fun challenge, isn't it.

UTC

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:42 pm

I bet thieir contracts aren't allowed to run down

Read the press release earlier of when Mike Rigg was appointed. It says "he will oversee a new LARGE investment programme in growing the talent identification and analysis team at the club"

Mike Garlic said"We feel Mike can identify and hire the best possible talent both nationally and internationally"

Leave you guys to make judgement

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:43 pm

Its a "fun challenge " that the club are getting completely wrong when they are down to 11 fit outfield players after 1 game.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:44 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:38 pm
I’d love to confidently tell you that you’re wrong. Unfortunately, I think it could well be me that would be incorrect.
But he has signed some pretty wasteful cheques these last few years

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:40 pm
Hi Macca, it's an expensive business running a Premier League football club. If it was me signing the cheques I'd want a big say in where the money was spent. Now, how does the club owner get the expertise to make those decisions correctly? Or, should he hand over the cheque book to someone who see's his role as spending the money, but not worrying about how much is spent or when the money will run out?

UTC
He should figure out how much we can afford to spend on wages and fees and communicate those amounts to someone with the expertise to make the decisions correctly. That way the financial decisions are made by finance people and the footballing decisions are made by football people.

I'm not sure it is a fun challenge - I think it's a common sense model used by football clubs everywhere.
This user liked this post: BabylonClaret

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Hodge, Rigg, Garlick.

A trio of incompetent ********.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:45 pm

If and when the club gets sold I’d wager that Rigg is the first one to loose his job if we don’t get anyone decent in this window, the clock is ticking, we really do need two players of quality pronto.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:40 pm

UTC
The "club owner" has someone to advise him about football matters that couldn't be anymore qualified for the job if he tried.

I don't think anybody has suggested he hands over a blank cheque book have they? But giving the manager a budget to work with might be start, don't you think?

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:44 pm
But he has signed some pretty wasteful cheques these last few years
He has. He can either keep trusting the manager's judgement on who to sign or he can change the manager. He can't just stop making signings.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Looking forward to SD's post match reflection. Before anyone says shut-up he is paid handsomely, he fully deserves it. He has won us 2 promotions and secured us 5 years in the PL with income each of these 5 years in excess of £100m pa.There is also the initial year in the Prem with him. I feel for the guy and dont begrudge him a penny. He IS the club.Who will be motivating him tonight-luckily Kettering is a short journey
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:49 pm

MACCA wrote:

Once again, I wish I could disagree but this has an awful ring of truth about it. Explains entirely why Dyche isn’t just given a specified budget to spend as he sees fit.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:52 pm

MACCA wrote:

Bang on the money, best post in a while....let's not continue with this if it's not broke dont fix it b******s, he is getting pretty close to taking this club to ruination.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1089 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:56 pm

I hear the Fax Machine gets a good bonus this time of year.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:58 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 pm
The "club owner" has someone to advise him about football matters that couldn't be anymore qualified for the job if he tried.

I don't think anybody has suggested he hands over a blank cheque book have they? But giving the manager a budget to work with might be start, don't you think?
I don't know, ksr. I doubt any of us know where the club's finances are at the moment. We all know that Mike Garlick, in early April, spoke about the possible financial impact of covid-19 on the club's finances. None of us, I expect, have direct knowledge of all the contracts with players, both the existing ones and those that left at the end of last season. None of us know what the club's accounts look like for the season just ended, were we in profit or were we already showing losses? (We do know what the previous year's accounts show, but that was the year end 30-Jun-2019). Revenues have taken a hit, but how big is that hit? Costs are up, but how big are these extra costs? Budgets come from knowing the answers to these questions - that's if giving a manager a budget for player transfers and wages is a good idea.

UTC

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:02 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:58 pm
I don't know, ksr. I doubt any of us know where the club's finances are at the moment. We all know that Mike Garlick, in early April, spoke about the possible financial impact of covid-19 on the club's finances. None of us, I expect, have direct knowledge of all the contracts with players, both the existing ones and those that left at the end of last season. None of us know what the club's accounts look like for the season just ended, were we in profit or were we already showing losses? (We do know what the previous year's accounts show, but that was the year end 30-Jun-2019). Revenues have taken a hit, but how big is that hit? Costs are up, but how big are these extra costs? Budgets come from knowing the answers to these questions - that's if giving a manager a budget for player transfers and wages is a good idea.

UTC
I'll tell you who ought to have an answer for all those questions - Mike Garlick. I'd expect an intelligent businessman like him to be able to do a few sums to that end and come up with a plan for moving forwards. I'd then expect him to communicate this plan with his senior leaders.

As for the question of "is giving the manager a budget for transfers and wages a good idea", I'll again refer you to the comments of the man who couldn't be anymore qualified to run the football side of things at Burnley FC. He clearly feels he needs to know what his budget is, and that not knowing is causing huge difficulty.
This user liked this post: MRG

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:08 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:26 pm
Recruitment team can recommend a thousand players, and get the info on how much they cost and what they’re on.

They don’t sign the cheques though do they?
Spot on. If the man at the top won’t invest the clubs money on players identified there isn’ta loot the manager or recruitment team can do.

Garlick time to sell.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:19 pm

We've been in the premier league for four seasons Paul, and unlike most clubs, have made a healthy profit in the process. Keeping your powder dry as we have so well, should put us in a pretty good situation relative to other clubs. If we're struggling, then you pretty much guarantee clubs with players sat in our budget range are. How are most of the championship doing if we've barely got a senior eleven? Sending one of the best manager's we've ever had to Leicester with a squad that thin is an embarrassment, nothing short of it. It's an insult to the work he's put in, and to the fans who pay their money every week.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:34 pm

I know it's only one example but Hakim Ziyech - fee and terms agreed with FC Twente - then the player/his representatives waited for a more attractive offer to come along and he signed for Ajax

We can identify endless players but in reality unless they are going nowhere in the Championship with little else on offer no-one is going to jump at the chance of signing for us in the first instance if they think they might get a better offer

The result is we tend to pick up the players who don't find something better as the window is about to close

I have no idea whether or not our recruitment team is doing the job it is expected to do - but it's not as simple as saying we are not identifying the right players

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:36 pm

The board have had their time. They were comfortable in the championship and early pl days playing the little old burnley line. It just won't do anymore. dyche has brought this club to where it is kicking and screaming. Sell up and let somebody else kick on from here because by doing nothing they are damaging the club no end.
These 3 users liked this post: bf2k mybloodisclaret Boss Hogg

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:44 pm

Covid travel restrictions havent helped. The recruitment team formed a support bubble with Stoke City FC which made sense but unfortunately have drawn a blank so far

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:07 pm

Some seriously unfair and unjust criticism aimed at the Chairman on this thread. Since Covid took hold the Club has been in financial turmoil with severe broadcast rebates and the loss of Suning, a very important overseas rights-holder. All of which has resulted in the Club losing many millions of revenue that had previously been effectively taken for granted. Worse still is the potential for even greater rebates in this coming season.

We took a difficult decision to extend the financial year-end by one month until the end of July, so that the accounts for the 13 month period were completed and audited around three weeks ago. When the outcome of those accounts became apparent I'm 99% certain that Sean Dyche will have been informed that there would be no incoming transfers until one of our crown jewels had been sold. That's where we currently stand, with an ongoing situation that is likely to be resolved during this coming week.

It's been a tough and uncertain time for everyone connected with Burnley Football Club, but be assured there is no more frustrated fan of the Club right now than the Chairman himself. Be patient and see how matters unfolld in the next few days.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:07 pm
Some seriously unfair and unjust criticism aimed at the Chairman on this thread. Since Covid took hold the Club has been in financial turmoil with severe broadcast rebates and the loss of Suning, a very important overseas rights-holder. All of which has resulted in the Club losing many millions of revenue that had previously been effectively taken for granted. Worse still is the potential for even greater rebates in this coming season.

We took a difficult decision to extend the financial year-end by one month until the end of July, so that the accounts for the 13 month period were completed and audited around three weeks ago. When the outcome of those accounts became apparent I'm 99% certain that Sean Dyche will have been informed that there would be no incoming transfers until one of our crown jewels had been sold. That's where we currently stand, with an ongoing situation that is likely to be resolved during this coming week.

It's been a tough and uncertain time for everyone connected with Burnley Football Club, but be assured there is no more frustrated fan of the Club right now than the Chairman himself. Be patient and see how matters unfolld in the next few days.
The most intriguing post I have seen on here in the past several months. To be clear Roy, and others; I don't blame Mike, or any of the board for where we are at, everyone knows its so difficult guiding Burnley to where we are and they have all, to a man been amazing, great stewards to our wonderful club. However if the time has come that the journey has come to an end, then thats sadly how it is. Its clear we are at a massive crossroads in our history, we need players, if we can not back the manager, I fear we lose him and our place in the best league in the world. We have been so lucky to get right back to the top, through 15-20 years of great leadership, surely now we need to try and maintain it for as long as we can.

UTC.
These 2 users liked this post: Transpennine Wokingclaret

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:37 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:

That’s this summer explained, Royboy (and, the only transfer window thus far where Covid-19 has existed and been an existential threat to our finances).

What about the last 4 windows before this one?

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:41 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:37 pm

What about the last 40* windows before this one?
Corrected it for you.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 am

Royboyclaret wrote:

So reading between the lines because we have lost projected revenue the board don’t have the cojones to spend a penny. The fact that we have an absolute threadbare squad as it is and won’t add to it without selling is an absolute disgrace. We might aswell pack it in if that’s the case.

Something somewhere is very wrong.

Row Z
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:37 am

Right_winger wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 am

Something somewhere is very wrong.
Agreed. I don't think even MG would suggest that we have any chance of staying up when we start the season with such a small squad and lack of options.

Financially we have trimmed considerable money off the wage bill with Lennon / Gibson / Hart / Hendrick all leaving. Yes some of this may have already been accounted for, but football did return prior to August as MG had highlighted would be needed and if the rumours were true we were offering Hendrick a new contract, so there is money to be spent.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 am

If your job was to find someone a new car and they had a £10,000 budget and wanted to pay £100 a year in tax.

You’d find them a car that suits.

It’s blatantly obvious to our fans what our criteria is for players and how much we like to spend on transfers/wages ....even what positions need reinforcements.If it was our job to go and find players then I’m confident in saying we could find some who would fit the criteria given.