ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Re: ALK Capital...

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:20 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:17 pm
I find it remarkable how many people are still referencing Venkys.

You only have to read one of the published articles about this to know that they are nothing remotely like Venkys.
I assume that means no chicken then :D

And no Shebby :evil:

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Passing Clouds wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:10 am
I look down down on the likes of City and Chelsea because they have lost a connection with their history and people.
Why do people always use clubs like City or Chelsea as their examples of investment? Why not look at Leicester - all the £ multi-million investment has been used to enhance the club and enrich their links in the local community, it also won them a Premier League title!

Do older, lifelong fans of City or Chelsea not still support their team despite the riches that have been lavished on their clubs? Do they see their league titles and various cup trophies as less valuable then the ones they won before investment? I doubt it very much.
Last edited by bfcmik on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:23 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:20 pm
I assume that means no chicken then :D

And no Shebby :evil:
The chicken I could handle......Shebby I’m not so sure!

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:25 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:22 pm
Why do people always use clubs like City or Chelsea as their examples of investment? Why not look at Leicester - all the £ multi-million investment has been used to enhance the club and enrich their links in the local community, it also won them a Premier League title!

Do older, lifelong fans of City or Chelsea not still support their team despite the riches that have been lavished on their clubs? Do they see their league titles and various cup trophies as less valuable then the ones they won before investment? I doubt it very much.
Very fair point, also I imagine the younger end, the future, love the fact they compete in the manner that they do.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 pm

bfcmik wrote:

it's like people don't want the best for their child, it's mind boggling some of the stuff that people are coming out with

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:20 am
Why would we make an announcement to the financial markets? We are a private company, not a public one.
How on Earth would I know? It was posted by one of the posters who seems to know far more about it than I do. Which is why I said it had already been suggested by others that there was an announcement likely to be made on Friday. I really wouldn't know. Apologies for any confusion caused.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 pm
it's like people don't want the best for their child, it's mind boggling some of the stuff that people are coming out with
It's the small town mentality that is entrenched in many of our fan base. They constantly compare everything to the 80's to justify events today without realising that it's just as irrelevant as comparing today to the 60's. I always think of the league of gentlemen. Local club for local people....
These 2 users liked this post: Somethingfishy GodIsADeeJay81

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:41 pm

This thread started off so well, and as usual has tailed off...can we chalk it off and start off again when it all goes tits up, ALK Capital Punishment seems an apt title.

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:49 am

Interesting snippet from the Sheff Utd board.
Clearly the investment model for Burnley may or may not be similar to the one mooted below. Appreciating that ALK front the deal and the investment behind can be private or corporate wealth (which may be different in size or combination for the Burnley offer).

“What came out in Court suggests ALK were not going to invest millions into the Club either. They intended to pay for their 85% share over a 5 year period in equal instalments annually at 20% of the price. In all likelihood they would have also had to obtain loans to make the payments or use the TV Money. The price would have been significantly greater than the estimated £40 mill plus the Prince had to pay for the assets as he already owned half of BLL.

The Judge valued the Club as an EPL entity at £104m. Add in another £46m for the assets and thats a total value of approx £150m. 85% of that would have cost ALK £127m a considerably larger amount of debt than the Club currently has.”

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:11 am

Father Jack wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:49 am
Clearly the investment model for Burnley may or may not be similar to the one mooted below. Appreciating that ALK front the deal and the investment behind can be private or corporate wealth (which may be different in size or combination for the Burnley offer).

“What came out in Court suggests ALK were not going to invest millions into the Club either. They intended to pay for their 85% share over a 5 year period in equal instalments annually at 20% of the price. In all likelihood they would have also had to obtain loans to make the payments or use the TV Money. The price would have been significantly greater than the estimated £40 mill plus the Prince had to pay for the assets as he already owned half of BLL.

The Judge valued the Club as an EPL entity at £104m. Add in another £46m for the assets and thats a total value of approx £150m. 85% of that would have cost ALK £127m a considerably larger amount of debt than the Club currently has.”
An element of vendor financing would not be unusual in a corporate sale - MG (and other shareholders) get paid £X on completion and additional sum(s) £Y at agreed later date(s). There could even be a "performance" element in the sums.

As with all deals, it's important for the seller to establish that the buyer has the money and can and will pay the amounts agreed on the due date(s). It would be usual to do this with some forms of security, possibly guarantees from banks that cannot be revoked by the buyer (or the bank) provided the seller has met all agreed obligations. (Forget to do this and you risk an ITV Digital situation).

UTC

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 am

For the above reason I am very sceptical about any consortium takeover. I don’t believe for a moment they have any more money, or invest more money, than Garlick.

Passing Clouds
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Passing Clouds » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:34 am

bfcmik wrote:

I’m sure fans of City and Chelsea love their success... but I reckon their more thoughtful fans have a slightly uneasy, nagging feeling about the dirty money that achieved it. As for the ‘wanting the best for your child’ analogy. I want my kids to appreciate a sense of pride in history, hard work, teamwork and not selling their soul to buy success.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:36 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 am
For the above reason I am very sceptical about any consortium takeover. I don’t believe for a moment they have any more money, or invest more money, than Garlick.
If this is the case, given that Mr Garlick only has the club's best interests at heart, he wont sell to them.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:39 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:36 am
If this is the case, given that Mr Garlick only has the club's best interests at heart, he wont sell to them.
Yep, I completely believe that.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2917 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:43 am

Father Jack wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:49 am

I'm no financial expert but this sounds similar to the process the Glazier's used to buy Manchester United.
Borrow the money, then transfer to debt, albeit installments, to the club.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:52 am

gawthorpe_view wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:43 am
I'm no financial expert but this sounds similar to the process the Glazier's used to buy Manchester United.
Borrow the money, then transfer to debt, albeit installments, to the club.
A lot of businesses are bought with their own money ultimately. I’ve done it.

There aren’t many people or organisations that can go and buy a business with ‘cash’.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:55 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 pm
It's the small town mentality that is entrenched in many of our fan base. They constantly compare everything to the 80's to justify events today without realising that it's just as irrelevant as comparing today to the 60's. I always think of the league of gentlemen. Local club for local people....

And a penny has finally dropped. I had a rant over a decade ago (on the old forum) that you can bet that there are people who will still bemoan the fact that you can't turn up at ten to three on matchdays and find a parking space outside the Bob Lord Stand.

Passing Clouds
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Passing Clouds » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:23 am

I think it's unfair to label those not in favour of BFC becoming an outside investment club as 'dinosaurs.' I'm all for spending money on players, wages and developing infrastructure - I just don't want us to lose our identity. This transfer window has certainly been unsatisfactory but there are exceptional external factors at play. We do need to loosen the purse strings but we have shown previously we can compete and the club has grown - it's all conjecture of course but the investment doesn't sound like billions - would it make us top 6?
These 2 users liked this post: Winstonswhite Dark Cloud

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:25 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 pm
It’s been said elsewhere that there are three reasons for investing in a football club. Because you love the club, to align with and raise the profile of your own brand, or to make or launder money. We have to ask ourselves what the motivation is here. We’d all like to see greater investment in players, but where will that money come from? A different owner isn’t going to significantly increase our income. They might bring some improvements on the commercial side, but primarily our income will depend on the performance of the players. A different owner could take a freer approach than the current board on finances, but then we know how that can go terribly wrong too. I’d rather the club be well managed than recklessly managed. And I’d rather the owners be motivated by love of club than desire for profit. I don’t think that’s a small town mentality but a pragmatic one.
These 3 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Zlatan Duffer_

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:29 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:25 pm
It’s been said elsewhere that there are three reasons for investing in a football club. Because you love the club, to align with and raise the profile of your own brand, or to make or launder money. We have to ask ourselves what the motivation is here. We’d all like to see greater investment in players, but where will that money come from? A different owner isn’t going to significantly increase our income. They might bring some improvements on the commercial side, but primarily our income will depend on the performance of the players. A different owner could take a freer approach than the current board on finances, but then we know how that can go terribly wrong too. I’d rather the club be well managed than recklessly managed. And I’d rather the owners be motivated by love of club than desire for profit. I don’t think that’s a small town mentality but a pragmatic one.
I'm standing to applaud! :)

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:55 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:29 pm
I'm standing to applaud! :)
Nope, it completely disregards the fact that the man who all the investment sceptics seems to trust implicitly is the man that wants to sell.

It also completely ignores that he’s also the man who seemingly has an irreparable rift with arguably our best ever manager.

Something has got to give and investment seems the way it is going.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:59 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:55 pm
Nope, it completely disregards the fact that the man who all the investment sceptics seems to trust implicitly is the man that wants to sell.

It also completely ignores that he’s also the man who seemingly has an irreparable rift with arguably our best ever manager.

I don't think Mike Garlick wants to sell at all. He just feels that because of his limited wealth, he can't take us further and is doing what he firmly believes will help us to retain our PL status.

So many people on here that have no clue about what's going on but are always happy to criticise.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:23 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:59 pm
I don't think Mike Garlick wants to sell at all. He just feels that because of his limited wealth, he can't take us further and is doing what he firmly believes will help us to retain our PL status.

So many people on here that have no clue about what's going on but are always happy to criticise.
So he wants to sell then? However you carve it up, Mike Garlick is looking to sell.

Not criticising him for that at all, just pointing out that the “I’m happy as we are” crowd completely ignore the fact that the man they seem to trust isn’t.

kendaldave
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by kendaldave » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:24 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:55 pm

I wouldn't assume new owners are going to retain 'our best ever manager' - could easily decide they want a more high profile manager.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:33 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:23 pm
So he wants to sell then? However you carve it up, Mike Garlick is looking to sell.

Not criticising him for that at all, just pointing out that the “I’m happy as we are” crowd completely ignore the fact that the man they seem to trust isn’t.
The “I’m happy as we are” crowd are entitled to their view. Personally, I'm pretty pragmatic about the situation. It all depends on whether or not a takeover benefits the club, especially on the playing side.

What we don't want is an organisation like the Venkys or the Glazers, but if we can follow the Liverpool example, I'd be more than happy.

At the moment, no-one knows what, if anything, we will get, but plenty are willing to stick their oars in without knowing anything about any deal.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:35 pm

[/quote]

Well we won't know what's going on if there is no communication

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:36 pm

kendaldave wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:24 pm
I wouldn't assume new owners are going to retain 'our best ever manager' - could easily decide they want a more high profile manager.
They could.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:37 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:33 pm
The “I’m happy as we are” crowd are entitled to their view. Personally, I'm pretty pragmatic about the situation. It all depends on whether or not a takeover benefits the club, especially on the playing side.

What we don't want is an organisation like the Venkys or the Glazers, but if we can follow the Liverpool example, I'd be more than happy.

At the moment, no-one knows what, if anything, we will get, but plenty are willing to stick their oars in without knowing anything about any deal.
They are, just pointing out that there is a fundamental flaw in their stance.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:38 pm

kendaldave wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:24 pm
Why wouldn't they? They know how well we've done under Sean and I doubt that they are stupid. Imagine the backlash against them if they sacked him!

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:40 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:37 pm
They are, just pointing out that there is a fundamental flaw in their stance.
Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but what flaw is that?

kendaldave
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by kendaldave » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:55 pm

[quote=Gordaleman post_id=1379346 time=1601127523 user_id=6512]
Why wouldn't they? They know how well we've done under Sean and I doubt that they are stupid. Imagine the backlash against them if they sacked him!
[/quote]
If they decide he's not the man they want, I can't imagine they'd be too worried about a fan backlash.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:38 pm
If their model is to unearth undetected gems from lower leagues, then bring them through the first team and sell them at a profit, then Sean is probably not the manager for them.

He's unlikely to ever change his starting line-up unless forced to by injuries, which really won't help with that strategy.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:05 pm
If their model is to unearth undetected gems from lower leagues, then bring them through the first team and sell them at a profit, then Sean is probably not the manager for them.

He's unlikely to ever change his starting line-up unless forced to by injuries, which really won't help with that strategy.
Well if they go down that route, they will quickly lose a lot of the fan base.

That said, we've no real idea what they intent to do yet. It's just gueswork at the moment and it might not even happen.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Passing Clouds wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:34 am
I’m sure fans of City and Chelsea love their success... but I reckon their more thoughtful fans have a slightly uneasy, nagging feeling about the dirty money that achieved it. As for the ‘wanting the best for your child’ analogy. I want my kids to appreciate a sense of pride in history, hard work, teamwork and not selling their soul to buy success.
I know 2 Chelsea fans, on is 45 and the other is 70 - they completely disagree with you

I know 1 City fan and to quote - "after decades of crap this is ******* brilliant"

History is exactly that
Name me ONE successful team that spends money where the players don't work easily as hard as our lads ?

ewanrob

Post by ewanrob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:21 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:16 pm
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 13696?s=19

And this means what !!
That he has read this thread - that information was shared way back up it

ewanrob

Post by ewanrob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Oops sorry

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:34 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:32 pm
Oops sorry
not required mate

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:35 pm

from the MMT thread but just as appropriate here

Sam Wallace in the Telegraph is sceptical (or is that scathing at the thought) of the new wave of American "Investors"

Covid era is not threatening American investors' interest in Premier League clubs - but what do they think they are buying?
If Burnley were to fall into hands of US investors, it would make club fifth in the Premier League owned outright by American money

SAM WALLACE - CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER
26 September 2020 • 1:35pm
Sam Wallace

European football: the place where many American investors have come to lose lots of their money, or indeed lots of other people’s money, although that eagerness to pursue the dream of ownership and a profit too, seems to live on regardless.

Burnley are about to fall into the hands, it seems, of ALK Capital, another one of those deathless names from the US sports investment scene which has lurked around the margins of other available clubs, like Sheffield United, before now. In the Covid era many more clubs are in play, including Southampton, West Ham and others, with the old dilemma on one side of the viability of any potential owner, and on the other the question of valuation.

Were Burnley to fall into the hands of US investors it would make the Lancashire club the fifth in the Premier League owned outright by American money and the ninth to have Americans as part of their ownership group. In the Football League there are a further eight, and of course the prospect of the Hollywood actor Ryan Reynolds funding the acquisition of National League Wrexham was too intriguing to ignore even in a week when that league’s very existence has been in the balance.

It begs the eternal questions: what do they think they are buying? And also, are they aware of the concept of relegation? The American interest has been driven, as far as the clubs can see, by a Covid-driven collapse of many of the sectors in which these funds would ordinarily invest. The hospitality industry, for instance, is in crisis so football clubs became an alternative in which US investors see a strong chance of rebounding quickly. But to where?

At Southampton, where Chinese owner Gao Jisheng wants to sell after an impecunious and forgettable ownership, the problem is obvious for a well-run club with a tight-knit management team. They want a good owner who will invest wisely and allow the club to play to its strengths. The most voluble candidate connected to Saints has been a US investor, Joseph DaGrosa, favourably profiled by some American media. His interest in Saints, which has never been denied, is largely allied to remarks he made about buying a club with a strong academy tradition.

Like ALK Capital, DaGrosa has sniffed around available clubs in the past. He claimed to be interested in buying Newcastle United and gave interviews on the subject. He was briefly in control of Bordeaux in Ligue 1 who could scarcely be said to have flourished under his ownership. He has said he wishes to buy a group of clubs and modestly hinted he could do it better than Manchester City’s owners. As for where the funds will come from, there is less clarity. There has been no contact by him or associates with Southampton’s executive team, although what overtures have been made to Gao is not known. A request from the Telegraph to DaGrosa’s Florida office for a discussion on such matters did not get a response.

At Burnley, the suggestion is that the existing ownership group, primarily chairman Mike Garlick would continue to run the club on behalf of new owners. At Saints, Katharina Liebherr, whose family still own 20 per cent, has a veto on any new ownership. Beyond that even the current executive team, including manager Ralph Hasenhuttl, could refuse to work with a prospective new owner before they went through Premier League vetting. That would create a formidable obstacle to any takeover.

The US investment sector now even has the former Premier League chief executive, latterly executive chairman, Richard Scudamore amongst its advisors. He works on behalf of RedBall, one of many US special purpose advisory companies (SPACs) set up to raise funds for investment.

The dream of American ownership is Liverpool where Fenway Sports have transformed the fortunes and finances of the club. At Manchester United and Arsenal where the Glazer and Kroenke families are reviled by fans the view in the US remains nevertheless that they have seized control of valuable assets.

In the Championship, Paul Conway is the American co-chairman of Barnsley, bought by his Pacific Media Group consortium in 2017. Conway is scathing about governance in English football and the Football League in particular, claiming that stronger regulatory bodies would attract more investment from the US. Conway’s consortium also own FC Thun in Switzerland, Ostende in Belgium and previously Nice in Ligue One. “In France the governance is much stronger and the rules are much clearer,” Conway tells the Telegraph, “England is the wild west. How can clubs get away with not paying players or going into administration and yet not get relegated?”

Conway is sceptical about the valuations attached to clubs. “They don’t make any sense,” he says. Taking the example of Southampton where Gao’s 80 per cent stake is valued at around £200 million he says that “for lower half [of the Premier League] teams they are a bad run of games from relegation and then you are looking at valuations of £40 million to £50 million.”

The attraction in buying clubs with low valuations relative to revenue is obvious for US investors, Conway says, coming from a country where a NFL franchises can be worth $2 billion and a NBA franchise $1.5 billion. “MLS franchises are losing a ton of money in the pandemic and yet still $250 million to $350 million valuation”.

The value of US franchises is protected, of course, by the absence of relegation. But Conway has another warning for prospective US investors, “There’s so many ways in European football to lose money,” he says. “If you are not on the ground you will lose money. That’s not the case in American sports where it’s so corporate and owners or investors don’t have to be at the club every day.”

American sport, where administrators can even force undesirable owners to sell in order to protect the overall value of the league – as was the case with the NBA’s LA Clippers in 2014 - is a different beast. The salutary story of Ellis Short at Sunderland and the dire days of Liverpool under Tom Hicks and George Gillett loom large. But the question is asked on the other side too, as clubs wonder just exactly who controls the money and whose best interests they have at heart.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:39 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:33 am
Hasn't most of Garlick's investment gone to people outside the club with his purchase of shares coming from other shareholders. That would suggest he's made little investment in the club.
This user liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:58 pm

The one thing I like about the above Telegraph article is "At Burnley, the suggestion is that the existing ownership group, primarily chairman Mike Garlick would continue to run the club on behalf of new owners."

At least if that happens we will have some continuity and people running the club who know what football is about in Britain. God help us if we had a Venkys style takeover where the new owners just haven't got a clue.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:59 pm

I think you called no takeover.....

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:35 pm
from the MMT thread but just as appropriate here.
well I guess he has filled a page. I suspect though there are people on here who have more knowledge on the subject (and our position) than he does. He makes good points, but as with everything, pinch of salt at this stage.

Garlick will do what he see's fit for either the interest of the club (which I think he will) or for himself - other opinions are all irrelevant :|

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:02 pm
I think you called no takeover.....
Care to elaborate? I've no idea what you are talking about.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:13 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:04 pm
Care to elaborate? I've no idea what you are talking about.
You won’t pal, it’s called cognitive dissonance.

Gordaleman

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:13 pm
You won’t pal, it’s called cognitive dissonance.
Not sure what hallucinogenics you are using but if you don't explain, how can I respond?

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:54 pm

If its a similar deal to how the Glaziers acquired Manu I hope this falls through and they move onto other targets

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:07 pm

paulatky wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:54 pm
If its a similar deal to how the Glaziers acquired Manu I hope this falls through and they move onto other targets
If its far down the line as being mentioned i think you might be in for a shock

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:13 pm

I really like to think that if there's anything remotely dodgy about this bunch, then MG wouldn't sell to them at any price. However, anyone can give reassurances before doing a deal and once the deal is done they can then do exactly what they like. I'm sure the Whelan family were reassured they were placing their beloved Wigan in good hands (yeah right!) and similarly the Walker Trust. If it's obvious that the new people aren't going to be suitable then decent owners who genuinely love the club wouldn't sell I believe, but it's not always that clear.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:40 pm
Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but what flaw is that?
The man they want/trust wants to sell.