Pathetic effort by the board

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Re: PATHETIC EFFORT BY THE BOARD

Post by RammyClaret61 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:23 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:16 am
People are still making excuses for the board?

Probably casual Burnley fans with little emotional attachment to the club. Any true Burnley fan has felt let down by the club this window.
Please don’t speak for me. I’m 50 years a claret and absolutely applaud the way the board are running the club. Making sure it survives.
These 6 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie lesxdp SussexDon1inIreland FactualFrank Bigvince claret54

Wirvine
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Wirvine » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:51 am

Rarely have I seen so many ill informed muppets congregate in one place.
These 3 users liked this post: jrtod61 SussexDon1inIreland FactualFrank

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:01 am

Wirvine wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:51 am
Rarely have I seen so many ill informed muppets congregate in one place.
You don't come on here very often then?
These 2 users liked this post: Wirvine FactualFrank

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:12 am

Banana wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:56 pm
All you who are complaining need a reality check. How can you call yourselves proper fans yet come on here complaining when we spend £2m in a transfer window. I can only guess you was not at the Leyton Orient game.
If you are fishing then we'll done you've caught one. I'm sick to the back ******* teeth of hearing about the Orient game. It was THIRTY THREE YEARS AGO. It's as relevant now as our title win in 1960. Some fans are like a broken record. Change it because it's seriously boring.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:42 am

You are right it is a long time ago. But those that lived through it realised that success is only temporary. Sooner or later we will slide down the football pyramid. At that point the decisions we make now will reflect in that future.

Equally the thought of watching lower league football is infinitely better than having no club to support.

Bottom line is we don’t know why the board have chosen not to spend... but it is their decision to make. They are not idiots give them some credit.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine SussexDon1inIreland

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:48 am

andyh wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:42 am
You are right it is a long time ago. But those that lived through it realised that success is only temporary. Sooner or later we will slide down the football pyramid. At that point the decisions we make now will reflect in that future.

Equally the thought of watching lower league football is infinitely better than having no club to support.

Bottom line is we don’t know why the board have chosen not to spend... but it is their decision to make. They are not idiots give them some credit.
Obviously if they came out and explained their grand plan it might help. Just a bit of communication.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:59 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:12 pm
The only club in the Premier League owned and run by local business men none of whom are multi millionaires.

Mike Garlick and John Banaszkiewicz are worth about £80m, that makes them both 'multi millionaires'

The role of the Board of Directors is running the Club as a business, not to empty their own pockets because the fans aren't happy.

Our Board of Directors do this very well.
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Burnley Ace

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:14 am

Chairman has to go.

GandalfsBeard
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by GandalfsBeard » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:21 am

Banana wrote:
All you who are complaining need a reality check. How can you call yourselves proper fans yet come on here complaining when we spend £2m in a transfer window. I can only guess you was not at the Leyton Orient game.
If you weren't at a particular football game 33 years ago then you aren't a Burnley fan! End of!

If you are 32 years old and weren't even born, you're **** out of luck. You will never be a real fan, because you weren't at the OrIeNT gAmE

How can you call yourself a 'proper fan ©' if you come on an internet message board to express dissatisfaction with aspects of the club's administration?

How dare you utter the word 'fan' whilst even THINKING negative thoughts toward Lord Garlick?
Last edited by GandalfsBeard on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:22 am

statement coming Wednesday apparently so something on twitter also something about ST refunds..mine are definitely going had enough.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:23 am

I have seen a lot of chairmen come and go in my 50+ years supporting my team, some very bad ,some totally incompetent ,some good and some dithering ones.
They all go in the end,the fans stay and are very much the heart of the club and us fans have been badly let down by our clubs boards failure to support the best manager we've ever had.
There are no excuses for this, but a statement off Mike would go some way to explain his latest cunning plan

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 am

It's a very, very poor effort and has been poor for a number of consecutive windows. This is not something new caused by problems related to coronavirus. Our squad's age has continued to creep up for a number of seasons as we (for the most part) target experienced players. That's all well and good but we need more balance or we'll find ourselves requiring a massive overhaul at some point. I'm fairly sure Dyche has mentioned many times that he prefers gradual change as opposed to wholesale ones (evolution not revolution). We're going to be in a situation soon where, instead of needing just a couple of signings, we may need to sign anywhere between 5-10 new players.

What I would like to understand is why we can't afford players who could improve our squad? I'm not even talking about the starting 11 -- I'm talking the squad. Okay, we signed Dale Stephens (good value but another 30+ player). But many people felt we needed to strengthen at CB following Gibson's departure. Perhaps that's not as necessary now Tarkowski is staying but it's a big risk if he or Mee are injured again going forward. We also needed a winger. How is it that after years of investment in our scouting system, we still can't find a player to come in and challenge two players who are essentially made of glass (Brady and Gudmundsson of course -- for the record I'm a big fan of the latter).

Why can't we loan a winger from a club? I know loans haven't always worked out for us (mostly because they're not given much chance) but surely we can afford the wages of someone if we don't have to pay a massive fee. Alternatively, why can't we find a player from the SPL, League One, or further afield? We must have data on many players who are on wages far lower than we could offer. Burnley are obviously not the biggest or most attractive club in the PL but many players would jump at the chance to play in the PL and take a pay rise. I feel like we're still extremely limited in our approach and that we simply don't have that many targets.

It does look a bit like we're raising the white flag which is a shame. Dyche has done a tremendous job over the years and, while some signings haven't worked out, most of us would probably say that the majority have been a success. He should have been backed. I can only guess that the rumoured takeover means that Garlick isn't prepared to invest further while that's ongoing? Oh well.
These 3 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe Stalbansclaret tiger76

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:37 am

Claretony can you not lock pages like this?
This is just a page of hyperbole over nothing.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:37 am
I think we have to accept that the internet is a place to vent frustration. They'll soon be back in their hole once things have died down after a couple of days.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:43 am

I think that's pretty much it. I can understand that we might well be a bit strapped for cash right now. But I'm finding it really hard to accept that this is the best we could do.

We've essentially got one winger at the club, and he's still a very young player who's beginning to look likes he's suffering due to the amount of pressure on him.

We've got 2 decent centre halves at the club, and we know that Long and Dunne are nowhere near good enough for this level. Maybe Dunne will be one day, but as it stands we have completely inadequate cover in those positions.

We've been in the market for an upgrade at right back for God knows how long now, and we're still stuck with an aging Bardsley and a Lowton who has completely fallen out of favour.

If money is tight, could we not have been more creative in the loan market? Was there no winger available that we could afford, even out of contract? I'm not talking Wifried Zaha, just someone who is better than two permanently injured players?

It's a really poor situation and the bottom line is this squad is in a very bad state. It stands a good chance of being relegated as it is.

Surely we could have done a bit better than this?
This user liked this post: diamondpocket

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:51 am

A very poor window even by our standards.

Plenty of signings for the U23's and Dale Stephens, who really looks off the pace at the moment.

Back to reality though we're only a few games into the season and we've another 30 odd to go. I think that many are getting up at the possibility of Championship football before its happened - forecasting based on the current set of results and our performance in the window. I would say they were right to be concerned.

We have to back the manager and the lads out on the pitch to get us the results we need.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:04 am

People are seriously comparing our club with Bury and Macclesfield, even Wigan.

I’m sick of hearing terms like “keeping the club afloat”.....we’ve £100m plus of playing assets for starters.
I’ve also said before on here, how many clubs of any reasonable size or history have actually gone to the wall? NONE! I understand those clubs that have recently are important to their fans but in reality, in the world of football they are minnows with little or no success throughout time.

This window needed something a bit different, a little bit of imagination or calculated risk, a step away from the norm to fill some gaps, keep the squad fresh and to keep the manager onside.

The ‘prudence’ shown could prove to be the most misplaced prudence in the history of our club but at least we won’t do a Macclesfield eh?

Finally, I’m sick of people saying “you don’t know what Mike Garlick does”.......no and neither does anybody else because he’s not been seen since he bought a round that time in Athens.
These 3 users liked this post: diamondpocket DomBFC1882 ClaretMov

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Probably the most cringe post I have ever read. People are venting their frustrations and you choose to silence them. Really ? The words shallow, control freak, baby come to mind.

As for my opinions I woke up extremely frustrated and ****** off about the lack of a signing however after reading a lot of the comments on this board the sensibility of them have overwhelmed my ill feelings.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 am

Seems to me that the only thing we know that the Board are guilty of is not spending money that they have not got

I guess all you moaners used to shout and scram every birthday and Christmas when your parents could not afford the present you wanted. That wasn’t their fault. It is life

KBRFC. I have been a staunch supporter of the club for 55 years and despite having moved away from the area 40 years ago have been a season ticket holder for the vast majority of those years
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie SussexDon1inIreland

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:47 am

Down_Rover wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 am
Seems to me that the only thing we know that the Board are guilty of is not spending money that they have not got

I guess all you moaners used to shout and scram every birthday and Christmas when your parents could not afford the present you wanted. That wasn’t their fault. It is life

KBRFC. I have been a staunch supporter of the club for 55 years and despite having moved away from the area 40 years ago have been a season ticket holder for the vast majority of those years
I think moat folk accepted that their parents probably bought them the best present they could afford, not sure that’s the case here.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:57 am

Down_Rover wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 am
And allowing us to start the season with 13 fit players
And allowing contracts to wind down to the point we started the post-lockdown period with players refusing to play
And allowing us to get to a point where we have the oldest squad in the league
And allowing us to get to the point where we have 13 players out of contract in the summer
And getting us to the point where one of the best managers we've ever had looks likely to walk when the next decent opportunity becomes available

The frustration of this transfer window is that it lays bare the last few years of poor planning.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:03 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:48 am
Obviously if they came out and explained their grand plan it might help. Just a bit of communication.
Hi S-H-p, given all the contradictory ideas on here, do you really think there is any communication from the club that would be more meaningful than all the communication we already get from Sean Dyche?

UTC

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:05 am

JohnMac wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:59 am
Mike Garlick and John Banaszkiewicz are worth about £80m, that makes them both 'multi millionaires'

The role of the Board of Directors is running the Club as a business, not to empty their own pockets because the fans aren't happy.

Our Board of Directors do this very well.
The reason we haven't done any business is because Garlic was trying to finalise a deal to sell the club. Nothing to do with us not having any money.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:07 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:47 am
I think moat folk accepted that their parents probably bought them the best present they could afford, not sure that’s the case here.
Sounds like you had a privileged upbringing, sir, and not one where there was no money for presents for the kids.

UTC

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:12 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Yes that's it. Shut down discussion that you don't agree with. People are venting their frustrations and rightly so. Get a grip.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:30 am

Rumbletonk wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:05 am
The reason we haven't done any business is because Garlic was trying to finalise a deal to sell the club. Nothing to do with us not having any money.
I know that and you know that, just a pity others don't look further than Sky Sports News.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 am

Good article in Lancashire Live this morning, post close of transfer window.
Fans on both sides of the fence should read it. A fair appraisal of the current situation

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:56 am

No one can surely defend this board.

We keep getting told we don't have any money, b/s, what we can't bring in any player at all even on loan. We the fan's (well most of us) don't expect the club to buy 50/60 million pound player's just the odd one or two at 12/15 will do.

Teams that finished lower than us have strengthened and spent money yet the covid pandemic only seems to stop us (ITV digital all over again) Similar sized clubs with the same TV money and sponsorship deals plus gate revenue seem to be able to spend and they have less money because 99% of those types of clubs have far bigger wage bills.

A couple of 10+ million player's wouldn't make us the next Bury, if we over spent and went down with 20 million in debt
We have assets to sell Taylor, Brownhill Pope, Tarkowski, McNeil Vydra and Wood they could all bring in good money of at least 100+ million even in a fire sale.

This board has been to cautious and on the border line of reckless with the way they have run this club over the past few transfer windows.

In 12 month's time we could possibly of been relegated most definitely lost the best manager we have had for 60 year's, around 13 player's out of contract leaving us with around 8 first team player's and 7 of this current squad will be 30+ next season.

Leaving us with having to bring in a minimum of 14 player's in one transfer window with no money to spend in the championship whilst also at the same time looking for a new manager and his backroom staff that's going to be one hell of a busy summer, yet some on here still back this board.

22 years ago in the 1997/98 season we spent more in that transfer window than this one......let that sink in for a minute
Attachments
Screenshot_20201006-103410_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201006-103410_Chrome.jpg (292.19 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
Last edited by ClaretMov on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Re: Pathetic effort by the board

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:03 am

The finances now needed to operate as a successful PL club, and to be able to operate on a level footing in today's transfer market, has become mind boggling and beyond our limited finances. Outside investment is the only way forward.

As I mentioned on a different thread Said Benrahma has not yet left Brentford over his insistence on a £16m contract and the fees for proven Championship players start at £25m plus add ons if they are to be good enough for our first team.
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am

Just to add that clubs in the Championship no longer sell their prized assets for £10 million. Those days are well behind us.

Abdoulaye Doucoure - Watford to Everton reported fee £20 million
Callum Wilson - Bournemouth to Newcastle reported fee £20 million
Eberechi Eze - QPR to Crystal Palace reported £19.5 million 5 year deal

All 3 players would have demanded wages well beyond our reach.

And we all know the fee that Ollie Watkins went for - £30 million plus significant add ons plus wages.
Last edited by kentonclaret on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sproggy

Post by Sproggy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:19 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:03 am
... and the fees for proven Championship players start at £25m plus add ons if they are to be good enough for our first team.
Brownhill?

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:29 am

Brownhill?

That was in the past we are discussing the current transfer market.

Which quality players would you have added to the Burnley squad that have moved in the current window from the Championship to the PL for under £10 million?

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:31 am

If we were smarter we could have given Ollie Watkins PL football two years ago at a fee less than Wood cost us

If we were smarter we could have got Jarrod Bowen at roughly £15m too 18 months ago. Look at their resale value now

We may not have the funds but there is no reason why we cannot be smarter at scouting in the lower divisions. Sheff UTd last year took the league by storm by sourcing some very good lower league players and loans-Lundstram, Beck, Henderson, O Connel, Basham, McGoldrick etc. All these are players other PL teams would discard. The investment in our recruitment and analytics has to be the biggest waste of money the club has made in recent years. Where are the end results

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:36 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:56 am
No one can surely defend this board.

We keep getting told we don't have any money, b/s, what we can't bring in any player at all even on loan. We the fan's (well most of us) don't expect the club to buy 50/60 million pound player's just the odd one or two at 12/15 will do.

Teams that finished lower than us have strengthened and spent money yet the covid pandemic only seems to stop us (ITV digital all over again) Similar sized clubs with the same TV money and sponsorship deals plus gate revenue seem to be able to spend and they have less money because 99% of those types of clubs have far bigger wage bills.

A couple of 10+ million player's wouldn't make us the next Bury, if we over spent and went down with 20 million in debt
We have assets to sell Taylor, Brownhill Pope, Tarkowski, McNeil Vydra and Wood they could all bring in good money of at least 100+ million even in a fire sale.

This board has been to cautious and on the border line of reckless with the way they have run this club over the past few transfer windows.

In 12 month's time we could possibly of been relegated most definitely lost the best manager we have had for 60 year's, around 13 player's out of contract leaving us with around 8 first team player's and 7 of this current squad will be 30+ next season.

Leaving us with having to bring in a minimum of 14 player's in one transfer window with no money to spend in the championship whilst also at the same time looking for a new manager and his backroom staff that's going to be one hell of a busy summer, yet some on here still back this board.

20 years ago in the 2000/01 season we spent more in that transfer window than this one......let that sink in for a minute
Just to be straight, you're slamming the board because you don't like what happened in summer 2021? :lol:

Especially as what you fear is that all the out of contract players leave, so we only have 12 players left (8 of them under 30), and 4 of those under 30's leave for other reasons so we have 8 left, and 3 of those under thirties suddenly become over 30, leaving us with the 8 players, 7 over 30 that you expect. I think you're looking at an unduly worst-case scenario there.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:42 am

I have no argument with that whatsoever over Ollie Watkins and Jarrod Bowen being signed several seasons back for lower fees. I used to read match reports of Ollie Watkins excelling at Exeter City where he became young EFL player of the year before Brentford snapped him up for £1.5 million.

Ollie Watkins really developed and blossomed during his last season at Brentford where he was moved in to a more central striker role. How he would have developed had he moved to Burnley then, who knows?

I would add that I was one of the posters who never expressed my delight at the wonderful business that had been done at the end of the past few windows - and there were many of those. We were simply happy kicking the can further down the road.

Sproggy

Post by Sproggy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:45 am

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:31 am

We may not have the funds but there is no reason why we cannot be smarter at scouting in the lower divisions.
Fast forwarding to the end of this argument in the interests of time: There are no players anywhere in world football that are within our price range, would improve our first team or want to earn 30k a week playing premier League football.

And if there were, somebody else would have bought them.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:54 am

DCWat wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:18 am
I’d argue that the aim this season is short term prudence, with a gamble on us being able to stay up. Quite a gamble with a paper thin squad and potentially a far bigger impact if we do go down.
Not quite sure that we only have a paper thin squad! From last season we've lost Hart, Lennon and Hendrick, none of whom were world beaters and only Hendrick could be considered as a 1st team starter. With all the stick that those 3 regularly got on here I can't believe that fans think losing them can make so much difference to the squad!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:03 am

warksclaret wrote:
If we were smarter we could have given Ollie Watkins PL football two years ago at a fee less than Wood cost us

If we were smarter we could have got Jarrod Bowen at roughly £15m too 18 months ago. Look at their resale value now

We may not have the funds but there is no reason why we cannot be smarter at scouting in the lower divisions. Sheff UTd last year took the league by storm by sourcing some very good lower league players and loans-Lundstram, Beck, Henderson, O Connel, Basham, McGoldrick etc. All these are players other PL teams would discard. The investment in our recruitment and analytics has to be the biggest waste of money the club has made in recent years. Where are the end results
That's a good point. Bowen had been banging goals in for Hull for about 2 seasons before he went to West Ham. Sure we could have spent 15 million on him and he flopped, but the only way we can hope to compete in the transfer market is by taking a few, small calculated risks here and there on younger players.

Sproggy

Post by Sproggy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:26 am

Leisure wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:54 am
Not quite sure that we only have a paper thin squad! From last season we've lost Hart, Lennon and Hendrick, none of whom were world beaters and only Hendrick could be considered as a 1st team starter. With all the stick that those 3 regularly got on here I can't believe that fans think losing them can make so much difference to the squad!
Well that's 2 of our 3 right sided midfielders. JBG stays fit and you're right - no effect. JBG gets injured and we have to play someone out of position which as we've seen so far isn't very effective as it weakens both the right side, central midfield (if we move Brownhill) and heaps more pressure on DM as our only creative outlet.

You're also forgetting Gibson, which I'm sure we'd all like to do but it does leave Kev Long or Jimmy Dunne as our centre-half backup should Mee or Tarks get injured.

The departures haven't affected the first team to any great extent but they've definitely weakened the squad.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:29 am

JohnMac wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:30 am
I know that and you know that, just a pity others don't look further than Sky Sports News.
It was supposed to go through on Friday. No idea why it didn't or if it's still alive but that is 100% why nothing happened in terms of transfers

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:47 am

Sproggy wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:26 am
Well that's 2 of our 3 right sided midfielders. JBG stays fit and you're right - no effect. JBG gets injured and we have to play someone out of position which as we've seen so far isn't very effective as it weakens both the right side, central midfield (if we move Brownhill) and heaps more pressure on DM as our only creative outlet.

You're also forgetting Gibson, which I'm sure we'd all like to do but it does leave Kev Long or Jimmy Dunne as our centre-half backup should Mee or Tarks get injured.

The departures haven't affected the first team to any great extent but they've definitely weakened the squad.
Yes, it has slightly weakened the squad but it doesn't make it a paper thin squad, as was being stated.

Nipples
Been Liked: 11 times

Post by Nipples » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:49 am

Banana wrote:
I think it’s you who needs a reality check. This isn’t the 80’s anymore. It’s 2020 and we are now a premier league club, and if we want to stay as one we need investment and backing. Take your orient game and cry it in elsewhere.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:18 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 am
Good article in Lancashire Live this morning, post close of transfer window.
Fans on both sides of the fence should read it. A fair appraisal of the current situation
https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/t ... k-19055696
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:27 pm

Yes a decent appraisal

We now need to shop in the EFL - it's no disgrace and we must have a number of rough diamonds on our target list. Let's hope so

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:30 pm

warksclaret wrote:

We have and do scout lower divisions. We have and do sign good young players with resale values.

The problem is fans then wet themselves when we do sell because we haven’t got another player ready waiting, just like most other teams don’t. We’ve also signed players that haven’t worked out from the lower leagues. Fans then criticise buying lower league players and not PL and it’s a waste of money. Burnley fans like a good whinge because their too thick to do owt else.

So for every player we should have signed on your list, I’ll raise you Pope, Heaton, Tarkowski, Keane, Gray, Taylor, Barnes, Wood. We’ve either sold them at profit or still play vital roles in our team.

So don’t start with if we were smarter shite. We’ve been smart in the market, we’ve also been poor. Which happens when signing players. Let’s be honest, all our players have achieved more here than any of those Sheff Utd players have. Bump this in 5 years after they’ve just finished 10th.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Dyched wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:30 pm
We have and do scout lower divisions. We have and do sign good young players with resale values.

The problem is fans then wet themselves when we do sell because we haven’t got another player ready waiting, just like most other teams don’t. We’ve also signed players that haven’t worked out from the lower leagues. Fans then criticise buying lower league players and not PL and it’s a waste of money. Burnley fans like a good whinge because their too thick to do owt else.

So for every player we should have signed on your list, I’ll raise you Pope, Heaton, Tarkowski, Keane, Gray, Taylor, Barnes, Wood. We’ve either sold them at profit or still play vital roles in our team.

So don’t start with if we were smarter shite. We’ve been smart in the market, we’ve also been poor. Which happens when signing players. Let’s be honest, all our players have achieved more here than any of those Sheff Utd players have. Bump this in 5 years after they’ve just finished 10th.
Attachments
20201006_131811.jpg
20201006_131811.jpg (128.37 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
This user liked this post: yosserhughes

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:21 pm

Chris Bodens thoughts, recently published on line , make for intetesting reading

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:42 pm

warksclaret wrote:

Could have, would have, should have. Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing! Maybe we actually did want to sign some of these players but maybe they just didn't want to come.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:43 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:21 pm
Chris Bodens thoughts, recently published on line , make for intetesting reading
[/quote

When it comes to Burnley's shopping in the transfer market, it has usually been more Aldi than Waitrose.

But throughout the international window which closed on Monday night, the strategy was more like the people who admit to going to the shops for a specific item, but come home without it.

Or, even worse, forget to go shopping altogether.

The Clarets still have until 5 p.m. on October 16th to buy or loan from EFL clubs - and the Championship is usually their favourite marketplace - so we will reassess the club's business a week on Friday.

However, as things stand, amid all the clubs being graded all the various media streams on how they performed over the window, you'd struggle to give Burnley one star out of five.

Back in June, when Project Restart got underway, Sean Dyche had to plan for the last nine games of the season - across five weeks - without Jeff Hendrick, Aaron Lennon and Joe Hart, and, to a lesser extent, fourth choice keeper Adam Legzdins.

Injury added to insult, but Dyche and his players somehow managed to end the season with only two defeats in their last 16 outings, while they were the only team to take a point from champions Liverpool at Anfield all campaign.

Dyche cut a frustrated figure throughout, marvelling at his players, but disappointed at how this situation had been allowed to develop, leaving a small squad absolutely threadbare.

Things improved before the new season kicked off, with skipper Ben Mee signing a new contract, while Bailey Peacock-Farrell also extended his deal, while Ashley Westwood has subsequently followed suit.

But there remains a long list of players whose future is up in the air, out of contract in the summer - Jack Cork, Matt Lowton, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Robbie Brady, Phil Bardsley, Kevin Long and Jimmy Dunne, while Jay Rodriguez, Erik Pieters and Matej Vydra are all out, although there is an option for an extra year in the club’s favour with that trio.

In terms of recruitment, backup keeper Will Norris was first through the door in mid-August, bringing the senior goalkeeping unit up to three.

That was that though, until Dale Stephens became the first outfield signing a fortnight ago.

Stephens effectively replaces Hendrick, certainly as regards numbers, but what of the right-sided player to fill the void left by Lennon?

Burnley bid for Liverpool and Wales wide midfielder Harry Wilson, but then pulled out of any deal.

And while there was interest in Theo Walcott, that avenue wasn't ultimately pursued.

Dyche is left to rely on Gudmundsson and Brady, whose injury problems are well documented, or to shuffle Josh Brownhill out of the central area where he has been most effective.

Chairman Mike Garlick's oft-stated aim in transfer windows is to come out of each one stronger.

Indeed, over the summer he said, after the fixtures were announced: "I can assure all supporters that we are working very hard to ensure the club and the team – preparation and personnel-wise – is ready for the new season."

The team certainly wasn't ready, in terms of numbers, exacerbated by injuries certainly, but the lack of business in the transfer market was baffling.

Yes, we have been living in strange times, with the coronavirus pandemic, and a potential takeover adds its own complications.

But to leave Dyche's playing options weaker is bordering on negligence.

Communication has been an issue at the club, with the chairman, technical director Mike Rigg and Dyche all seemingly at odds in terms of transfer strategy.

As I understand it, bids have been made for players which the manager did not want, and while the manager can often be stubborn in terms of the profile of player he covets, you can't argue with what he has then got out of them.

He has made mistakes in the transfer market, money has been wasted, but show me a manager where that isn't the case.

And the value of the players he has developed, sold, and continues to develop at the club, far outweighs any of the flops.

There has been much noise surrounding Dyche, his relationship - or lack of - with the chairman, and his future at the club.

Whatever happens this season - and at this moment it looks an uphill battle for survival - his reputation will likely remain intact.

If Burnley are relegated, the narrative is he hasn't been backed.

Stay up, and he's turned water into wine again.

You do wonder where all this is heading though.

Dyche is contracted until 2022, and it is hard to see him staying beyond that.

When he signed a new four and a half year deal in early 2018, Garlick hailed it as one of the most important signings the club could make, adding: "Sean's got to go down as one of our best managers in history I think. He's been here five years in October, personally I hope he's here for another five years until 2022, and if we can achieve that I'm sure we'll have more success together."

The club have since finished seventh and 10th in the Premier League, and enjoyed an, albeit too brief, European tour, while they are now in a position where they can knock back offers up to £30m for centre back James Tarkowski.

The culture and DNA installed by Dyche is arguably the glue that holds everything together at Burnley.

If Dyche's relationship with Garlick is broken beyond repair, and Burnley's transfer strategy catches up with them, where will all this lead?

It doesn't bear thinking about.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 CleggHall

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:06 pm

karatekid wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:22 pm
Let’s all calm down. The championship was always going to be our target market for any new signings. Did anyone really expect us to buy a current premier league player? We have two weeks to strengthen and no games in that time. Players coming back from injury as well. We will be OK. 👍
And to be honest, the championship is a much more fun division anyway...