Three Tier Lockdown

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Three Tier Lockdown

Post by Grumps » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:35 am

Awayfromburnley wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:07 am
Is that actually the case? I thought the idea was if you were in a tier the rules were all the same?

Please tell me there isn't a 'less severe' tier 3?
Gyms and leisure centres stay open

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am
These measures won't make any difference. Selfish people will continue to do whatever they like. I see it every day.

Still there are folk who actually doubt the virus exists.

:shock:
They won’t make a difference because they’re half measures. It’s not just down to people. But then you look over at Italy and the “proper lockdown” they had, and now they’re recording the highest numbers since this began. I don’t think you can stop this thing.

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 am

We now have FOUR tiers:

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3 minor (Lancashire)
Tier 3 major (Liverpool)

wtf is going on?

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am

Surely regional variances are better than one blanket rule?

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:58 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am
Tricky one to explain to gym owners in Liverpool though isn't it?

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by fidelcastro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am
We've had regional variances before though.

They didn't work then.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Silliest question of the year;

00.01 on Saturday is 12 hours from now isn't it....?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 am
We now have FOUR tiers:

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3 major (Liverpool)

wtf is going on?
Exactly I thought the whole point of the tier system was to simplify the message not complicate it even further. :roll:

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:05 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:02 pm
Silliest question of the year;

00.01 on Saturday is 12 hours from now isn't it....?
It is yeah
Last edited by Bordeauxclaret on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: duncandisorderly

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:06 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 am
We now have FOUR tiers:

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3 major (Liverpool)

wtf is going on?
Dominic Cummings I mean Boris Johnson is in charge.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am
These measures won't make any difference. Selfish people will continue to do whatever they like. I see it every day.

Still there are folk who actually doubt the virus exists.

:shock:
From when lockdown was introduced back in March to when it started to be lifted, most people made an effort. I say most, because there is no doubt there’s been plenty of selfish people.

But now, I feel the percentage of selfish people has remained the same whilst some strict rule keepers from the nationwide lockdown are genuinely confused on what is and isn’t allowed imho.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2176 times

Post by fidelcastro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Dyched wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm
From when lockdown was introduced back in March to when it started to be lifted, most people made an effort. I say most, because there is no doubt there’s been plenty of selfish people.

But now, I feel the percentage of selfish people has remained the same whilst some strict rule keepers from the nationwide lockdown are genuinely confused on what is and isn’t allowed imho.
Sure, but everyone knows by now that you're meant to wear a mask in a shop or on public transport.

Trust me, there are plenty who don't bother, and not only that, they think they're being clever by not doing so!

:x

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:28 pm

RMutt wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:58 am
They need to take that up with their local council leaders. Appears ours have done a better job than theirs.

By the way, if people genuinely think that being allowed to go to the gym in one area and not in another is confusing then God help them. If they know where they live, they should quite easily be able to work out if they can go to the gym.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 pm

RMutt wrote:
Yep. Jesus wept this is farce.
Last edited by Awayfromburnley on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:38 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:28 pm
They need to take that up with their local council leaders. Appears ours have done a better job than theirs.

By the way, if people genuinely think that being allowed to go to the gym in one area and not in another is confusing then God help them. If they know where they live, they should quite easily be able to work out if they can go to the gym.
The absolute principle of the tiers was standardisation......
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

RMutt

Post by RMutt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:01 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:

Do you not feel that these inconsistencies undermine the message somewhat? It might help if there was an explanation as to why Lancashire's gyms are safer than the ones in Liverpool. Your second statement is just deliberately missing the point I feel.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:

It makes these new tiers somewhat pointless though if there are going to be different regulations for the same tier depending on area.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 pm

What needs to happen is intensive local testing, everyone in a high probability category in Tier 3 (needn’t include low risk like primary school kids and the shielding elderly) should be tested once or twice a week (I would say the latter for uni students and pub / hairdresser workers). Isolation in light of a positive test should be the law and punished with a heavy fine (not the slap on the wrist like now). EDIT - hadn’t spotted it has just gone up to £1,000 which is about right.

Option 2 would be to offer voluntary testing once a week, and only those who undertake it can visit premises like pubs.

Then places could stay open, but would be much lower risk. Why oh why do SAGE scientists with brains supposedly the size of Venus not propose some of this stuff? I do despair of them, its like they are stuck in one gear and cannot think outside the box, with regional creativity. I’ve worked a lot with scientists over the decades and most are like this.

It is in essence what some other countries are doing with far more targeted measures.
Last edited by CrosspoolClarets on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:11 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm
It makes these new tiers somewhat pointless though if there are going to be different regulations for the same tier depending on area.
Why does it?

In your area, you are Tier 3 and you are allowed to do the following things. You are not allowed to do these other things.

Honestly some folk must still need their parents to tie their shoe laces and cut up their chicken nuggets.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:15 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 pm
What needs to happen is intensive local testing, everyone in a high probability category in Tier 3 (needn’t include low risk like primary school kids and the shielding elderly) should be tested once or twice a week (I would say the latter for uni students and pub / hairdresser workers). Isolation in light of a positive test should be the law and punished with a heavy fine (not the slap on the wrist like now).

Option 2 would be to offer voluntary testing once a week, and only those who undertake it can visit premises like pubs.

Then places could stay open, but would be much lower risk. Why oh why do SAGE scientists with brains supposedly the size of Venus not propose some of this stuff? I do despair of them, its like they are stuck in one gear and cannot think outside the box, with regional creativity. I’ve worked a lot with scientists over the decades and most are like this.

It is in essence what some other countries are doing with far more targeted measures.
Best suggestion I have seen in 6 months.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:17 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:11 pm
Why does it?

In your area, you are Tier 3 and you are allowed to do the following things. You are not allowed to do these other things.

Honestly some folk must still need their parents to tie their shoe laces and cut up their chicken nuggets.
He understands the tiers. He’s obviously talking about why are different people in different areas allowed to do something or bot when both areas are Tier 3. That’s the issue. Why have tiers if you then are going to change the rules of those? That’s where it’s gonna get silly and people take less and less notice.

RMutt

Post by RMutt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Why does it?

Imagine, in pursuit of road safety, you had set up a national traffic lights system for cars. Red, amber and green. Then you said, but actually the colours will mean slightly different things depending on where in England you are driving. You could then legitimately ask, what is the point of a national system then?

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:21 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
What needs to happen is intensive local testing, everyone in a high probability category in Tier 3 (needn’t include low risk like primary school kids and the shielding elderly) should be tested once or twice a week (I would say the latter for uni students and pub / hairdresser workers). Isolation in light of a positive test should be the law and punished with a heavy fine (not the slap on the wrist like now).

If that the case. How many test are done in Burnley per week currently? (I honestly don’t know). If we only allowed people who’ve tested negative to enter Bars/Pubs etc how are those business going to survive?

If we change testing strategy, how far down the list are those people who wanna get tested so they can go have a pint? Way down the bottom.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:25 pm

RMutt wrote:
My son is a gym owner in Lancashire and I suspect you'd be safer there than in Sainsburys, looking at the measures that he has in place ..... Luckily, his members tend to be sensible sorts ...

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

That would assume a testing system that gave an answer in hours not days. The tests to provide such a quick response are only just emerging. Besides, isn’t this just ‘Operation Moonshot’, so I’m sure Boris has got this all in hand because he said he would.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:29 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

Excellent points CC, and it shouldn't be beyond the wit of our testing regime to carry out extreme local testing in areas with high rates, but this is precisely why testing should be overseen at a local level, and not outsourced to private companies to make a quick buck or two.

It's the very fact that the track, trace & isolate system isn't working as it should be that has led to these various regional lockdowns coming into force again, and the more pertinent :?: which hasn't been answered yet, is how do regions which are placed over tier 3 restrictions actually emerge from those said restrictions, I thought the whole point of these curbs was that they're supposed to be a short term measure to drive the numbers down, and then allow places to gradually return to some form of normality, out of all the various areas placed into local lockdowns, only Luton has so far met the criteria to escape from these rigid measures, this is one of the main reasons why local officials are averse to implementing them, because there doesn't appear to be an obvious exit strategy to later remove them, and now the government support is waning, quite rightly many are worried about their livelihoods.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Why does it?

It’s not that that’s the issue. Why are gyms allowed to open in Burnley with it’s chart topping infection rates but not parts of Merseyside with lower infection rates. If you’re going to take the public with you you have to demonstrate absolute consistency or have a very good explanation for the inconsistencies.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 pm

RMutt wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:20 pm
Imagine, in pursuit of road safety, you had set up a national traffic lights system for cars. Red, amber and green. Then you said, but actually the colours will mean slightly different things depending on where in England you are driving. You could then legitimately ask, what is the point of a national system then?
Slightly different, the road network is a fixed national infrastructure than has been in place for decades. I’m sure the first person to arrive at a red light was confused. I’m sure light systems have also developed over time to what we see today (filters etc etc).

Covid is a moving thing which requires constant monitoring and consideration.

Maybe the decision on gyms in Liverpool will be reversed and the Lancs standard becomes the national one. One less industry to worry about destroying.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Dyched wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:21 pm

If that the case. How many test are done in Burnley per week currently? (I honestly don’t know). If we only allowed people who’ve tested negative to enter Bars/Pubs etc how are those business going to survive?

If we change testing strategy, how far down the list are those people who wanna get tested so they can go have a pint? Way down the bottom.
It was running at around 3,500 a week, not sure now.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm
Why are gyms allowed to open in Burnley with it’s chart topping infection rates but not parts of Merseyside with lower infection rates.
Dirty scousers don’t wash and have always spread disease?

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:36 pm
It was running at around 3,500 a week, not sure now.
Yes, but Crosspools suggestion would in theory put the testing resource where it was most needed.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:45 pm

It's local authorities who decide on gyms not the government.

Liverpool chose to shut gyms ontop of the tier 3 restrictions, Lancashire didn't.

Heard Mark Townsend on BBC Radio Lancashire earlier, his comments were spot on and demonstrate a capable council leader in vast contrast to his Labour colleague running Manchester City Council who is continuing to ignore the calls of ICU doctors in Manchester hospitals to "Shut up and Shut down".

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Dyched wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:17 pm
He understands the tiers. He’s obviously talking about why are different people in different areas allowed to do something or bot when both areas are Tier 3. That’s the issue. Why have tiers if you then are going to change the rules of those? That’s where it’s gonna get silly and people take less and less notice.
It's been apparent from statements by Chris Whitty that tier 3 provides a basis on which more severe restrictions can be added locally. Now I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but it looks to me as if the government are effectively saying to local authorities..."You're in tier 3 so decide what you want to do. If it's unpopoular- it's your fault, if it doesn't work...it's your fault".

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:56 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Why does it?

That's all very well and I assume that you are logical and capable of reading and understanding simple instructions.....as I expect are most people on here. I know at least one person who is very intelligent, thoroughly public spirited and in every way a good person. She is also completely flummoxed by even the simplest deviation from a simple message - watching her using the internet or read a map can be truly painful. I do not think she is unique. In this sort of situation we surely need to cater for everyone and be seen to be fair and straightforward.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:05 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Why does it?

What's the point of having tiers if the application is going to be different in each area? We could have just stuck with the previous local lockdowns. The whole point was to provide clarity.
This user liked this post: Awayfromburnley

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

It's a nice plan but the UK decided not to do this early doors when it opted to maybe go herd immunity, maybe go lockdown but regardless opted not to expand testing when there was a golden opportunity to do so. When they eventually twigged that testing was important Boris gave it to his mate to sort out, with the results as expected. I'm sure "the scientists" would love a system as you've suggested but there needs to be a sense of reality about what the government can deliver.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:45 pm
It's local authorities who decide on gyms not the government.

Liverpool chose to shut gyms ontop of the tier 3 restrictions, Lancashire didn't.
Well that’s news to the authorities in Liverpool who are currently asking why Lancashire’s gyms are being allowed to remain open while theirs aren’t. If they’d made the decision themselves I’m sure they’d already know the answer.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:27 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm
It's a nice plan but the UK decided not to do this early doors when it opted to maybe go herd immunity, maybe go lockdown but regardless opted not to expand testing when there was a golden opportunity to do so. When they eventually twigged that testing was important Boris gave it to his mate to sort out, with the results as expected. I'm sure "the scientists" would love a system as you've suggested but there needs to be a sense of reality about what the government can deliver.
Why did they put Dido Harding in charge of the Track and Trace system when she inspires little confidence?

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 pm
Well that’s news to the authorities in Liverpool who are currently asking why Lancashire’s gyms are being allowed to remain open while theirs aren’t. If they’d made the decision themselves I’m sure they’d already know the answer.
Mmh that is strange, you would thing that shell suits offered greater protection.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm
Mmh that is strange, you would thing that shell suits offered greater protection.
What, than racism, doubt it?

RMutt

Post by RMutt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 pm

martin_p wrote:
I must admit I was a little surprised by that infographic from SingaporeClarets. I can't find any other reference to the local authority aspect of it. I had a scan of the regulations from government and couldn't see it there either. ( although legal documents are quite difficult to read for me to be honest) At the end it also says 'any other businesses' which seems to be a massive catch all.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:44 pm

martin_p wrote:
Either the description given all along about how local authorities and not the government can take extra measures in Tier 3 is a lie

Or the government is offering more money if you take additional measures and Lancashire chose not to close gyms so received less money (this maybe the blackmail mentioned by the leader of Pendle council on Radio Lancashire earlier)

Or mayors and council leaders playing politics

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 pm
What, than racism, doubt it?
?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:25 pm
My son is a gym owner in Lancashire and I suspect you'd be safer there than in Sainsburys, looking at the measures that he has in place ..... Luckily, his members tend to be sensible sorts ...
Have to agree with this. I use a council gym and I'm 100% sure it is safer than a lot of shops and pubs (even those serving "substantial meals"). It's probably safer than walking down a high street where, let's be honest nobody is social distancing anymore.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:46 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 pm
?
Sorry, I thought we were throwing around lazy regional stereotypes.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:48 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:45 pm
Have to agree with this. I use a council gym and I'm 100% sure it is safer than a lot of shops and pubs (even those serving "substantial meals"). It's probably safer than walking down a high street where, let's be honest nobody is social distancing anymore.
They should produce some stats to back up the ban really (if there are any), but on the face of it an enclosed space where people are breathing hard and sweating all over the place doesn’t sound like a good idea.

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:54 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:46 pm
Sorry, I thought we were throwing around lazy regional stereotypes.
yes I was, so your correct 2nd time round, and my apologies to you, if you're, truly, offended by that, and I accept your revised, incorrect, first response.

Just a quip, like the 6 finger jibes, I laugh off and respond to in kind on a daily basis.

Be a dull world, imo, if we all allowed ourselves to be censored away from cheap, but none the less slightly funny stereo typical gags, for fear of being branded as a racist.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pm

Is scouse a race??

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Grumps wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:07 pm
Is scouse a race??
No, its a stew.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:48 pm
They should produce some stats to back up the ban really (if there are any), but on the face of it an enclosed space where people are breathing hard and sweating all over the place doesn’t sound like a good idea.
I agree and maybe the gym I go to isn't the best example. The capacity is limited to 25 and there hasn't been more than 7/8 people in at times I have been so it's been very ealsly keep away from other people.