Venkys

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Venkys

Post by Local cricketer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:31 am

Happy 10 year anniversary to Madame Desai and family. Great long read in the athletic today for a few laughs.

Sure someone more technical than me can link it in

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4160 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Venkys

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:34 am

Funny to see the trust also urging fans to welcome the Venkys back to games as well.

Glen Mullen & Wayne Wild will be paying for season tickets next

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:16 am

Dammit, I've just cancelled my subscription to The Athletic as well. If someone can copy the article into here I'd appreciate it, any chronicle of the Venky tenure down the road is always good for a laugh.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 am

Article in today Times re the 10 year anniversary: Two relegations, seven managers but a flicker of hope.

I'll post later, when I've got time.

It's worth thinking about in terms of situation with the Clarets prospective new investors.

UTC

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:09 am

You really have to wonder what Venkys have been doing all these years with Blackburn Rovers. They've spent and are spending a lot of their own money on a club that they have no long-standing connection with. As of now, I think they are spending millions of pounds each season to keep them with an outside chance of the playoffs each time round.

I don't know how much of their own money they have given the club, but it must be a good deal with very little in return. Why would they do that? I can only presume that they are hoping that the money they put in each season might one time be enough to get them up into the Premier League, at which point they could sell up and get some of their money back. Whereas if they were to sell out now, virtually everything they've put in to date would be lost.

The problem is that they aren't putting enough in to make promotion that likely, and as a result in all likelihood it's throwing good money after bad. In one way they have been very good owners, because of the financial support they have provided over the years. The downside has been their sheer, utter incompetence in the early years over how to run a football club. If it were me, I would walk away now, draw a line under it, and put the losses down to experience. Perhaps invest in an IPL cricket team instead. Something closer to home.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:20 am

Don't really know why they're doing it, but according to an article in the Lancs Telegraph marking the 10 year anniversary, they're in it for the long haul, apparently.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:32 am

This is worth a listen from the MMT thread last week
Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:45 pm
Episode 1 of the Football Uncovered Podcast looks at "Blackburn Rovers - The incredible story of the Venky's turbulent ownership"

and yes they have been in charge for 10 years

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/b ... 0498315250

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 am

SammyBoy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:16 am
Dammit, I've just cancelled my subscription to The Athletic as well. If someone can copy the article into here I'd appreciate it, any chronicle of the Venky tenure down the road is always good for a laugh.
Burnley Aces on Facebook have posted it, if you’re on there? It’s a long article.

https://www.facebook.com/11262029048970 ... 80204/?d=n

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am

My skin is still crawling 10 years on... imagine being a fan... OR A PLAYER! :? :? :?
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:45 am

Given where we find ourself today we should be careful what we laugh at.

Infighting.
Our best manager in decades if not ever not happy.
Our best board ever not happy.
Potential takeover with questionable lawyers involved and unknown egyptian money.

To be fair, Venkys are probably the only reason Rovers arent now where Bolton are!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:46 am

That said the chicken video was great. What were the players thinking!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:50 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:46 am
That said the chicken video was great. What were the players thinking!
Perhaps the paycheck helped 🤔

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 am

Claretforever wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 am
Burnley Aces on Facebook have posted it, if you’re on there? It’s a long article.

https://www.facebook.com/11262029048970 ... 80204/?d=n
Nice one :D

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:55 am

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:45 am
Given where we find ourself today we should be careful what we laugh at.

Infighting.
Our best manager in decades if not ever not happy.
Our best board ever not happy.
Potential takeover with questionable lawyers involved and unknown egyptian money.

To be fair, Venkys are probably the only reason Rovers arent now where Bolton are!
it all felt so familiar when reading that Athletic article

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Extremely well written and balanced article ....

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 am
Article in today Times re the 10 year anniversary: Two relegations, seven managers but a flicker of hope.

I'll post later, when I've got time.

It's worth thinking about in terms of situation with the Clarets prospective new investors.

UTC
Two relegations, seven managers but a flicker of hope: ten years of Venky’s at Blackburn Rovers
Gregor Robertson finds renewed hope at Ewood Park after a crazy decade and one bizarre chicken protest

Wednesday November 18 2020, 5.00pm, The Times

This week marks ten years since Venkateshwara Hatcheries, known as Venky’s, the £2 billion Indian poultry-processing conglomerate, took ownership of Blackburn Rovers in what has become one of English football’s most painful and perplexing tales. Two relegations, one promotion, seven permanent managers, debts approaching £150 million, and a fractured relationship with fans followed — and yet, at no point have Venky’s shown the slightest inclination to sell up or cut their losses. The Rao family’s continued support, almost eight years since their last visit to Ewood Park, is an enduring mystery. But, as shafts of light break through the storm, it is worth asking: could this ever be a tale of redemption?

Summing up the past decade is no mean feat but Ian Herbert, a fan of 50 years, makes a pretty good fist of it. “It’s like they’ve taken over a stately home,” he says of Venky’s, “sacked all the staff that maintained it, burnt it down to the ground, then looked at the smoking ruins, and thought: ‘That was a bit foolish, maybe we better rebuild this.’ Slowly but surely they’ve started to rebuild. But those of us with long memories still say: ‘You’re the idiots who burnt it down in the first place.’”

The tumult began almost from the moment Venky’s completed the purchase from the Jack Walker Trust for £23 million. A once judiciously-run club and former Premier League winner — thanks to the patronage of Walker, a successful local businessman of a bygone era — swiftly became a “basket case”, as Richard Scudamore, the former Premier League chief executive, memorably labelled Rovers.

With no prior interest in sport, save for sponsorship of cricket and tennis competitions in Pune, India, both naivety and incompetence were at play. Jerome Anderson, a football agent, and Kentaro, a Swiss-based marketing and sports rights agency, had been enlisted by the Jack Walker Trust to find a buyer, then subsequently contracted to run Blackburn on Venky’s behalf. Within six months Rovers were under investigation by the FA and Venky’s called in an independent auditor.

By then, Sam Allardyce had already been sacked as manager and replaced by his assistant, Steve Kean — a client of Anderson with no managerial experience. Venky’s, meanwhile, famously tried to lure Ronaldinho, Raúl and David Beckham to the former Lancashire mill town, with designs of boosting their global image, as well-respected directors like John Williams were sidelined and ultimately driven away.

The sight of a live chicken wrapped in Blackburn’s colours released on to the pitch by fans during the 1-0 defeat by Wigan Athletic, which confirmed relegation to the Championship in 2012, was a defining image of those early years. A protest movement grew, supporters lobbied parliament, the FA, Premier League and later the EFL seeking answers, dialogue — but their efforts yielded little in the way of progress and created deep fissures among the fanbase.

The greatest sadness throughout the whole farrago, however, is the thousands of supporters who were driven away and may never return. More than 10,000 have been wiped off the gates at Ewood Park, which had averaged 25,000. Fans like Neil Thornton, a supporter since 1970 and a founding member of the supporters’ trust in 2012, say they will never return while Venky’s remain. With dialogue impossible, Thornton, 55, says: “It was clear to me that my club had been stolen from me. What was happening on the pitch was no longer the Blackburn Rovers I supported. It was the only thing I could do: withdraw my support. Thousands did the same.”

January 2013 — when Jitendra Desai, the husband of the Venky’s chairwoman, Anuradha Desai, was struck in the face by a snowball — was the last time the family made an appearance together at Ewood. Trust was broken but chaos ensued as the likes of the Malaysian TV pundit Shebby Singh, hired as “Global Advisor”, and others with little football experience, ran the club in their absence.

Five different managers took the reins during 2012-13, when the vitriol aimed towards Kean became too much. After Eric Black’s caretaker spell, Henning Berg lasted 57 days then pursuing the club through the High Court for £2.25 million in wages. Michael Appleton lasted 67 days and was sacked by letter, signed by Singh, whom the now-Lincoln City manager admits he had never even met.

Gary Bowyer brought some much-needed stability. Paul Lambert and Owen Coyle lasted only six and eight months respectively. When Tony Mowbray arrived in February 2017, despite an upturn in form, he could not avert relegation to League One. One fan, Duncan Miller, ran as an independent “Venky’s out” candidate for Blackburn in the 2017 general election and gained more votes than the Liberal Democrats.

Yet Rovers’ first season in the third tier for 37 years was restorative. Mowbray visited Pune in the summer of 2017, returned with a new contract, the money to buy Bradley Dack and then, most notably, led the club back to the Championship. “It was cathartic,” Herbert says. “It united the fans. We were visiting grounds we hadn’t visited in donkey’s years. It was an authentic football supporting experience again. And winning games, of course, makes a massive difference.”

Mowbray’s tact and honesty have been pivotal. When asked, he describes the Rao family as “honest” and “humble” which, coming from the highly-respected 56-year-old, perhaps soothes old wounds a little further. “We’re in a position now where there is a degree of stability,” says Scott Sumner, editor of 4,000 Holes, a fanzine running since 1989. “There’s a belief that a play-off challenge is a reasonable ambition. It’s almost at a point where the owners aren’t really thought about. It feels as though they’re letting the people at the club get on with running it.”

So, against that backdrop — a flicker of hope in Mowbray’s free-scoring team, Venky’s continued financial support, even more so after the economic impact of Covid-19, and the recent plight of northwest neighbours Wigan Athletic, Bury and Bolton Wanderers — attitudes have undoubtedly shifted.

Herbert, host of the BRFCS podcast, poses a “thought experiment”: “If you said that new owners came in after we’d been relegated [to League One], and you judged the record of Venky’s from that season forward, I would suggest that they’d been, if not model owners, pretty close,” he explains.

“They could point at their record since then and say: ‘We’ve won promotion first time; we’ve stabilised the management of the club, on and off the field; we’ve continued to invest in the academy, kept it at Category One, the fruits of which are now making their way into the first team; we’ve spent money on Ben Brereton, Adam Armstrong, Sam Gallagher, exciting young prospects whose value should accumulate . . . We’ve done a decent job, haven’t we?’ If it was a different owner, I think you’d have to agree with that.”

But, without communication, or contrition, forgetting the past is too much to expect. If Rovers were to return to the top flight, though, could Venky’s ever be welcomed back to Ewood? “That’s the big question,” Sumner, 36, says. “It seems like they’re in it for the long haul. I suspect that they appreciate they made mistakes in the early days, that there will always be some lingering hostility from some of the fanbase. It would have to be a case of small measures, building bridges.

“But that still feels a long way off yet.”

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:54 pm

It seems that it may well be the case that Venkys are, as they see it, 'just trying to do the right thing'. It's like they feel honour-bound not to abandon Blackburn Rovers, having taken the club under their wing, so to speak. I have been to India many times and know a lot of Indian people, and I can to some extent recognise such sentiments as existing within the culture of India, though less so today than in the past.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:11 pm

. A once judiciously-run club and former Premier League winner — thanks to the patronage of Walker, a successful local businessman of a bygone era — swiftly became a “basket case

Of course they were well ran :lol: :lol:

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Erasmus wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:09 am
You really have to wonder what Venkys have been doing all these years with Blackburn Rovers. They've spent and are spending a lot of their own money on a club that they have no long-standing connection with. As of now, I think they are spending millions of pounds each season to keep them with an outside chance of the playoffs each time round.

I don't know how much of their own money they have given the club, but it must be a good deal with very little in return. Why would they do that? I can only presume that they are hoping that the money they put in each season might one time be enough to get them up into the Premier League, at which point they could sell up and get some of their money back. Whereas if they were to sell out now, virtually everything they've put in to date would be lost.

The problem is that they aren't putting enough in to make promotion that likely, and as a result in all likelihood it's throwing good money after bad. In one way they have been very good owners, because of the financial support they have provided over the years. The downside has been their sheer, utter incompetence in the early years over how to run a football club. If it were me, I would walk away now, draw a line under it, and put the losses down to experience. Perhaps invest in an IPL cricket team instead. Something closer to home.
"Why would they do that?" - I can offer 1 explanation it's illegal though without suggesting that's the case.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 pm

Erasmus wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:09 am
If it were me, I would walk away now, draw a line under it, and put the losses down to experience. Perhaps invest in an IPL cricket team instead. Something closer to home.
if it was me I would double down and buy BFC, use all the lessons learned in how not to run a club plus use BRFC as a feeder club but perhaps loan a few aging BFC players to get BRFC back to the promised land. :twisted:

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:19 pm

They are extremely wealthy, the money they spend keeping the club going is like you or I chucking a tenner a year in a charity box.

A former colleague of mine did some work for the family, and travelled to their home in India. The “garage” was an enormous aircraft hangar that held around 100 high-end cars.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:58 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:19 pm
They are extremely wealthy, the money they spend keeping the club going is like you or I chucking a tenner a year in a charity box.

A former colleague of mine did some work for the family, and travelled to their home in India. The “garage” was an enormous aircraft hangar that held around 100 high-end cars.
If you average the "high end" car value at £200k per motor, the garage holds £20m of vehicles. Ownership of The Bastards has cost them the equivalent of almost 9 of these garages (£29m purchase plus the £146m of debt the club carries) and is costing them another garage every single year just to keep the club from going under. I get that they are wealthy, but that level of financial drain on a business with no return on the investment and no hope of recouping past outlay surely cannot continue indefinitely.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:23 pm

They've pumped in £15,353,988 since January 2020, just to keep the Club going ....

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:36 pm

I think a lot of Rovers fans have realised they are now in a situation where Venkys are keeping them afloat. The bit I don't get is by Venkys still pumping in money every season and the club's debt growing every year, how can Blackburn think Venkys are turning it around? It's a double edged sword. No one will ever buy rovers with the debt the club have and eventually it will get to a level no one can sustain and it's goodbye.
They'd be better cutting there cloth accordingly, they might have to drop down a division or two in the process but at least they would have a future.

Some things are worse than an Orient game, imagine realistically knowing the owners who screwed you massively are now your only saving grace, for just surving, as they shafted you that bad. Forever.
Outside of Venkys pocket no one's taking them on.

It's like a version of Stockholm syndrome the rovers fans have got.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:26 pm

Rovers fans should be used to having their club reliant on an owners money.
First Walker.
Then the Trust.
Now the Venky's.

Most of them won't know any other way.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:03 pm

Imagine if the Venky's had just come in and said to the existing Board and Big Sam, " Just crack on ", and we'll fund you an extra £30m now, and £15m a year for the next ten years .....

They'd probably wouldn't have been relegated and would have been regarded as " model owners ", a template for others to follow, and they'd have saved money ...
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:33 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:26 pm
Rovers fans should be used to having their club reliant on an owners money.
First Walker.
Then the Trust.
Now the Venky's.

Most of them won't know any other way.
It started over a hundred years earlier with Blackburn Olympic, rovers quickly followed - that town knows no other way

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2917 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:35 pm

' A once judiciously run club' ?

They've only ever been skint, phone cut off pre Jack Walker, or living beyond their means, bankrolled by benefactors.
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 randomclaret2 bfcjg

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:29 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:58 pm
If you average the "high end" car value at £200k per motor, the garage holds £20m of vehicles. Ownership of The Bastards has cost them the equivalent of almost 9 of these garages (£29m purchase plus the £146m of debt the club carries) and is costing them another garage every single year just to keep the club from going under. I get that they are wealthy, but that level of financial drain on a business with no return on the investment and no hope of recouping past outlay surely cannot continue indefinitely.

When I say “high-end” I should probably have said “classic”. From memory the cars he mentioned were worth millions and millions each.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Looks like profits might be down as their main customer is away for a while.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... gton-farm/

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Any one reccomend a good chicken shop in accy?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:06 pm

I hate to say this but the best explanation I can think of as to why the Venky's keep on pumping in the money in is that they're doing the honourable thing.

It's great that they breezed in and royally mucked it all up when they first arrived on the scene but their continued perseverance and subsequent apparent good character is worrying.

It seemed, during the giggle-filled years of Shebby Singh, Jerome Anderson, and Agents Berg and Kean, that they were malevolently bad but the longer they carry on the more it looks like they were simply world-class naive.

Hopefully they either lose interest in their project, their wealth or both. They're the only thing between Rovers and the liquidators.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:53 pm

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:48 pm

I've just had that sent to me in a WhatsApp group...

Are you also in it?

Starts with Bible..

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5001 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 pm

The Venkys are Hindus and they revere the cow as a sacred symbol, if the Shadsworth massive turn their sexual deviance from equine to bovine the Rao family will dump them as fast as a hen fleeing a randy cockerel with a deformed knob and a dose.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:20 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:58 pm
Interesting when you put it like that. For all we think that Venkys have wasted millions on Blackburn, the net cost appears to be about the same as Burnley is mooted to be for sale for. This time next year we might both be in the same division...

It also shows what an unbelievable investment football has been over the last ten years.10 years ago they were in a similar position to us with a bigger ground and higher average gate, yet we’re valued at 9-10x as much!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:27 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:53 pm
I've just had that sent to me in a WhatsApp group...

Are you also in it?

Starts with Bible..
I’m not no. That’s tame by WhatsApp groups. I leave as soon as I get added half the time.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:48 pm

His middle name must be C Lucky.....ive heard a whisper hes got a job in the Kitchen at Strangeways...
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets