Corona for Christmas

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcmatt
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Corona for Christmas

Post by bfcmatt » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Just got a positive test back and honestly feel like garbage, pounding head, hot and cold, feel sick, aching all over, no taste, no smell and the list goes on. Any way any body else on here who has had it and what did you do to lessen the effects?
Have a good one everybody and take care.
This user liked this post: TsarBomba

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Re: Corona for Christmas

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:30 pm

try Bene n Hot
This user liked this post: bfcmatt

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Did nowt, just rode it out. Didn’t want to mask any recovery with painkillers so just went with it.

Just over a week of the symptoms you describe, plus fatigue like I’ve never known. Falling asleep like a narcoleptic.

Suppose I got away lightly all things considered.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmatt JohnMac

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Had a Lemsip, went to bed early, felt better after a couple of days. Reluctantly, I must say it was like a bad cold / very mild flu.

You’ll be right for Boxing Day.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:35 pm

bfcmatt
sorry to hear this, hope you are feeling much better soon.What a crap virus this is.

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by durhamclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Get well soon Matt, when we beat Leeds that will make you feel much better.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:41 pm

Painkillers for the head ache. I did not have chance to rest but felt like sleeping for days.

Lasted about 8 days, lucky to say it was mild but would not want it again.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:42 pm

I tested positive on 19th December. Slept more than I've ever slept in my life. Had aches and pains, no sense of taste or smell and weirdly had sore eyeballs when I moved them. Still not 100% but a lot better than I was and would not wish this on anyone. If I was vulnerable or had commodities it would have wiped me out.

Get well soon mate.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:45 pm

My brother was very poorly, and has been suffering from Long COVID for about three months now. It is not a one size fits all virus. Go at you own pace Matt and all the best in your recovery.

I’d give Bene a go... the monks used to dish it out for colds and consumption (tb), who knows it may be the miracle cure, but at least it will help your spirit. All the best

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Here is a current League Table https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U18 with us above Blackburn Rovers.

Look at it twice a day and hopefully you will soon start to feel better. Hope this works for you. Please get well soon.
These 3 users liked this post: bfcmatt lesxdp HandforthClaret

bfcmatt

Post by bfcmatt » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:46 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:45 pm
Here is a current League Table https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U18 with us above Blackburn Rovers.

Look at it twice a day and hopefully you will soon start to feel better. Hope this works for you. Please get well soon.
Thank you Doctor, the perfect medicine.
This user liked this post: ClaretLoup

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:52 pm

I had it for 3 weeks at the end of November. Very mild for the first 5 days, then it was exhausting. Didn't want to do anything for weeks, not even watch the TV.

I just took painkillers to reduce the temperature and had plenty of rest. The cough lasted ages too.

Just stick in there, you'll get through it. If you get any of the warning signs or are just unsure about how you are feeling, ring 111 and get some advice or a referral to the hospital.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Someone in my nephew's class at school tested positive, so they have to self-isolate for 10 days until the 29th.

So that's me on my own on the 25th, doing Christmas Day on the 29th instead.

I assume the OP will need to self-isolate over the Christmas period too?

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Matt and others. I really hope you can get rid of this absolutely horrible virus and get back to normal as soon as possible. It's important that we all do the right thing over Christmas and stay safe.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mine peaked after 5 days, and only really had 2 days really bad with it.
Rest of the time it was livable with, no taste, no smell, lethargic, hot then cold, and headaches.
Other time I was layed up in bed couldn't move, tight chest, and feeling like I could breath in enough fresh air.
Sounds crazy but it was like I was in a really humid country with no air )

I'm "young" and it wasnt pleasant , could certainly see why and how it would really cause issue for the elderly or anyone with other current illnesses.

Yet its crazy to think some people genuinely believe its "made up" or just "a cold" and constantly have a gripe with the restrictions put in place to basically keep the vulnerable alive...
Last edited by MACCA on Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 4 users liked this post: bfcmatt JohnMac tiger76 bobinho

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:01 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:52 pm
Someone in my nephew's class at school tested positive, so they have to self-isolate for 10 days until the 29th.

Someone in my sons class did the same, so we’re also self-isolating until 29th. We had cancelled plans anyway so no major impact, but sorry to hear your plans have been disrupted.

Since heard it’s actually more of an outbreak with many more in his class contracting it, so staying home just in case he’s asymptomatic! Not the best way to spend Christmas but just have to think of the others who are suffering like Matt.

Get well soon Matt.

bfcmatt

Post by bfcmatt » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:02 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:52 pm

That is correct i will be isolating.

bfcmatt

Post by bfcmatt » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:05 pm

Some lovely messages and advice, have a lovely Christmas everybody and take care.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan chekhov Steddyman

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:06 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Rest of the time it was livable with, no taste, lethargic, hot then cold and headaches.
Other time I was layed up in bed couldn't move, tight chest, and feeling like I could breath in enough fresh air.

I'm "young" and it wasnt pleasant , could certainly see why and how it would really cause issue for the elderly or anyone with other current illnesses.

Yet its crazy to think some people genuinely believe its "made up" or just "a cold" and constantly have a gripe with the restrictions put in place to basically keep the vulnerable alive...
I still don't know if I had it, as around the turn of the year, I had cold symptoms, with loss of taste and smell, which I've never had before. It's normally a sore throat and blocked nose. I remember going out for a curry and I told them their lager was off. The food didn't taste right, and they changed the barrel but it made no difference.

But also, I would be lying in bed and I kept having to take a deep breath now and again, as shallow breathing made me feel like my lungs weren't getting enough oxygen. Thankfully after a few days, my breathing was back to how it was and taste gradually came back. It could have been a cold I guess, but I just took it easy for a few days.

Keep us all updated Matt and hopefully you'll be fine in a few days.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:09 pm

I am also isolating until the 29th, where I will then.. do absolutely nothing because what is there to do?

A womp up Pendle in the freezing cold does sound tempting though.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:10 pm

All the best Matt lets hope you get better soon
👍🙂👍

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:12 pm

bfcmatt wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:28 pm
Just got a positive test back and honestly feel like garbage, pounding head, hot and cold, feel sick, aching all over, no taste, no smell and the list goes on. Any way any body else on here who has had it and what did you do to lessen the effects?
I'm 65 with underlying conditions, tested positive in October and prior to and after was using Beecham Powders. I'm not supposed to because of my COPD but always found them to give me slightly better relief. I had a course of Prednisilone in my drawer and took those as well. Took me about 10 days to shake it off.

Anything to avoid going into Hospital.

Post symptoms, I am still breathless, no smell and have muscle fatigue but still here!

Hope you get through it quickly, try to stay mentally positive!
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmatt bobinho

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:12 pm

I know two people who have had it, both at the lower end of the scale. Took the relevant advice regarding rest,pain killers,keeping hydrated and good diet ie fruit and veg for nourishment and vitamins and got through ok. Two bad days on both accounts then eased up.
Take care Matt.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:14 pm

Sorry to hear this Matt.
Hope your feeling better soon.
I am lucky I don’t really know anyone close who has had it.
I would say plenty of rest and a few Bene n hot.
Don’t try to be brave if you think your breathing is affected called to emergency services.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:18 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Rest of the time it was livable with, no taste, no smell, lethargic, hot then cold, and headaches.
Sounds crazy but it was like I was in a really humid country with no air )

Because It’s a complete lottery how it affects people, I was talking to somebody the other day who works in a care home & he said about half the people in the care home tested positive & I’ve had no more than a sniffle & we are talking about people in there 80s, yet we hear about some young people suffering & dying from it, the virus is completely unpredictable & it’s a complete lottery to how you react to it, hence people rightly or wrongly thinking it’s no big deal, I’m not judging people everybody thinks & feels differently about it.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Hope you feel better soon. Have you any idea where you think you might have picked it up ? Have you been staying away from people or unable to with work etc ?

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:06 pm
I would be lying in bed and I kept having to take a deep breath now and again, as shallow breathing made me feel like my lungs weren't getting enough oxygen.
This is what is still freaking me out at night, I wake up frequently thinking I am 'forgetting' to breath in and out, it's a truly awful sensation.

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Get well soon, everyone currently affected.

bfcmatt

Post by bfcmatt » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:18 pm
Hope you feel better soon. Have you any idea where you think you might have picked it up ? Have you been staying away from people or unable to with work etc ?
I work in a school so it's most likely i got it from there.

Boban
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Boban » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:27 pm

Just getting to the end of mine hopefully, all the above symptoms and a real lack of appetite. As someone said very tiring, 12hrs sleep has been the norm this last week instead of the usual 7hrs.
Still feel quite blessed though as some one I know is on a virtual COVID ward. At that point I realised I was one of the lucky ones.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:34 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:20 pm
This is what is still freaking me out at night, I wake up frequently thinking I am 'forgetting' to breath in and out, it's a truly awful sensation.
JohnMac - get onto your respiratory team and request a CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) machine. It’s helps me breathe at night (I suffer from sleep apnoea) it will help a lot if you can get one.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac bobinho

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:42 pm

bfcmatt wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:28 pm
I feel your pain mate.

I’ve just been for a test today and I’m feeling exactly like you are. One minute I’m freezing cold and the next I’m pouring with sweat. I’m aching all over and have lost all sense of taste.

Bar paracetamol, I’m just going to try and sleep as much as possible. Once the kids go to bed at 7pm I’ll be going to bed too.

Hope you feel better soon along with anyone else feeling under the weather.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone bfcmatt

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:50 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:20 pm
Hi JohnMac, i have sleep apnoea & I was doing a similar thing up to a couple of years ago, waking up half a dozen times a night gasping for breath, coughing, sometimes vomiting. I read an article in a newspaper about increasing the number of pillows you sleep on, between 4 & 6 depending on the firmness. The theory is it opens up your airwaves, preventing any compression of your windpipe. It takes a bit of getting used to but worked for me & also for a friend in a similar situation & it's something you can try without breaking the bank. When I have a chesty cold I sleep upright, that helps me get a better night's sleep, although you can cough some crap up in the morning lol!
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:56 pm

The mrs was tested positive last week. We have been in isolation but it ends tomorrow thankfully. She had bunged up sinuses, snotty, bit of a cough and she has lost her smell and taste. All the symptoms of a heavy cold and she is now a lot better..still no taste. She has type 1 diabetes so is classed as at risk but like i say just the symptoms of a cold. No temp, no fatigue. I've been fine. I had a sore throat and an ever so slight tighter chest for a day just after she was diagnosed but im fine now. If it really was Covid (and i'm not convinced) then we have been lucky i think.

Leyland Claret
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Leyland Claret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Day 9 of isolation for me. It all started for me strangely blowing off in bed and the Mrs said ‘that stinks!’ to which I replied ‘I can’t smell anything?’
I then realised I had a symptom, took a test, and got a positive result. Must admit I didn’t think at anytime before that I had Rona even though I’d had a headache and phlegm on my chest a few days before the loss of smell but nothing to even point me towards Covid. Felt pretty well throughout apart from the loss of smell and having a weird taste in my mouth which made me feel a little nauseous.
The hardest thing about the whole episode for me was I was booked to go to the Canaries last Saturday for Christmas so obviously missed out on that but in the grand scheme of things I’ve probably been quite lucky with my illness.
Get well soon to anyone who has unfortunately caught this virus.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmatt bodge

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 pm

I just can’t imagine how it is possible to genuinely self isolate for 10 days.

Does the NHS help arrange supplies of food and toiletries when self isolating? Or do they just leave you to struggle through yourself?

JohnMac

Post by JohnMac » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Does the NHS help arrange supplies of food and toiletries when self isolating? Or do they just leave you to struggle through yourself?
Help is available for anyone who has to quarantine.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:41 pm

It’s becoming heavily documented that more & more people are convinced that they’ve got coronavirus even without any tests, the very notion itself can bring anxiety & there’s a close association between anxiety & respiratory difficulties, the anxiety can cause dyspnea & add a common cold on top it’s all too easy to convince yourself you have something when there’s nothing there, apart from intense anxiety & a bout of the common cold, it’s always wise though to be 100% sure for the isolation aspect. It can lead the negative test recipients to be baffled & more alarmingly more convinced something more sinister is at play than the virus.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:20 pm

I went for a test last Friday as I’d been feeling a bit off earlier in the week and the gradual loss of my sense of smell.

Positive test result arrived Sunday morning via email.

My only symptoms are the loss of smell and a low lying headache. Today (Wednesday) I could smell the mince pie I was eating, never have I been so excited :mrgreen:

Have to self isolate until the 28th (App) or the 26th (Test and Trace) :?: :?:

I’ve been running at least 5 times a week since March and I’m a bit miffed that I’ll miss this week :twisted:
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:25 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 pm

There is quite a bit of support available. Track n trace ask if you need help, also Yorkshire Street doctors contacted us to see if we needed help and offered to signpost. Supermarket delivery for food.

Ran out of milk, needed some for the toddler, spoke to a neighbour across the road through the window and he left some at the front door....that reminds me I haven't paid him for that 😁

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:34 pm
JohnMac - get onto your respiratory team and request a CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) machine. It’s helps me breathe at night (I suffer from sleep apnoea) it will help a lot if you can get one.
My mate suffers with that and has the same machine and it helps him no end. Well worth an ask JohnMac... All them years of screaming at the likes of me on the parade square must be catching up...

Seriously, good luck to all of you who are currently suffering.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:46 pm

bfcmatt wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:25 pm
This makes me mad. My wife works in a school too and she brought it home. A third of the staff are off with it now.

Yet, the government refuse to close schools and say it isn't a main cause of the spread. Most people on this thread with it or isolating seem to have some link back to schools.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Anyone that needs help should contact Burnley Together - https://burnleytogether.org.uk/

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:48 pm

I have literally spent the last 9 months at work stood right next to covid patients. In lifts with them, in tiny side rooms with them. Half of my team has had covid. I’ve not even had a cough.
I am currently testing myself with the lateral flow test kits and none have been positive.

I’m thinking of donating myself to science
These 5 users liked this post: Zlatan Burnley1989 bfcmatt dermotdermot beddie

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:00 pm

One of my family members had Covid recently, then was given the all clear after 3 weeks, one week later tested positive again and is now back on a Covid ward with no symptoms.

Luckily my family are made up of NHS so all had the jab, I’ve not but will when it’s my turn at some point next year. Fingers crossed I don’t get it, other than my daughter going to school I don’t mix with anyone really and work from home 95% of the time so should be ok. Really feel for those struggling and I’m constantly getting reminded of how real it is when I talk to my family on the front line watching people battle it.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:19 pm

bfcmatt wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:25 pm
When you're up and running Matt and back to work will you be getting tested weekly. I wasn't sure whether you were a Teacher or not, it's just that I'd heard from next term some schools are to implement weekly testing on Teacgers. Anyway let's get you through this first. Good luck.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:52 pm

My Mrs had all the symptoms in March and was bed ridden for 7 days yet the antibody test was negative. In October she just had a pounding headache, got tested again as she works for the NHS and it was positive . Luckily my tests both came bag negative so I've either given it her, or I didn't show any symptoms.. As posted above it really does hit people so differently it's scary..

Scott Arfield's Swag
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Scott Arfield's Swag » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:52 am

My Dad has been laid up in Blackburn Hospital since Sunday, having tested positive on Thursday last week. For him it was his oxygen levels that took him in.
The nurses said the most trouble comes from this. Oxygen levels only need to drop 10-15% for it to become very dangerous and often people at this stage are often said to think they'll be fine. If you feel ill, get help.
I'm so thankful that his Mrs, who's had to self isolate, was with him as the stubborn so and so wouldn't have phoned an ambulance on Sunday and I dread to think of the consequences of that.

Stay safe, wear a mask, look after each other

bfcmatt

Post by bfcmatt » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:01 am

Scott Arfield's Swag wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:52 am
My Dad has been laid up in Blackburn Hospital since Sunday, having tested positive on Thursday last week. For him it was his oxygen levels that took him in.
The nurses said the most trouble comes from this. Oxygen levels only need to drop 10-15% for it to become very dangerous and often people at this stage are often said to think they'll be fine. If you feel ill, get help.
I'm so thankful that his Mrs, who's had to self isolate, was with him as the stubborn so and so wouldn't have phoned an ambulance on Sunday and I dread to think of the consequences of that.

Stay safe, wear a mask, look after each other
I really do hope that your dad has a fast recovery and can get out of hospital asap, it's not a nice place to be at the best of times never mind with what is going on at the moment.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:15 am

Wishing a speedy and full recovery to all afflicted by this vile virus, especially those who are hospitalised and cut off rom their families. Stay strong and think of your loved ones. Christmas Blessings on you all.