January Transfer Window Discussion - Rumours and Links welcome

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Re: January Transfer Window Discussion - Rumours and Links welcome

Post by DomBFC1882 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 am
Would be an excellent signing for them. There must be reasons why we don't go in for players like him, though. And it can't be down to lack of talent.
I think its down to a certain manager of ours sadly

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:52 am
Lingard considering 6 month loan to Sheff Utd say SSN

Given our shortcomings wide right would have thought we might have gone in for him on a similar short term deal
Too fast, too young, a little too creative, and wears gloves.

What about that Jow Allan guy at Stoke, he must be nearly ticking all the tight boxes now.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 am

Lingard is about as far removed from a Dyche player as you can get.

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:06 am

PremierLeagueClass wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 am
He's actually a very hard worker on the pitch. Not sure I'd agree that he isn't a Dyche type player.

Reckon he goes abroad though.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:09 am

Interesting that some people don’t see Lingard as a Dyche player but easy accept he could be a Wilder player.
This user liked this post: jojomk1

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:18 am

Would Steven Defour have been regarded as his type of player before signing for us?
This user liked this post: jojomk1

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 am

Lingard gets stick for his assists/goals over the last two seasons but I would say it's probably inarguable that he would be a vast improvement on the options we have in the attacking midfield/right wing areas. If the player is willing to go on loan to a club such as Sheffield United or Burnley, that is the proof of his attitude as far as I am concerned. I would be disappointed if we were not interested in him.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:45 am

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 am
Lingard gets stick for his assists/goals over the last two seasons but I would say it's probably inarguable that he would be a vast improvement on the options we have in the attacking midfield/right wing areas. If the player is willing to go on loan to a club such as Sheffield United or Burnley, that is the proof of his attitude as far as I am concerned. I would be disappointed if we were not interested in him.
Exactly the sort of loan signing we should be looking to make.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:48 am

Baffling if we don’t at least attempt to sign him on loan if he’s going to Sheff Utd.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Perhaps we should be asking why only Sheffield United are in for him if he is so good.

That would be my thought.

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Given up caring now.. just be the same old and the same team line up

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:02 pm

I have to agree with remarks made about Westwood and Brownhill. Westwood is having a poor season and Brownhill is not good enough at this level, apart from putting in blocks he offers little.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:02 pm
I have to agree with remarks made about Westwood and Brownhill. Westwood is having a poor season and Brownhill is not good enough at this level, apart from putting in blocks he offers little.
Brownhill was utilised as an attacking type of midfielder at Bristol City. Dyche doesn't want that from him so his talents are stifled in my opinion. You may be right that he isnt of sufficient quality at this level but until he is allowed to play his natural game it is hard to judge.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:11 pm

Wasn’t Brownhill putting in man of the match performances in December? Arsenal away springs to mind.
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret TsarBomba Wirvine

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:17 pm

When Brownhill joined Burnley SD remarked on his impressive energy and work rate ignoring the fact that the player had scored 5 goals in each of his last 2 seasons at Bristol City and with some added assists. At Burnley in the PL thus far Brownhill has recorded neither a goal nor an assist. Having said that our main strikers are also struggling to manage either as well.

NickBFC
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by NickBFC » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 pm

I think we need to see what the situation is once the window closes. As has been said, only 5 signings in the league so far so we're certainly not lagging behind many other clubs in that department (yet). We certainly need a boost with at least one player coming in who'll offer something different, but there is plenty of time left so we'll see what Pace and the new board can do. Seen a lot of people attack the new owners on social media - ridiculous to think they'll come in and splash tens of millions within a week or two.
This user liked this post: PWBFC

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Socrates wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:01 pm
Perhaps we should be asking why only Sheffield United are in for him if he is so good.

That would be my thought.
Problem with that argument is generally if another Premier league club is interested in a player it rules us out.
With Dyche unwilling to shop abroad i'd say Lingard is as good as we could expect.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:23 pm

I do think of late we are having problems in the midfield areas too. The quality of delivery in to the box hasn't been good enough. Compounded by the fact that when good chances do arrive, they are being missed. The cup game of course being an eye opener as to how out of form our current strikers are and to me, action should have been taken after that game as it was a bellwether as to where we are at.

BUT, ultimately it is the whole team's responsibility to score goals, with special emphasis on strikers, just as it is the whole team's responsibility to defend, with special emphasis on the goalkeeper/defenders. Only one part of the team is functioning right now.

While I will end this post with the assertion that I do think it is time for a change up top, I will also pose a question - how many goals are we getting from our midfield four each season and do we think it is enough?

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:29 pm

Always a problem managing expectations.

All of the talk during the final weeks of December was centred around the ALK takeover being completed by the 1st January, to enable fresh funds to be made available for some squad strengthening to help us to climb the table. When the hoped for signings don't materialise it leads to frustration in some and scepticism in others.

After all, fans weren't hoping that the takeover would go through just so Garlick could bank some dosh. :x
This user liked this post: Jenny55

NickBFC
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 278 times

Post by NickBFC » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:29 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:23 pm
I do think of late we are having problems in the midfield areas too. The quality of delivery in to the box hasn't been good enough. Compounded by the fact that when good chances do arrive, they are being missed. The cup game of course being an eye opener as to how out of form our current strikers are and to me, action should have been taken after that game as it was a bellwether as to where we are at.

BUT, ultimately it is the whole team's responsibility to score goals, with special emphasis on strikers, just as it is the whole team's responsibility to defend, with special emphasis on the goalkeeper/defenders. Only one part of the team is functioning right now.

While I will end this post with the assertion that I do think it is time for a change up top, I will also pose a question - how many goals are we getting from our midfield four each season and do we think it is enough?
The midfield generally don't chip in with enough goals, but I think this is in part down to Dyche's tactics. Play safe, work hard and protect the back four over supplying service and attacking support to the front two. Brownhill/Westwood have to cover a lot of ground against the typical midfield 3 so it isn't easy for them - any attacking threat is mostly nullified by having to play a bit more conservatively. McNeil has the quality to weigh in with several goals a season but he's on a leash. It's a fine balance and I don't think we have it quite right at the moment hence the lack of goals.

The quality of delivery definitely hasn't been good enough though, and that's down to the players. Wood/Barnes guilty of poor form, and some awful misses but they are in the main feeding on scraps.

gizmo
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by gizmo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:45 pm

I noticed yesterday that Luka Jovic had made a spectacular return to Eintracht Frankfurt. What intrigued me was how much are they paying him ,how much for a loan fee to Real Madrid and what the average wages are in the Bundesliga. Now I realise some will say Eintracht are bigger than ourselves but their income will like ours be dependant largely on TV money. Would love to know from our German based Clarets some answers.
Which German team are we on a par with and I presume that Jovic is on far more money than the rest of the squad, how do they react?
With our limited budget should we be paying a striker more or spread the money more evenly? Maybe time we had a little re-think because we appear to be going slowly backwards with our current policy.

Jenny55
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Jenny55 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:46 pm

“After all, fans weren't hoping that the takeover would go through just so Garlick could bank some dosh. :x

Sadly that is all that has happened. Garlick has had a major return on his investment, nothing will materialise in this window and our club is now in debt. Happy Days.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:53 pm

I think Lingard has a very good workrate, to be fair.

Also wanted by Leeds and Spurs according to the press, so sadly can't see him coming here or Sheffield United. If he wants to stay locally though, would be disappointed if we didn't even make our interest known.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Watching Shaqiri yesterday shows what we've lacked since SD4. Someone to thread a pass between the lines.
I think Westwood and Brownhill are capable of doing this but are too far behind the front 2 to play it that way. By the time they are close enough the opposition are defensively set.

We have no choice but to defend the way we do, but breaking quicker, and getting Westwood and Brownhill closer to the front 2 is crucial. When we put balls in we need bodies in the box, and someone on the edge of it to pick up any pieces.
I've never questioned the players efforts, but shrinking wall flowers aren't going to get us out of this mess.

So do we buy another midfielder to play that way, or try and let Westwood and Brownhill lose the shackles.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:29 pm

The way we currently play makes it almost impossible
for our midfielders to either create many chances for the forwards
or score themselves.
They very rarely get close enough to the oppositions penalty area to
get a shot off.

To stand much of a chance of them doing so may require us
to change formation and have three in midfield but can't see Dyche going for that.
We're one-dimensional at present and most teams have sussed us.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:12 pm

Three week's in and nothing

No player's linked just b/s rumours
Nothing coming out of the club or local media
Very very concerning with little time left, we don't look like adding to a paper thin ageing squad.

BFC123
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BFC123 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:23 pm

Are people really suggesting that Brownhill isn’t good enough? He’s got the most interceptions in the league (6 more than Kante in second) and Whoscored have him rated as our 2nd best player this season behind Mee. Can’t find the stats for it but I’m sure I read the other week that he was right up there for distance covered in the league as well.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:43 pm

BFC123 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:23 pm
Are people really suggesting that Brownhill isn’t good enough? He’s got the most interceptions in the league (6 more than Kante in second) and Whoscored have him rated as our 2nd best player this season behind Mee. Can’t find the stats for it but I’m sure I read the other week that he was right up there for distance covered in the league as well.
Stats don’t tell you everything. He is also in the bottom three midfielders for the offensive side of his game.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Jason O'connor posted on twitter . Derby are now open to idea of selling Jason Knight to help ease their financial woes. Burnley hot alerted today!!

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:55 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm
Jason O'connor posted on twitter . Derby are now open to idea of selling Jason Knight to help ease their financial woes. Burnley hot alerted today!!
This is promising.

This guy is literally spot on when it comes to Irish players

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:05 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:11 pm
Watching Shaqiri yesterday shows what we've lacked since SD4. Someone to thread a pass between the lines.
I think Westwood and Brownhill are capable of doing this but are too far behind the front 2 to play it that way. By the time they are close enough the opposition are defensively set.

We have no choice but to defend the way we do, but breaking quicker, and getting Westwood and Brownhill closer to the front 2 is crucial. When we put balls in we need bodies in the box, and someone on the edge of it to pick up any pieces.
I've never questioned the players efforts, but shrinking wall flowers aren't going to get us out of this mess.

So do we buy another midfielder to play that way, or try and let Westwood and Brownhill lose the shackles.
In a 4-4-2, Westwood and Brownhill will NOT be released to go further forward. A CM will only be given licence to drive forward or operate further forward if we play with 3 in the middle.

In a 4-4-2, it’s not the job of our midfield to do this. They are asked to screen the CB’s and break up play.

I find it incredible that after 8 years of Dyche and 4-4-2, there are still some people that don’t understand how we set up.

You simply cannot criticise Brownhill or Westwood for a lack of offensiveness in our current set up.

Edit- if you want our CM’s in a 2 to push forward, then you need to accept that our CB’s will be isolated more in 1v1’s, leading to more goals conceded. You can’t have it both ways.

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 pm

Conor Hourihane apparently available, surprised we haven't been linked. 29 year old
This user liked this post: TsarBomba

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:12 pm

Houtihane no better than Jack Cork whose not as good as Brownhill

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:23 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:55 pm
This is promising.

Rooney made him Captain on Saturday

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:24 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:05 pm
In a 4-4-2, Westwood and Brownhill will NOT be released to go further forward. A CM will only be given licence to drive forward or operate further forward if we play with 3 in the middle.

In a 4-4-2, it’s not the job of our midfield to do this. They are asked to screen the CB’s and break up play.

I find it incredible that after 8 years of Dyche and 4-4-2, there are still some people that don’t understand how we set up.

You simply cannot criticise Brownhill or Westwood for a lack of offensiveness in our current set up.”

I am certainly not expecting them to get forward like De Bruyne or Fernandez. I think you are mistaking passing the ball for attacking intent. Last season our CMs were higher up the pitch and also completed more successful passes in the final third.

Edit- if you want our CM’s in a 2 to push forward, then you need to accept that our CB’s will be isolated more in 1v1’s, leading to more goals conceded. You can’t have it both ways.

Wuggawumphwumph
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by Wuggawumphwumph » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:24 pm

What about Pearson at pke

SGEclaret
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by SGEclaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:25 pm

gizmo wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:45 pm
I noticed yesterday that Luka Jovic had made a spectacular return to Eintracht Frankfurt. What intrigued me was how much are they paying him ,how much for a loan fee to Real Madrid and what the average wages are in the Bundesliga. Now I realise some will say Eintracht are bigger than ourselves but their income will like ours be dependant largely on TV money. Would love to know from our German based Clarets some answers.
Which German team are we on a par with and I presume that Jovic is on far more money than the rest of the squad, how do they react?
With our limited budget should we be paying a striker more or spread the money more evenly? Maybe time we had a little re-think because we appear to be going slowly backwards with our current policy.
Real are paying a large part of the 5Million he will earn in the 6 months, with Eintracht paying less than 2. Biggest other earner is Trapp on 5 Mil. In a way the deal is a win/win as he will likely score quite a few and put himself back in the shop window for summer. His goals might help Eintracht to the EL places and in addition, his return has sparked Kostic back to life watching yesterday.
Drawing comparisons is difficult, Eintracht fill a 52,000 stadium each week (in normal times) and are expanding by a further 8000. Membership has just exceeded 100,000 and commercial and digital activities are first rate. Scouting network seems decent and the sporting director (Bobic) is well connected, can sniff out a talent and recruits to fit how they want the team to play. Transfer spend being quite limited compared to the EPL.
The transfer model/policy is a route BFC could likely go down, in bringing younger, lesser known talents in to play, develop and sell on at a profit. This, of course, means they need to play which carries some risk. If we are bold in doing this I would imagine seeing us relegated and back up again in the next 3-4 years. For sure, I would not anticipate marquee or big money January signings. These last bits being purely conjecture on my part…
I saw on another thread Freiburg were touted as a comparator although I don’t know enough about them to give an honest verdict. Perhaps Koln too? Industrial area, previous champions, up and down a few times.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:30 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:12 pm
Houtihane no better than Jack Cork whose not as good as Brownhill
I think we miss Cork. Underrated.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:38 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:55 pm
This is promising.

Jason o Connor:Burnley fans worried about asking price of Knight, Same sort of deal can be achieved like Hendrick deal with Derby. More money upfront and add ons regarding success etc.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:49 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:38 pm
Jason o Connor:Burnley fans worried about asking price of Knight, Same sort of deal can be achieved like Hendrick deal with Derby. More money upfront and add ons regarding success etc.
Genuinely really excited if we sign him. Top young talent.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:03 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:30 pm
I think we miss Cork. Underrated.
Results back that up

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 pm

joey13 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:03 pm
Results back that up
Thought he was in great form when he got injured. Not sure I’d bring back a half-fit Cork at this point in the season.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 pm

LawsCanalJump wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 pm
Conor Hourihane apparently available, surprised we haven't been linked. 29 year old
Not old enough for a Dyche type signing?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:09 pm

joey13 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:23 pm
Rooney made him Captain on Saturday
He should know a talent when he sees one.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:09 pm

BFC123 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:23 pm
No assists no goals - just still out for me

Blocks is good but just shows how much defending we have to do

claretlegend
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by claretlegend » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:19 pm

Here's the Derby view on him if anyone is interested.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/36516-jason-knight/#comments

Certainly seems very highly rated by them.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:54 pm

The inevitable reference to us being " tin pot " on there, alongside discussion of them not being able to pay this month's wages. Beyond ironic...
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:07 pm

"West Brom and Burnley are the two Premier League teams who appear in most desperate need of a new striker and that is reflected in the fact they are the only two clubs given odds for Carroll and also for Watford striker Troy Deeney".

Gives you that warm fuzzy feeling to know things like this :(

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:12 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:07 pm
"West Brom and Burnley are the two Premier League teams who appear in most desperate need of a new striker and that is reflected in the fact they are the only two clubs given odds for Carroll and also for Watford striker Troy Deeney".

Rather stick with Wood & Barnes.
This user liked this post: KateR

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:17 pm

KateR wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:07 pm

The thought of it makes me ill :shock: God help us if we get either. I think one of 4 would have to go before introducing any new forward.
This user liked this post: KateR