“A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Re: “A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:23 pm

Manchester United shares rise over 9% today on news of the ESL.

Music to the American owners ears

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:47 pm

well the most deluded here are Arsenal and spurs from the UK contingent.

If they are allowed to play in the domestic leagues then City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool will just buy a second team that will win the Premier League. Arsenal and Tottenham wont have the cash so they will fail in the PL and the Super League. The money boys will take away their relegation immunity and they will have to get out of the Championship to have a half decent club

If there are excluded from the domestic leagues they will get kicked out of the Super League for always finishing near last... and then have to plead to join the National League.

lets make it easier and just have United playing Barcelona every week.

These big boys leagues will be the start of Big boys arguments none of the elite 12 will be immune. And their fans will lose interest because there is only one trophy to share amongst themselves

tell them to do one and don't let them back, the variety and unpredictability of domestic leagues will prevail one the couch potatoes get bored

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:58 pm

Spijed wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 pm
Even if it's just the opening shots to try and get a better deal for the big clubs how do they legislate for teams like Arsenal who are no longer guaranteed a top six spot every season?

I can only see them increasing the payments on how high you finish (A big gap in the payment for 6th as opposed to 7th), but how can they justify increased money to a side like Arsenal if they get nowhere near a European place?
I don’t believe this is opening shots. Several high profile clubs officials have quit UEFA already to take lead positions
In the new ESL. This is happening it’s the fall out that happens is what we have to watch.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:04 pm

One half of my family is from Manchester and the City/Utd fans in our family WhatsApp group are as angry as the rest of us. These six clubs have shown utter contempt for their own fans, never mind the rest of us, and not much respect for their own players either.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 pm

Lowbank is right. It looks like this is going to happen, unfortunately. The six clubs are already lawyered up and the whole thing is being bankrolled by JPMorgan ($4.8 billion).

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:58 pm
I don’t believe this is opening shots. Several high profile clubs officials have quit UEFA already to take lead positions
In the new ESL. This is happening it’s the fall out that happens is what we have to watch.
For me they are definitely opening shots. I honestly don't think those six clubs expected the response they have had. I genuinely do think they could find themselves backtracking pretty quickly or I think they could be hit so very hard that they'll take years to recover.
They're not just taking on football authorities now. They have taken on Government's and even opposition parties of government.
This isn't going to end well for the top six as they they think they are.

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:17 pm

This isn't happening. 100% not happening.

It's just a Drama. Read between the lines.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 pm

Beckham has already presented his proposal for Inter Miami to join in 2024

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:20 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm
Oliver Dowden speaking to parliament at 16:30 today about this and Sky Sports News have been told to "Ensure they tune in to hear what he has to say".

At the same time, I notice if I go on the Sky Bet app I can now get odds on an outright winner of the Premier League with the 'Big Six' removed.
So, what tough action has Oliver Dowden outlined to the House Of Commons or has he bottled it?

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:22 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:13 pm
I honestly don't think those six clubs expected the response they have had.
I do, Ben. This is why the announcement was at 11.30pm on Sunday.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm
bare in mind Sky is owned by Comcast, it is in their interest to make stuff up to kill the league straight away - proper pinch of salt stuff
So, you think SKY make things up? In this case they haven't spoken to the said board member at one of the clubs involved?
I don't believe it. If anything, SKY are usually one of the later ones with official news as they try and get an official statement / unofficial talks on the phone before putting things out. The wording is usually key for them; here it sounds pretty official. None of this IT IS REPORTED / ALLEGED / RUMOURS OF THIS & THAT.
I don't believe they'd make things up.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:27 pm

Wonder if a few commercial partners might pull out in the short term? Maybe looking for an excuse to do so anyway, but surely this has turned in to such a horrible PR situation that some will be looking at it very carefully.

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:27 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:22 pm
I do, Ben. This is why the announcement was at 11.30pm on Sunday.
You'll have to explain as I fail to see how they expected such a backlash.
Apart from a brief rise in shares Monday morning.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:13 pm
For me they are definitely opening shots. I honestly don't think those six clubs expected the response they have had. I genuinely do think they could find themselves backtracking pretty quickly or I think they could be hit so very hard that they'll take years to recover.
They're not just taking on football authorities now. They have taken on Government's and even opposition parties of government.
This isn't going to end well for the top six as they they think they are.
Well sky sports news were talking about having talked to a board member of our be of the six clubs. He said they had signed contracts and that they would be happy if their top players could not play a n the World Cup etc as they are fed up with their assets being done neuter in these games and them getting not enough money to cover players being injured. FIFA and uEFA are going to go all out on this I think and I still believe the clubs will be kicked out on f the league.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:20 pm
So, what tough action has Oliver Dowden outlined to the House Of Commons or has he bottled it?
Bottled it, just like all the other organisations will. Talk of the teams being kicked out of the champions league semis........ I'll bait my breath now

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm

This is about as popular as VAR :D Liverpool fans are probably the most vocal in the World when it comes to righting wrongs and I have a feeling they WILL BE HEARD!

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 pm

Awayfromburnley wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:17 pm
This isn't happening. 100% not happening.

It's just a Drama. Read between the lines.
Contracts have been signed , that’s why they have taken legal action already. This is happening , just you watch.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:27 pm
Project Big Picture set the tome of expectation as to the backlash. as did the reaction when the Times released detail of the plans in January - much of this was expected

I do agree with you that nothing is a sealed deal as yet

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 pm

Premier League Rulebook Here - section L9 (Page 188)

https://resources.premierleague.com/pre ... 240321.pdf
Premier League Rule L9.JPG
Premier League Rule L9.JPG (61.91 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Breach of Rules, throw them out, no prize money; no TV money. Bye Bye.
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret tiger76 Bigvince

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Don't understand the attack on players stopping them from playing internationals or other competitions. It isn't their fault and they will have contracts that makes them play if available.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 pm
Contracts have been signed , that’s why they have taken legal action already. This is happening , just you watch.
It will happen no doubt, as hardly any of the threats being aimed at the clubs will be carried through.

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm
Well sky sports news were talking about having talked to a board member of our be of the six clubs. He said they had signed contracts and that they would be happy if their top players could not play a n the World Cup etc as they are fed up with their assets being done neuter in these games and them getting not enough money to cover players being injured. FIFA and uEFA are going to go all out on this I think and I still believe the clubs will be kicked out on f the league.
All I'll say is the fans of the club I was at today are scared to death their club quite literally wrote it's own epitaph and they were all quite clear it was THEIR owners who'd be to blame. Nobody else.

giveusaB
Been Liked: 204 times
Has Liked: 169 times

Post by giveusaB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:34 pm

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:34 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:27 pm
Yes of course they expected it. You think they just rang some lawyers this morning to launch a legal attack. This has been planned by very powerful people. This is a run away train you ain’t stopping, it’s just the damage that’s caused in its way.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:35 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:32 pm
Don't understand the attack on players stopping them from playing internationals or other competitions. It isn't their fault and they will have contracts that makes them play if available.
True, perhaps for those players already at the clubs who don't really have a choice, could be brought in for new players joining those clubs

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Man city, Chelsea and real Madrid to be kicked out of this year's champions League according to UEFA.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 pm
I think you will find it to be little more than an understanding to move to the next stage of exploration and it will be just as easy to wind back if they lose the legal arguments in court - though as I posted earlier when was the last time a football authority beat a big club in court? I cannot remember any instance that wasn't first pre-empted by a national/international court criminal conviction

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:36 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm
Bottled it, just like all the other organisations will. Talk of the teams being kicked out of the champions league semis........ I'll bait my breath now
Yes just heard Dowden in the HOC talking about a fan led review, that sounds like he's trying to kick the can down the road, as is often the case with the politicians.

Also seen the threats to kick the teams involved out of European comps this season, I'll be surprised if that happens, but if it did it would be real shot across the bows that UEFA are taking this threat of a breakaway league seriously, and that they will act to protect their own tournaments, we'll just have to wait and see if they follow through on their promises.

And if those said clubs are removed from UEFA comps will they also forfeit their prize money they've earned?, again I highly doubt it, but it would be a sign that UEFA do really have the teeth to act should they wish.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:37 pm

claretandy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:35 pm
Man city, Chelsea and real Madrid to be kicked out of this year's champions League according to UEFA.
Unless it's changed, that would have to happen at a meeting on Friday, not today

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:34 pm
Yes of course they expected it. You think they just rang some lawyers this morning to launch a legal attack. This has been planned by very powerful people. This is a run away train you ain’t stopping, it’s just the damage that’s caused in its way.
You need to read what I said again.

I know how business works. I am more than aware these things take time and all parties will be aware of other parties planned movements.
What I am saying is. The so called 'Big Six' will not have expected the reaction they got across football and beyond. They certainly will not have expected the fans all sticking together. This is not something they'd have considered because they're not thinking of it in the same way we do.
I didn't say at any stage that they just decided it yesterday. I am saying they have no understanding of the power of the football family and decided to act against everything our game stands for.
They DID NOT expect this reaction.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:48 pm

claretandy wrote:
Excellent news !!

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:48 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm
Oliver Dowden speaking to parliament at 16:30 today about this and Sky Sports News have been told to "Ensure they tune in to hear what he has to say".

At the same time, I notice if I go on the Sky Bet app I can now get odds on an outright winner of the Premier League with the 'Big Six' removed.
Bookies have always offered odds on that, so I wouldn't read anything into it.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:51 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:43 pm

I know how business works. I am more than aware these things take time and all parties will be aware of other parties planned movements.
What I am saying is. The so called 'Big Six' will not have expected the reaction they got across football and beyond. They certainly will not have expected the fans all sticking together. This is not something they'd have considered because they're not thinking of it in the same way we do.
I didn't say at any stage that they just decided it yesterday. I am saying they have no understanding of the power of the football family and decided to act against everything our game stands for.
We will have to agree to disagree, what they think about the fans ( season ticket holders) is this, they provide about what 3-4% of revenue, so they are irrelevant. They will expect to fill the grounds with new supporters

I suggest they will not give two hoots what the fans think.

The director who spoke to Sky said s much. They do not care about some bad PR.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:43 pm

Will that stop them though?

I think they’re seeing this as a messy divorce. They’re sick of the wife, she’s put weight on, her mates are boring and her job isn’t as good as yours so you can’t get a bigger house.

You’ve got an offer on the table from a gorgeous lass a few years younger who has Daddy’s money in her bank account and is somehow infatuated with you (despite you being Arsenal).

You know it’s going to be a messy divorce. The kids will be an issue, so will your mortgage - the in laws are a noisy bunch too, and absolutely no doubt your ‘good’ name will be dragged through the dirt on social media by her mates. You know what you want though, and you’ve come this far - just see it through. The outrage will die down after a few months and then the life you wanted is yours.

I genuinely believe the likes of the Glazers, Abramovich, FSG, Kroenke etc see it as simply as that.

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:55 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 pm
Will that stop them though?

I think they’re seeing this as a messy divorce. They’re sick of the wife, she’s put weight on, her mates are boring and her job isn’t as good as yours so you can’t get a bigger house.

You’ve got an offer on the table from a gorgeous lass a few years younger who has Daddy’s money in her bank account and is somehow infatuated with you (despite you being Arsenal).

You know it’s going to be a messy divorce. The kids will be an issue, so will your mortgage - the in laws are a noisy bunch too, and absolutely no doubt your ‘good’ name will be dragged through the dirt on social media by her mates. You know what you want though, and you’ve come this far - just see it through. The outrage will die down after a few months and then the life you wanted is yours.

I genuinely believe the likes of the Glazers, Abramovich, FSG, Kroenke etc see it as simply as that.
I do like the analogy and yes it's safe to assume all the above have shown more than enough to show they're ignorant to fans needs. However. They can't be that stupid, can they?

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:51 pm
We will have to agree to disagree, what they think about the fans ( season ticket holders) is this, they provide about what 3-4% of revenue, so they are irrelevant. They will expect to fill the grounds with new supporters

I suggest they will not give two hoots what the fans think.

The director who spoke to Sky said s much. They do not care about some bad PR.
We're largely agreeing. I just think they grossly underestimated the response.
I certainly won't argue they don't care and never have.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:58 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:55 pm
I do like the analogy and yes it's safe to assume all the above have shown more than enough to show they're ignorant to fans needs. However. They can't be that stupid, can they?
If their business model includes global games then will they care about the ramifications in the UK?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:00 pm

claretandy wrote:
Only rumours thus far, but it would be a major kick in the googlies for them if true, Man City in particular, they can have their soulless ESL if they wish, but they always be known as the state owned club who never won the CL.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:02 pm

diamondpocket wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 pm
So, you think SKY make things up? In this case they haven't spoken to the said board member at one of the clubs involved?
I don't believe it. If anything, SKY are usually one of the later ones with official news as they try and get an official statement / unofficial talks on the phone before putting things out. The wording is usually key for them; here it sounds pretty official. None of this IT IS REPORTED / ALLEGED / RUMOURS OF THIS & THAT.
I don't believe they'd make things up.
100%

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm
We're largely agreeing. I just think they grossly underestimated the response.
I certainly won't argue they don't care and never have.
I see similarities to when the American race car series broke apart. I think at the time it was called CART. MANSELL and a few other drivers had got a lot of people watching over here. Some teams broke away and formed a new series. I think it damaged the sport over there from which it never got back to the same level.

I also don’t see how legal challenges will be heard before the proposed start of August for the new ESL.

I think this is going to get very messy.

But the main point is the amount of money on offer, guaranteed year on year with no risk of losing it.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5515 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pm
I see similarities to when the American race car series broke apart. I think at the time it was called CART. MANSELL and a few other drivers had got a lot of people watching over here. Some teams broke away and formed a new series. I think it damaged the sport over there from which it never got back to the same level.

I also don’t see how legal challenges will be heard before the proposed start of August for the new ESL.

I think this is going to get very messy.

But the main point is the amount of money on offer, guaranteed year on year with no risk of losing it.
Not sure about "no risk of losing it". If the novelty wears off and funders/broadcasters subsequently slow down or turn off the tap altogether they are screwed. Long shot, but here's hoping.

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:18 pm

Spijed wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:58 pm
If their business model includes global games then will they care about the ramifications in the UK?
I'd be interested what the interest would be after all this. I spoke to fans today who were willing to physically stop people entering the stadium for games.
Be interesting how it pans out but I can pretty much guarantee this league won't happen.
What will happen will be a total stand down or clubs will be losing money hand over fist because they will be kicked out or relegated and when I say relegated. I mean National League level.
Can the PL sustain the brand? Now they can yes. Can these so called big clubs survive?
I have spoken to many of these fans of one of these clubs today and they're all scared they'll be kicked out/relegated and they blame only one group. Their owners.
This league won't happen. I'd be surprised if any of these clubs can come back from this as they are now quite literally having everything, including the neighbour's kitchen sink thrown at them.
They are going tp get hammered I am telling you now and it's going to hurt them for years.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:28 pm

The only thing I find strange is why are Leeds not included?
😝

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:35 pm

I reckon this will happen. The owners of these clubs don’t give a sh1t for their own fans and have no feel for tradition of the game. There will be a huge market for tv viewing in Asia and eventually everywhere. The owners will see the financial opportunity and just brass neck any backlash until it all dies down. Be interesting to see how companies like Sky will change their attitude as this evolves.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:37 pm

Just had a terrible thought.

If the six were booted out of the PL, then nine teams from the Championship could be promoted. Top 8 plus one through the play offs (places 9 - 12).

The Bastards could sneak in. Stop this nonsense now!

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:38 pm

What would a rational investor/owner do? Let's say they have just bought a small PL club, with limited prospects of European competition, for £150m and their business model relies heavily on current levels of PL TV money. Would they vote to expel the 6 PL clubs if that would result in a bigger reduction in TV revenue than allowing them to stay and devalue the product?
This user liked this post: Hipper

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:41 pm

This user liked this post: Duffer_

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:42 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:35 pm
I reckon this will happen. The owners of these clubs don’t give a sh1t for their own fans and have no feel for tradition of the game. There will be a huge market for tv viewing in Asia and eventually everywhere. The owners will see the financial opportunity and just brass neck any backlash until it all dies down. Be interesting to see how companies like Sky will change their attitude as this evolves.
Leicester are owned by a wealthy Malaysian consortium so I am sure their invite is just delayed in the mail. :P

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:44 pm

Unfortunately, this is inevitable and has probably become a much higher priority since the CoVid shenanigans and the fact that most owners are not British now.

If not now, this will eventually happen. I'm not saying it's right - it's absolutely not - but this has been on the cards since the first attempts at a "Super League" before the Premier League came into being. This and all the politcal crap has really soured me on football and I don't really miss it.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 pm

I'm no fan of Leeds, but this is hilarious.
C0F1F9BC-BCC0-4FA3-9315-3002CA007828.png
C0F1F9BC-BCC0-4FA3-9315-3002CA007828.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2072 times
These 3 users liked this post: jedi_master Zlatan 4:20