“A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: “A blatant power grab” – Fans criticise own clubs on UCL plans

Post by martin_p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Dear supporters,

A breakaway Super League should never have happened, but this is about much more than club self-interest and is an example of how the governance of football in this country and throughout Europe needs to be reformed.

The six Premier League clubs taking this step have turned their back on our moral duty as custodians of the game to protect English football and, the spirit of the sport, at all costs.

Weak governance has led us to this point.

Therefore, today I am calling on Boris Johnson and Oliver Dowden to follow their welcome intervention and now appoint an independent regulator to protect English football with legislation.

As a former financier, I understand the commercial considerations for these clubs and can appreciate their frustration at being the largest revenue drivers for the UEFA Champions League, without receiving the same levels of influence and reward.

However, this is a move which does not treat fans or the game’s history with the respect it deserves and is not the solution.

We need to ensure that football is protected. The game is bigger than all of us, and its future cannot be compromised by self-interest.

The contempt the proposals have received was inevitable.

It is truly a shame that it has come to this. We are the greatest league in the world and we can do more to bring people together and set the path forward for all and not just the few.

We have a responsibility to all that have come before us and all those who will follow in the wider game.

While we too at Burnley have ambitious plans to grow the club’s revenues, those plans have always been on the back of performance, both on and off the pitch, and not artificial protectionism.

As my business partners and I have now been working and living in Burnley for several months and are in the process of moving permanently to the area, I would greatly encourage my fellow chairmen to walk the streets around their local communities and get to know them personally, rather than creating more distance between themselves and fans.

This is also why I invite No10, the Government and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport to now legislate.

Ultimately, we need a strong regulator in the style of OFTEL or OFCOM to protect and build the interests of English football.

It’s time to do things differently!

Over the coming days, I will be working hard alongside my fellow club owners and governing bodies to fight these proposals and find a solution to improved football governance in this country.

I welcome initial noises coming from the UK Government and encourage them to provide strong leadership on these proposals, given their seismic impact on the UK’s cultural landscape.

Yours, in Football

Alan Pace
These 3 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop Brucefanclaret Claret

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm

An excellent statement by new chairman Pace, let’s hope the new owners deliver on their promises despite leveraging the buyout with £80m of club debt. We shall see!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 pm

The part a don’t like about all this is how local fans want to be treated as some kind of “special fan” over foreign. Foreign fans interested in football have made our club grow far beyond what any local interest in us or English football could. To just dismiss their wants feels a bit wrong.

I’m very against it. But we can’t keep wanting to use foreign fans to grow our clubs/leagues then dismiss them as nothing because they weren’t there in days gone by.

There was a thread a few weeks back about how we can grow the club in The States, to make us better, richer and in a better position to challenge. We can’t now have the opinion that foreign fans mean nothing and are nothing.
This user liked this post: Chester Perry

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Dyched wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 pm
The part a don’t like about all this is how local fans want to be treated as some kind of “special fan” over foreign. Foreign fans interested in football have made our club grow far beyond what any local interest in us or English football could. To just dismiss their wants feels a bit wrong.

I’m very against it. But we can’t keep wanting to use foreign fans to grow our clubs/leagues then dismiss them as nothing because they weren’t there in days gone by.

There was a thread a few weeks back about how we can grow the club in The States, to make us better, richer and in a better position to challenge. We can’t now have the opinion that foreign fans mean nothing and are nothing.
And all the 'local fans' have done is ensure the club still exists.
This user liked this post: EricaJacko

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm

Pep seemed more annoyed with UEFA than the idea.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:52 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm
I quite like Guadiola, though I’m not really surprised if that’s the line he’s taken. At the end of the day, as brilliant as he has been, he operates and wants to operate with budgets most others can only dream of.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 pm

“Local meat for local people” as the League of Gentlemen would say!

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 pm

Dyched wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 pm

In life you look after your own and then others . It is possible to do both but history is littered with failures who failed to do the most important of these things

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:47 pm
Pep is a puppet, and he can jog the f#ck on

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:02 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 pm
There will be a future position for a new Chairman of the European Super League

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Zlatan wrote:
He's been more outspoken than any other manager

City have cut his press conference off before all questions had been asked

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 pm

This is probably a controversial opinion and I am not trying to inflame anything but there is such an inevitability about the ESL and its ultimate global construct. Inter Miami v Flamenco etc being a regular event. All games big games between huge brands. Long term investment based on guaranteed participation. I am not completely against it because of the inevitability. It isn’t yet end of football. Kids would love it. Ultimately new franchises would be invited to join, Everton etc. The domestic leagues would be more competitive. There is a sense of destiny about it and I am not completely against it.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:22 pm
I’m seeing a lot of statements on social media from the ‘other 14’, condemning this ESL nonsense.

Wolves have updated their Twitter bio, poking fun that they were PL Champions when they finished 7th.

Leeds were calling Liverpool ‘Merseyside Reds’ last night.

And yet from us, the silence is deafening.

I tend not to be too critical of the club. We get a helluva lot more right than wrong. But, there really needs to be some engagement from the club to the fans, when disenchantment and disconnection with football in general is already as high as it is.

Made perfect sense to release a statement once the meeting with the 14 chairman of the other clubs had ended earlier today.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Liked this one ‘ Please, please play booing sounds from the crowd the next time the Big 6 play’
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 timshorts

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:20 pm

I have voiced reservations about a government appointed regulator for football a number of times, and continue to acknowledge the failings of the football authorities.

I feel the club (and by extension the Premier League, because I suspect this is a conclusion the 14 have come to out of desperation - which is never a good strategy) are inviting further long lasting complications into their lives that they may regret all too quickly

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 pm

They released the statement before everything was sorted so where are they going to get the rest from?

After the response, other clubs might not be so eager to join so they could be left with the also rans instead of 'the elite.'

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:26 pm

Statement this afternoon from the Premier League

The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal.

The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules.

The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.

The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue.

The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 pm

Looks like they had to get their intent known before Monday . Half baked or running with 12?
Who knows but great entertainment unless you are a fan of our self appointed Big 6

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:24 pm
I can only see a UEFA capitulation when they end up more or less offering them the same deal in the champs league
100% what is going to happen. It's like Groundhog Day this. How many times have we seen this 'Super League' idea mooted, then pulled back from.. then a tweaked format of the Champions League and a change to income redistribution.

Not sure any of these clubs want to leave, they're just using the same old bargaining chip - but as they've used it so many times, they've had to try and look like they really mean it this time.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:40 pm

LS7 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 pm
This is probably a controversial opinion and I am not trying to inflame anything but there is such an inevitability about the ESL and its ultimate global construct. Inter Miami v Flamenco etc being a regular event. All games big games between huge brands. Long term investment based on guaranteed participation. I am not completely against it because of the inevitability. It isn’t yet end of football. Kids would love it. Ultimately new franchises would be invited to join, Everton etc. The domestic leagues would be more competitive. There is a sense of destiny about it and I am not completely against it.
Haven’t seen many express this line but fair enough. One question only , in this quest for the ultimate global construction should these 6 Premier League sides be sacrificed by being expelled from their national league as has been proposed by many

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:44 pm

Jordan Henderson has called a meeting of PL club captains, according to a newsflash that’s just popped up on my phone. The output from that could be very interesting.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Having a little think and this could make creation of next seasons fixtures interesting, having to structure it around yet another competition, if the 6 stay in the PL.

Are they also going to withdraw from our national Cup competitions as many of these games can be, and are, played in midweek?

Is the ESL going to be played at their normal grounds or are they going to take it on tour?
One way to generate interest and finances is by making it accessible to fans around the world by going on tour with it, but then that interferes with any other competitions etc.

So much to consider.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:54 pm

Interesting stuff coming out on Sky.
The 14 don’t want the 6 to leave the PL.

However if they stay they are not prepared to work with several of the execs of the 6 and they would not be welcome back.

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:40 pm
Haven’t seen many express this line but fair enough. One question only , in this quest for the ultimate global construction should these 6 Premier League sides be sacrificed by being expelled from their national league as has been proposed by many
IMO - yes, send them packing.

The fundamental part of it for me is that the closed shop scenario creates a different sport to what we all grew up knowing and having the love/hate relationship with.

Its a different sport when there's no threat of relegation or chance of promotion, many games will become dead rubbers for those "founder" members who cant be kicked out, but those fighting to stay in will be affected.

If they want an entertainment spectacle like the American Superbowl where the global audience they speak of is only interested in the final (lets be honest, most people dont care about all the playoffs to get there do they - at least not on a global level); and then at this final they get to auction off the half time entertainment and change the sport to be 3 lots of 20 minute halves (purposefully not said thirds) to keep the young ones interested it is clearly a different sport - it will be NFL but with Soccer instead of pansy rugby players.

So yes, kick them out because what they propose is not Association Football, which is the game we all love (well most of us anyway)

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:58 pm

BA8B8A12-89FE-415D-8218-9B579F9F26B0.jpeg
BA8B8A12-89FE-415D-8218-9B579F9F26B0.jpeg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 2004 times

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Apparently there is a rule that teams have to inform the PL by letter before joining any tournament outside of the current ones.
It appears they feel this rule can be used to hold teams to account.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:14 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:03 pm
Apparently there is a rule that teams have to inform the PL by letter before joining any tournament outside of the current ones.
It appears they feel this rule can be used to hold teams to account.
FIFA and UEFA and I presume the leagues were sent pre-emptive letters of the start of legal proceeding's yesterday aimed at preventing presumptive penalising actions from these bodies. The SLco12 have entered into this very much prepared after the experience of Project Big Picture as I posted earlier

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Zlatan wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm
IMO - yes, send them packing.

The fundamental part of it for me is that the closed shop scenario creates a different sport to what we all grew up knowing and having the love/hate relationship with.

Its a different sport when there's no threat of relegation or chance of promotion, many games will become dead rubbers for those "founder" members who cant be kicked out, but those fighting to stay in will be affected.

If they want an entertainment spectacle like the American Superbowl where the global audience they speak of is only interested in the final (lets be honest, most people dont care about all the playoffs to get there do they - at least not on a global level); and then at this final they get to auction off the half time entertainment and change the sport to be 3 lots of 20 minute halves (purposefully not said thirds) to keep the young ones interested it is clearly a different sport - it will be NFL but with Soccer instead of pansy rugby players.

So yes, kick them out because what they propose is not Association Football, which is the game we all love (well most of us anyway)
I've just heard the Pep interview and he also refers to it as a different sport - I take it back, he's not a puppet like I first stated and I think he's referring to what I tried to say above.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:21 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 pm
I've just heard the Pep interview and he also refers to it as a different sport - I take it back, he's not a puppet like I first stated and I think he's referring to what I tried to say above.
always good to acknowledge a mistake quickly, makes it so much easier to move on, well done Zlatan
This user liked this post: Zlatan

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:54 pm
Interesting stuff coming out on Sky.
The 14 don’t want the 6 to leave the PL.

However if they stay they are not prepared to work with several of the execs of the 6 and they would not be welcome back.
So where does that leave the 6 clubs. I presume that they mean they would not welcome back the owners, who won't walk away from their clubs. They have also said whatever happens, the PL needs a total reset - what does that even mean?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:24 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 pm
So where does that leave the 6 clubs. I presume that they mean they would not welcome back the owners, who won't walk away from their clubs. They have also said whatever happens, the PL needs a total reset - what does that even mean?
It is probably specifically directed at Ed Woodward and Tom Werner

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:24 pm

My son just asked me, what happens to their academies if they fly solo?
It's a good question, I can't see the youths being entertained by the prem or FA, if the parent clubs have quit.
So many unanswered questions. It just grows as it goes.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:25 pm

Bayern Munich have spoken out against it.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:24 pm
It is probably specifically directed at Ed Woodward and Tom Werner
Even so, you can't imagine them stepping away from their roles. The likes of Joel Glazer has put his name on the commitment to the the ESL, so how would it be right to scapegoat a few individuals?

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:14 pm
FIFA and UEFA and I presume the leagues were sent pre-emptive letters of the start of legal proceeding's yesterday aimed at preventing presumptive penalising actions from these bodies. The SLco12 have entered into this very much prepared after the experience of Project Big Picture as I posted earlier
I agree, I have said before on this thread they will have planned for this. I am sure they will have done pre planning for each situation that they thought could occur. The people who own these clubs are used to getting their way and will front it out I think for now.

It seems obvious that these 6 clubs will not compete in the league and FA cup, plus not the champions league or Europa. They don’t get enough revenue from them and they want to play less games not more.

It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:25 pm
and are now the figure heads at the ECA

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:28 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm
I agree, I have said before on this thread they will have planned for this. I am sure they will have done pre planning for each situation that they thought could occur. The people who own these clubs are used to getting their way and will front it out I think for now.

It seems obvious that these 6 clubs will not compete in the league and FA cup, plus not the champions league or Europa. They don’t get enough revenue from them and they want to play less games not more.

It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks.
I suspect the battle will rage for at least a year with all competitions proceeding in their current format, whatever the final outcome I only see the big clubs winning financially in Europe
Last edited by Chester Perry on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:28 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:22 pm
They did say it needs a reset, I see that as attempting to get the 6 back onside and maybe restructure the cash payouts. That would not be good for clubs like us.

AshevilleNCClaret
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by AshevilleNCClaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm

The irony is that the Super League really isn't about forming a competitive league top to bottom, its really about keeping the elite clubs at the top. Everyone but the top 4 (Man City, Man U, Real Madrid, and Barca ) are going to be on playing for 5th place...

I doubt there would be equal revenue sharing on TV rights.
I doubt there would be any salary cap put in place.

There are already 2 good examples of Super leagues: the NBA and NFL, and they only work because of competitive balance.

Eventually, the luster of the league is going to lose its shine... who is going to want to turn into a Wednesday Super League relegation battle match between Arsenal and Inter Milan?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:32 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm
Even so, you can't imagine them stepping away from their roles. The likes of Joel Glazer has put his name on the commitment to the the ESL, so how would it be right to scapegoat a few individuals?
Those are the individuals that have been lying in Premier League meetings, ECA ,meetings and UEFA meetings - Woodward and Werner signed the Premier League statement that agreed to the binning of Project Big Picture and were then complicit in Super League, which still requires some of the Project Big Picture demands

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm

AshevilleNCClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm
The irony is that the Super League really isn't about forming a competitive league top to bottom, its really about keeping the elite clubs at the top. Everyone but the top 4 (Man City, Man U, Real Madrid, and Barca ) are going to be on playing for 5th place...

There are already 2 good examples of Super leagues: the NBA and NFL, and they only work because of competitive balance.

Eventually, the luster of the league is going to lose its shine... who is going to want to turn into a Wednesday Super League relegation battle match between Arsenal and Inter Milan?
The inequalities are built into the distributions of revenue - it is not equal - and there is provision for clubs to own the global distribution rights for a certain number of their games

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:28 pm
I suspect the battle will rage for at least a year with all competitions proceeding in their current format, whatever the final outcome I only see the big clubs winning financially in Europe
Would that not be difficult if they are starting this new comp in August. I don’t think they will want to be delaying that as I am sure they will have had talks with advertisers and TV companies. I see this getting very ugly unfortunately.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:42 pm

AshevilleNCClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:29 pm

But it would not be a relegation battle, or am I wrong, it would be a game to see who finishes bottom but still gets massive payments. Ian King on Sky appears to have seen proposals that says the winning club would get 50% more than the bottom club.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Transfer News Live
@DeadlineDayLive
2h
Chelsea and Manchester City are having doubts about joining the Super League.
Discussions took place today at the UEFA congress on whether it was possible for both clubs to back down.
(Source: The Guardian)

Is it any surprise Man City might be having doubts, considering it might weaken their position in football?
They would only do this to keep themselves at the top of the Prem.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:46 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 pm
Would that not be difficult if they are starting this new comp in August. I don’t think they will want to be delaying that as I am sure they will have had talks with advertisers and TV companies. I see this getting very ugly unfortunately.
It is a stated desire and nothing much more - what it does is focus attention and generate fear and panic, which is so much easier to manipulate than rationality. If you actually look at the legal hurdles involved it was never going to happen this year unless someone capitulates

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20891&start=6935

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:56 pm

Rumours that Jordna Henderson has called a meeting of Premier League captains tomorrow. This is probably the best chance to crush this quickly.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:25 pm
They certainly have statement in full below.

Bayern Munich 'say no' to the ESL

Bayern Munich, who are the current holders of the Uefa Champions League, have released the following statement in the last hour:

FC Bayern Munich takes a closed position on the Super League. President Herbert Hainer says: “Our members and fans reject a Super League. It is our wish as FC Bayern and our goal that the European clubs live this wonderful and emotional Champions League competition and develop it together with UEFA. FC Bayern says no to the Super League. "

The chairman of the board Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms: “On behalf of the board I can expressly state that FC Bayern does not take part in the Super League. FC Bayern stands in solidarity with the Bundesliga. It was and is always a great pleasure for us to be able to play as the German representative in the Champions League. We all still fondly remember our Champions League victory in Lisbon in 2020, such a happy moment is never forgotten. For FC Bayern, the Champions League is the best club competition in the world."

I think it's a tad embarrassing that the current CL holders aren't on board, and if they and PSG aren't involved along with many others, how can it claim to be a true ESL. Arsenal and Spurs for goodness sake, who boost a grand total of zero EC/CL wins between them, so hardly 2 powerhouses in the European game are they.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 jtv

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:05 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 pm
They certainly have statement in full below.

Bayern Munich 'say no' to the ESL

Bayern Munich, who are the current holders of the Uefa Champions League, have released the following statement in the last hour:

FC Bayern Munich takes a closed position on the Super League. President Herbert Hainer says: “Our members and fans reject a Super League. It is our wish as FC Bayern and our goal that the European clubs live this wonderful and emotional Champions League competition and develop it together with UEFA. FC Bayern says no to the Super League. "

The chairman of the board Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms: “On behalf of the board I can expressly state that FC Bayern does not take part in the Super League. FC Bayern stands in solidarity with the Bundesliga. It was and is always a great pleasure for us to be able to play as the German representative in the Champions League. We all still fondly remember our Champions League victory in Lisbon in 2020, such a happy moment is never forgotten. For FC Bayern, the Champions League is the best club competition in the world."

I think it's a tad embarrassing that the current CL holders aren't on board, and if they and PSG aren't involved along with many others, how can it claim to be a true ESL. Arsenal and Spurs for goodness sake, who boost a grand total of zero EC/CL wins between them, so hardly 2 powerhouses in the European game are they.
Also helps dispel the claims that its about foreign ownership when PSG aren't interested in getting on board, yet 3 Spanish/fan owned clubs are.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:13 pm

Bayern Munich don’t need it, it’s as simple as that. Look at them, why would they agree to it? It wouldn’t make any sense. Same for PSG and I’d expect Manchester City to pull out of it of the current 12 clubs.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:38 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:00 pm
net debt is the result of gross debt offset by cash in hand and creditors. Both the Spanish giants have large salary payments every six months - players tend to get only 20%-30% of they wages monthly and lump sums for the rest every six months, naturally this is timed to fall after major TV and sponsor payments, so for a while the accounts are cash rich. Both clubs have long been known to declare their accounts at the cash rich moments. The money disappears within a week or so.

There has also been additional borrowings taken out since the accounts were published
Great, thanks CP.