Biden in London

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Re: Biden in London

Post by aggi » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:44 pm

Only two Chinooks for Biden this morning compared to 5 when Trump was in town. Make of that what you will.

grapidianclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 225 times

Post by grapidianclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:45 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:37 pm
The problem I have with that is that it breeds an apathy. Political arguments don't create change they just chuck out red or blue smoke bombs which are designed to cause confusion and hide the root problems. Politics generally divides and you only have to look at the arguments on here.
People become polarised by their political colour and cannot stray from the party line. It doesn't allow for free thinking and change.

So much time is spent at local and national government level arguing over petty political point scoring. Somehow we have to find a way to move forward, working together and sharing a vision rather than continually breaking each other into bits.
It will never happen.
Human nature unfortunately.
Politics has been this way forever.
If we could move forward together then wonderful, sign me up. We can not even agree on measures to save lives without killing each other.
Politics, in only my opinion, is just the crystallization of humanity, we have been fighting and killing since we crawled out of the ocean.
That will never change.
This user liked this post: Guller Bull

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:47 pm

Wondering if possibly we’re straying into politics…🤔

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:48 pm

I'm no fan of old people being completely out of their depth, but Biden is not out of his depth as US President

Its very telling that about the only things his opponents choose to attack him on are his son (who clearly is a bit of wrong 'un, but that doesn't affect Biden ability or any of his decisions) and his occasional lapses (which are going to happen)

Of course, it is not ideal that he's President now, but the lack of viable alternatives on either side is a real worry going forward

I don't have a problem with Republicans or Democrats, but the lack of a viable unifying figure is potentially catastrophic

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:49 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:26 pm
Huge "Trump won whatever the voters say and I'm so not over it" vibes on this thread
When trump won the first election there were libs kicking off left right and centre. I even recall a pathetic protest outside Burnley college :lol:

They whined and whined for 4 years. “TRUMP NOT MY PRESIDENT”

Media took any opportunity they could to slag him off especially when he broke ‘royal protocol’. I don’t recall the same when Biden does it.

grapidianclaret

Post by grapidianclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:50 pm

chekhov wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:47 pm
Wondering if possibly we’re straying into politics…🤔
Dont be silly.
Bordeauxclaret was talking about a new manager burning the turf down.
Thats football 100 percent.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

grapidianclaret

Post by grapidianclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:53 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:49 pm
When trump won the first election there were libs kicking off left right and centre. I even recall a pathetic protest outside Burnley college :lol:

Media took any opportunity they could to slag him off especially when he broke ‘royal protocol’. I don’t recall the same when Biden does it.
Very true.
I remember when the libs tried to overthrow the lawfully elected government in 2016, spurred on by the vengeful Hillary(lock her up) Clinton.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:55 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:49 pm

*checks thread*

*sees at least one other poster saying exactly that*

*shakes head slowly*

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:59 pm

grapidianclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:21 pm
We do share a level of agreement.
However, democracy is voting for the best of **** choices. Most people who do not vote are intelligent people who see the system for what it is.
But as a result, he best of bad choices loses, and the worst wins.
The 2019 electorate was just over 47 million. The turnout for the 2019 UK General Election was 67%, two thirds of those that could vote. You are saying that most of the 33% who didn't vote are intelligent people, who 'see the system for what it is'. Presumably then those that voted are less intelligent and cannot see the system for what it is.

How on earth can you justify your statement?

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/ge ... 9-turnout/

You can have some fun with these statistics based on your premise. For example people East Dunbartonshire are particularly stupid (80% turnout) whereas the most intelligent live in Blackpool South (57%). Old people are more stupid then younger ones, (by a small margin) and of the three main parties, Lib-Dems are the most stupid, Labour the cleverest (although what's clever about not voting for your favoured party I don't know).

And as for choices being merde, presumably you can do better? If people are unwilling to make the effort then we get the politicians we deserve.

As Churchill once said:

https://www.azquotes.com/author/2886-Wi ... /democracy

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 797 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:03 pm

grapidianclaret wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:45 pm
It will never happen.
Human nature unfortunately.
Politics has been this way forever.
If we could move forward together then wonderful, sign me up. We can not even agree on measures to save lives without killing each other.
Politics, in only my opinion, is just the crystallization of humanity, we have been fighting and killing since we crawled out of the ocean.
That will never change.
Sad but probably true.