What are Pace & The Board thinking now?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: What are Pace & The Board thinking now?

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:10 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:58 pm
Churlinov,Trafford.Vitinhio ,Twine,Bastien for a kick off.
Churlinov - £5 million ish, contract expires 2026
Trafford - up to £15 million ish plus addons, contract expires 2027
Vitinho - fee unknown, rumoured to be £1-2 million, contract expires 2027
Twine - £4-5 million ish, contract until 2026
Bastien - £800k, contract until 2025

Twine was unfortunate with injury in his first season with us so he’s a year behind in development compared to the rest

They’re all of a good age and we won’t lose money on them, but I’d love to hear why you think we will

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:11 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:07 pm
From this seasons signings I can currently only see Koleosho going for profit
See my other response

You’re generally a negative person when it comes to this sort of stuff, I’ve noticed, but the ages, contract lengths and development arc for the squad means we won’t lose money on them

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5095 times
Has Liked: 6925 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:27 pm

What are the board thinking ?
istockphoto-1025322292-612x612.jpg
istockphoto-1025322292-612x612.jpg (20.49 KiB) Viewed 3767 times

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:01 pm
A handful?

If we did, that would be made up on the sales of others so it would balance out and we’d be in profit
Make your mind up. You said we won't lose money on any of them! :lol:

Seriously though, I admire your unshakeable belief in something that nobody, not even the board of directors, knows just how it will pan out.

There's an element of risk involved in all transfers. Sometimes they don't work out and you lose some money. I'm not sure why that's such a controversial opinion for you.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:12 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:10 pm

Twine was unfortunate with injury in his first season with us so he’s a year behind in development compared to the rest

They’re all of a good age and we won’t lose money on them, but I’d love to hear why you think we will
No way will we get a decent amount of money back for Churlinov,it’s tough that he’s been seriously ill but he wasn’t good enough in the championship,Twine isn’t even rated by the Hull fans ,and any one whose willing to pay over £2 mill for Trafford will have been conned more than we were .Promising goalkeepers are 10 a penny look at the likes of Butland and Kirkland brilliant as kids but never made the step up.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 518 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:18 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:

I'll be willing to bet you a £50 donation to the charity of the boards choosing we won't make money on Churlinov.

You're guaranteeing profit so I'm sure you won't mind taking up this bet for a good cause?
This user liked this post: Westleigh

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1512 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:21 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:

I think you're being highly optimistic there.

No idea how we're getting near £5m for Churlinov considering he's barely played and when he has, hasn't looked up to scratch.
Trafford will need to improve markedly to recoup anything close to £15m.
Vitinho - ok, probably make our money back, but we're not talking jackpot.
Twine - potential, but I don't think he's setting the world alight at Hull
Bastien - low fee, maybe will make it back, but is he playing in Turkey? Heard nothing.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:24 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:03 pm
Make your mind up. You said we won't lose money on any of them! :lol:

Seriously though, I admire your unshakeable belief in something that nobody, not even the board of directors, knows just how it will pan out.

There's an element of risk involved in all transfers. Sometimes they don't work out and you lose some money. I'm not sure why that's such a controversial opinion for you.
We won’t lose money

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 1573 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:25 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:34 pm
Because they are more than likely going to have to be sold or loaned out in 7-8 months time
IF we were relegated I’d imagine it’d be largely squad fillers that’d leave (twines,mcnallys,costelloes etc).

There’s no need for a fire sale like last time, totally different squad and circumstances. Finances are fine so no big need for book balancing.

Most will stay for continued development.

May be different I guess if manager changes, which I wouldn’t expect to happen.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:27 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:21 pm
I think you're being highly optimistic there.

No idea how we're getting near £5m for Churlinov considering he's barely played and when he has, hasn't looked up to scratch.
Trafford will need to improve markedly to recoup anything close to £15m.
Vitinho - ok, probably make our money back, but we're not talking jackpot.
Twine - potential, but I don't think he's setting the world alight at Hull
Bastien - low fee, maybe will make it back, but is he playing in Turkey? Heard nothing.
Churlinov had that serious illness
Trafford - still young and will improve
Vitinho - doesn’t have to be jackpot
Twine - as I said he missed most of last season, but he’s also being played out on the wing now
Bastien - was getting game time but he’s been injured since mid October

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:30 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:18 pm
I'll be willing to bet you a £50 donation to the charity of the boards choosing we won't make money on Churlinov.

You're guaranteeing profit so I'm sure you won't mind taking up this bet for a good cause?
Why just Churlinov?
He had blood poisoning and is recovering from that because he lost both weight and muscle mass

Bit harsh to target just him, but I suppose you want a sure fire win to boost your ego and that shows me what kind of person you are

Sorry, not playing that one

When he’s fit, he’ll prove his worth and he’s got time yet

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1189 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:35 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:25 pm
IF we were relegated I’d imagine it’d be largely squad fillers that’d leave (twines,mcnallys,costelloes etc).

There’s no need for a fire sale like last time, totally different squad and circumstances. Finances are fine so no big need for book balancing.

Most might stay because they won’t get better offers than they are already on. It’s not a good indicator that are deemed unworthy to poach it’s a good indicator that other clubs aren’t interested & we are paying them over the odds because even though that they would be contractually tied in it wouldn’t be an insurmountable obstacle if another club offered the right sort of money, it’s a principle that’s universally applied with every players got a price.

brexit
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:37 pm

Aim for 19th Place and hope Chelsea and Man City get relegated

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:51 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:35 pm
Most might stay because they won’t get better offers than they are already on. It’s not a good indicator that are deemed unworthy to poach it’s a good indicator that other clubs aren’t interested & we are paying them over the odds because even though that they would be contractually tied in it wouldn’t be an insurmountable obstacle if another club offered the right sort of money, it’s a principle that’s universally applied with every players got a price.
Absolutely, every player will have their price but I’d expect most to stay/not be sold.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:52 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:30 pm
Why just Churlinov?
He had blood poisoning and is recovering from that because he lost both weight and muscle mass

Bit harsh to target just him, but I suppose you want a sure fire win to boost your ego and that shows me what kind of person you are

Sorry, not playing that one

When he’s fit, he’ll prove his worth and he’s got time yet
Because I'm not the one saying we will guarantee profit on all our players. I've picked one of our players, yet strangely enough you don't feel confident about it now. It's almost like you just take an extreme view to start arguments but don't actually believe what you're saying.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:55 pm

It is quite mental when you think about where we are now vs May.

There wouldn’t be so much debate if things looked at least a little sensible - even if we were this poor but when you have 11+ wingers, expensive players not making the match day squad, ‘director of matchday experience’/club throwing shade at the supporters then this is what you get….

- It really is indicative of the mess that’s been made.

We were probably as ‘aligned’ (to coin a Dycheism) as we had been as a club/fanbase et al since May 2009, all for 6 months to go by and now it’s approaching Laws at Barnsely territory.

Absolutely no one associated with BFC, even the happiest of happy clappers would have took where we are now after the Blackburn game and would have laughed at you if you’d have suggested it.

The narrative has gone from:
‘we can have a real go at it this year and who knows, we could be pushing towards midtable/top half’

‘first few games are a write off anyway’

‘Judge us after we have played some teams in and around us’

‘Well we don’t know, we could be even better in two years’

That is pure delusion and huffing copium to the extreme.

At least admit that it stinks instead of playing this ‘our fans have no patience’ nonsense.

One win in thirteen - it’s **** poor and if we go on anywhere near like we have then it will have been a catastrophic failure.
Last edited by CoolClaret on Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:56 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:51 pm
Absolutely, every player will have their price but I’d expect most to stay/not be sold.
The ones that impress or have itchy feet will be off in a flash, I’m not sure if there’s any consolation to be had that the 1s that are more likely to stay will be substandard.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:59 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:25 pm

I completely disagree, you’re forgetting the players interests. I suspect a large portion will be like Weghorst and have absolutely zero interest of playing in the championship.

Tresor for example i suspect will go back to Belgium and get some European football.
Odobert might drop with us, but again I suspect he will want to go back to Europe.
Muric will definitely leave as Trafford will still be number 1.
Ramsey will stay.
Berge will stay but wouldn’t be surprised if one of the newly promoted clubs tries to get him in on loan.
Amdouni will 100% leave. No way he will want to drop.

I also think the club will want to recoup a fair bit of last summers outlay.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:02 pm

On pace to go down as one of the worst ever PL sides and fans are salivating at the prospect of potentially selling massively underperforming players on for a profit.

Wtf?!

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:05 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:59 pm
I completely disagree, you’re forgetting the players interests. I suspect a large portion will be like Weghorst and have absolutely zero interest of playing in the championship.

Tresor for example i suspect will go back to Belgium and get some European football.
Odobert might drop with us, but again I suspect he will want to go back to Europe.
Muric will definitely leave as Trafford will still be number 1.
Ramsey will stay.
Berge will stay but wouldn’t be surprised if one of the newly promoted clubs tries to get him in on loan.
Amdouni will 100% leave. No way he will want to drop.

I also think the club will want to recoup a fair bit of last summers outlay.
Berge would leave I think, player ambition besides the club would actively look to offload all the highest earners with championship revenue.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:10 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:52 pm
Because I'm not the one saying we will guarantee profit on all our players. I've picked one of our players, yet strangely enough you don't feel confident about it now. It's almost like you just take an extreme view to start arguments but don't actually believe what you're saying.
You’ve picked the only one recovering from a major illness, like you’re playing it safe because you want to win

Pick Trafford if you want, I’m not betting on someone who’s had a serious/life threatening illness so recently

I’m confident we’ll make money on them all, but then again I’m not the doomsayer some of you love being :lol:

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:11 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:02 pm
On pace to go down as one of the worst ever PL sides and fans are salivating at the prospect of potentially selling massively underperforming players on for a profit.

Wtf?!
Salivating?

No, just discussing it

I know you’d rather we sold at a huge loss, but ain’t gonna happen

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:11 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:56 pm
The ones that impress or have itchy feet will be off in a flash, I’m not sure if there’s any consolation to be had that the 1s that are more likely to stay will be substandard.
We’ll see I guess. Think the squad will be trimmed for numbers bottom up as well as Cork/Jay moving on.

No pressure to sell unless valuations are met. They’ll always be exceptions that don’t want to play 2nd tier but in general we don’t have that many ‘finished articles’ like we did last time.

Very few players at the club I’d describe as substandard unless you refer to your Twines,Mcnallys,costelloes who are the most likely departees in my view.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:15 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:11 pm
We’ll see I guess. Think the squad will be trimmed for numbers bottom up as well as Cork/Jay moving on.

No pressure to sell unless valuations are met. They’ll always be exceptions that don’t want to play 2nd tier but in general we don’t have that many ‘finished articles’ like we did last time.

Very few players at the club I’d describe as substandard unless you refer to your Twines,Mcnallys,costelloes who are the most likely departees in my view.
I wouldn’t worry about pressure to sell in all honesty nobody would want them the way things are currently, it’s the other way around I’d be more worried about is how we can get rid of them.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:18 pm

Not really clear whether it's dafter to think we're going to make a profit on every player or to think we're going to sell the whole squad at a loss next summer.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:24 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:11 pm
Salivating?

No, just discussing it

I know you’d rather we sold at a huge loss, but ain’t gonna happen
The difference is I’m more bothered about having a team that can win a game - the rest will take care of itself.

Do that and perform a bit then we can talk about which player might have outgrown us and send them on their merry way

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:26 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:10 pm
You’ve picked the only one recovering from a major illness, like you’re playing it safe because you want to win

Pick Trafford if you want, I’m not betting on someone who’s had a serious/life threatening illness so recently

I’m confident we’ll make money on them all, but then again I’m not the doomsayer some of you love being :lol:
Not that confident if you shrank away when I suggested putting money on it :lol:

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:33 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:18 pm
Not really clear whether it's dafter to think we're going to make a profit on every player or to think we're going to sell the whole squad at a loss next summer.
It's a question that's impossible to answer until that juncture is reached, but with the way things are currently & if things don't change it doesn't brim you full of confidence that a stampede of clubs will be in pursuit of our players more the club trying to find ways of selling them or loaning them out anything to get them off the books.

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:50 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:15 pm
I wouldn’t worry about pressure to sell in all honesty nobody would want them the way things are currently, it’s the other way around I’d be more worried about is how we can get rid of them.
Made me chuckle on what has been a very poor day thus far.

Thank you, I’m not worrying at all 👍🏻👍🏻
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:56 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:55 pm
It is quite mental when you think about where we are now vs May.

There wouldn’t be so much debate if things looked at least a little sensible - even if we were this poor but when you have 11+ wingers, expensive players not making the match day squad, ‘director of matchday experience’/club throwing shade at the supporters then this is what you get….

- It really is indicative of the mess that’s been made.

We were probably as ‘aligned’ (to coin a Dycheism) as we had been as a club/fanbase et al since May 2009, all for 6 months to go by and now it’s approaching Laws at Barnsely territory.

Absolutely no one associated with BFC, even the happiest of happy clappers would have took where we are now after the Blackburn game and would have laughed at you if you’d have suggested it.

The narrative has gone from:
‘we can have a real go at it this year and who knows, we could be pushing towards midtable/top half’

‘first few games are a write off anyway’

‘Judge us after we have played some teams in and around us’

‘Well we don’t know, we could be even better in two years’

That is pure delusion and huffing copium to the extreme.

At least admit that it stinks instead of playing this ‘our fans have no patience’ nonsense.

One win in thirteen - it’s **** poor and if we go on anywhere near like we have then it will have been a catastrophic failure.
It’s a project with no time limit ,didn’t you know 😂😂😂😂 and wasn’t there something stated round about March that we were in a good position and could start planning for the Premiership well before the season ended.
Last edited by Westleigh on Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:57 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:53 pm
Hi Paul

Yes that’s correct in terms of the balance sheet impact and how amortisation of player assets is usually accounted for.
Hi Big V K, you've got banking experience, I understand. I'm sure you meant to say that amortisation is a profit and loss charge rather than "balance sheet." The club's balance sheet will show the amount owed to the selling club at the balance sheet date, and, of course, the remaining balance after all the amortisation charges, of the total value of the amount spent to acquire all the players' contracts at the same date.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 756 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:17 pm

We have a squad full of good up and coming talent. We have also massively ballsed up our recruitment in the summer.

For the sake of VK I hope we win on saturday and sneak a few wins before the halfway stage to give us a fighting chance. I'm not bothered about going down, but I'd like to see us show some fight and improvement (which we have in patches).

I believe in this "project" but my worry is, that the further down the line we go without picking up points, then his position becomes untenable, and we will have to start again.

Koleosho and Berge have stepped up to the plate recently, we need others to do so now, especially as our shining light Foster is now unavailable.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:22 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:57 pm
Hi Big V K, you've got banking experience, I understand. I'm sure you meant to say that amortisation is a profit and loss charge rather than "balance sheet." The club's balance sheet will show the amount owed to the selling club at the balance sheet date, and, of course, the remaining balance after all the amortisation charges, of the total value of the amount spent to acquire all the players' contracts at the same date.
Badly worded probably Paul but I meant in terms of the way the assets of players are treated on the balance sheet and the value applied post amortisation.
Yep understand the write down amount / amortisation charge is part of the P & L and try to explain it simply to people as the equivalent of depreciation on a fixed asset.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 864 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:32 pm

Any chance the accountancy talk can go on the financial thread ? I personally find it mind numbing and come on here for escape and to discuss football.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:26 pm
Not that confident if you shrank away when I suggested putting money on it :lol:
Where have I shrank away?
I’ve said I won’t bet on a man who’s recovering from a serious illness
Blood poisoning is a big deal, it’s what killed my dad ultimately

I’m fine betting on someone else like Trafford

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:15 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm
Where have I shrank away?
I’ve said I won’t bet on a man who’s recovering from a serious illness
Blood poisoning is a big deal, it’s what killed my dad ultimately

I’m fine betting on someone else like Trafford
I'm sorry to hear that.

Either way you named him above as a player specifically so I think it's fair to choose him.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:27 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:15 pm
I'm sorry to hear that.

Either way you named him above as a player specifically so I think it's fair to choose him.
He was named by someone else and I just referenced his contract, what we paid etc

Choose someone else or shush about the matter, you’re droning on now and it’s boring me

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:30 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:27 pm
He was named by someone else and I just referenced his contract, what we paid etc

Choose someone else or shush about the matter, you’re droning on now and it’s boring me
Choosing someone else would defeat the purpose. You've said we will make money on them all, I've picked one and you've baulked.

Let me know if you decide to put your money where your mouth is.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:31 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 pm
Hi Paul,

No I wasn’t referring to the amortisation treatment, just that in my experience the payments have tallied to the years on the contract. Wood - 2 years, 2 payments. I thought Pope was 4 years, 4 payments too from the Macquarie loans.

In any event, my point is that if we spent £96m - which seems about right - then only a proportion of that would’ve been payable up front. That might be £20m - £30m, depending on how we’ve structured the deals but it’s certainly not £96m outlay in one go.

Then further, as you say, there will be add-ons that will only be triggered if the players are successful. I heard the Trafford deal was nowhere near the reported fee in guaranteed payments for example.
Hi New, I've no found the time to take a look at the Macquarie loans advancing cash for both Nick Pope and Nathan Collins. I remember Nick Pope being spread over 3 further payments from Newcastle - and presumably, an equal down payment making 4 payments in total, working out a little less than £10 million. (I assume there could also be some add-ons). I'm not sure if I'd ever looked at Nathan Collins charge before, 3 payments, 2023, 2024 and 2025 each of £5 million due from Wolves and again, with an equal down payment the 4 would total £20 million. (I would assume the fact that Wolves sold Collins to Brentford doesn't change any of the timings of the further payments due to Burnley/Macquarie. Anyone know any different?).

Of course, these are outgoing transfers. Do we see similar "macquarie advances and security charges" when BFC is the buyer?

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:54 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:31 pm
Hi New, I've no found the time to take a look at the Macquarie loans advancing cash for both Nick Pope and Nathan Collins. I remember Nick Pope being spread over 3 further payments from Newcastle - and presumably, an equal down payment making 4 payments in total, working out a little less than £10 million. (I assume there could also be some add-ons). I'm not sure if I'd ever looked at Nathan Collins charge before, 3 payments, 2023, 2024 and 2025 each of £5 million due from Wolves and again, with an equal down payment the 4 would total £20 million. (I would assume the fact that Wolves sold Collins to Brentford doesn't change any of the timings of the further payments due to Burnley/Macquarie. Anyone know any different?).

Of course, these are outgoing transfers. Do we see similar "macquarie advances and security charges" when BFC is the buyer?
You would think that when Collins transferred to Brentford we would have received the outstanding balance due from Wolves.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3119 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:11 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:54 pm
You would think that when Collins transferred to Brentford we would have received the outstanding balance due from Wolves.
We’d effectively received it anyway, so any fees would’ve gone straight to Macquarie.

To my knowledge though, selling a player on doesn’t require the selling club to accelerate any outstanding payments.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:19 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:11 pm
We’d effectively received it anyway, so any fees would’ve gone straight to Macquarie.

To my knowledge though, selling a player on doesn’t require the selling club to accelerate any outstanding payments.
The terms would already be specified prior.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:23 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:31 pm

Hi Paul,

I think Pope signed a 4 year deal, with three instalments. I’m imagining the downpayment was £3m and there was then 3 further payments of £2.33m to make up the £10m.

With Collins, he signed a 5 year deal so I think the fee was £20m, 4x£5m.

That supports Boyyanno’s point that they are not all equal, but I’d be really shocked if we’d spent much more than £25-£30m.

Newcastle used to have a policy of paying all transfer fees up front under Ashley. Which might explain why he didn’t make many signings. I think everyone else pays on the drip like us.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:55 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:23 pm
Hi Paul,

I think Pope signed a 4 year deal, with three instalments. I’m imagining the downpayment was £3m and there was then 3 further payments of £2.33m to make up the £10m.

With Collins, he signed a 5 year deal so I think the fee was £20m, 4x£5m.

That supports Boyyanno’s point that they are not all equal, but I’d be really shocked if we’d spent much more than £25-£30m.

Newcastle used to have a policy of paying all transfer fees up front under Ashley. Which might explain why he didn’t make many signings. I think everyone else pays on the drip like us.
From what I remember of our accounts most of our transfer fees in the last 10 years or so we’ve been in and around the Premier League have been spread over 3 or 4 years.
As you say I think it’s pretty common practice amongst most clubs.

If a club does all the fee in one amount at the outset I’d imagine they would be incentivised to do so and this would be reflected in the transfer fee.

If a club receives £20m up front for a player and that club then uses that to buy new players over instalments of 3 or 4 years that it is quite a significant benefit.

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:01 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:11 pm

Yes the funds paid to us to then clear the advance.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:56 pm

Looks the like owners are going to stick with VK regardless now.

JJ Watt has said he’s not going anywhere on the Pat Mcnaffy show. Got to wonder what the hell there thinking.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:00 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:56 pm

JJ Watt has said he’s not going anywhere on the Pat Mcnaffy show. Got to wonder what the hell there thinking.
They are being smart and not listening to people on social media and on here
These 3 users liked this post: Burnley1989 Rick_Muller GodIsADeeJay81

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:08 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Very happy with that.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:08 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Link?

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:11 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Not really.