Planning to give up drinking in the New Year?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Planning to give up drinking in the New Year?

Post by Spijed » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Been teetotal for over three years now.
This user liked this post: boiledclaret

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by maidenover » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:35 am

Even though people have been drinking alcohol for thousands of years the liver has refused to learn to live with it. Once alcohol is consumed, the liver's first task is to get rid of it before attacking other sugars in the bloodstream. One pint of beer takes on average, and depending on ones' metabolism, general health and the alcohol content, between three and five hours to remove. Then it turns its attention toward other sugar processing, such as carbohydrates and other items high on the glycemic index. Imagine the livers task when ten pints are consumed. One or two sessions no big deal providing there is recovery time between them, otherwise blood sugar will eventually lead to serious liver and pancreatic problems as well as diabetes.

Take it seriously guys, I am flying back to England today because my brother passed away doing this.
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 Goodclaret

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2702 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:53 am

If I drink....'appen once a fortnight...I do it to get drunk...I've honestly never seen the point of drinking for any other reason.

If I go out and just have 2 or 3...all I get is sleepy and an urge to be getting up for a slash during the night..at least if I get legless I get a decent kip.

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:45 am

Clarinetclaret wrote:Sounds like you need to stop stuffing your fat Face rather than giving up drinking. 3 stone overweight!
I'll be posting an eating topic just after Christmas

ps - You're a prick.... I can diet

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 989 times
Has Liked: 1661 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Sutton-Claret wrote:Probably not the best site to bring up this topic...

I'm seriously considering giving up drinking in the New Year, and I don't mean just doing dry January.

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic - I only ever drink weak lager (Carling / Fosters etc) which doesn't tend to get me drunk, however I drink pretty much every night. Last night I had 8 cans of Carling and never normally have less than 4. I could probably do to lose about 3 stone and would like to do the Great North run again in September.

Anybody else with similar resolutions? Anybody else given up drinking? How did they do it? What did you replace alcohol with? (I hate fizzy sweet diet drinks)
At home,
Start by not drinking on school nights
Just drink on Friday and Saturday nights
You'll start to look forward to it and in my experience you eventually drink less on those nights too and enjoy it more.
When out,
Don't get in rounds with proper drinkers

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5099 times
Has Liked: 6938 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:39 pm

I drink less but better beers.

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 am

Haven't touched a drop so far......
This user liked this post: UpTheBeehole

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1046 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 am

Going back well over a decade I used to drink every single night of the week ( usually a full bottle of red). But over time I reduced it right down to where I only drink 1 day per week (usually a Saturday evening). The festive period is slightly different imo opinion where I will have back to back days of drinking, but now that that period is over I shall be back in to my normal routine.

The best thing I would suggest is a gradual reduction over a period of time. Instead of 4 cans per night have 2, then 1 then every other day and so on and so forth until you get to the level of consumption that you are comfortable with and want to be at

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

While not an excuse to drink more, for anybody who drinks often, consider taking Milk Thistle.

I have regularly blood tests due to medication I take and time after time the liver enzymes have dropped after taking Milk Thistle. Even the doctor admits its helping the liver but cant give thoughts as its not had long medical trials so he cant advise me to take it. It definitely helps though.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2242 times
Has Liked: 1619 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 am

Sutton-Claret wrote:Cutting out drinking in the house would be a good place for me to start - good advice
We normally ONLY drink in the house - it's far cheaper. I probably drink more than I should (mainly wine) but I've done far worse in my life and at my age now I'm not too bothered. I think too many people decide to stop in the new year as some kind of resolution. Stopping wouldn't make me happy and I keep myself fit anyway so my advice is do what you actually ENJOY not what you think you SHOULD do.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:53 am

Everything in moderation. If you can't go a night without booze you have a problem. It's a shame if people can't enjoy a drink without having to get completely drunk. It's also a shame if people have to stop altogether if they can't control it.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1054 times
Has Liked: 558 times

Post by Fretters » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:25 pm

It's harder to give up drinking at home than to give up going to the pub, for obvious reasons (the main one being that you can't stop going to your house!)

The best advice apparently is to make sure you still have a (non alcoholic) drink in your hand. Your brain misses the habit of holding a glass and supping from it more than you realise. It's not a bad idea to keep drinking from a pint glass, just fill it with water or sugar free cordial.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:29 pm

fatboy47 wrote:If I drink....'appen once a fortnight...I do it to get drunk...I've honestly never seen the point of drinking for any other reason.

If I go out and just have 2 or 3...all I get is sleepy and an urge to be getting up for a slash during the night..at least if I get legless I get a decent kip.
Drunk sleep is not proper sleep. Its bad for your body.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 pm

"I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic"

A common phrase.

There are many different types of alcoholic. Those who need a drink to start the day; those who need a drink in the evening to be able to relax, those who don't normally drink but when they do just don't know how to stop; as well as those who physically need the booze or they get the shakes etc etc

Good advice to take it slowly with short term targets and see how it goes.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2177 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Sutton-Claret wrote:Probably not the best site to bring up this topic...

I'm seriously considering giving up drinking in the New Year, and I don't mean just doing dry January.

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic - I only ever drink weak lager (Carling / Fosters etc) which doesn't tend to get me drunk, however I drink pretty much every night. Last night I had 8 cans of Carling and never normally have less than 4. I could probably do to lose about 3 stone and would like to do the Great North run again in September.

Anybody else with similar resolutions? Anybody else given up drinking? How did they do it? What did you replace alcohol with? (I hate fizzy sweet diet drinks)
I'd say if you cut that lot out, and don't replace it with sugary pop, that 3 stone will bloody fall off you

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2177 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:05 pm

Not unrelated, the thing that always gets me about Sanctimonious Dry January ideas, is do bar staff not have mortgages to pay in January etc? I'm uncomfortable with the wider country backing dry January when some pubs struggle to make ends meet, although you would hope that Xmas would cover them through the quiet start to the year.

I can imagine what any publican's view might be on the matter.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 pm

3 years ago I read an eye opening and very scarey article about how bad drinking alcohol on a regular basis is for you so I vowed there and then to give up reading articles.

Joking aside, although I usually have 3 or 4 dry days a week (except holidays) and don't really 'cane it' when I'm out I am definitely going to cut down and drink less in the house but can't see me giving up completely just yet.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1113 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:53 pm

The question you need to ask yourself is not what do I drink, but why do I drink. Find the answer to this and you are off to a good start.