Barry Kilby Prostrate Cancer Appeal

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Barry Kilby Prostrate Cancer Appeal

Post by Leisure » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Screenings at the Turf this Saturday from 10am to 1pm. £5 donation.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Re: Barry Kilby Prostrate Cancer Appeal

Post by basil6345789 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Do they take a full blood sample or just an end of finger prick? I'm on anticoagulants and have to be careful about bleeding.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Do you need an appointment?

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:58 pm

I went to the screening this morning and joined around 150 people in the queue.Mr and Mrs Kilby were also there to support the cause. Sonia/Sonya Kilby then offered the waiting crowd tea/coffee and biscuits. While Barry had time to chat to various people including me. Very well done to both of them.
Barry should be recommended for a Honour for his services to Charity, for the work he's done. I will look at the procedure for putting forward his name for such a deserving man
The pitch looked in great condition. I wondered if the Astro turf had been laid upto the edge of the pitch, but wasn't sure. Hopefully it has because over the season, with Refs assistant running up and down it, it take a lot of wear.
These 12 users liked this post: chekhov turfytopper Leisure RalphCoatesComb bfcjg yTib Spijed Juan Tanamera spadesclaret Croydon Claret Buxtonclaret HunterST_BFC

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Just over 400 attended today.
This user liked this post: Leisure

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:54 pm

I spoke to Barry two or three weeks ago. He told me to go down today but I had mine checked not too long ago.

Really good to see two of our directors having set up cancer charities.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for the info kk. I arrived at 10am, when I said 150. Some people were already being given the test, as they started around 9-45. I was told they'd to bring in extra medical supplies, due to the number who turned up. I hope everyone whose been tested today has no cause to have further tests.
I've made enquiries and followed up the suggestion i made in my earlier post.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:00 pm

basil6345789 wrote:Do they take a full blood sample or just an end of finger prick? I'm on anticoagulants and have to be careful about bleeding.
I'm currently on Clexane and have blood tests regularly. I'd presume it's the standard size needle for a blood test which shouldn't cause any issues. Alternatively, if you have any issues (or are a bit soft) ask for a butterfly needle when giving a sample.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6537 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Missed it again...

Next time eh?

Well done BK, and the club.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Midmoorclaret
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 703 times

Post by Midmoorclaret » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:30 am

bobinho wrote:Missed it again...

Next time eh?

Well done BK, and the club.
I hope for your sake Bob that you make it next time as you never know until it's too late. My father died from prostate cancer at 73 and I vowed then to have a PSA test every year which proved a life saver for me as I was diagnosed with it at 58. I had a complete prostatectomy followed by radiotherapy and have been clear ever since. I'm now 74 and still have a PSA test every 6 months.
These 5 users liked this post: bobinho Spijed nil_desperandum Stevie2112 HunterST_BFC

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6537 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 am

Wow. Did actually think about this, but dismissed it as me being a bit fatalist. I will definitely get to the next one, or maybe even ask my doctor for one. My grandfather died from this so it would make sense for me to get checked out.

Cheers for the nudge midmoor, and I’m glad you are in good health.
This user liked this post: Midmoorclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:22 am

bobinho wrote:Wow. Did actually think about this, but dismissed it as me being a bit fatalist. I will definitely get to the next one, or maybe even ask my doctor for one. My grandfather died from this so it would make sense for me to get checked out.

Cheers for the nudge midmoor, and I’m glad you are in good health.
See your GP
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum bobinho Midmoorclaret

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 am

Certainly not fatalist but having a high PSA does NOT mean you necessarily have prostate cancer and sadly having a normal PSA does not mean you do not have prostate cancer. PSA should be taken in the context of DRE of the prostate by someone who knows what they are doing and that is not on offer but BK's idea is a start.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:30 pm

mdd2 wrote:Certainly not fatalist but having a high PSA does NOT mean you necessarily have prostate cancer and sadly having a normal PSA does not mean you do not have prostate cancer. PSA should be taken in the context of DRE of the prostate by someone who knows what they are doing and that is not on offer but BK's idea is a start.
Was going to add to this earlier. Anyway, it's worth heeding MDD2's advice. Go and speak to your GP as they will be able to advise you whether it's worth taking the test. It's also worth speaking to your doctor about other blood tests. A full blood count is worth it, along with a Liver Function test and renal profile.

More importantly however, get your blood sugar checked to see whether you might be pre-diabetic.

Many illnesses are asymptomatic and are only discovered when it's too late.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:47 am

Currently on BBC 1 news

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:49 am

Good on him raising the profile of this form of cancer.

not waving
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by not waving » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Really good to see Barry on the breakfast news this morning. Speaks extremely passionately.

Two years ago I started to notice a higher frequency of toilet visits. Did nothing until a Sunday lunch where I drank a pint of coke which led to 5 stops during a 12 mile car journey to urinate by the side of the road.

My wife implored me to see a doctor. I did. A routine examination revealed a prostate enlargement. I am 63. PSA blood test arranged within 48 hours. I thought, that's efficient or I'm seriously ill. PSA result within 24 hours revealed higher count than it should be (normal is around 5, mine was 23). Appointment at hospital consultants a week later.

Tests included ultra scan to eliminate any kidney or urinary problem. Flow test using computerised urine flow machine revealed restricted flow. Bladder not completely emptying - hence, frequent toilet visits. MRI scan revealed BENIGN enlargement.

Benign enlargement is very common in my age group. Relieved to hear that word although I am on a daily tablet to keep things at bay and I have regular PSA blood tests. The last one showed a reduction to 17 from the previous test.

Am I free of cancer...for now. Will I get prostate cancer...who knows.

One thing I do know. I took the typical male view that the problem would 'go away'. I had no other symptoms (no pain, no blood in urine etc.) so assumed there was nothing wrong. It took that embarrassing car journey and the rightful intervention by my family to finally get me to do something. I eventually did what I knew I had to do and the issues are now managed.

I now know that the outcome could have been a lot worse.

If only one person bothers reading this and decides to have a test then it was worth it. For all those who have taken that step - good for you. And for your family.
These 5 users liked this post: ClaretAndJew Midmoorclaret Croydon Claret jtv HunterST_BFC

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Very revealing stuff there notwaving and glad it isn't the C word.

There is still a long way to go to get men to see doctors but a lot of good is being done and this screening by BK is fantastic.

I want a mental health intervention to take place, in a similar vein to this.
This user liked this post: not waving

Midmoorclaret
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 703 times

Post by Midmoorclaret » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 am

Good job you listened to your wife NW and I hope others take note of what you did before it's too late. Best wishes for the future.

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:07 am

I went to one of the first screenings they had at the Turf just over a couple of years ago. I didn't have any kind of symptoms that might have made me think there was anything wrong, I went because I felt that Barry Kilby was going to a lot of trouble setting all of this up and I wanted to support his cause.

I didn't really know what to expect when I went but it was all so simple, they took a little bit of blood from my arm and I filled in a form with my contact details.

Around a week to 10 days later I received a letter from them saying that my PSA reading was higher than it should be for a bloke of my age, and that I should make an appointment to see my GP.
My GP then had further blood tests done and then told me he was treating it as suspected prostate cancer.
It was a shock for me, I had no symptoms of any kind.
It's not something you think will ever happen to yourself.

For the next few weeks I was travelling constantly between my GP, Burnley General and Blackburn Royal.
Three months later I had my prostate gland removed, major surgery, 5 hour operation, 3 months recovery time before I could go back to work.

This was 2 years ago. I go back to see the consultant and have further blood tests done every 3 months for 5 years. So far everything has been going well, I appear to be cancer free, the consultant is very happy with my progress and so am I.

I am just very thankful for Barry Kilby and his screening sessions. So if anyone is a bit doubtful about whether they should go to one of these then push that doubt to one side and get yourself there. Chances are that you will be absolutely fine, I was one of the unlucky ones but if I hadn't gone it would have been a lot more serious for me a few years down the line.
My cancer was detected early which gave me a much better chance of long term survival. Don't leave it until its too late!
These 6 users liked this post: Midmoorclaret not waving Foshiznik Clevedon Claret HunterST_BFC bobinho

not waving
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by not waving » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:11 am

Thank you for your comments Targetman and Midmoorclaret. What now surprises me is why more men fail to attend a screening. Perhaps one or more of the following:

* Denial: anything wrong with me will simply go away on its own
* Delusion: if there is anything wrong I can control it - I'm a man, after all
* Fear: I don't need any doctor telling me if anything's wrong
* Ignorance: I don't have any symptoms, perhaps I don't have a prostate

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 am

I could fall into the last paragraph.. I would assume I have a prostate. I'm in good health overall at 65.that aside I know nothing about prostate cancer or its symptoms.

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Just got my result back today .

0.7ng/ml which is a green/normal result. One less thing to worry about.

Thank you Barry Kilby. :)
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:33 am

Just bringing this to the top again. This post prompted me to get a test via the Doctor, it came back today at 1.48 which I was told is in the "normal" threshold of 0-4 (I'm 64). I intend to make a note to have it done every 12 months. For those who've thought about it but not actually done it ring the Doctors NOW, not tomorrow and make an appointment, it's only a quick blood test.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:09 pm

Barry K will be at the Royal Dyche 4 until 7 this Friday the 9th, to sign copies of his book, on sale for his prostate fund.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:43 pm

I had to pick myself up off the floor when I read the thread title.
But obviously this is too sensitive a topic to point out the elephant in the room.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:57 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:43 pm
I had to pick myself up off the floor when I read the thread title.
But obviously this is too sensitive a topic to point out the elephant in the room.
Can you explain what you mean by that?

Ightenclaret
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by Ightenclaret » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:02 pm

He means the misspelling in the title ……

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:08 pm

Targetman wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:57 pm
Can you explain what you mean by that?
As ightenclatet correctly deduces I was pointing out the differenc in meaning between prostrate and prostate.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:12 pm

Ightenclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:02 pm
He means the misspelling in the title ……
I hadn't noticed!" :D