Fully Electric Cars

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6419 times

Re: Fully Electric Cars

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:16 am

1fatclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:50 am
Depends. Off peak charging on Tesla network is 40p pkwh
I get about 4 mile pkwh. At home I pay 10p pkwh so 2.5p per mile.

I get 8ppm from the company and save £600 a month on bik tax.

Absolute no brainer having paid company car tax for 25 years.
absolutely - I was being a little facetious in my reply ;)

it's horses for courses - what works for you may not work for me and vice versa. I can see the benefits of EV cars, and also the downsides. I can also see the benefits of ICE cars too and the obvious downsides. I do predict though that EV cars will be a relatively short-lived technology (in vehicle terms). ICE may not be as dead as some suggest either with synthetic fuels developing well.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:28 am

Give me a diesel anytime. Fill up and drive off, no waiting about to charge it plugging cables in at home. I’m not convinced that apart from those getting help via their company it’s any cheaper, greener for sure. For those that can afford to pay outright for an EV you’re laying out a stack of cash and are you really making a saving?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6901 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:38 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 am
The political aspects of this whole thread could be summed up by "electric cars are good for the rich but not yet suitable for the poor". If you can afford to buy a new car and have your own drive, then by all means get one. If you buy second hand or live in a terrace or a flat, then don't.
Not sure it's a rich/poor issue, you can get a brand new electric car for under £8k. You're absolutely right that they are suited to some people and not to others though. What is pathetic though is the desperate attempts to discredit electric vehicles based on blatant lies and misrepresentation of statistics like wrongo and some others have done. I don't understand what drives people to do that, what's their agenda?
This user liked this post: 1968claret

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:02 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:38 am
Not sure it's a rich/poor issue, you can get a brand new electric car for under £8k. You're absolutely right that they are suited to some people and not to others though. What is pathetic though is the desperate attempts to discredit electric vehicles based on blatant lies and misrepresentation of statistics like wrongo and some others have done. I don't understand what drives people to do that, what's their agenda?
What sort of car for £8,000? The first one I came up with on google was a Citroen Ami, range 46 miles, top speed 28 mph. You can't be talking about that as a practical car, surely. That;'s a second car runabout for people who can afford to have two cars for different purposes; back to the rich/poor issue.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:06 am

It's cold today and I only have a few miles charged. Got to leave home at 11 to make sure I am charged ok! Tough life but at least it is free!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:50 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:38 am
The fact of the matter is that at the moment they are just too expensive compared to their petrol or diesel counterparts.
Look at “entry” level cars for example - like minis, clios, Corsa etc. The electric versions were (I’ve not checked for a year or so) were all being sold for very similar prices of around £27k. The range and the spec on these cars is not great either.
If you want to step up to an Audi, Mercedes or equivalent then you are jumping up another 30k / 40k at least and again these cars whilst the range is better are much more expensive than their diesel and petrol equivalents.
The used car market mirrors these differences too.

As pointed out the majority of people I know who are getting electric cars are those doing it through their work scheme and the prime reason being the tax advantages. The feedback people I know invariably give me is that they are good to drive but that firstly it is a bit of a faff recharging and secondly they all say that the actual range they are getting on their car is quite a bit less than those advertised.

Until prices come down, charging point infrastructure is improved and the cars are improved then the uptake of electric cars will not be at the rate that some expected.
Petrol and diesel will be around for many more years to come….which personally disappoints me as this was a big opportunity to change things quicker than they seem to be.

And I’m not being negative about electric cars at all - it’s just my personal view that we could be in a better position than we are.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 109 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by BigGaz » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:34 am

clarethomer wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 pm
Read here about the way AWD works and supports better handling

https://rechargd.com/tesla-model-3-awd/ ... t%20wheels.

In essence, its not a permanent AWD system and uses it when it needs it. Therefore probably for a lot of time, you won't notice it as its not in use. May help in bad weather and accelerate a bit faster but having a RWD model 3.

I have coped with the recent bad weather with little issue in my RWD. The battery being across the bottom of the car, means that the weight distribution across the car helps with grip so its not like a rwd BMW for example. If you added winter tyres on, for me the AWD benefits lessens further for the bad weather for everyday use.

The other benefits for the long range, ignoring the bigger battery is that you will get a slightly better sound system and maybe premium mats I think and perhaps better interior lighting.

Do you pay for your own insurance, if so does the £40 include this because if not, you should also consider this in the cost.

For me, I went with the RWD 3 on the basis that the cost was about £160 more a month with the insurance increase included for the LR when I got mine. I haven't regretted it but if it had been £40 a month, I would have probably gone with it personally because of the additional range for the odd longer journey I can do.

Thanks very much mate, very comprehensive response and some useful information. Pondered over it with a cup of Horlicks before bed.

It’s a salary sacrifice scheme through work that I’ll be procuring the car via. Literally everything other than the ‘fuel’ is covered so the £40 covers everything. I would be getting access to a 21kwh charger at 14p per kwh too so perhaps worth just paying that little bit more, as the added cost is somewhat mitigated by the cheaper ‘filling up’.

I suppose I am quite privileged in a way, as not everyone will have access to do this but for me doing it in the way I’m about to alleviates a lot of the arguments against;

A 3 year lease, where I hand the car back at the end. No worries at all about depreciation, emerging technology, and plenty of time to assess whether it meets my families needs.

BigGaz
Been Liked: 109 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by BigGaz » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:40 am

I’m not having the charging faff by the way. 90% of the time you’re able to charge at home as part of your regular commute.

For me, that will look like running a lead to the port on the front of the house when I arrive home and then removing it when I leave home. No quicker or slower than going to a garage. If you’re defining that as a faff then so is going to the garage to fill up.

For other journeys, as an owner of an electric car that has done their due diligence, you are aware of the need to find somewhere to charge en route and to plan your journey accordingly. If you know you need to do this, and you purchased the car regardless, you are presumably ok with that trade off.
These 2 users liked this post: thomo27 1968claret

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:40 pm

The elephant in the room is the loss of income for vehicle servicing, which is why the up front cost is artificially inflated to ensure people pay the VMs for the cars over the lifetime (usually as a lease now). Historically there is a fair amount of servicing needed for ICE cars over the vehicle lifetime which is now considerably less (whatever Porsche bloke said in his video) for EV cars - they have to make money on them somehow right.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:51 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:02 am
What sort of car for £8,000? The first one I came up with on google was a Citroen Ami, range 46 miles, top speed 28 mph. You can't be talking about that as a practical car, surely. That;'s a second car runabout for people who can afford to have two cars for different purposes; back to the rich/poor issue.
Yes, obviously you won't get a top of the range electric car for £8000, just like you won't get a top of the range ICE car for £8000. The point I was making, and have demonstrated, is that this isn't a case of rich/poor. Electric cars have a higher purchase cost but a lower running cost, but less people seem to buy their cars outright these days (you'd have to be 'rich' to afford to buy a brand new ICE car anyway by your definition) so the up front cost in many ways is less relevant. But as you rightly point out, electric cars are suitable for some people and not others, likewise they are a cheaper option for some people but not others.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:57 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:50 am
The fact of the matter is that at the moment they are just too expensive compared to their petrol or diesel counterparts.
Look at “entry” level cars for example - like minis, clios, Corsa etc. The electric versions were (I’ve not checked for a year or so) were all being sold for very similar prices of around £27k. The range and the spec on these cars is not great either.
If you want to step up to an Audi, Mercedes or equivalent then you are jumping up another 30k / 40k at least and again these cars whilst the range is better are much more expensive than their diesel and petrol equivalents.
The used car market mirrors these differences too.

As pointed out the majority of people I know who are getting electric cars are those doing it through their work scheme and the prime reason being the tax advantages. The feedback people I know invariably give me is that they are good to drive but that firstly it is a bit of a faff recharging and secondly they all say that the actual range they are getting on their car is quite a bit less than those advertised.

Until prices come down, charging point infrastructure is improved and the cars are improved then the uptake of electric cars will not be at the rate that some expected.
Petrol and diesel will be around for many more years to come….which personally disappoints me as this was a big opportunity to change things quicker than they seem to be.

And I’m not being negative about electric cars at all - it’s just my personal view that we could be in a better position than we are.
I don't disagree with a lot of that - although I would argue that if you drive a Mercedes ICE you would not need to get an 'equivalent' brand electric car to get the same performance/spec of vehicle. Of course, as things stand, if you drive a Mercedes ICE and want to change to an electric Mercedes then you can reasonably expect to pay significantly more for it as the technology is superior and the running costs are lower.

But my question was why people knowingly use lies and misrepresented statistics in an attempt to discredit electric vehicles?
This user liked this post: 1968claret

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:08 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:57 pm

But my question was why people knowingly use lies and misrepresented statistics in an attempt to discredit electric vehicles?
I’m pretty sure that’s a rhetorical question but just in case it isn’t !!…..the size of the industry supporting petrol and diesel cars is one reason but a much bigger reason is those darn Saudis, Russians and most of all Yanks.

If you think there is a good degree of negativity, lies etc in the UK it’s absolutely nothing compared to what’s happening in America. In many states they will protect their right to diesel guzzling monster tank trucks almost as vehemently as their right to carry machine guns !!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:14 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:08 pm
I’m pretty sure that’s a rhetorical question but just in case it isn’t !!…..the size of the industry supporting petrol and diesel cars is one reason but a much bigger reason is those darn Saudis, Russians and most of all Yanks.

If you think there is a good degree of negativity, lies etc in the UK it’s absolutely nothing compared to what’s happening in America. In many states they will protect their right to diesel guzzling monster tank trucks almost as vehemently as their right to carry machine guns !!
It wasn't rhetorical, I just don't know why Joe Bloggs would knowingly post misinformation about electric cars on a Burnley forum. What is their aim?

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:26 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:14 pm
It wasn't rhetorical, I just don't know why Joe Bloggs would knowingly post misinformation about electric cars on a Burnley forum. What is their aim?
Oh apologies - I thought you were referring to people in general.
This forum - that one’s easy.
Stupidity, ignorance, gullibility- take your pick

Now that one was rhetorical wasn’t it ?!!!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:28 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:26 pm
Oh apologies - I thought you were referring to people in general.
This forum - that one’s easy.
Stupidity, ignorance, gullibility- take your pick

Now that one was rhetorical wasn’t it ?!!!
Haha, fair enough - that's probably correct.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 678 times

Post by Whitgord » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:51 pm

Just to throw in my experience. I have a plug in hybrid. It cost me about 8k to trade it on for my old ICE car. It was already 1 year old. In last year’s summer I was getting about 28miles from a full charge. This winter I do well to get 18! I am one of those people whose electric supplier went bust so I am now on the capped tariff of one of the big boys. They are not offering cheap EV (overnight) tariffs at the moment due to the “volatility of the market”. Therefore I am paying 33p per KWh. My car has a 14 Kw battery so costs about £3.50 to charge up in two hours each night. I have my own off road 7Kw charger. This alone cost just over £1000 to install. With the price of petrol coming down a bit I calculate that it is a toss up whether it is cheaper to charge it up or just use the petrol engine. Octopus are the only company offering cheap overnight tariffs (more expensive during the day though) but I calculate that I would need to also run some things like my dishwasher overnight as well to make the overall cost cheaper. Charging on the public network is a non starter cost wise as they want upwards of 45p per KWh. I would love to find some way of charging up for say 5p per KWh as you used to be able to.
Having said all this, the car is much nicer to drive in all electric mode (quieter and smoother).
The bottom line is, until electricity prices come down a lot then I will never recoup the initial costs of buying my ev.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:54 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:51 pm
Yes, obviously you won't get a top of the range electric car for £8000, just like you won't get a top of the range ICE car for £8000. The point I was making, and have demonstrated, is that this isn't a case of rich/poor. Electric cars have a higher purchase cost but a lower running cost, but less people seem to buy their cars outright these days (you'd have to be 'rich' to afford to buy a brand new ICE car anyway by your definition) so the up front cost in many ways is less relevant. But as you rightly point out, electric cars are suitable for some people and not others, likewise they are a cheaper option for some people but not others.
£8,000 for a second hand ICE car may not get you "top of the range", but it will get you a car that ravels just as far and just as fast (legally!) as the true top of the range. It's an adequate substitute. An £8k electric car is not an adequate substitute for a top of the range or a mid-range or bottom end ICE car; like for like, electric cars at present are simply too expensive for the less rich end of the market.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:15 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:54 pm
£8,000 for a second hand ICE car may not get you "top of the range", but it will get you a car that ravels just as far and just as fast (legally!) as the true top of the range. It's an adequate substitute. An £8k electric car is not an adequate substitute for a top of the range or a mid-range or bottom end ICE car; like for like, electric cars at present are simply too expensive for the less rich end of the market.
I used the £8k car as an example of the very bottom of the market, it was an example used to demonstrate that electric cars aren't just for rich people. You're now moving the goalposts - bringing used cars, range and speed into the equation. For some people range isn't an issue, so they could compromise with a smaller battery and trade this off with cheaper running costs. Also, less people buy cars outright, and the cost on a PCP or lease is far more comparable than using the overall RRP.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:43 pm

And don’t forget Rishi and his team will be currently working out when to introduce a new rule that all EV owners will be charged an amount per mile. They have to get the road fund tax somehow.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:49 pm

beddie wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:43 pm
And don’t forget Rishi and his team will be currently working out when to introduce a new rule that all EV owners will be charged an amount per mile. They have to get the road fund tax somehow.
All EV`s will pay road tax from 2025 from what I have heard ... the current zero rating is to get people to swap over

Burnley87
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:50 pm

Got my Tesla last December. Best decision iv ever made

It’s surprising how many service stations and areas have fast chargers now. I work on the road abit from Carlisle to Leeds and never had an issue.
These 3 users liked this post: thomo27 1968claret Bosscat

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:56 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:15 pm
I used the £8k car as an example of the very bottom of the market, it was an example used to demonstrate that electric cars aren't just for rich people. You're now moving the goalposts - bringing used cars, range and speed into the equation. For some people range isn't an issue, so they could compromise with a smaller battery and trade this off with cheaper running costs. Also, less people buy cars outright, and the cost on a PCP or lease is far more comparable than using the overall RRP.
Not quite the bottom of the market. You can still get a second hand Sinclair C5, which admittedly does only half the distance at half the speed, but would still be fine for the person you describe who wants a car but doesn't want to use it to go anywhere much. :)

The point still stands. An electric car is significantly more expensive than a petrol equivalent, especially for people who (through circumstances or from choice) buy second hand. Until prices come more into line, which may be some time bearing in mind the necessity to substantially increase the production of cobalt, lithium etc., then it's still not a practical proposition for someone on a tightish budget.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:23 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:56 pm
Not quite the bottom of the market. You can still get a second hand Sinclair C5, which admittedly does only half the distance at half the speed, but would still be fine for the person you describe who wants a car but doesn't want to use it to go anywhere much. :)

The point still stands. An electric car is significantly more expensive than a petrol equivalent, especially for people who (through circumstances or from choice) buy second hand. Until prices come more into line, which may be some time bearing in mind the necessity to substantially increase the production of cobalt, lithium etc., then it's still not a practical proposition for someone on a tightish budget.
:)

Whilst I like your Sinclair C5 example, a small range on an EV doesn't prevent people from going anywhere much, it just prevents how far they can go in any one uninterrupted trip. I know a number of people who probably never travel more than 40 miles in a round trip.

I agree with your second paragraph in part, unless the person on a tightish budget has high running costs which can offset the purchase cost of the car, which really isn't very far-fetched. For example (excuse the broad-brush figures);

ICE car monthly PCP = £300
ICE car monthly fuel costs = £200
Total monthly cost = £500

EV monthly PCP = £400
EV monthyl fuel costs = £50
Total monthly cost = £450

This boils down to your first point, which is what I actually responded in agreement to, in that EV's are ideal for some people, and not ideal for others.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:26 pm

BigGaz wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:34 am
Thanks very much mate, very comprehensive response and some useful information. Pondered over it with a cup of Horlicks before bed.

It’s a salary sacrifice scheme through work that I’ll be procuring the car via. Literally everything other than the ‘fuel’ is covered so the £40 covers everything. I would be getting access to a 21kwh charger at 14p per kwh too so perhaps worth just paying that little bit more, as the added cost is somewhat mitigated by the cheaper ‘filling up’.

I suppose I am quite privileged in a way, as not everyone will have access to do this but for me doing it in the way I’m about to alleviates a lot of the arguments against;

A 3 year lease, where I hand the car back at the end. No worries at all about depreciation, emerging technology, and plenty of time to assess whether it meets my families needs.
I would go for the Long Range in that situation. No brainer as you said.
This user liked this post: BigGaz

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:37 pm

Whitgord wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:51 pm
Just to throw in my experience. I have a plug in hybrid. It cost me about 8k to trade it on for my old ICE car. It was already 1 year old. In last year’s summer I was getting about 28miles from a full charge. This winter I do well to get 18! I am one of those people whose electric supplier went bust so I am now on the capped tariff of one of the big boys. They are not offering cheap EV (overnight) tariffs at the moment due to the “volatility of the market”. Therefore I am paying 33p per KWh. My car has a 14 Kw battery so costs about £3.50 to charge up in two hours each night. I have my own off road 7Kw charger. This alone cost just over £1000 to install. With the price of petrol coming down a bit I calculate that it is a toss up whether it is cheaper to charge it up or just use the petrol engine. Octopus are the only company offering cheap overnight tariffs (more expensive during the day though) but I calculate that I would need to also run some things like my dishwasher overnight as well to make the overall cost cheaper. Charging on the public network is a non starter cost wise as they want upwards of 45p per KWh. I would love to find some way of charging up for say 5p per KWh as you used to be able to.
Having said all this, the car is much nicer to drive in all electric mode (quieter and smoother).
The bottom line is, until electricity prices come down a lot then I will never recoup the initial costs of buying my ev.
In my view and experience, there is no logical reason for anyone buying a PHEV personally. The ONLY benefit is for company car drivers, and that benefit is, quite rightly) being removed. The vast majority of the time your PHEV is operating as a fossil fuel car but having to carry a huge battery around. The company car benefit is that for the emissions test, they calculate the co2 mainly on battery power depending on how many true ev miles you can do.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 678 times

Post by Whitgord » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:10 pm

The vast majority of my time sees the car running on electric mode alone. It is just a pain that electricity is so expensive now.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:43 am

Some need to look further than the end of their own nose!

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:41 am

Whitgord wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:10 pm
The vast majority of my time sees the car running on electric mode alone. It is just a pain that electricity is so expensive now.
On an 18 mile full charge? Ok. Not many people can survive on 18 miles without using their ICE engine. You’re clearly an exception.

enduroclaret
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by enduroclaret » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:03 am

I have a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Diesel.
I have to pay every clean air tariff and congestion charge. But surely I’m saving the planet by keeping it going and not scrapping it and buying a new electric car?

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:09 am

enduroclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:03 am
I have to pay every clean air tariff and congestion charge. But surely I’m saving the planet by keeping it going and not scrapping it and buying a new electric car?
Exactly.....

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:18 am

enduroclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:03 am
lets not forget that the government promoted the use of Diesel for many years with company car subsidies
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:04 pm

Picking up our E C4 Citroen today ... swapped an Auto C3 Citroen in for it ...

Home charging point being installed Tuesday.

🙂
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Wokingclaret

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:10 pm

When governments are spooked by scientists or medics and legislate overwhelmingly in a particular direction, are they acting rationally?
I've been fully electric since 2015, it's turned out to be a great choice for me, both economically and ease of driving.
It started as an economical decision, the rest is a bonus, I wouldn't go back.
The environment played no part in my decision given the levels of pollution from the likes of Russia, China and India. Even the 1 million plus log burners now polluting the atmosphere in our environment.
I know we have to make a start, but we are way behind changing our mentality to anywhere near the social responsibility for the environment demonstrated by a number of our European neighbours. Those countries I've mentioned, even further behind.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:16 pm

Had the 7.5 kw charger fitted today...

Filling up charge at under 10p a kwh on the Economy 7 rate.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:02 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:16 pm
Had the 7.5 kw charger fitted today...

Filling up charge at under 10p a kwh on the Economy 7 rate.
Happy days. Which charger did you get?

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:05 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:02 pm
Happy days. Which charger did you get?
OHME Home Pro tethered unit ...

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:15 am

Bosscat wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:05 pm
This might seem a silly question (I know very little about it) but how do you secure this so that nobody else can use it? Is it PIN protected or does it need switching on from inside a house or activating by a mobile phone etc? There has to be some sort of security so it's not jus a free-for-all and anybody can use them.

I am looking into the Ford Kuga PHEV so may need an outside wall mounted EV charging point.

GaryClaret
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 229 times

Post by GaryClaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:29 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:15 am
This might seem a silly question (I know very little about it) but how do you secure this so that nobody else can use it? Is it PIN protected or does it need switching on from inside a house or activating by a mobile phone etc? There has to be some sort of security so it's not jus a free-for-all and anybody can use them.

I am looking into the Ford Kuga PHEV so may need an outside wall mounted EV charging point.
You can buy a lock accessory for our podpoint but we haven't bothered. There isn't much point worrying about this as the charging at home is so slow at 7 kWh. Apart from that the charging schedule can be fixed, via the podpoint app, to take advantage of cheaper off peak rates (e.g. Octopus Go is 12:30-4:30am) So it's not as if someone rocks up to your house and plugs in that it's actually going to charge as I've set it to only charge in off peak times. If I was on holiday I could change the schedule so that it never is available to charge so if some mad person did plug in then the box wouldn't do anything....even in off peak times. Again I probably wouldn't bother as someone parking in my drive and plugging into our charger would be pretty unusual behavior to cater for.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:36 am

GaryClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:29 am
You can buy a lock accessory for our podpoint but we haven't bothered. There isn't much point worrying about this as the charging at home is so slow at 7 kWh. Apart from that the charging schedule can be fixed, via the podpoint app, to take advantage of cheaper off peak rates (e.g. Octopus Go is 12:30-4:30am) So it's not as if someone rocks up to your house and plugs in that it's actually going to charge as I've set it to only charge in off peak times. If I was on holiday I could change the schedule so that it never is available to charge so if some mad person did plug in then the box wouldn't do anything....even in off peak times. Again I probably wouldn't bother as someone parking in my drive and plugging into our charger would be pretty unusual behavior to cater for.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know that there are ways of securing when the charge point can be live - this would solve any issues.

I understand what you are saying about it being strange behaviour and I agree. However, I live on quite a secluded lane and don't have any close neighbours so when we're all out/away it would be quite easy for someone just to park up and charge their car without looking silly/suspicious.

GaryClaret
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 229 times

Post by GaryClaret » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:49 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:36 am
Thanks for the reply. Good to know that there are ways of securing when the charge point can be live - this would solve any issues.

I understand what you are saying about it being strange behaviour and I agree. However, I live on quite a secluded lane and don't have any close neighbours so when we're all out/away it would be quite easy for someone just to park up and charge their car without looking silly/suspicious.
Yep can understand the concern but I'd just reiterate that the charging rate is so slow at home vs say the chargers you would see at a service station. You'd have to have your car at someone's house for hours. Would someone rationally park at someone else's house, plugin, go for a long walk and come back after the 4/5 hours it'd need to get meaningful mileage? All for the sake of avoiding the £2.80 they'd pay if they had a charger at home on an EV specific tariff? I just can't see it when they've made the decision to pay so much for the EV but I may be wrong!

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:27 am

Bosscat wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:05 pm
That's good - I have the original intelligent charger. It gives me access to the Intelligent Octopus/Octopus Go tariff (don't have Eco 7).

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:31 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:36 am

I get a notification on my app if charging is started. If I wasn't expecting it, I can stop the charge from my App easily and control from there.

As an unnecessary additional measure, I also have a camera over my driveway where I can talk to people through it so I could easily tell them to move on or I'm calling the police if that was happening.

There is no point with home chargers trying to use it as you can only add 30-33 miles of range per hour you are sat there. If someone was that desperate for a charge to get them to the next charger, I would probably be ok with it if they asked me first as they would only need a 10 min charge to get enough miles to get to a decent number charger close by

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:47 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:27 am
That's good - I have the original intelligent charger. It gives me access to the Intelligent Octopus/Octopus Go tariff (don't have Eco 7).
👍

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:54 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:15 am

I have it locked via the App ... so it will not work unless approved ...
20230222_135120.jpg
20230222_135120.jpg (226.49 KiB) Viewed 900 times

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:39 pm

Well here we are, week 1 in the UTC Electric Car owners group.

Home charger was fitted on Tuesday ... several journeys made (shopping trip on Wednesday to Skipton and Settle Surgery this morning for Mrs BC blood test) love it...

Looking to come to TM tomorrow in it for the Hudds match...

The Centre Spot
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by The Centre Spot » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:04 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:39 pm
Well here we are, week 1 in the UTC Electric Car owners group.

Home charger was fitted on Tuesday ... several journeys made (shopping trip on Wednesday to Skipton and Settle Surgery this morning for Mrs BC blood test) love it...

Looking to come to TM tomorrow in it for the Hudds match...
Congratulations and welcome to the club.
In addition to the benefits, they're actually really nice to drive, would never want to go back to manual gears.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:38 pm

I've now got my Light Hybrid. Great. The dealer (its a German car) told me that they have lost money on every electric car sale. They are having to reduce prices by 8 and 9k. Simply, its not going to happen.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:39 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:38 pm
I've now got my Light Hybrid. Great. The dealer (its a German car) told me that they have lost money on every electric car sale. They are having to reduce prices by 8 and 9k. Simply, its not going to happen.
Bet you a million pounds it does

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:49 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:39 pm
Bet you a million pounds it does
You wont be around then. Me too probably.

Have you got a million?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:10 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:49 pm
You wont be around then. Me too probably.

Have you got a million?
I wish!

I think we both will be around though

Look, you know its going to happen and that it has to happen

Why pretend otherwise?