ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:09 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:31 am
Why is that 20% different from the other 80%?

(obviously in as simple terms as possible please!)
80% are just crap projects with no real utility in the real world other than just being 1 of thousands of online currencies.

The 20% is changing the internet as we know it. You have probably heard of terms like Metaverse thrown around. Effectively the next stage of the internet is going to be the metaverse, soon a large section of the worlds population will be working in the metaverse. If you get chance read up on it, it’s one of the most interesting things I have ever looked into.

The mass adoption of the 20% is happening and will only grow more and more each year. As Bill Gates recently said, in the next few years every business meeting will take place on the metaverse
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:09 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:51 am
So you could lose everything and there is absolutely no comeback?

That is both crypto and NFTs?
That is with everything though.

I'm not a crypto expert, I have no idea about it really. So I'm not educated enough to give much of an opinion, I'm not into NFT's either. I'm just a SoRare expert and think the platform/idea is revolutionary stuff.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:13 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:06 am
What do you mean with links and facts? I've just broken down the entire business model, it's easily available for you to research yourself. I've been deep in SoRare for over 6 months as a user and viewer, I'm not sure how you can say I ''don't have a scooby doo what I'm talking about'' on this subject, nor do I see how you would be in a position to judge that.
No, you are quite right and I apologise

Is your experience limited to that six months though?

There is probably quite a lot more to learn

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:20 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:13 am
No, you are quite right and I apologise

Is your experience limited to that six months though?

There is probably quite a lot more to learn
Of course there is always more to learn, SoRare is a weird one because you can use it as a day trading platform or a longer term trading site but it's effectively a fantasy football game, I look at everything in £, some look at everything in ETH.

I watched closely for 3 months before buying my first team. It's fun buying a team of players, entering it into a weekend/midweek 3 day tournament and watching the players play hoping they score well (on the OPTA matrix). The better your team does, the higher valued card you win, you can then sell/use/trade that card on a natural market for others who want to use that player in their team. There's like Asian only league tournaments, so J and K league players. Different scarcities for different tournaments etc. My football knowledge has gone through the roof, I had an AZ Alkmaar team of players, so watched every AZ game.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:24 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:20 am
Of course there is always more to learn, SoRare is a weird one because you can use it as a day trading platform or a longer term trading site but it's effectively a fantasy football game, I look at everything in £, some look at everything in ETH.

I watched closely for 3 months before buying my first team. It's fun buying a team of players, entering it into a weekend/midweek 3 day tournament and watching the players play hoping they score well (on the OPTA matrix). The better your team does, the higher valued card you win, you can then sell/use/trade that card on a natural market for others who want to use that player in their team. There's like Asian only league tournaments, so J and K league players. Different scarcities for different tournaments etc. My football knowledge has gone through the roof, I had an AZ Alkmaar team of players, so watched every AZ game.
Right

So that is a like a crypto version of fantasy football?

And I take it you trade and buy players using crypto currency, and you make money on whether the players get better or worse (or is based on league position?)

Isn't that really similar to football index, which collapsed and everyone (except the founders) lost everything?
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:35 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:24 am
Right

So that is a like a crypto version of fantasy football?

And I take it you trade and buy players using crypto currency, and you make money on whether the players get better or worse (or is based on league position?)

Isn't that really similar to football index, which collapsed and everyone (except the founders) lost everything?
No it's nothing like FI, FI was an unsustainable model from the jump, the card scarcity means SR have full control over the amount of cards available, there's no risk of over supply. The Blockchain aspect means everything is public, all trades are public, you can't manipulate the market like people were doing on FI. SR has FULL league licencing and raised 700M in Series B funding.

Yes it's fantasy football, I've never ever though about crypto though, I value everything in £ and deposit/withdraw £. Some people think in crypto.

The players price on SR is determined by scarcity, demand for tournament play, injury, form, etc.

I think the biggest difference is, SoRare pay X amount of cards as prizes, it doesn't cost them anything to issue you a reward, FI was paying out dividends which is cash out of their pocket essentially. FI was just a crappy gambling pump and dump manipulation website, I rightly stayed away from that crap.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:42 am

Right, I think I get that

So its not crypto solo, you can choose to put in or take out your money in pounds, euros or crypto?

And these tokens that are handed out, these are NFTS?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:50 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:42 am
Right, I think I get that

So its not crypto solo, you can choose to put in or take out your money in pounds, euros or crypto?

And these tokens that are handed out, these are NFTS?
Yes, I deposit in £ and solely look at player values in £ when buying/selling.

Tokens? you mean rewards? these are cards (classed as NFT because they're on the blockchain). If SoRare's pockets were draining when they were paying out rewards(like FI), it would be a ponzi scheme imo, because SoRare pay out in cards (it costs them barely anything to issue you a card reward), It's not ponzi. Those cards could have any value, obviously it benefits SoRare for the market to be healthy and those cards worth more. They control all supply and there are various ways for them to suddenly increase demand in X player.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:52 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:50 am
Yes, I deposit in £ and solely look at player values in £ when buying/selling.

Tokens? you mean rewards? these are cards (classed as NFT because they're on the blockchain). If SoRare's pockets were draining when they were paying out rewards(like FI), it would be a ponzi scheme imo, because SoRare pay out in cards (it costs them barely anything to issue you a card reward), It's not ponzi. Those cards could have any value, obviously it benefits SoRare for the market to be healthy and those cards worth more. They control all supply and there are various ways for them to suddenly increase demand in X player.
Cheers for that

But all this is unregulated and there is absolutely no comeback if anything goes wrong?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:03 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:52 am
Cheers for that

But all this is unregulated and there is absolutely no comeback if anything goes wrong?
The gambling commission looked into it months ago, they must not deem it gambling (which it isn't imo). Football Index was fully regulated btw and thousands lost everything. Gaming is a weird one right, Fifa Ultimate Team resets every year but EA make billions a year from people buying FIFA coins, people can't then recoup real money from spending on FIFA.

I fully back SoRare, I don't see how it could go wrong really, their model seems to have a tweak for every possible outcome. Maybe the biggest concern would be, what if demand drops for certain cards, they could then release a new tournament requiring those cards only etc. If the market becomes over supplied with X card, they can pause auctions and rewards on that card for X amount of time.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:07 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:03 pm
The gambling commission looked into it months ago, they must not deem it gambling (which it isn't imo). Football Index was fully regulated btw and thousands lost everything. Gaming is a weird one right, Fifa Ultimate Team resets every year but EA make billions a year from people buying FIFA coins, people can't then recoup real money from spending on FIFA.

I fully back SoRare, I don't see how it could go wrong really, their model seems to have a tweak for every possible outcome. Maybe the biggest concern would be, what if demand drops for certain cards, they could then release a new tournament requiring those cards only etc. If the market becomes over supplied with X card, they can pause auctions and rewards on that card for X amount of time.
Cheers for the info mate, but I don't think I'm reassured enough about this kind of thing
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:34 pm

KRBFC wrote:

Has the gambling commission enquiry come to a conclusion?

and yes the made a right pig's ear of Football Index, with plenty of sources telling that they had got it wrong way ahead of the collapse

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:44 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:34 pm
Has the gambling commission enquiry come to a conclusion?

and yes the made a right pig's ear of Football Index, with plenty of sources telling that they had got it wrong way ahead of the collapse
The commission have yet to finish their investigation or announce their findings.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:31 pm

KRBFC wrote:

What happens if the various leagues won't sell their image rights? What happens if the fashion for playing this particular game goes out of fashion and card values drop like a stone? What happens if this "Blackpool" consortium cashes in and sells up, instantly or in dribs and drabs, thus flooding the market? What if Sorare isn't as honest as you think it is? What if Sorare has financial troubles and stop running the program?

If you can't see how it could go wrong, buying an intangible bit of computer code via an unregulated foreign company for half a million quid, then you have a limited imagination I'm afraid. There are plenty of ways it could go wrong. The most likely IMO being that there is no longer a flood of new players coming into the game and the player prices stagnate or fall as the game ceases to be the new fad.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:51 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:31 pm
What happens if the various leagues won't sell their image rights? What happens if the fashion for playing this particular game goes out of fashion and card values drop like a stone? What happens if this "Blackpool" consortium cashes in and sells up, instantly or in dribs and drabs, thus flooding the market? What if Sorare isn't as honest as you think it is? What if Sorare has financial troubles and stop running the program?

If you can't see how it could go wrong, buying an intangible bit of computer code via an unregulated foreign company for half a million quid, then you have a limited imagination I'm afraid. There are plenty of ways it could go wrong. The most likely IMO being that there is no longer a flood of new players coming into the game and the player prices stagnate or fall as the game ceases to be the new fad.
Blackpool is 3 users, they don't have the ability to flood the market.
There's 12 leagues tied in, with contracts for 3 years for full licencing and many more to come.
Why would it suddenly go out of fashion? it's been around for over 2 years and still growing daily, I don't see fantasy football fading anytime soon nor is it a new fad.
SoRare is on the blockchain, it's all public info for those to see.
Where does financial trouble come from though? they're making an absolute fortune and paying out in cards that costs them nothing to reward.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:56 pm

They're making so much money, they don't even auction the full scarcity of cards each year nor do they take ANY fees from secondary market sales, they even cover ALL gas fees on ALL cards.

That's 3 ways they could instantly change and make even more money, their model is water tight, they've boxed off every potential failing.

The only potential failure could be if Vladimir goes nuclear and ends the world

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:00 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:51 pm
There's 12 leagues tied in, with contracts for 3 years for full licencing and many more to come.
Why would it suddenly go out of fashion? it's been around for over 2 years and still growing daily, I don't see fantasy football fading anytime soon nor is it a new fad.
Where does financial trouble come from though? they're making an absolute fortune and paying out in cards that costs them nothing to reward.
The article above said that Blackpool owned about half of the most valuable cards. They could flood the market if they wanted to.

Contracts for three years? IMO that does not give a guarantee that in 4 years' time your expensive intangible computer code will still work.

Why did bow ties and bustles go out of fashion? Because they did. Anything that involves spending large amounts of money on non-essentials has always got a risk of going out of fashion.

So the records are public. So what? It makes it easier to see that you've been robbed after the event; it doesn't stop the robbery.

"Making an absolute fortune" does not mean you can't go bust. What if the owners, whoever they may be, are taking out an even larger fortune than they are making? I bet this blockchain-public information doesn't extend to looking at the financial records of the company.

I'm not saying they will go bust, I'm not saying they won't, I'm not making any judgement about this company because I don't know them. All I'm doing is pointing out that if anyone believes that a certain company - any company - cannot possibly stop making vast piles of money for themselves and all their customers - then they need to think again. Plenty of things could go wrong.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:

The Ponzi top trumps was a joke but there are some huge risks associated with their model.

The primary risk is what happens when the leagues, clubs, players, etc decide to sign up with someone else? There won't be long-term contracts in place (probably 3 years, maybe as low as 2 or as long as 5). If you strip out the whole of the Bundesliga or EPL or similar then what is your unique Mo Salah card going to be worth as people head to the new platform? Or what happens to the value of your Zlatan Ibrahimovic card when he disputes the right to use his image.

Obviously the links to a ponzi scheme are that for these things to have values and for player trading to work there needs to be someone willing to buy it. Just look at the recent news about the plummeting value of the NFT of the first tweet for what happens when that market doesn't exist. There's also the "affiliates" who get rewards for bringing more people in.

Also, the later you get in the more it's going to cost. You're competing against quants like Blackpool so there's a vicious circle of those who came in on the ground floor just accumulating more cards (and the associated option to manipulate the market).

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:17 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:00 pm
The article above said that Blackpool owned about half of the most valuable cards. They could flood the market if they wanted to.

Contracts for three years? IMO that does not give a guarantee that in 4 years' time your expensive intangible computer code will still work.

Why did bow ties and bustles go out of fashion? Because they did. Anything that involves spending large amounts of money on non-essentials has always got a risk of going out of fashion.

So the records are public. So what? It makes it easier to see that you've been robbed after the event; it doesn't stop the robbery.

"Making an absolute fortune" does not mean you can't go bust. What if the owners, whoever they may be, are taking out an even larger fortune than they are making? I bet this blockchain-public information doesn't extend to looking at the financial records of the company.

I'm not saying they will go bust, I'm not saying they won't, I'm not making any judgement about this company because I don't know them. All I'm doing is pointing out that if anyone believes that a certain company - any company - cannot possibly stop making vast piles of money for themselves and all their customers - then they need to think again. Plenty of things could go wrong.
The above article is like I said, bullshit by a bullshit journo with an agenda, who didn't even do his research. Blackpool do not own half of the most valuable cards, nor are they most valuable cards the most desirable. The top end of the game, the top division, is very much a closed shop in which Blackpool operate.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:27 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:05 pm
The Ponzi top trumps was a joke but there are some huge risks associated with their model.

The primary risk is what happens when the leagues, clubs, players, etc decide to sign up with someone else? There won't be long-term contracts in place (probably 3 years, maybe as low as 2 or as long as 5). If you strip out the whole of the Bundesliga or EPL or similar then what is your unique Mo Salah card going to be worth as people head to the new platform? Or what happens to the value of your Zlatan Ibrahimovic card when he disputes the right to use his image.

Obviously the links to a ponzi scheme are that for these things to have values and for player trading to work there needs to be someone willing to buy it. Just look at the recent news about the plummeting value of the NFT of the first tweet for what happens when that market doesn't exist. There's also the "affiliates" who get rewards for bringing more people in.

Also, the later you get in the more it's going to cost. You're competing against quants like Blackpool so there's a vicious circle of those who came in on the ground floor just accumulating more cards (and the associated option to manipulate the market).
the EPL are not licenced on there yet, their vision is to get the top 20 leagues signed up, so far they've got 11 or 12. Here's the good thing, those old cards remain in the game, so for example Lyon were licenced in the game, Cornet has a Lyon card right now, that scores for his Burnley performances. Same with Weghorst and his Wolfsburg cards.

I think it's totally unrealistic to suggest suddenly all those licences wont be renewed and more wont be added. The Bundesliga was full licenced and added 6 months ago, the site was booming before the Bundesliga was added. So there's your answer

SoRare do not need auctions to sell, to give out rewards. That's fake news

There are affiliates yes, they take a 10% cut on all refered users for 1 year, not an issue.

The later you get in the more it will cost? slightly true but still fake news. The European market has dropped with the season ending, it will rise again closer to season restart. Austria and Russian had a winter break where the same happened, people sold before the break and bought again when it restarted. Same with the MLS last season, some cards 10x in value if you had the patience to wait 2-3 months during the off season.

As for competing with Blackpool, not quite, there are different leagues, different divisions in each league, Blackpool's main focus is the very top of Division 1, so unless you're willing to spend a million £ off the bat, you're not really in direct competition with them. I don't think Blackpool play Division 5 at all.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:38 pm

You really need to understand and have experience on the platform to really debate me on this, reading a few debunked poo poo'd Athletic articles full of fake news doesn't really cut it. Nor do I find ''they're suddenly gonna lose all licencing'' as realistic or even worthy of debate.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:30 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:38 pm
You really need to understand and have experience on the platform to really debate me on this, reading a few debunked poo poo'd Athletic articles full of fake news doesn't really cut it. Nor do I find ''they're suddenly gonna lose all licencing'' as realistic or even worthy of debate.
It doesn't need to be sudden. If it's gradual as contracts run out, or if in 10 years' time the various leagues decide to run this game themselves or to sell the rights to a different provider, that would have the same effect - all existing "investments" would be worthless.

I don't see how playing the game can possibly give you an intimate knowledge of how the game owners, and the players, and the various leagues will act in the future. And just like with ALL investments, anyone who says this thing will go on for ever and will increase in value and will pay more and more dividends, is a crook or a fool. All investments can go down as well as up, and this is not blue chip by a long long way.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:47 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:30 pm
It doesn't need to be sudden. If it's gradual as contracts run out, or if in 10 years' time the various leagues decide to run this game themselves or to sell the rights to a different provider, that would have the same effect - all existing "investments" would be worthless.

I don't see how playing the game can possibly give you an intimate knowledge of how the game owners, and the players, and the various leagues will act in the future. And just like with ALL investments, anyone who says this thing will go on for ever and will increase in value and will pay more and more dividends, is a crook or a fool. All investments can go down as well as up, and this is not blue chip by a long long way.
You're looking at it from the wrong angle, it's a fantasy football GAME.
SoRare don't pay dividends, they pay you in cards, that cost them nothing to reward. You can then opt to sell/trade those cards on a secondary market which is in it's best interest SoRare keep healthy, a market they have FULL control over.

Varying factors determine card price, timing the market is important of course. If Mbappe does his ACL today, sure his cards will take a temporary dip, long term I'd be convinced his cards will only go up in price though. Scarcity is huge in maintaining price, Unique (1 card per season), Super Rare (10 per season), Rare (100 per season), Limited (1000 per season), those are maximums too, I think in this current season only 250/1000 Mbappe Limited cards have been issued via auction and rewards.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:54 pm

£48,754 was the price Mbappe's last issued Unique (1 per season) card sold for on 29/11/2020, that was his 2020-21 season card. His current 2021-2022 season Unique (1 per season) is currently live on auction. Haaland's current season Unique sold for over £500,000, I'd estimate this Mbappe will go close to £600,000.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:26 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:38 pm
Why is losing the licensing not realistic? The Premier League are currently agreeing an NFT deal, assuming it isn't with SoRare that will wipe out any chance of new Premier League player cards (and I also wouldn't be too surprised if there are restrictions on secondary trading post contract expiration).

There are countless examples of licensing changes:

Man Utd choose a partner to do all their merchandising with. For many years this was Nike, a few years ago they switched to Adidas.
Liverpool recently ended up in court for switching from New Balance to Nike as the Nike deal was much more lucrative (Liverpool won).
Panini lost the Euros after 45 years.

But Sorare, who are operating in a very young market, are never going to suffer such a problem?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:54 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:26 pm
Why is losing the licensing not realistic? The Premier League are currently agreeing an NFT deal, assuming it isn't with SoRare that will wipe out any chance of new Premier League player cards (and I also wouldn't be too surprised if there are restrictions on secondary trading post contract expiration).

There are countless examples of licensing changes:

Man Utd choose a partner to do all their merchandising with. For many years this was Nike, a few years ago they switched to Adidas.
Liverpool recently ended up in court for switching from New Balance to Nike as the Nike deal was much more lucrative (Liverpool won).
Panini lost the Euros after 45 years.

But Sorare, who are operating in a very young market, are never going to suffer such a problem?
The founder and owner of SoRare has already spoken about the PL deal, they expect the PL to do multiple deals with different NFT companies. So there will be different licencing agreements. Providing the licencing isn't exclusive to one, the door remains open for others. SoRare have licencing to show video moments from Bundesliga on the back of cards (like NBA top shot), they dont have that with other leagues, not that it matters at all.

Liverpool were one of the first clubs they signed up individually along with West Ham, those contracts ran out, the old Liverpool/West Ham cards remain on the platform and perfectly usable, no different to a new Liverpool card, well apart from in game XP boost (which we wont get into).

They absolutely could lose some licencing, it wouldn't affect the platform. They could lose the exclusive contract with the Turkish league, they will just replace it with the Swedish league. They've already spoken about wanting the top 20 leagues, they've got 11 or 12 so far and the games operating fine. They just signed up the Scottish Premier League. They've already spoken about expanding into adding womens football too.

The platform is doing fine without the PL, just as it was before they signed the full Bundesliga and La Liga (they had multiple big clubs in both prior to announcing the full league). More leagues are just a bonus, the more the merrier.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:59 pm

with old cards remaining on the platform perfectly fine and scoring perfect, past a certain point, licencing doesn't matter. Once the players are licenced and released on the platform, licencing for the next season doesn't matter really.

Unless you care about the minimal difference between a 2019-2020 Trent Alexander Arnold card and a 2021-2022 Trent card. They both score the same, XP bonus aside.

Luis Diaz joined Liverpool and they aren't licenced, go buy his Porto card, sure he's in a Porto kit but it scores based on the club he plays for and that isn't Porto.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:04 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:59 pm
with old cards remaining on the platform perfectly fine and scoring perfect, past a certain point, licencing doesn't matter. Once the players are licenced and released on the platform, licencing for the next season doesn't matter really.

Unless you care about the minimal difference between a 2019-2020 Trent Alexander Arnold card and a 2021-2022 Trent card. They both score the same, XP bonus aside.

Luis Diaz joined Liverpool and they aren't licenced, go buy his Porto card, sure he's in a Porto kit but it scores based on the club he plays for and that isn't Porto.
What happens when a player retires or his career is cut short through injury?
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:24 pm

DCWat wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:04 pm
What happens when a player retires or his career is cut short through injury?
The card remains with you, you can sell it. Not that I'd recommend buying players on the verge of retirement.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:03 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:24 pm
The card remains with you, you can sell it. Not that I'd recommend buying players on the verge of retirement.
I just don’t get it - not sure I ever will. At least a Panini sticker was something tangible and you achieved something by completing a team or the whole album.

I don’t see an end game, it just sounds like rinse and repeat until eventually, something newer, better, bigger and shinier comes along, or some bright spark comes up with another technology to make a fast buck or piece of computer generated currency.

This virtual world that people seem so intent on everyone living, working and perhaps most tellingly of all, spending their money in, is bizarre to me.

Perhaps I’m a few years to old, behind the curve or it just goes over my head, but I can’t see me ever looking for a plot of land in some meta verse, mining coins in some virtual galaxy, disguised as some Avatar that I think will make me seem popular.

All sounds like madness to me, but far, far more intelligent people than I could ever hope to be seem to think it’s the future. Meh!

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:18 pm

DCWat wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:03 pm
I just don’t get it - not sure I ever will. At least a Panini sticker was something tangible and you achieved something by completing a team or the whole album.
What do you achieve?

I think using those Panini stickers in a team of 5, fantasy football to win more stickers worth potentially thousands of £ is more enjoyable.

The sports card market is booming in America, nothing you can do with them, doesn't stop people collecting and buying them though.

Adeola Friday
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Adeola Friday » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:52 am

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:51 pm
Coming late to this thread but this is actually a very good point. Football has only increased in popularity over the years; this is just a different way to be able to engage with fans outside of the local area that traditional fans occupy and also to gain that “brand engagement” (I know, it’s an awful phrase but it’s been a long week and I hope you know what I mean by it) with a wider audience. As much as those of us who grew up on the traditional view of the game might not feel quite comfortable with it as it’s not our comfort zone, that modernisation of how fans “support” a club does tie in with what ALK are looking to do. As KRBFC says, it’s not like Fantasy Football is going out of fashion any time soon.

Sorry to leap into the discussion, it’s not quite my area but I do find it fascinating. To be honest, it’s a nice distraction from watching my Blu Ray dvds and then popping my MiniDisc player on to listen to an album whilst I type this up on my Blackberry
This user liked this post: KRBFC

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:27 am

Adeola Friday wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:52 am
Coming late to this thread but this is actually a very good point. Football has only increased in popularity over the years; this is just a different way to be able to engage with fans outside of the local area that traditional fans occupy and also to gain that “brand engagement” (I know, it’s an awful phrase but it’s been a long week and I hope you know what I mean by it) with a wider audience. As much as those of us who grew up on the traditional view of the game might not feel quite comfortable with it as it’s not our comfort zone, that modernisation of how fans “support” a club does tie in with what ALK are looking to do. As KRBFC says, it’s not like Fantasy Football is going out of fashion any time soon.

Sorry to leap into the discussion, it’s not quite my area but I do find it fascinating. To be honest, it’s a nice distraction from watching my Blu Ray dvds and then popping my MiniDisc player on to listen to an album whilst I type this up on my Blackberry
I bought 4 AZ Alkmaar players to fill my team of 5 and became a temporary fan of AZ, watching every game until I changed my fantasy team :D

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:44 am

This WAS such a good thread.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Wed May 04, 2022 8:39 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:41 pm
...apparently in talks to buy Burnley, according to Reuters.
Bumped for reasons of nostalgia. :D

September 2020 seems like a long, long time ago.

Worth a look.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun May 22, 2022 6:02 pm

Saddled with debt. Relegated from the richest league in the world. Cat 1 academy status lost. Best manager in my lifetime sacked.

Exciting times, eh......

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun May 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:02 pm
Saddled with debt. Relegated from the richest league in the world. Cat 1 academy status lost. Best manager in my lifetime sacked.

Exciting times, eh......
I wondered why this thread had been bumped.

Let's see what happens next.

UTC

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun May 22, 2022 6:16 pm

Exciting ******* times

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun May 22, 2022 6:23 pm

Worrying times

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun May 22, 2022 6:27 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:12 pm
I wondered why this thread had been bumped.

Let's see what happens next.

UTC
It was bumped in response to those who couldn't see what was happening to our club in front of their eyes.

And I would rather not see what happens next, as every single thing that has happened since Pace and Co bought the club with its own money has been to the detriment of BFC. The bloke who it seems makes all the decisions appears not to have a clue what he is doing.
This user liked this post: bf2k

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by bumba » Sun May 22, 2022 6:28 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:02 pm

Exciting times, eh......
The best manager in your life time is the reason we are relegated
These 2 users liked this post: Somethingfishy claretfern

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sun May 22, 2022 10:24 pm

bumba wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:28 pm

What a strange thing to say!

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Mon May 23, 2022 7:37 am

bumba wrote:
Combined with the lack of investment from the previous chairman in anticipation for the sale. Money which he has effectively pocketed....but yeah lets blame the relegation on Pace too. The only thing Pace did wrong on the footballing side was not potting Dyche earlier if anything...and giving him that ridiculous contract.
These 5 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop claretfern Superjohnnyfrancis Top Claret Braindead

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon May 23, 2022 10:43 am

bumba wrote:
And the best Manager in my lifetime is the reason we were into our sixth consecutive season in the Premier League.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm

bumba wrote:
One day you will realise that's not true

bumba

Post by bumba » Mon May 23, 2022 4:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm
One day you will realise that's not true
Sorry my bad I thought Dyche managed us for about 30 games this season

bumba

Post by bumba » Mon May 23, 2022 4:54 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:43 am
And the best Manager in my lifetime is the reason we were into our sixth consecutive season in the Premier League.
Yep that's why always said he's undone his hardwork in previous years

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 5:01 pm

bumba wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:54 pm
Yep that's why always said he's undone his hardwork in previous years
We don’t know that. Dyche fell out with Garlick and that is when the damage was done. While SD has had nothing but good things to say about Alan Pace, he clearly did not get the players through the door he had hoped for. It seemed to make him ‘meh’ about this season, clearly to my mind thinking we could scrape over the line for another summer window ready for the next Premier campaign.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 23, 2022 5:08 pm

bumba wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:53 pm
Sorry my bad I thought Dyche managed us for about 30 games this season
He was, but just remember what I posted in reply to you.

bumba

Post by bumba » Mon May 23, 2022 5:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:08 pm
He was, but just remember what I posted in reply to you.
One day you'll realise it was his fault. The players stopped playing for him, it'd gone stale that's all on Dyche's head.
This isn't a go at his time here he took us places we could only dream of but he stayed a bit too long without changing himself and it cost us this season
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop