ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:24 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 pm
That's completely fake news though isn't it? They have never said that because they're not stupid enough to believe it. Fantasy land stuff, I'm sure they're well aware if we're relegated, players will need to be sold to raise income to service the payments to Garlick, let alone MSD.
I don’t know… honestly, can you say that you do? I would expect players to leave if we are relegated… same as any other club loses players when being relegated. Does that mean it is because of there is no money or because the player simply wants to stay in the top division. It is you that has formed their conclusion, not me; so how am I living a fantasy by making suggestions and admitting I don’t have all the answers?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:28 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:22 pm
Could be a good thing, I have no idea on the details. He will be looking for return I'm sure, is he prepared to accept that return may never come?
He was one of the first Football players to defy Trump by raising the fist, he maintains a charity in his former neighbourhood and works for human rights… you tell me when and if that suggests someone who is just after a get rich scheme. I would guess not, but unlike others I make no claims to ‘know’.

Rombald
Been Liked: 127 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by Rombald » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:39 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:15 pm
He asked ''what is the plan'', he never said ''there is no plan''

I think the lack of comprehension skills really lets people on here down, there's a clear difference between the two statements yet people are all confused and jumping down his neck. Sit back and read the posts 5x before replying.
I've read them thanks. No confusion from me. I know when I'm reading twaddle

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:03 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:52 pm
And for balance… and has provided an opportunity for Burnley football club to chase outside investors and potential supporters that were never going to be reachable for previous owners to service that increased debt and propel the club forwards
Outside investors, do tell ?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:04 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:47 pm
I don't have heroes joey I am not 12 yr old, that didn't though answer the question.
I don’t know how much money he/they have taken , it’s not in the public domain.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:04 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 pm
Again is there any need to call someone names.

You said they had a plan, I asked you what it was and you couldn’t answer.
I wish you had a plan to find another hobby or club to ‘support’!

joey13

Post by joey13 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:04 pm
I wish you had a plan to find another hobby or club to ‘support’!
Oh dear :roll:

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:10 pm

If we were to go down this season Id be interested to know without getting into the realms of fantasy and wishful thinking what kind of plan is possible to enable us to service and repay our debt if its not to sell our best players.

My worry would be more if we dont sell off some players and we choose not to repay the debt as if we dont manage to get back up they will need some kind of magical plan just to keep our financial heads above water

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:23 pm

joey13 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:03 pm
Outside investors, do tell ?
Read the thread, Burnley/Pace tweets yesterday or look under Burnley on BBC website (underneath Southampton game news).

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:30 pm

joey13 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:04 pm
I don’t know how much money he/they have taken , it’s not in the public domain.
Neither should it be. Jenkins has an interest and that is free advertising and great PR for the club and town stateside. It means a lot of people who follow his every move also suddenly also have an interest in Burnley… some of them will stick.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:48 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:30 pm
Alternatively, our new investors have a plan in place that will not rely on selling players to cover the debt, so making up figures for contracted players is itself nothing but fantasy.
To bring it back on topic, I imagine that there isn't much intention of paying off the MSD loan at any point soon. The plan is most likely to repay it when the club is sold.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:52 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:10 pm
If we were to go down this season Id be interested to know without getting into the realms of fantasy and wishful thinking what kind of plan is possible to enable us to service and repay our debt if its not to sell our best players.

My worry would be more if we dont sell off some players and we choose not to repay the debt as if we dont manage to get back up they will need some kind of magical plan just to keep our financial heads above water
Concern is healthy, assumption of failure certainly isn’t. Why would Jenkin’s invest? It certainly isn’t just about money… he could make more than he’s likely to see from ALK in the next few years just by getting his name sawn into sports socks.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:54 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:48 pm
To bring it back on topic, I imagine that there isn't much intention of paying off the MSD loan at any point soon. The plan is most likely to repay it when the club is sold.
Did I not read somewhere that we are only currently paying the interest but that we will need to pay it back within five years?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:56 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:52 pm
Concern is healthy, assumption of failure certainly isn’t. Why would Jenkin’s invest? It certainly isn’t just about money… he could make more than he’s likely to see from ALK in the next few years just by getting his name sawn into sports socks.
The only one between the two of us making assumptions is you around this Jenkin's bloke who I couldn't care less about.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:56 pm
The only one between the two of us making assumptions is you around this Jenkin's bloke who I couldn't care less about.
Not assuming anything. But it’s certainly peaked my interest as to the possibilities; and it certainly seems healthier than assuming those nasty American’s have decided to destroy the smallest Premier league club out of everywhere in the world they might of bought just because everyone hates Burnley.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:07 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:

People are forgetting the debt of around £50m still owed to Garlick, not just the MSD loan of £60m.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:09 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:59 pm
Not assuming anything. But it’s certainly peaked my interest as to the possibilities; and it certainly seems healthier than assuming those nasty American’s have decided to destroy the smallest Premier league club out of everywhere in the world they might of bought just because everyone hates Burnley.
Im talking to you not others and I haven't assumed anything of the sort so if you're gonna quote my post and reply to me then try sticking to what i've commented please.

Here you are in your reply to me making an assumption that Jenkins investment wouldn't be just about money whilst moaning at someone making an assumption of failure which as you quoted me I took it to be aimed at me when my post did no such thing.
elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:52 pm
Why would Jenkin’s invest? It certainly isn’t just about money… he could make more than he’s likely to see from ALK in the next few years just by getting his name sawn into sports socks.
If you want to post rubbish and try and talk your way out of it go and play with the children but if you're gonna attempt a conversation with me lets stick to some semblance of truth and honesty

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 pm

Ok so Aggi says we aren't planning to pay off the £60 owed to MSD, the yearly interest on the loan was reported at just over £6m. Did MSD not just demand their money back from Derby? and where is the finance coming from to pay Garlick £50m? we still owe Lyon most of the fee for Cornet, the club credit is also club debt to the fans which takes from the future incoming cash.

Now, we can no doubt finance all of this with PL income with some tighter restrictions elsewhere (less staff/less transfer budget) or more debts.

Is it negative to ask questions and worry about the possibilities if we are relegated? probably to some, don't take my questions as acting like we are down already, I'm just genuinely interested in a potentially realistic outcome.

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:23 pm

If you don’t know are sent interested in Carl Jenkins involvement in BFC you shouldn’t be commenting on the subject. One of US top football players invests in Burnley and yet people say I don’t care about him. I despair at times. Don’t you get it ? A lot of private investors want to be involved with our club through the medium of ALK.
The man who has security over the ground and Gawthorpe is probably in the top 30 richest people on earth. (Mr Dell) They won’t default on the payments as they will bring in massive investment .

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:25 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:09 pm
Im talking to you not others and I haven't assumed anything of the sort so if you're gonna quote my post and reply to me then try sticking to what i've commented please.

Here you are in your reply to me making an assumption that Jenkins investment wouldn't be just about money whilst moaning at someone making an assumption of failure which as you quoted me I took it to be aimed at me when my post did no such thing.

If you want to post rubbish and try and talk your way out of it go and play with the children but if you're gonna attempt a conversation with me lets stick to some semblance of truth and honesty
I always struggle with truth… whose do you want, just your own? There is no one truth, only opinions based on evidence, mine is that Burnley football Club announced Jenkins was onboard… and a quick look at his quilanthopic record suggests to my humble reasoning: he is not someone who is likely to get involved with something he deemed grubby. You may not agree, your choice. Ability to discuss is grown up. Distorting posts to deceive is childish.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Sigh.

Transfer fees are normally paid over the duration of the players first contract, so that's 5yrs to pay off Lyon.
That's been normal in football for years.

Derby - they've gone bang, of course MSD wanted their money back.
We aren't on the verge of going bang, very far from it.
Derby had been circling the drain for years, we could all see it and many of us have commented on it.

Garlick - that money will be cleared, but again we don't know the terms, it's none of our business either, Garlick and ALK appear to be happy with it.

Maybe some of you need to take a more positive attitude to life, instead of just looking for negatives all the time.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:29 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:25 pm
I always struggle with truth… whose do you want, just your own? There is no one truth, only opinions based on evidence, mine is that Burnley football Club announced Jenkins was onboard… and a quick look at his quilanthopic record suggests to my humble reasoning: he is not someone who is likely to get involved with something he deemed grubby. You may not agree, your choice. Ability to discuss is grown up. Distorting posts to deceive is childish.
Why would BFC be deemed grubby though? It's a legitimate football club business.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:31 pm

Where has this notion that the club owes Garlick money come from?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:33 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:29 pm
Why would BFC be deemed grubby though? It's a legitimate football club business.
Missed the point

A man worth a reputed $90 million wouldn't invest £10 million into something if he felt it was grubby and he wouldn't get a return, simply because it would harm his reputation in the USA if he was involved in grubby/shady deals.
The club isn't grubby and from the looks of it neither are the intentions and actions of ALK if they're able to get people like Jenkins to invest in them.

It's a positive thing because it could well lead to further investment.

In the summer Palace attracted a new investor who put £100 million into the club and allowed them to clear some debts and provide Viera with a decent transfer kitty.
That could be us eventually.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:35 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:28 pm
Sigh.

Transfer fees are normally paid over the duration of the players first contract, so that's 5yrs to pay off Lyon.
That's been normal in football for years.
Very true. But this increases the club's financial risk rather than mitigating against it because of the leveraged buy out.

It shouldn't be hard to see why many fans have concerns about the financial sustainability of the club.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:35 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:25 pm
I neither agree or disagree as the post I made had nothing to do with Jenkins and was pretty straight forward as per below
Devils_Advocate wrote:

When I talk about truth I talk about your response to me that talked about someone (me) making an assumption of failure (I didn't) whilst in the next breath making a random comment about this Jenkins bloke that had no relevance to what I posted and in itself made an assumption.

Honesty and truth is if you're gonna quote and respond to me dont fill it up with bullsh*t and irrelevant stuff and actually address what I wrote. So if you want an honest conversation about what I posted try to respond to my actual words and if not just go back to arguing with the kids.

The choice is yours

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:37 pm

taio wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:35 pm
Very true. But this increases the club's financial risk rather than mitigating against it because of the leveraged buy out.

It shouldn't be hard to see why many fans have concerns about the financial sustainability of the club.
That is just normal transfer business though, which we needed to do regardless of the buyout.
It's factored into the normal operations of the club.

The buyout debt is a separate issue

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:31 pm
The deal was structured in a way with staged payments to Garlick, I think there are 2 30M payments outstanding to him.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:40 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:29 pm
No, sorry you misunderstand me. Jenkins has got involved with ALK and Burnley Football Club. When you consider the people advising him, it would surely be beyond belief that he would get involved with ALK if he did not believe in what they were doing… if he thought ALK were grubby or tin pot in some way. At worst he is willing to have his good name attached to them, surely that suggests they are better than a lot on here seem to assume?

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:42 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:37 pm
That is just normal transfer business though, which we needed to do regardless of the buyout.
It's factored into the normal operations of the club.

The buyout debt is a separate issue
It is normal business, yes. But the point is when a club has been taken over through a leveraged buy out it adds to the regular commitments to creditors. It's certainly not a separate issue.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:45 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:40 pm
No, sorry you misunderstand me. Jenkins has got involved with ALK and Burnley Football Club. When you consider the people advising him, it would surely be beyond belief that he would get involved with ALK if he did not believe in what they were doing… if he thought ALK were grubby or tin pot in some way. At worst he is willing to have his good name attached to them, surely that suggests they are better than a lot on here seem to assume?
All of my concerns stem from there past record of owning football clubs and the amount of debt.

For a club of our level with an ever increasing wage bill, I don’t see how this is manageable if the worse happens this season.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:45 pm

AndyClaret wrote:
The deal was structured in a way with staged payments to Garlick, I think there are 2 30M payments outstanding to him.
That isn't money owed by the club though.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:49 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:23 pm
Read the thread, Burnley/Pace tweets yesterday or look under Burnley on BBC website (underneath Southampton game news).
Well you obviously haven’t read it .

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:51 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:35 pm
I neither agree or disagree as the post I made had nothing to do with Jenkins and was pretty straight forward as per below

When I talk about truth I talk about your response to me that talked about someone (me) making an assumption of failure (I didn't) whilst in the next breath making a random comment about this Jenkins bloke that had no relevance to what I posted and in itself made an assumption.

Honesty and truth is if you're gonna quote and respond to me dont fill it up with bullsh*t and irrelevant stuff and actually address what I wrote. So if you want an honest conversation about what I posted try to respond to my actual words and if not just go back to arguing with the kids.

The choice is yours
The investment of Jenkin’s was given as an example of how the board appear to be trying to bring in additional funds… and more supporters… is that not the best magic trick to facilitate the debt? Of course things will be tight if we were to be relegated, as it would for any football club.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:51 pm

Time will tell as to whether or not the plans of Pace and ALK are realistic and achievable (whatever these may be). There are rightly some concerns.

We’ve seen plenty of other owners at other clubs come in with grandiose plans only to see their money (and that of others, usually borrowed) quickly disappear down the plug hole.

It’s the club and it’s fans that ultimately suffer the consequences, alongside the creditors, particularly non football.

Hell, we’ve had many a topic on here mocking the fans of other clubs for the way in which their clubs have been run.

There are some alarm bells ringing but all we can do now is hope that whatever Pace and his team plan to do, proves to be successful.

For now though, the constant bickering and mocking of those with differing views on the same subject is ******* tiresome.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:45 pm
All of my concerns stem from there past record of owning football clubs and the amount of debt.

For a club of our level with an ever increasing wage bill, I don’t see how this is manageable if the worse happens this season.
They've owned one and apparently left it in a better place than they found it commercially

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:10 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 pm
They've owned one and apparently left it in a better place than they found it commercially
I don’t agree personally. We went through this months ago, I posted loads of links to articles that highlight they were effectively pushed out of the clubs due to poor finances.

They developed the infrastructure of the clubs (no arguments here at all) but in reality they needed to be bought out (with the new owner stating they had failed to make payments for 11 months).

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:51 pm
The investment of Jenkin’s was given as an example of how the board appear to be trying to bring in additional funds… and more supporters… is that not the best magic trick to facilitate the debt? Of course things will be tight if we were to be relegated, as it would for any football club.
Bringing in additional investment and funds is fine no problem with that. I also have no problem with the owners, they will be rightly judged one way or another later down the line.

Trying to bring in investors, funding and supporters if we get relegated and are a club with a large debt and diminished revenue streams is another thing altogether.

If we were to go down and ALK prioritised clearing the debt and reducing the wage bill and then from a stable position tried to use their skills and nous to drive the club forward I would be very happy.

To do this however I accept that would mean selling our top players and big earners and what I cant see is that there is another way to stabilise the club following relegation than this and if someone can come up with a plan on how we might do it (without wishful thinking that we'll just get investors or we'll increase our commercial revenues by millions to cover the lost Prem money) then Im open to hear it.

My worry is that ALK dont try to stabilise and try keeping all out best players, keeping the debt and using the parachute payments to have a couple of years at betting the ranch on getting back up and protecting their long term investment. If that was to happen and we didnt get back up we could end up in big trouble

So to summarise Im all for ALK trying to grow the club, Im happy to see what they can do and think we are more likely to stay in this league with them in charge than with Garlick. But at the same time I recognise the risk of things going belly up for the club should we go down is greater now then it was with Garlick in charge. I also accept should we go down we will have to do a lot of selling to get the club to a debt free commercially viable business like we were and would remain under Garlick.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:20 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, nowhere did I state ALK were purposely driving us into the ground for their own benefit, nor did I question ALK's integrity/morals. I questioned the long term plan, where is the money going to come from the fund certain things.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:31 pm
ALK still owes Garlick money from the takeover, 3 staged instalments totalling around £50m- 60m.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:37 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 pm
ALK still owes Garlick money from the takeover, 3 staged instalments totalling around £50m- 60m.
OK. So, where has this notion that the club owes Garlick money come from?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:10 pm
I don’t agree personally. We went through this months ago, I posted loads of links to articles that highlight they were effectively pushed out of the clubs due to poor finances.

They developed the infrastructure of the clubs (no arguments here at all) but in reality they needed to be bought out (with the new owner stating they had failed to make payments for 11 months).
Of course you don't agree, that's par the course.

Pace was there for just 20 mths though as chairman.

Checketts was the owner and he was hindered by the likes of Lehman Brothers going back in 2008, followed by global recession etc.
Yes he struggled, but he had to do a hell of a lot more there than he will here.
He founded RSL club and built it from scratch, in a country where football isn't that popular.
They had no purpose built football stadium, no training facilities, youth set up etc, he had to build all of it..

You'll ignore everything that everything he did at RSL and focus just on the bad without taking into consideration everything that led up to that moment.

Lehman Brothers going bang was a real problem for a lot of people, especially RSL as they were the main backers for the Stadium.

Since then he's also been on the board of Madison Square Garden and president of the Knicks

Look at Inter Miami, it took 8yrs from proposal of creating a new franchise in 2012 to launching the club and a lot of hard work, with failures and success along the way and they still don't have their own purpose built stadium, that's due to be completed in the next couple of years.
That's a lot of work we've never had to think about, because the majority of professional clubs in England have been around for a hundred years or more.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:45 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:37 pm
OK. So, where has this notion that the club owes Garlick money come from?
The fact the MSD loan paid to Garlick by ALK is against the club assets.
Some of the clubs own money was used to pay Garlick by ALK.

The tooth fairy isn't gonna pay it

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:00 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:45 pm
The fact the MSD loan paid to Garlick by ALK is against the club assets.
Some of the clubs own money was used to pay Garlick by ALK.

The tooth fairy isn't gonna pay it
No, ALK have to pay it, there's no liability on the club. Why do you think they're looking for investors like this Jenkins bloke?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 pm
Bringing in additional investment and funds is fine no problem with that. I also have no problem with the owners, they will be rightly judged one way or another later down the line.

Trying to bring in investors, funding and supporters if we get relegated and are a club with a large debt and diminished revenue streams is another thing altogether.

If we were to go down and ALK prioritised clearing the debt and reducing the wage bill and then from a stable position tried to use their skills and nous to drive the club forward I would be very happy.

To do this however I accept that would mean selling our top players and big earners and what I cant see is that there is another way to stabilise the club following relegation than this and if someone can come up with a plan on how we might do it (without wishful thinking that we'll just get investors or we'll increase our commercial revenues by millions to cover the lost Prem money) then Im open to hear it.

My worry is that ALK dont try to stabilise and try keeping all out best players, keeping the debt and using the parachute payments to have a couple of years at betting the ranch on getting back up and protecting their long term investment. If that was to happen and we didnt get back up we could end up in big trouble

So to summarise Im all for ALK trying to grow the club, Im happy to see what they can do and think we are more likely to stay in this league with them in charge than with Garlick. But at the same time I recognise the risk of things going belly up for the club should we go down is greater now then it was with Garlick in charge. I also accept should we go down we will have to do a lot of selling to get the club to a debt free commercially viable business like we were and would remain under Garlick.
Quite agree and I’m not aware of ever suggesting we wouldn’t have to re-cut our cloth should we be relegated, players themselves would to a large extent dictate the highest earners leaving any club, either through choice or necessity. As for Garlic, he took the best offer he could get, and did us a favour getting out as quick as he did, while the club could afford to buy itself out of the mess it was heading for. I see positivity coming out of the boardroom again and for that I’m willing to give them shuffle room, for the time being at least.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:47 pm
Quite agree and I’m not aware of ever suggesting we wouldn’t have to re-cut our cloth should we be relegated, players themselves would to a large extent dictate the highest earners leaving any club, either through choice or necessity. As for Garlic, he took the best offer he could get, and did us a favour getting out as quick as he did, while the club could afford to buy itself out of the mess it was heading for. I see positivity coming out of the boardroom again and for that I’m willing to give them shuffle room, for the time being at least.
Then if you agree you shouldn't have quoted me and gone off at tangent. If your first reply would have just addressed my actual post we could have got here hours ago.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 pm
Then if you agree you shouldn't have quoted me and gone off at tangent. If your first reply would have just addressed my actual post we could have got here hours ago.
Lol fair do’s. I’ve had a couple as I’ve popped on and off today looking to argue for the sake of it… probably half of something else I was thinking.
These 2 users liked this post: Devils_Advocate fatboy47

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:32 pm

[quote=elwaclaret post_id=1663837 … he could make more than he’s likely to see from ALK in the next few years just by getting his name sawn into sports socks.
[/quote]

Sawn into sports socks...... only if he wears Timberlands😝

This user liked this post: Paul Waine

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:47 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
I think you're wildly optimistic about just how much due diligence NFL players will have done on their investments.

We also have no idea how much it is an investment and how much a PR thing. I was looking at ALK's investment in AI Scout and Player Lens earlier. For all of the PR around it it's surprising to see that the investment appears to be tiny.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:54 pm
Did I not read somewhere that we are only currently paying the interest but that we will need to pay it back within five years?
Yes. At that point I would guess that another loan would be taken.