A Perfect Planet

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

A Perfect Planet

Post by Hipper » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:49 pm

Anyone see this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... ect-planet

I'm afraid I seem to have quite a jaundiced view of these type of programmes now. I've seen Life on Earth, Blue Planet etc. and they're brilliant. Now I just look at the still stunning film, hardly tolerate the music that tries to convey something, and know that the now ancient and trusted David Attenborough is incapable of physically fronting the programme so just narrates, and even here I suspect that voicing technology has corrected his possible slurring and other faults of old age.

Overall, for me anyway, there are some insights on how some animals live, but nothing radically new.

Indeed the whole premise of the series, that 'Planet earth is perfect' for life, seems to be looking at the situation in the wrong order. We're here now because of the past and this is how it is. When we look back we don't see a smooth development of life but all sorts of goings on that finished development at the time and moved things in a new direction. For example there have been a few great extinctions seemingly caused by random events (the classic being the dinosaur demise because of a meteor). If that had not happened would mammals have become the dominant class?

An excuse to show some good film but not much more.