REPORT: Another inglorious cup exit

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

REPORT: Another inglorious cup exit

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:22 pm

Burnley v Bournemouth report - and to be honest I wasn't sure what to write

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/another-in ... s-cup-exit

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Re: REPORT: Another inglorious cup exit

Post by CleggHall » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:27 pm

Unacceptable sums it up really, a good word Tony!

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:30 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:27 pm
Unacceptable sums it up really, a good word Tony!
Nothing else to add, it say's it all.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:37 pm

You did well to find something to talk about. An appalling display. Unacceptable on so many levels. It's become almost 'normalised' over the last few seasons to see us struggle against opposition from a lower league but having given myself time to consider last night I have to say it was probably as poor as anything I've witnessed over those seasons. Good luck to Bournemouth, they deserved their win but as a Burnley fan for many, many years that effort just.left me numbed and cold and still concerned for the remainder of the season.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:42 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:37 pm
You did well to find something to talk about. An appalling display. Unacceptable on so many levels. It's become almost 'normalised' over the last few seasons to see us struggle against opposition from a lower league but having given myself time to consider last night I have to say it was probably as poor as anything I've witnessed over those seasons. Good luck to Biurnemouth
I thought in so many ways we were unfortunate against Lincoln and otherwise in the FA Cup we've gone out to far better teams than Bournemouth. I just thought last night was horrible from start to finish and as bad as anything I've seen in some time.

Anyway Silkyskills1 - I'm just about to start another thread which might bring better news even if it was 48 years ago.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm

Well done Tony for your efforts
I too am old enough to remember our Gutless rollover v Wimbledon
Last night's game was shameful beyond belief ,another in our low spots to add to far too many cup exits.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm

Not in a position to rotate the squad like other Premier League clubs can, the squad isn't good enough, I think we all know that.....but that's another story. It says something when Bournemouth can make 6 changes to their starting 11 and can still put in a good performance yet we can't! Good report Tony by the way.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:47 pm

I have to admit that I was astonished when I worked out last week that we've only reached the 6th round four times since Wembley in 1962 - in 1964 (lost at West Ham), 1974 (not to be mentioned semi), 1983 (Sheffield Wednesday) and 2003 (Watford). I don't think I've missed any.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:50 pm

I don't mind the changes - we know what the priority is. We also know how negligently weak our squad is beyond the 13 or 14 tried and trusted so it can't be a surprise when we field so many inexperienced players.

However, the game last night was approached with something like disdain by Burnley and that is what is not acceptable.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:27 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm
Not in a position to rotate the squad like other Premier League clubs can, the squad isn't good enough, I think we all know that.....but that's another story. It says something when Bournemouth can make 6 changes to their starting 11 and can still put in a good performance yet we can't! Good report Tony by the way.
I think it's more about attitude.

We made numerous changes for the Fulham game - ten was it - but put out an experienced side that won comfortably. Was it some psychological thinking that meant management thought we must beat a fellow Premier League team so their attitude was good. Perhaps the mistake was Vydra's for scoring that late equaliser against the MK Dons. I wonder if he got a telling off for that?

Presumably injuries and perhaps a wish to put everything into the next three league games led to yesterday's poor effort.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 pm

That's a fair summary

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:31 pm

Dyche clearly said in his post match interview that it was about the club looking why it has so many injuries, he ran off a number of possible reasons for it. Believe his reasoning or not ( i think some of it was very valid) there's not much he can do when a PL striker misses an open goal from 5 yards out or that others can't pass the ball 10 yards - it just proved last night that our "competitive" squad is anything but
Last edited by Vegas Claret on Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:37 pm

What emerged was that our 'reserves' just aren't good enough. It was appalling and the only consolation was being spared the 40 miles each way from Leeds. We have a very small number of top quality players carrying the average rest. If all of them are at the top of their game we can grind out results. Resort to the 'reserves' and the cupboard is bare. The lack of rescruits last summer showed last night. Presumably what cash reserves we had was basically ring fenced to enable the Americans to use the club's own money to fund the purchase. Alan Pace must surely have seen last night how there is no depth and some big decisions are needed in the summer about getting better players in. I do think we can do just enough to stay up but what happens after depends on some quality signings. You could argue that Dyche did need to rest some of the essential players but what he then had left at his disposal was just not good enough. I cannot see any way that the current crop of players, another year older, another year slower, could manage next season in the Prem.
These 9 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Silkyskills1 CleggHall frankinwales tiger76 Stayingup randomclaret2 k90bfc longsidepies

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:13 pm

I guess we have six players who would fit into some premier league sides and only two who might get into a top six side.The squad uses teamwork and
hard graft to collect points.If two or more of the six are out of the squad the work effort of the squad is not enough to get the points to survive.That side put out last night would get relagated from the championship.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Where does the buck stop on team selection. Dyche got rightly hammered on Talksport for the team he put out. As the station said-8 points clear of relegation, next game Palace then two home games v WBA and Fulham. A total disrespect for our fans. Alan Pace seems to have gone quiet since his early day pledges and promises. Needs to show who is running the club

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:34 pm

Well said CT. It was unacceptable.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:34 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm
Well done Tony for your efforts
I too am old enough to remember our Gutless rollover v Wimbledon
Last night's game was shameful beyond belief ,another in our low spots to add to far too many cup exits.

"Gutless rollover" ! Nonsense, we absolutely battered them - it was one of those one in a hundred occasions where we did everything but score. Dickie Guy played one of the two games of his life, the other was against Leeds, and Lady Luck didn't just smile on the Wimbledon lads, she gave them all a bj....
It was a huge shock, one of those games where it just wasn't going to happen for us.

I got exactly the same feeling last night - we were never going to score - but for different reasons.
These 5 users liked this post: fatboy47 bfcmik Colburn_Claret the_magic_rat k90bfc

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:41 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:34 pm
"Gutless rollover" ! Nonsense, we absolutely battered them - it was one of those one in a hundred occasions where we did everything but score. Dickie Guy played one of the two games of his life, the other was against Leeds, and Lady Luck didn't just smile on the Wimbledon lads, she gave them all a bj....
It was a huge shock, one of those games where it just wasn't going to happen for us.

I got exactly the same feeling last night - we were never going to score - but for different reasons.
Spot on. Dickie Guy and, shall we say, an over physical approach.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Excellent report; horrible night; good bacon sandwiches though!

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:26 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:15 pm
Where does the buck stop on team selection. Dyche got rightly hammered on Talksport for the team he put out. As the station said-8 points clear of relegation, next game Palace then two home games v WBA and Fulham. A total disrespect for our fans. Alan Pace seems to have gone quiet since his early day pledges and promises. Needs to show who is running the club
By running the club is the inference that he should have got involved in team selection? I do not think that is going to happen. And he has already basically made Dyche untouchable which remains a bizarre move in my book.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:22 pm
Burnley v Bournemouth report - and to be honest I wasn't sure what to write

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/another-in ... s-cup-exit
Great article CT and well summarised 👌

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:29 pm

Very good report on an awful performance.

Like many have already said, when we play players from outside the main group of 16 players (ish) they are clearly not good enough. This is probably why Dyche has protected his main group to focus on the main priority, remember we are the club that is as close to a relegation position as you can get without being in one. He has also openly complained about replacements last season without any support. So I don’t blame him.

Unless this is sorted in the close season under the banner of ‘exiting times’, then the future will be as bleak as last night’s showing.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:34 pm

we have players who can come in and give 'OK' performances provided they are with our established group. Put them all together and we get that mess though. Not sure why Dyche thought that line up would be good enough but I suspect I can answer my own question.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:34 pm

Dyche's job is to keep us in the Prem with as high a league position as possible.
If Dyche is of the opinion that taking any kind of risk last night was not worth it, the chairman will support that. Relegation this season would be disastrous.
A few might be spitting their dummies out on here - some of the reactions are downright embarrassing - but Dyche sees the bigger picture. It's his job.
Let's see where we are after the next three games.
These 4 users liked this post: Jimscho GodIsADeeJay81 claret54 k90bfc

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 602 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:39 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:47 pm
I have to admit that I was astonished when I worked out last week that we've only reached the 6th round four times since Wembley in 1962 - in 1964 (lost at West Ham), 1974 (not to be mentioned semi), 1983 (Sheffield Wednesday) and 2003 (Watford). I don't think I've missed any.
Probably because there weren't any :D :D :D
My special word for last night was " woeful".

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Hard to keep beating oursleves over last night as we need to move on .
I for one can't wait for the game on Saturday so we can put this to bed .

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 195 times
Has Liked: 272 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:27 pm

My first proper FA cup experience was the 73-74 season and having my young heart broken and even the following two seasons I was gutted attending both 3rd round games and witnessing both disastrous results.Im still nostalgic for the cup and always believe one day we will avenge those three seasons andwin the cup in my head anyhow.But being serious if you get to the 5th round with a favourable home draw you should give it a real go to progress.I was as gutted last night as I was all those years ago I thought maybe this could be the year we have a chance.Iget that things have changed and the cup is a hindrance now for most clubs now but it certainly does not make it right.I wonder if a lot of clubs would prefer not to even enter the competition

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:27 pm

Inglorious Basturfs

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:55 pm

No difference last night to the majority of the games this season already - we are awful at times going forward

So no matter what team we put out it's the same outcome - and the majority of this squad will be together for another couple of seasons

The joys eh
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:59 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:55 pm
No difference last night to the majority of the games this season already - we are awful at times going forward

So no matter what team we put out it's the same outcome - and the majority of this squad will be together for another couple of seasons

The joys eh
God that's depressing

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:08 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:55 pm

The joys eh
Yes, the same outcome where we won at Arsenal and Liverpool for the first time since flares and sideburns were in fashion... how awful! :roll:

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:18 pm

Unacceptable barely covers it.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Can't argue with anything in that report CT, I think people's frustrations are that we battled through to the 5th round, and had a winnable home tie.

And Jay's and the Pieters episode just summed up the whole sorry affair, of course we all understand how important it is too remain in this league, but surely it's not asking much for the club to at least attempt to go as far as reasonably possible in the FA Cup anyway, and for all those saying there's always next year, that's true but will we got such a favourable draw as we got this time, in life you have to grasp the opportunities that come your way, and in my view that was an opportunity spurned.

SD and the players better make damned sure we collect a good number of points in these next 3 games, there's no excuse now that they've all been rested up is there.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:25 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:08 pm
Yes, the same outcome where we won at Arsenal and Liverpool for the first time since flares and sideburns were in fashion... how awful! :roll:
One was an own goal and the other a penalty after being battered - give your head a wobble

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:33 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:25 pm
One was an own goal and the other a penalty after being battered - give your head a wobble
A win is a win no matter how its done, unless you're an absolute...

Oh wait.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:37 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:33 pm
A win is a win no matter how its done, unless you're an absolute...

Oh wait.
It is but don't make it out like we were on the front foot and controlling both games

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:39 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:37 pm
It is but don't make it out like we were on the front foot and controlling both games
Couldn't give a toss if we got battered for 96 mins and scored a winner in the 97th.

Its about 3 points at the end of the game, that's all I'm arsed about and I wouldn't give a toss if it went in off someone's butt cheeks.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:41 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
And prior to us winning at Anfield not a single team had remotely looked like winning there in the past four years.

We did as well as anyone has done in that time.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Just watching Everton v Spurs at Goodison, two full strength sides going at it properly, currently 3-3.

Just like every FA cup tie used to be.

When did we lose that, as a club?
These 2 users liked this post: Elizabeth Hibsclaret

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:45 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Does that mean you expect us to control games against the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool?

If so, it's you that needs to give your head a wobble.

:roll:

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:50 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:45 pm
Does that mean you expect us to control games against the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool?

If so, it's you that needs to give your head a wobble.

:roll:
No but like it against some lower teams at home instead of getting footballed of the park by mk dons and the like

onewillieirvine
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by onewillieirvine » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 pm

Our record in the FA Cup since 1962 is horrendous considering some of the quality sides we've had over that period. :o

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:41 pm
And prior to us winning at Anfield not a single team had remotely looked like winning there in the past four years.

We did as well as anyone has done in that time.
We did and now we know that we played them at the correct time - look at their results before and since

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:54 pm

onewillieirvine wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 pm
Our record in the FA Cup since 1962 is horrendous considering some of the quality sides we've had over that period. :o
My first two seasons were a semi final and a final. I didn’t realise at the time that it wasn’t the norm. I’ve certainly found out since.

DomBFC1882

Post by DomBFC1882 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:55 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
We did and now we know that we played them at the correct time - look at their results before and since
We definitely played them at the right time that can't even be disputed. No VVD or Gomez at centre half. Not to mention starting origi and shaqiri
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:55 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
:lol: so now you've switched to we played them at the right time...

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:55 pm
We definitely played them at the right time that can't even be disputed. No VVD or Gomez at centre half. Not to mention starting origi and shaqiri
The same Shaqiri who some on here bang one out over...

The same Origi who's scored goals in some of the biggest club games there is.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 pm

The worst one for me was Watford. I was at Hillsborough '74, but I still can't get over the capitulation at Vicarage Road.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:05 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 pm
The worst one for me was Watford. I was at Hillsborough '74, but I still can't get over the capitulation at Vicarage Road.
Last night was equally as bad if not worse than Watford, and Stan also left out several key players on that day, and we turned in a woeful display, and were deservedly beaten, the reality is chances in cups for the likes of Burnley don't come along very often, and every time they have presented themselves in recent decades, we've failed to turn up on the day. Watford, Lincoln and now Bournemouth.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

onewillieirvine
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by onewillieirvine » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:07 pm

Yes Watford is right up there, sad to say. Newcastle was the real heartache for me, still not recovered some say 😳 Honourable mentions for Spurs in 66 and Chelsea in 70.😒
This user liked this post: dougcollins