Time to cash in?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Re: Time to cash in?

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:40 pm

If we sold all 4 it would surely just repay the debt.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:49 pm

The key problem is just not being able to replace them. In previous years we always had the next person able to make the step up. This time I'm not so sure. Keane was with us ready to replace Duff. Tarkowski ready to replace Keane. Pope for Heaton etc.

Is Peacock-Farrell good enough to replace Pope?
Is Dunne/Long good enough to replace Tarkowski?

Even Wood who looks like a cart horse at times will be difficult to replace...his goalscoring record isn't easy in the premier league.

If we could get the recruitment right it could work, but with our current squad and the risk of getting it wrong, I'm not sure we can...I think before we recruit players we need a big overhaul in recruitment full stop.

I think we will have to figure this all out asap into the transfer window and likely get some loans in, because I can't see us able to spend enough money to sign all the required players we need, and that's without others moving on.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:59 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:52 pm
I would replace all of them to be honest, but Wood especially.
Who with? Last year, Wood scored 14 goals. The list of players who scored more is not long.

Vardy
Aubameyang
Ings
Sterling
Salah
Kane
Mane
Jiminez
Martial
Rashford
Aguero
Abraham

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 pm

I like the idea of cashing in on the players mentioned but I see it as an opportunity to clear out debt rather than reinvest in players.

Just think what Mr Pace could do with the club if we were debt free and we all know Dyche can keep us up with some astute cheap signings and a wafer thin squad so win-win situation.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boyyanno
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by boyyanno » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm
Is it time to cash in on the players we can sell and rebuild in the summer?

Tarky 35m
Pope 35m
Wood 15m (if he nets a few when he comes back.)
Vydra 8m (will never suit a Dyche team)

100m or so to spend.
Try and get a forward like Watkins who can play the front line on his own.
This will enable us to play/buy a creative midfielder.

Keepers are pretty cheap but Norris looked alright and BPF must be primed for it by now.

Centre half should be the easiest area for Dyche to recruit. The one position he specializes in.

The only other players I feel could command a fee are Taylor and McNeil, but both have decent contract length
and haven't had their best seasons to to get the best price.

I expect quite a few young players to come in to bolster the squad.
If I didn't recognise your username I'd think you were Alan Pace just testing the waters :lol:
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:55 pm

Well it looks like (by the small number of posters who have replied) it would be best to carry on like we have been doing. Letting contracts run down and rely on the new owners to find some cash from somewhere to improve the squad.
This user liked this post: nyclaret

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:13 pm

If there was a better striker available then I would definitely sell Wood. I don’t see why that’s such a big deal?

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:17 pm

plus, he’s turning 30 this year.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:55 pm
Well it looks like (by the small number of posters who have replied) it would be best to carry on like we have been doing. Letting contracts run down and rely on the new owners to find some cash from somewhere to improve the squad.
The jump has to happen at some point, but without some good players coming through I'm not sure what we'll do. I think maybe some loan-to-buys may be in order.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 pm
I would personally drive Chris Wood to any club if we got even half of our money back.
So you'd sell our top goalscorer over the past 3 seasons for a nominal fee, and who despite missing a number of games is still our top marksman this season, Wood is frustrating at times, but his record for us is very good considering we don't exactly create bucket loads of chances, and his absence has been sorely felt in the last few games.

And if we sold him how much do you think it'll cost to replace him, even average Championship strikers are being touted for crazy fees.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Sorry I know I will have missed it on the money tree thread or ALK takeover, but how did ALK show proof of funds to take over the running of an established Premier League club, when we as fans, only 2 months later, are talking about selling the crown jewels to service a leveraged debt that seems to be bestowed on us? Seems really odd.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm
Is it time to cash in on the players we can sell and rebuild in the summer?

Tarky 35m
Pope 35m
Wood 15m (if he nets a few when he comes back.)
Vydra 8m (will never suit a Dyche team)

100m or so to spend.
Try and get a forward like Watkins who can play the front line on his own.
This will enable us to play/buy a creative midfielder.

Keepers are pretty cheap but Norris looked alright and BPF must be primed for it by now.

Centre half should be the easiest area for Dyche to recruit. The one position he specializes in.

The only other players I feel could command a fee are Taylor and McNeil, but both have decent contract length
and haven't had their best seasons to to get the best price.

I expect quite a few young players to come in to bolster the squad.

We'd get about 10m for tarky, maybe 30m for pop, wood would be 2-3m and Vydra a free or a mil maybe to the Championship.

We couldn't afford to buy a single replacement for a single ONE of those players with what we'd get for all and if we did splash the transfer fee, they wouldn't want to come anyway.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:00 pm

I think I'll run off and shoot myself after reading some of the guff on this thread.

Pull yourselves together guys and gals, we'll be reet. We have the very best man
for the job at the helm. Hopefully the new owners can match him and back him to the hilt.
This user liked this post: houseboy

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:23 pm

Well, if we are going to cash in then this is the year.
Next year would be too late for some.

Much depends on whether we stay up and if so, who
leaves (probably Tarks) and hopefully no more that we would miss.
Probably Brady and one more.
If we were to go down then there would be a clear out for sure
but not the one we were envisaging. We'd probably lose 3 or 4, if not more.
Now Dyche has proved in the past that he can get in decent players.
Although not much these last two years.
And we don't seem to have a number of youngsters who are ready or good enough
for the first team as yet and probably not for next season.
So whatever we'll need some, if not major rebuilding during the Summer.

We'll need to unearth 2 or 3 who are good enough to start and make an impact and
hopefully improve the team.

That's where we could start to get a tad worried.
Is the recruitment team good enough to find those 2 or 3 within budget/salary?
Or do we have to keep going down the list until we do find some within budget and are
willing to come and buy into the Dyche ethos - so to speak

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:34 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:55 pm
I must have missed the "letting contracts run down" bit. They're very good at retaining players - I can only think of Hendrick who wouldn't sign a new contract so left without a fee.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:49 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:32 pm
No chance we should sell Pope or Tarks.

You have to ask yourself how many points their individual performances (along with Mee) win us? I'd say 20. Hard to imagine we would replace them with similar quality/experience, so if you assume you replace their replacements win us half the number of points (10), we'd quite likely go down. Staying in the PL earns us £130m per year, so selling up for £90m and going down would be financial lunacy.

I also can't see the point selling a proven PL striker for £15m. He may be out of form, but since unproven PL players like Watkins, Brewster et al cost £20m+, I can't see why we'd want to sell our own proven player for £15m. Especially since those unproven players will also suffer dips in form at some point in their career... if they ever find it, that is.

Rather than sell them, we should be building around them. We should be offering Tarks a £10m re-signing fee (it's what we allegedly would have to pay for Collins, who is unproven, why not give it Tarks who is?), then adding one or two quality players each year.
Unfortunately, this is the reason why we are continuously stale and there's very little transfer dealing for our players. The last one was Vokes? Gibson shouldn't really be added to this. These 4 strikers will never be signed by any other Prem team; they simply aren't good enough and would not fit into any other system than ours. But they'd all go to Champ sides who are never gonna pay the money we'd want, seeing as we paid good money and would want some return probably. They've proven in our system to function well but no Champ team is gonna what we paid for them, especially now Post COVID. We paid good dollar for them, barring Barnes. It's the problem with our transfer buying policy the last few years and the reason why we have had to offer new contracts to the likes of Bardsley, Long, Lowts, Westy, Brady, JBG, even Defour. We can't get rid of em! Unless they walk away for nothing! So we need to get as much as possible out of them hence the renewals.
This summer should see some transfer activity though if Tarks goes. Pope & Dwight surely have to wait for another year to allow us to slowly start to change the squad around. But it has to start this Summer. If Lowts can continue his form next season and Taylor we have 2 solid full backs. I'd look to change a striker at least and then maybe a couple the season after, and also replace Brady. With Brownhill, Cork & Westy I'm sure the management team think we're OK for Centre Mid. But certainly time to start looking for a back up RB to get bedded in and some younger wingers/attacking players for future seasons, as well as an instant Tarky replacement. Get 35 mill for him, I'm sure there must be a 20/25 mill replacement out there with good experience at a high level.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:06 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:51 pm
It's only 20 minute drive from the coast. Good enough for me.
17 miles nearly, as the crow flies. You’d be hard pressed to do that in 20 minutes on the Norfolk roads. 😉

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:20 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:29 pm
Sorry I know I will have missed it on the money tree thread or ALK takeover, but how did ALK show proof of funds to take over the running of an established Premier League club, when we as fans, only 2 months later, are talking about selling the crown jewels to service a leveraged debt that seems to be bestowed on us? Seems really odd.
It might seem weird but we are a miniature version of United. Looks like the game plan is similar to the Glazers and to be fair all those United fans who formed FC United in protest are now looking a bit silly. I know we aren’t United so the risk is greater but then United were saddled, I believe, with around 750 million debt when the Glazers took over, that was an eye watering amount.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:16 am

diamondpocket wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:49 pm
Unfortunately, this is the reason why we are continuously stale and there's very little transfer dealing for our players. The last one was Vokes? Gibson shouldn't really be added to this. These 4 strikers will never be signed by any other Prem team; they simply aren't good enough and would not fit into any other system than ours. But they'd all go to Champ sides who are never gonna pay the money we'd want, seeing as we paid good money and would want some return probably. They've proven in our system to function well but no Champ team is gonna what we paid for them, especially now Post COVID. We paid good dollar for them, barring Barnes. It's the problem with our transfer buying policy the last few years and the reason why we have had to offer new contracts to the likes of Bardsley, Long, Lowts, Westy, Brady, JBG, even Defour. We can't get rid of em! Unless they walk away for nothing! So we need to get as much as possible out of them hence the renewals.
This summer should see some transfer activity though if Tarks goes. Pope & Dwight surely have to wait for another year to allow us to slowly start to change the squad around. But it has to start this Summer. If Lowts can continue his form next season and Taylor we have 2 solid full backs. I'd look to change a striker at least and then maybe a couple the season after, and also replace Brady. With Brownhill, Cork & Westy I'm sure the management team think we're OK for Centre Mid. But certainly time to start looking for a back up RB to get bedded in and some younger wingers/attacking players for future seasons, as well as an instant Tarky replacement. Get 35 mill for him, I'm sure there must be a 20/25 mill replacement out there with good experience at a high level.
I've never been convinced by the idea that selling your best players is the way to improve. Isn't that what went wrong in the late sixties, seventies and early eighties?

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 am

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:16 am
I've never been convinced by the idea that selling your best players is the way to improve. Isn't that what went wrong in the late sixties, seventies and early eighties?
So why are we spending time & money on an academy system if not to bring youngsters through to the first team and sell for big profit? That's the idea, isn't it? Or have I missed something. We've always try to do it. It's been successful and helped out and other times unsuccessful and caused us problems but I don't imagine it was the only factor. It hasn't been too detrimental to us over the last 20 years or so though.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:52 am

diamondpocket wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 am
So why are we spending time & money on an academy system if not to bring youngsters through to the first team and sell for big profit? That's the idea, isn't it? Or have I missed something. We've always try to do it. It's been successful and helped out and other times unsuccessful and caused us problems but I don't imagine it was the only factor. It hasn't been too detrimental to us over the last 20 years or so though.
The first and foremost point of an academy system is to find players for the first team. Dwight McNeil isn't a failure just because he hasn't been sold, because he wasn't brought through the system purely as a means of profit.

The idea of replacing players is to find someone who is better. We sold Heaton and Vokes and even Keane for big money because we had someone better to replace them. If we have someone better than Tarkowski, then by all means sell him and play the replacement; but selling Tarkowski just because we want the money, is not IMO sense.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:08 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 pm
I would personally drive Chris Wood to any club if we got even half of our money back.
Agree totally. What's the point of hoofing the ball up to someone who loses it immediately, nine times out of ten?

Barney does a much better job.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 pm
I like the idea of cashing in on the players mentioned but I see it as an opportunity to clear out debt rather than reinvest in players.

Just think what Mr Pace could do with the club if we were debt free and we all know Dyche can keep us up with some astute cheap signings and a wafer thin squad so win-win situation.
Debt free....like before Christmas!

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:01 pm

After the chunk we pay Brentford we will end up with circa 15 million at that valuation

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:08 pm

Wood has had a bad season but he scored 14 goals for us last season. 14, outside of the top six he was beaten by Jimenez and Ings. Scoring 14 goals whilst playing for Burnley is an incredible achievement.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Tarkowski will leave anyway, I wouldn't sell Pope in the same window. We need a shakeup upfront, I'd be tempted to sell 3 of the 4 if possible and bring in 2 strikers and a wide player capable of playing upfront (like King). Brady leaving means we'll need 2 wide players. A young rightback to replace Bardsley. I still think we lack something in central midfield, someone with the ability to carry the ball forward, i'd rip up Stephens' contract to make room.

CB
RB
2 Wingers
CM
2 strikers

with Tarkowski, Bardsley, Brady and 2 of the strikers to leave (preferably Vydra and Barnes).
This user liked this post: diamondpocket

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:57 pm

As for Wood, he's a passenger the ball just bounces off him. I'd honestly sell him and bring in Mitrovic, who has a far better all around game.

Rojales Claret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Rojales Claret » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:04 pm

You'd rip up Stephens' contract to make room? So you would just pay him for the second year of his contract and let him go?

Rojales Claret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Rojales Claret » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:07 pm

So you would sell Wood and bring in Mitrovic? What if Mitrovic doesn't want to come to play for Burnley? This isn't a computer game!!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:09 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:32 pm
No chance we should sell Pope or Tarks.

You have to ask yourself how many points their individual performances (along with Mee) win us? I'd say 20. Hard to imagine we would replace them with similar quality/experience, so if you assume you replace their replacements win us half the number of points (10), we'd quite likely go down. Staying in the PL earns us £130m per year, so selling up for £90m and going down would be financial lunacy.

I also can't see the point selling a proven PL striker for £15m. He may be out of form, but since unproven PL players like Watkins, Brewster et al cost £20m+, I can't see why we'd want to sell our own proven player for £15m. Especially since those unproven players will also suffer dips in form at some point in their career... if they ever find it, that is.

Rather than sell them, we should be building around them. We should be offering Tarks a £10m re-signing fee (it's what we allegedly would have to pay for Collins, who is unproven, why not give it Tarks who is?), then adding one or two quality players each year.
You are assuming it’s all about the money with tarks, tarks wants out the club should sell ASAP for the optimum fee but only when a suitable replacement is secured, why would the club offer an ageing player a lucrative extension & miss out on a decent fee he’ll be the wrong side of 30 in a couple of years with depreciating value, it’s our last chance & his to part ways on terms which benefit both parties, It makes no practical business sense to do anything differently.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:22 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:57 pm
As for Wood, he's a passenger the ball just bounces off him. I'd honestly sell him and bring in Mitrovic, who has a far better all around game.
Brighton and Fulham are where they are now because they are full of players with "all-round games" but don't have players to put the ball in the net. Even with expected goals and possession stats and shots on target and all the rest of it, scoring goals is still an important part (some would say the most important! :shock: ) part of the game.

And even in what we all recognise has not been a good season for Wood, he has still scored twice as many goals as Mitrovic and his all-round game.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:20 pm

Why on earth would we want to sell players who have just kept us clear of the relegation zone and may yet get us relegated ? The blind loyalty on here truly beggars belief .

Tarky is good as gone and there’s endless ageing/injury prone dead wood we could/should clear.With the exception of Taylor/Mee/Dwight/ Pope /Brownhill (2-3 of whom might attract bids ) I’d say the rest are in theory open to offers . Naturally we need to keep a core with perhaps Lowton /Jay/ Cork /Wood fighting for places and backup.

We need some younger players with at least 3 quality signings needed , right wing back or winger , proper creatives midfielder and a proper centre forward wouldn’t be asking the earth .

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:08 am
Agree totally. What's the point of hoofing the ball up to someone who loses it immediately, nine times out of ten?

Barney does a much better job.
Made up stats are the best kind of stats.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:04 pm
Made up stats are the best kind of stats.
Yes, 88% of people agree. (92% in America)

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:19 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:22 pm
Brighton and Fulham are where they are now because they are full of players with "all-round games" but don't have players to put the ball in the net. Even with expected goals and possession stats and shots on target and all the rest of it, scoring goals is still an important part (some would say the most important! :shock: ) part of the game.

And even in what we all recognise has not been a good season for Wood, he has still scored twice as many goals as Mitrovic and his all-round game.
Yeah you're right, Mitrovic has proven he can score goals previously though, off field antics seemed to have dictated his role this year for Fulham. I like Mitrovic's ability to hold the ball and battle defenders, Wood doesn't really have that. I think we need a partner for Wood then, someone with the ability to hold the ball, score goals regularly and link play.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:21 pm

Rojales Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:04 pm
You'd rip up Stephens' contract to make room? So you would just pay him for the second year of his contract and let him go?
Yeah I would do everything possible to get rid, he offers us nothing and we don't need him getting in the way of youth progression (Benson) or new incomings. Looks League One standard from everything I have seen of him this season.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 pm

Madness to cash in on all the players mentioned in the OP

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:09 pm
You are assuming it’s all about the money with tarks, tarks wants out the club should sell ASAP for the optimum fee but only when a suitable replacement is secured, why would the club offer an ageing player a lucrative extension & miss out on a decent fee he’ll be the wrong side of 30 in a couple of years with depreciating value, it’s our last chance & his to part ways on terms which benefit both parties, It makes no practical business sense to do anything differently.
How much are we realistically going to get for him? We only got offers of £30m last summer, that was when he had two years left on his contract and before a full season of clubs generating much lower incomes. I can’t see any coming in with an offer >£20 to £25m this summer. Then consider that Brentford take 27.5% so we keep £14-£18m.

In my mind at least, I’d rather keep him another season for that. I don’t think anyone we could buy for that money would be capable of replacing him satisfactorily... not when you’re being quoted £10m for a defender from Stoke that’s played 30-odd Championship games. Not to mention the value attributed with retaining PL status - £130m!

What makes you think he wants to leave this summer? From what I’ve read he very much wants to run down his contract and get a pay day.

No issues with that. I’m just saying we should give him the pay day he deserves, secure his services, then have more control over when he leaves. That may be the summer after next anyway, and we’d recover all/part of the signing on fee we paid him through an increased transfer fee + have a better chance of retaining PL status next year. Add a few quality players next summer and losing him would be less impactful the season after.

I’d be much more comfortable with the whole selling idea had we invested the last 2-3 seasons. In reality, for whatever reason, the Board have not invested so I don’t think that gives them as much optionality to sell players.

That’s the whole thing that infuriates me about the lack of investment; if you keep buying quality it allows you to sell the players you’ve developed and bring more in. It’s a cycle that has now been broken and that was short sighted in my view. As things stand we just don’t have enough players to contemplate selling, assuming we don’t want to risk relegation.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:10 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 am
How much are we realistically going to get for him? We only got offers of £30m last summer, that was when he had two years left on his contract and before a full season of clubs generating much lower incomes. I can’t see any coming in with an offer >£20 to £25m this summer. Then consider that Brentford take 27.5% so we keep £14-£18m.

In my mind at least, I’d rather keep him another season for that. I don’t think anyone we could buy for that money would be capable of replacing him satisfactorily... not when you’re being quoted £10m for a defender from Stoke that’s played 30-odd Championship games. Not to mention the value attributed with retaining PL status - £130m!

What makes you think he wants to leave this summer? From what I’ve read he very much wants to run down his contract and get a pay day.

No issues with that. I’m just saying we should give him the pay day he deserves, secure his services, then have more control over when he leaves. That may be the summer after next anyway, and we’d recover all/part of the signing on fee we paid him through an increased transfer fee + have a better chance of retaining PL status next year. Add a few quality players next summer and losing him would be less impactful the season after.

I’d be much more comfortable with the whole selling idea had we invested the last 2-3 seasons. In reality, for whatever reason, the Board have not invested so I don’t think that gives them as much optionality to sell players.

That’s the whole thing that infuriates me about the lack of investment; if you keep buying quality it allows you to sell the players you’ve developed and bring more in. It’s a cycle that has now been broken and that was short sighted in my view. As things stand we just don’t have enough players to contemplate selling, assuming we don’t want to risk relegation.
So how do we buy new, if we don't sell first?

Tarky is the top CB in the league according to the stats, which most clubs go off. We will get a good price.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:10 pm

Tarky is the top CB in the league according to the stats, which most clubs go off. We will get a good price.
My point was more that with £50m in the bank in summer and decent cash reserves in previous summers, we should have added some quality to the squad in previously so we had ready-made replacements, and/or deeper quality in the squad. At the moment we have serious rebuilding to do in other areas of the team without adding CB to the list, which could've been avoided had we invested previously.

It’s not whether we want to sell, is it? He has to want to leave. He has been very clear that he wants to run his contract down and have control of his career. If I were him, there’s not a cat in hells chance I’d give up a massive pay day just to move a summer earlier. He’s going to manufacture his current contract/form situation to get the best financial outcome - he’ll get a payday one way or t’other. I’m just saying we should give it him before he inevitably moves for nowt.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:38 pm

He was trying his best to get a move to Leicester or West Ham in the summer, even took a couple of weeks off with a saw toe after the move collapsed. He said he won't sign a new deal to force a move, not run his contract down.

I agree, we should have invested earlier, but we didn't. We have to fix it from here.

No point looking back. Move forward.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:39 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:10 pm

Demand is probably the most important point & truly determines any players value, maybe the time was right earlier but it’s all ifs & buts & maybes, you also need to identify a suitable replacement which ticks all the boxes, people advocating some sort of a bumper package as a sweetener to extend the services probably don’t realise as soon as any player in the same boat will start automatically asking for the same & expecting the same, it’s a strategy designed to create divisions when you start treating people differently for more or less doing the same job.

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:00 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:52 am
The first and foremost point of an academy system is to find players for the first team. Dwight McNeil isn't a failure just because he hasn't been sold, because he wasn't brought through the system purely as a means of profit.

The idea of replacing players is to find someone who is better. We sold Heaton and Vokes and even Keane for big money because we had someone better to replace them. If we have someone better than Tarkowski, then by all means sell him and play the replacement; but selling Tarkowski just because we want the money, is not IMO sense.
I agree in part that obviously we want to serve the first team but I slightly disagree in that it would be a missed opportunity and a slight failure if we didn't capitalise and sell them on for good money on quality young players like Dwight. As we know the number who actually make it through an academy system to the first team are few & far between, even in big clubs; most are sold off to lower league clubs for a bit of cash. I'm guessing we're trying to do the same with the ones who won't ever make it to our squad but can make a profession out of it.

Ditto for your second point. In some cases we can replace with better but it's not always the case & I don't think Tarks or Pope when they came in were better than their counterparts. They had the potential and capabilities. Only now, can we say it after they have shown that quality but it wasn't a guarantee they'd have successful stints. But we have to get top dollar when we can for players. Clearly our financial clout isn't strong enough to go and buy players without selling first and for that we need to sell when the time is right and get top dollar. I agree it makes no sense to sell Tarks and bring in Dunne or Long. We'll need a new first choice CH so worst case scenario we spend all the money raised from Tarks on a new one. Best case scenario some money is left over to go towards over acquisitions.

diamondpocket

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:22 pm

Sounds like he'd be the perfect striker for Brighton hovering around the box waiting for the chances. Get our money back or a bit more, say 20 million and I'd snap their hand off.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 pm

I'm prepared to be corrected here (with evidence) but this claim that Tarkowski wants to run his contract down and get his pay day appears to be totally fabricated. He's stated he won't sign a new contract which is completely different. My understanding is he actively wants a move.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:56 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 pm
I'm prepared to be corrected here (with evidence) but this claim that Tarkowski wants to run his contract down and get his pay day appears to be totally fabricated. He's stated he won't sign a new contract which is completely different. My understanding is he actively wants a move.
That’s correct, but that’s not stopping some people into thinking that somehow if you was to bung him a few extra grand per week everything would he hunky dory reversing some people’s thinking process away from that is an herculean task.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:00 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:57 pm
Mitrovic 27 goals in 23 league games, he's on pace for 50 :lol: Marco Silva the magician

Guess I was right all along, my eyes don't lie to me, I'm just ahead of everyone else, it takes a while for others to see what I say.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:12 pm

What because Mitrovic scores a lot in a lower league? When he's not scored a lot in the league this conversation was about.

Yeah. Well done - youbwon that one.

You are ******* deludee

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:13 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:12 pm
What because Mitrovic scores a lot in a lower league? When he's not scored a lot in the league this conversation was about.

Yeah. Well done - youbwon that one.

You are ******* deludee
You can't even put a readable sentence together you dribbler

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:18 pm

Yawn.....