Cryptocurrency

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Cryptocurrency

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:27 am

RVclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:22 am
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59636958

Bank of England warn against crypto risks.

Interesting that a few comments from crypto enthuisasts on here suggest how big crypto is and how it can't possibly ever fail.

Yet as the article states only 0.1% of UK households wealth is in them.
I see that as a positive. Imagine when it inevitably rises our investments will increase exponentially.

Banks will always be negative towards crypto as it is there biggest rival
This user liked this post: KateR

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:37 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:27 am
I see that as a positive. Imagine when it inevitably rises our investments will increase exponentially.

Banks will always be negative towards crypto as it is there biggest rival
Not really...

1. Banks are already trialing the integration of some aspects of blockchain into their FX settlement processes to speed up transactions:

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:44 am

Posted it before I finished...

1 continued

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2021/ ... lockchain/

2. Central Banks are already in the process of creating their own CBDC (central bank digital currency) which will in effect reduce the need for crypto transactions for speed purposes:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... currencies

3. Would you rather keep your net wealth with the most highly regulated industry in the world (banking) or a completely unregulated industry (quite literally) in crypto where stories like this are a weekly occurance:

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2021/ ... ed-at-77m/

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:26 pm

It's interesting in how many institutions/Banks/ Governments are looking at and getting involved in crypto yearly even though it's internet magic money and a scam.

In the United States, even as top executives from major cryptocurrency companies including Coinbase (COIN.O) and Circle urged Congress to provide clearer bespoke rules for the industry, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and a group of bank chief executives discussed the need to regulate stablecoins.

Meta's cryptocurrency wallet, Novi, will allow users to send and receive money through the social media giant's messaging app WhatsApp and will use a stablecoin named Pax Dollar .

Research platform Delphi Digital says stablecoins have grown substantially in the past month, with the market capitalisation of the top five stablecoins swelling to nearly $150 billion from $129 billion. Tether, the largest stablecoin, has a market value of $76 billion. People have moved out from banks providing 0.025% interest in a 5% inflation trap into stablecoins achieving 10%+ interest and getting a 400% increase in there hedge against inflation instead of a 100% guarantee of a loss. Yet so many still believe it's all a scam and have done for 10 years missing out. I'm one that was late to the party but I'm convinced it's safe enough now and of course it's from a saving's account, which I know is a fraction of my portfolio. Therefore, if I lose it all (stablecoin investment) it wont break me, but trust me I'd be very upset. While there is risk, I believe it's very small and obviously hasn't stopped me going this route, once I understood the mechanics of how it works.

Meanwhile, the central banks of Switzerland and France claimed success in Europe's first cross-border trial of central bank digital currency (CBDC) payments, after testing project Jura, named after the mountains between the two countries.

Cryptocurrencies topped the list of assets expected to experience a correction in 2022, as per a survey of 500 global institutional investors conducted by Natixis Investment Managers.

Another Visa survey showed 40% of global crypto owners would likely or very likely switch their primary bank to one that offers crypto-related products in the next 12 months.

The Natixis survey showed that only 4 in 10 institutions considered crypto a legitimate investment option although, of the 28% already investing in crypto, 90% expect to maintain or increase their allocation in 2022.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:07 am

KateR wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:26 pm
It's interesting in how many institutions/Banks/ Governments are looking at and getting involved in crypto yearly even though it's internet magic money and a scam.
Only because they think it's possible to make money.

They also thought that with the sub-prime mortgage debacle.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:16 am

Has anyone had much experience with NFTS.

I have been absolutely amazed at how easy it is to trade NFTS.

I have recently made incredible gains on the angry boar NFTS

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:18 pm

Anyone know what this current crash is about and if there is likely to be a recovery?

RattyClaret
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by RattyClaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:21 pm

trouble in Kazakhstan apparently

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:22 pm

I see, is it likely to return to previous levels or is this the beginning of the end?

RattyClaret
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by RattyClaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:25 pm

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:26 pm

Personally this is when I am buying.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm

Generational buying opportunity

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:32 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm
Generational buying opportunity
Buy low sell high.

I agree I think this is best opportunity to buy in the last 12 months comfortably

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:16 pm

For anyone interested the next project I’m looking into is Forward protocol

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:42 pm

Crypto has been dropping due to several factors, the US interest rate being one, but inflation is hitting everywhere! However, it' clear that the funny internet scam money is fooling no one and the big banks is the place to store and protect your earnings and savings. Todays rally in part due to some clarity and messages from SEC that have provided a little support, but I expect it drop again until we are in Feb, but that's just me. Below will help confidence in the banks and how your interest increase will help, hopefully you locked in your loans and don't have variable rate loans, that would be painful.

I stopped buying crypto in Sept and began again in mid December, which has continued to yesterday, nothing today, as I continue to increase my holdings.

============================================================================================================================

Rising interest rates in the United States will funnel more money to banks. For savers and depositors, though, the benefits will come slowly, or not at all.

If the U.S. Federal Reserve delivers the three increases in interest rates that investors expect in 2022, lenders will generate more income from loans and securities on their books. JPMorgan expects net interest income from its banking business to swell by around 15% this year. Jamie Dimon’s firm and rival Wells Fargo both reckon rate-moves alone should increase interest income by 5%. Big banks have also stashed large amounts in excess deposits at the Fed and other central banks: Bank of America has nearly $320 billion on deposit. Those reserves will immediately earn extra income when official rates rise.

As the price of money goes up, so should the interest banks pay to customers. But the “deposit beta” – the percentage of a rate hike that makes it to depositors – varies from bank to bank. Daryl Bible, chief financial officer of $90 billion Truist Financial, said on Tuesday that he assumes a 25% beta, possibly rising to 50%. Bank of America passed on around 25% to depositors when rates last rose between 2015 and 2018. In general, it takes several hikes before customers get seriously discerning.

The mix of deposits also matters. Big companies are more likely to shop around for a better rate. Wells Fargo finance chief Mike Santomassimo pointed out on Friday that his bank’s weighting towards consumers and small-businesses leaves it better placed.

Banks can afford to be less responsive this time because they have more deposits than they need. Large lenders’ loan books are equivalent to around 50% of their deposits, according to Fed data. During the last rate-hike cycle that ratio was above 70%. After a prolonged period of very low rates, banks are competing more on their range of services, like buy-now-pay-later loans.

Salvation could come from new competitors. The number of deposit-like offerings grows every day, from Goldman Sachs’ Marcus, which is due to launch a checking account this year, to online lender SoFi Technologies, which received a U.S. banking charter on Tuesday. But there too, upstarts can win ground by offering better service, rather than better prices. The average depositor may have to watch the coming interest rate cycle from afar.

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 pm

Lehman’s terms for us who have no idea what you mean?

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:15 pm

Banks/Financial institutions will take the whole of the interest rate hike, whatever it is and pass on to it's customers 25% of what they get for your savings accounts leaving them with 75% of the increase on their funds with the FED or equivalent. So it's likely you will see an increase from your 0.01% to 1 - 2%, if you're lucky. Additionally they will be slow to give this 25% and it may be in stages.

They will also raise interest on any new or existing variable loans above whatever they give to the customers with savings accounts bearing interest.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:48 am

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:53 am

Cryptocurrency is gambling by another name

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:32 am

taio wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:53 am
You might want to tell our Mormon owners that

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:50 am

I have never got involved in crypto but have had an open mind.

To me crypto has to have a value in its own and not be constantly linked to the cash equivalent.

I thought this was coming when Elon Musk announced that he would take Dogecoin for some of Tesla’s merchandise which I thought was a potential game changer. At the time they announced a Texas Belt buckle at 835 Doge. Now the price of Dogecoin has come down since then so you would assume that the belt buckle is cheaper in its monetary equivalent but no that is now 980 Dogecoin. What this is saying there is no real value to the coin in its own right.

So until things can be purchased in crypto and not constantly converted to a monetary equivalent I will sit out.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:34 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:53 am
same as stocks and shares, just more volatile and therefore more risk with crypto, but if you buy low sell high then there is no risk except that the coin you chose goes out of business, shame as your stocks and shares.

"Dy1geo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:50 am

I have never got involved in crypto but have had an open mind.

To me crypto has to have a value in its own and not be constantly linked to the cash equivalent.

So until things can be purchased in crypto and not constantly converted to a monetary equivalent I will sit out."

Good you have an open mind, but you need to do a lot more research if you think crypto will not be linked to a cash equivalent, it's the same as saying stocks and shares should not be linked to a cash equivalent, I think therefore I am missing your point here. Many many coins are not linked to financial businesses/institutions like Bitcoin is, but they are all linked to a financial use. For example some are deigned around data/gaming/computing/IOT, etc.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:35 pm

I see XMR has been banned from Kraken in UK.

Can i still buy it and trade it still on any other exchanges in UK?

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:09 pm

KateR wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:34 pm
same as stocks and shares, just more volatile and therefore more risk with crypto, but if you buy low sell high then there is no risk except that the coin you chose goes out of business, shame as your stocks and shares.
Are you simply stating the obvious that once you have sold the crypto for a profit, there is no longer any risk?

Because saying there is no risk if you buy low is the same as saying there is no risk in horse race gambling as long as you bet on the winner. You can't know when you buy it whether it is low or not.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:32 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:09 pm
Are you simply stating the obvious that once you have sold the crypto for a profit, there is no longer any risk?

Because saying there is no risk if you buy low is the same as saying there is no risk in horse race gambling as long as you bet on the winner. You can't know when you buy it whether it is low or not.
no comparison with horse racing whatsoever, I can select a basket of crypto or a basket of share and all could go up or all go down or any percentage in between, you'll never get all the horses doing that, there's always a winner and lot's of losers.

Of course you can never know when you chose but you can do a lot of research and make educated guesses, I suppose there's a lot of professional gamblers will tell you the same, whether horses or poker, it's funny how lucky people get the more they learn and practice. Yet as keeps being said invest what you can afford to lose, but as I keep telling you, invest in the stakes and get 10% back/year and also get the Visa debit card, which provides several bonuses and cash back without investing that much.

Visa recently announced that there cards attached to crypto exchanges had $25 Billion spent on them in the last quarter, these are in the contract you accept but I know you'll never accept that people are making steady money through crypto with little risk if you do the safe things, in addition to the chance to grow the principal in addition. The choice is yours of course and I've no problem with you not buying/investing this way but you really do need to open your mind a little and get beyond this pyramid scheme mentality.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:18 am

KateR wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:32 pm
no comparison with horse racing whatsoever, I can select a basket of crypto or a basket of share and all could go up or all go down or any percentage in between, you'll never get all the horses doing that, there's always a winner and lot's of losers.

Of course you can never know when you chose but you can do a lot of research and make educated guesses, I suppose there's a lot of professional gamblers will tell you the same, whether horses or poker, it's funny how lucky people get the more they learn and practice. Yet as keeps being said invest what you can afford to lose, but as I keep telling you, invest in the stakes and get 10% back/year and also get the Visa debit card, which provides several bonuses and cash back without investing that much.

Visa recently announced that there cards attached to crypto exchanges had $25 Billion spent on them in the last quarter, these are in the contract you accept but I know you'll never accept that people are making steady money through crypto with little risk if you do the safe things, in addition to the chance to grow the principal in addition. The choice is yours of course and I've no problem with you not buying/investing this way but you really do need to open your mind a little and get beyond this pyramid scheme mentality.
You're telling people that they can buy crypto with no risk of the price going down. That is wrong, stupid, and dangerous. Fools might believe you.
This user liked this post: Leisure

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:23 am

If you never sell you never lose.

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:34 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:23 am
Very true lol..
I'm tucked up either in staking or USDt atm..
Expecting more blood from btc

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:44 pm

Also staking and getting the CDC Visa cards for more earning, hubby has the Ruby one now and I should be getting the Jade green one this week as my CRO comes out of a three month stake having earned 6% yearly for the three months. With the Jade card it will earn 10%, plus I'll' be getting CRO back in numerous but not all purchases and have USDC in a 10% earn program. Few little buys in the last couple of months buying at lower prices when a particular coin in my portfolio drops below average, so I can keep averaging downwards. I'm also expecting it to trend lower through Feb but am not predicting an upturn yet.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 pm

The cryptocurrency bubble bursts… but is it a sign of a stock market crash to come? Digital investors lose fortunes as Ethereum sheds 20% of its value in 24 hours, Luna drops NINETY-EIGHT per cent and Coinbase warns customers may lose ALL their money.
Crypto-currency markets are being rocked after a popular token lost 99% of its value, dragging down a so-called "stablecoin" with it.

The Terra Luna token fell from a high of $118 (£96), last month, to $0.09 on Thursday.

The collapse had a knock-on effect on a linked token, TerraUSD, which is normally stable.

And spooked investors are now pulling out of major crypto-currencies, sending markets plummeting.

The companies behind stablecoins try to ensure they remain in parity with assets such as the US dollar - with one token equalling $1, for example.

But on Thursday TerraUSD fell to $0.4 according to the trading website Coin Market Cap.

Tether, the most popular stablecoin, also fell off its US dollar peg - to an all-time low of $0.95.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8428 times
Has Liked: 18097 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu May 12, 2022 8:44 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:23 am
If you never buy you never lose 😉
This user liked this post: Leisure

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:49 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 pm
The cryptocurrency bubble bursts… but is it a sign of a stock market crash to come? Digital investors lose fortunes as Ethereum sheds 20% of its value in 24 hours, Luna drops NINETY-EIGHT per cent and Coinbase warns customers may lose ALL their money.
Crypto-currency markets are being rocked after a popular token lost 99% of its value, dragging down a so-called "stablecoin" with it.

The Terra Luna token fell from a high of $118 (£96), last month, to $0.09 on Thursday.

The collapse had a knock-on effect on a linked token, TerraUSD, which is normally stable.

And spooked investors are now pulling out of major crypto-currencies, sending markets plummeting.

The companies behind stablecoins try to ensure they remain in parity with assets such as the US dollar - with one token equalling $1, for example.

But on Thursday TerraUSD fell to $0.4 according to the trading website Coin Market Cap.

Tether, the most popular stablecoin, also fell off its US dollar peg - to an all-time low of $0.95.
Been on the cards for a while.

I suspect it will be near market until the next Bitcoin halving in a few years.

AwayClaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by AwayClaret » Thu May 12, 2022 8:53 pm

Chelsea new shirt sponsor £20m? Whalefin.

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by barba » Thu May 12, 2022 8:54 pm

Terra Luna just looked like a huge ponzi scheme.

Feel some sympathy for those probably blinded by greed who lost lots on another failed crypto project.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:56 pm

Similar to betting only put into crypto what you can afford to lose.

Life changing money can be made, but as can be seen it can also go the other way.

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Thu May 12, 2022 8:59 pm

It was only a matter of time. I don't really understand crypto. But is this not related to the change over to digital currency and the end of the fiat system? A competitor was never going to be allowed to go up against the central banks.

taio

Post by taio » Thu May 12, 2022 9:05 pm

Toxic

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu May 12, 2022 9:44 pm

I feel bad for the people in crypto who didn't get involved in projects like SoRare, especially football fans. A truly incredible concept and the absolute best hedge against the fall in crypto.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu May 12, 2022 9:55 pm

SoRare just announced full exclusive partnership with Major League Baseball, so MLB fantasy sports game coming this summer. PGA exclusive deal to follow.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 pm

Yeah crypto investing really sucks. I was up 150x on my investments from 2020 only 3 months ago.

Now I am only up 30x on my original investment. Definitely stay clear of these terrible returns.

Pretty sure you could get 1% APR fromsome banks, so that is definitely a better bet.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 pm
Yeah crypto investing really sucks. I was up 150x on my investments from 2020 only 3 months ago.

Now I am only up 30x on my original investment. Definitely stay clear of these terrible returns.

Pretty sure you could get 1% APR fromsome banks, so that is definitely a better bet.
I am pretty similar to yourself steddyman. However, I would still advise people to only go in with what they are prepared to lose. As so few people actually do the required research to be successful at it. Plus there are so many influencers that lead people down dodgy paths

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Thu May 12, 2022 10:14 pm

Steddyman wrote:

:lol: The ultimate HODLer. Keep HODLING forever. To the moon!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8428 times
Has Liked: 18097 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu May 12, 2022 10:15 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 pm
I am pretty similar to yourself steddyman. However, I would still advise people to only go in with what they are prepared to lose. As so few people actually do the required research to be successful at it. Plus there are so many influencers that lead people down dodgy paths
Yeah that Martin Lewis and Jeremy Clarkson keep sending me emails about how much money I could make investing in Craptocurrency 🤭🤭🤭

taio

Post by taio » Thu May 12, 2022 10:21 pm

Steddyman wrote:

Course.

I hope no one on here listened to you at the time about Polkadot, Ethernity, Kusama, Filecoin and Enjin that will have all been decimated.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6898 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu May 12, 2022 10:32 pm

Steddyman wrote:

So an 80% loss on your assets in just 3 months, wow. To be honest that does sound like it really sucks.
This user liked this post: dsr

barracuda
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by barracuda » Thu May 12, 2022 10:52 pm

Time to fill your bags

taio

Post by taio » Thu May 12, 2022 11:01 pm

Steddyman wrote:

Please can I check my understanding with you - since you promoted Polkadot, Ethernity, Kusama, Filecoin and Enjin on here, is it correct to say the prices are -75%, -97%, -85%, -94% and -76% respectively?
This user liked this post: RVclaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Thu May 12, 2022 11:09 pm

taio wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:01 pm
Please can I check my understanding with you - since you promoted Polkadot, Ethernity, Kusama, Filecoin and Enjin on here, is it correct to say the prices are -75%, -97%, -85%, -94% and -76% respectively?
It pays to do your research, apparently.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu May 12, 2022 11:21 pm

Steddyman wrote:

Like all bubbles, if you get in early you can make big profits off the back of those who get in late.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 12, 2022 11:25 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:44 pm
I feel bad for the people in crypto who didn't get involved in projects like SoRare, especially football fans. A truly incredible concept and the absolute best hedge against the fall in crypto.
You sound like you're trying to sell time shares.

Or deep in a ponzi scheme and don't have enough friends to sell to, to you bail you out.