Refs Audio may be 'valuable for fans'

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Refs Audio may be 'valuable for fans'

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:02 pm

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -decisions

https://www.sportbible.com/football/new ... g-20210308

Link to when Micheal Olivers audio from Chelsea vs Utd was released months after the game.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Re: Refs Audio may be 'valuable for fans'

Post by ten bellies » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:36 pm

Understatement.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Kreuzberg
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 116 times

Post by Kreuzberg » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:57 pm

I do not at all understand this passage:

"I think, at this stage, no I wouldn't [like it]," Mike Riley, PGMOL managing director, told Sky Sports News in 2019. "I think we want to maintain the privacy, the intimacy, of conversations that take place between players and referees on the field of play.

What exactly is there to keep secret and intimate? If it’s a balanced, fair and true competition why all the secrecy and “intimacy”. They aren’t on a first date, this is professional sports with millions of pounds at stake. The trouble is, it’s becoming closer to scripted sports entertainment akin to WWE.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Kreuzberg wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:57 pm

"I think, at this stage, no I wouldn't [like it]," Mike Riley, PGMOL managing director, told Sky Sports News in 2019. "I think we want to maintain the privacy, the intimacy, of conversations that take place between players and referees on the field of play.

What exactly is there to keep secret and intimate? If it’s a balanced, fair and true competition why all the secrecy and “intimacy”. They aren’t on a first date, this is professional sports with millions of pounds at stake. The trouble is, it’s becoming closer to scripted sports entertainment akin to WWE.
It would be an absolute nightmare to reveal, tempers are often lost and I don't think revealing entire heated live conversations between players and officials does anybody any favors. It would paint players in a bad light for foul language, broadcasters would lose money, clubs would lose money from it, there would be constant scrutiny on players language. Do you really want to hear Barnes screaming and swearing at referees live on Sky at lunch time? It's not a fair reflection on the players character, it would be a disaster.

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Kreuzberg wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:57 pm

It's been introduced in a way that It's purposely secretive and misleading. Disgusting how it's used right now tbh.

I love hearing the communication in the rugby it's so refreshing and makes you empathise with any decisions they make as it's been explained clearly
These 2 users liked this post: Kreuzberg ten bellies

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:25 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:12 pm
It's been introduced in a way that It's purposely secretive and misleading. Disgusting how it's used right now tbh.

I love hearing the communication in the rugby it's so refreshing and makes you empathise with any decisions they make as it's been explained clearly
I assume in rugby you don't hear conversations between player/officials though, I saw the Aussie league video posted and it was just conversation between all officials.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:42 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:12 pm

Rugby and football are worlds apart

Rugby players are always thoroughly respectful to match officials and even when they get an explanation from the ref which they may disagree with they accept it without any talking back

Footballers have little or no respect for referees which explains why none of them look to go into that side of the game when they retire from playing.
With the current situation re no crowds we clearly hear the abuse that players and managers aim at match officials quickly followed by the usual apology from the broadcaster

Having refs mic'd up during a game ,when the players are having a go at them, is just not going to happen

Listening to how a decision has been decided after the game seems a bit illogical to me as it could only inflame the gulf that already exists between officials and clubs even more

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 pm

A time delay may help if officials are miked up, so someone can add some bleeps.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:02 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 pm
It would be an absolute nightmare to reveal, tempers are often lost and I don't think revealing entire heated live conversations between players and officials does anybody any favors. It would paint players in a bad light for foul language, broadcasters would lose money, clubs would lose money from it, there would be constant scrutiny on players language. Do you really want to hear Barnes screaming and swearing at referees live on Sky at lunch time? It's not a fair reflection on the players character, it would be a disaster.
all those reason you've given are reasons why it should be made available. Players will learn to quickly STFU, and in time a little civility and respect will return to and for the officials which in turn would IMO lead to a better standard of officiating because the officials wont be afraid to make correct decisions for fear of being abused by players from "big" clubs.
These 6 users liked this post: Kreuzberg DomBFC1882 Darthlaw Caballo BFCmaj bf2k

Kreuzberg
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 116 times

Post by Kreuzberg » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:30 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 pm
But that’s not at all how they’re framing it. At least not my interpretation of Mike Riley’s sentiments. Players are often told to stand down and stand aside when the on-pitch ref is conferring with the VAR official at Stockley Park. I’m talking specifically about that dialogue between the officials.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:26 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:42 pm
Rugby and football are worlds apart

Rugby players are always thoroughly respectful to match officials and even when they get an explanation from the ref which they may disagree with they accept it without any talking back

Footballers have little or no respect for referees which explains why none of them look to go into that side of the game when they retire from playing.
With the current situation re no crowds we clearly hear the abuse that players and managers aim at match officials quickly followed by the usual apology from the broadcaster

Having refs mic'd up during a game ,when the players are having a go at them, is just not going to happen

Listening to how a decision has been decided after the game seems a bit illogical to me as it could only inflame the gulf that already exists between officials and clubs even more
And tell me a good reason why footballers can't start to show that level of respect to referees?
These 4 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Zlatan Darthlaw dpinsussex

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:35 pm

I listen to Stockly Park (not referees) during the games, what PGMOL, the media and the Premier League haven’t made clear to fans at home is how VAR works, what’s been checked, how long checks take and what happens during checks.

The amount of times I’ve read on here, that an incident wasn’t checked.... When I argue it was actually checked I’m still told it wasn’t when I heard it with my own ears at the match - its frustrating.

Not all checks go the big screen or announced over PA, also there are times when the ref is instructed to delay play, while a check is ongoing, but fans wouldn’t know, you’d think players were taking time taking a goal kick or a throw in.

If you have any questions about it, I’m happy to answer them from my experience - not all questions I might not be allowed to answer though.

In my opinion, I think they should broadcast Stockly Park audio live on television.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:03 pm

DomBFC1882 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:26 pm
And tell me a good reason why footballers can't start to show that level of respect to referees?
I don't know any good reason

You would have to ask the players - but close your ears to their expletive answers

The EFL and Premier League don't want to know and then wonder why there is this animosity

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:35 pm

Imagine believing that adults paid multiple thousands of pounds per week, would be incapable of controlling their language. Even more so when they start losing money as their club fines them for bringing the club into disrepute.

They'd learn very quickly, methinks.
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 DomBFC1882 Zlatan

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:58 pm

They'd learn even quicker if they lost sponsorship deals as a result of their on pitch behaviour.
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 bf2k

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3111 times
Has Liked: 3829 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:02 pm
all those reason you've given are reasons why it should be made available. Players will learn to quickly STFU, and in time a little civility and respect will return to and for the officials which in turn would IMO lead to a better standard of officiating because the officials wont be afraid to make correct decisions for fear of being abused by players from "big" clubs.
Totally agree. I think it would improve respect towards refs.

More broadly, there’s so much that we could do to improve the PL viewing experience to be the best in the world and this would be a good start.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:15 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 pm
Totally agree. I think it would improve respect towards refs.

More broadly, there’s so much that we could do to improve the PL viewing experience to be the best in the world and this would be a good start.
I’m often amazed at some of the language that referees appear to simply accept.

Even little things like a player, who knows he is being booked, walking away from the referee when called. If it were me, I’d be booking them once for the initial offence and a second time for being such an ignorant get!

Either the referees are **** weak or they’re instructed not to act on certain things.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:17 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 pm
A time delay may help if officials are miked up, so someone can add some bleeps.
Love that - so we have a delay for var and a delay for the bleep man! :D

How about players learn the hard way to show a bit of respect. We might finally get rid of the nonsense apologies for every swear word, from the commentators.

It makes me swear hearing the bloody apologies - see I’m at it already! F**** sake!!
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 am

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:02 pm
It should be made available so broadcasters lose money? It's not just ''big'' clubs abusing referees, it happens at all levels from all clubs.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:58 pm
They'd learn even quicker if they lost sponsorship deals as a result of their on pitch behaviour.
It would be the clubs losing out and the entire league would suffer.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:22 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:25 pm
I assume in rugby you don't hear conversations between player/officials though, I saw the Aussie league video posted and it was just conversation between all officials.
You assume wrong, you hear conversations between players and match officials at least as often as you do between the officiating team.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:52 am

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 am
It should be made available so broadcasters lose money?
they wont, however the money aspect of this is why it wont happen but not for your reasons. Currently the money comes from the broadcasters who pay for a spectacle that is professional football and a large part of the show is discussing the "discussion" points of a game. The whole of Sky Sports would be boring as sh!t if all decisions were fair and to the letter of the law, no discussion no spectacle and no emotion to feed off for the media.
KRBFC wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 am
It's not just ''big'' clubs abusing referees, it happens at all levels from all clubs.
agreed, but its "big" clubs who have more influence over the officials and unconscious bias comes into play so the decisions tend to go in their favour. Dont tell me you never saw Fergie ranting at officials - he was always having a pop to enhance his reputation for complaining, which in turn influenced the officials in his clubs favour for 50/50 decisions (Fergie time was an actual proven thing you know).

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:06 am

I don't need to see behind the curtains... I just want better refereeing

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5173 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:18 am

What referees are hiding from is transparency.

They’re scared that the public will see that the players are running the show with all their antics.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 am

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:52 am

agreed, but its "big" clubs who have more influence over the officials and unconscious bias comes into play so the decisions tend to go in their favour. Dont tell me you never saw Fergie ranting at officials - he was always having a pop to enhance his reputation for complaining, which in turn influenced the officials in his clubs favour for 50/50 decisions (Fergie time was an actual proven thing you know).
Dyche and Warnock are arguably worse than Fergie for moaning at officials, Dyche himself is constantly swearing, should this be available for the public to listen to openly? it wouldn't be fair on Dyche to be branded something he isn't.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:39 am

Just to go over what I said previously, fans don't need to know what referees and players are saying, just the audio from Stockley Park will tell supporters everything they need to know.

aggi
Been Liked: 2122 times

Post by aggi » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:41 am

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 am
Dyche and Warnock are arguably worse than Fergie for moaning at officials, Dyche himself is constantly swearing, should this be available for the public to listen to openly? it wouldn't be fair on Dyche to be branded something he isn't.
He's the one doing it. It obviously shouldn't be released retrospectively but if you know it's being released and you're still doing it then it's your own fault.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:49 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:35 pm
I listen to Stockly Park (not referees) during the games, what PGMOL, the media and the Premier League haven’t made clear to fans at home is how VAR works, what’s been checked, how long checks take and what happens during checks.
HI claptrapper, how do you listen to Stockley Park?

I see no reason why that chat between the ref and var official cannot be broadcast live.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:59 pm

No no no the officials are not the game... the sooner ‘experts’ work that out the better for football. They will be very quite stands if it becomes much more about the ref