How would you redevelop the Turf?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

How would you redevelop the Turf?

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am

*This was in the Real Madrid Stadium thread but got a bit lost so re-posting*

We would never do it, BUT the best redevelopment we could / should do, would be to replace the Longside, Jimmy Mac, and CFS with a big wraparound 3 sided stand with up to date commercial / premium facilities and maybe enough capacity to make the ground around 30k, while keeping the Bob Lord largely as it is, and the character that comes with the view over the hills.

Not least as it would necessitate either a reduction in capacity as we replace one section at a time, or a groundshare elsewhere with a near neighbour for a season while it is done all at once.

Can't see us doing it at Ewood, so where, i wonder?

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Re: How would you redevelop the Turf?

Post by nyclaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:57 am

952E7B53-88AE-4F1B-8D82-405E27BA61FE.jpg
952E7B53-88AE-4F1B-8D82-405E27BA61FE.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 4638 times
The first thing we should do is move the pitch/goals so that they’re in the centre of the stands.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:02 am

nyclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:57 am
952E7B53-88AE-4F1B-8D82-405E27BA61FE.jpg
The first thing we should do is move the pitch/goals so that they’re in the centre of the stands.
Just look at the Jimmy Mac and how far over to the left it goes - when they opened it they found seats where the views were blocked by the Longside so they had to lower a wall. Clearly built in the wrong place.

Likewise, the Bob Lord was built too far forward as you can see when you look at the corner between that and the cricket field stand.
This user liked this post: nyclaret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:06 am

nyclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:57 am
Just move the goals
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am
Can't see us doing it at Ewood, so where, i wonder?
I believe CT did an April's Fools article about this a few years ago on the old site, certainly got me!

Whilst an increase in capacity may not be needed, I certainly feel new stands need to be built and modernised to replace CFS and Bob Lord stand.

I do like the Hawthorns/Deepdale look, rather than Longside and Jimmy Mac having two tiers, just a 1 tiered stand with Corporate facilities at the back.

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:33 am

I would like us to replace the cricket field stand ...the Bob Lord stand just needs tarting up ...new roof without pillars...plastic seats and get rid of the alcatraz wall at the front

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:34 am

Bring back the urinals from the '60s. The stench was enough to make you hold on until you got home :o
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:06 am
Just move the goals
You would need to extend the pitch.

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:36 am

claretburns wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am
I believe CT did an April's Fools article about this a few years ago on the old site, certainly got me!

Whilst an increase in capacity may not be needed, I certainly feel new stands need to be built and modernised to replace CFS and Bob Lord stand.

I do like the Hawthorns/Deepdale look, rather than Longside and Jimmy Mac having two tiers, just a 1 tiered stand with Corporate facilities at the back.
Deepdale is a very nice stadium IMO

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:36 am

The Jimmy Mac and Longside stands needs replacing, or at least new roofs put on, so that folk who are sitting down don’t get wet when it rains. Bigger concourses needed for the upper bits.

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:41 am

I've been a big fan of the RC Lens stadium ever since I went to watch England there at the Euros. I'd love our own Turf Moor version.
71114108-stade-bollaert-delelis-lens-france-stadium-bollaert-delelis-lens-france-.jpg
71114108-stade-bollaert-delelis-lens-france-stadium-bollaert-delelis-lens-france-.jpg (261.44 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

ChrisG
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by ChrisG » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:43 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:02 am
Just look at the Jimmy Mac and how far over to the left it goes - when they opened it they found seats where the views were blocked by the Longside so they had to lower a wall. Clearly built in the wrong place.

Likewise, the Bob Lord was built too far forward as you can see when you look at the corner between that and the cricket field stand.
Bloody hell, I've never realised quite how far off centre the JM/Beehole is. Wonder who cocked that up; the architect, or the setting out engineer? Can't believe it was signed off like that.

Surely someone at some point (given the Longside was already up when they started) thought "Hang on lads, this doesn't look right"?!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:46 am

CF stand I would buy a little land off the cricket club and extend 15m back, building an area for facilities. Bar, toilets
and food. Only needs to be 8m high or so. This would save the corridor for walking through and become a lot safer. I would add a couple of turnstiles and exit gate for away fans to be accessed from the cricket club, preventing possible clashes on the corner.
It could be added on to the ground (fixed to the existing wall with doorways cut out) so no disruption.

We need cheap seats and the CF is perfect for Burnley.

Swap the family stand around to the Jimmy Mac lower so premium seats can generate more income and kids are closer to the action and bertie bee etc..

Make the Bob Lord two tier and and make into a luxury premium seating stand with great corporate facilities. We only need a few extra seats in the ground (25k cap) but we need plenty more premium view seats and corporate spaces. Heated seats etc.. with phone charger points.

Offer some premium seats to away fans as a bonus allocation £80 a ticket. The big clubs will snap them up.

The premium seats should be full price as well. Too many are took up with kids and OAPs with full priced paying adults stuck out on the wings.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:52 am

nyclaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 am
You would need to extend the pitch.
It was a joke

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:59 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:46 am
CF stand I would buy a little land off the cricket club and extend 15m back, building an area for facilities. Bar, toilets
and food. Only needs to be 8m high or so. This would save the corridor for walking through and become a lot safer. I would add a couple of turnstiles and exit gate for away fans to be accessed from the cricket club, preventing possible clashes on the corner.
It could be added on to the ground (fixed to the existing wall with doorways cut out) so no disruption.

We need cheap seats and the CF is perfect for Burnley.

Swap the family stand around to the Jimmy Mac lower so premium seats can generate more income and kids are closer to the action and bertie bee etc..

Make the Bob Lord two tier and and make into a luxury premium seating stand with great corporate facilities. We only need a few extra seats in the ground (25k cap) but we need plenty more premium view seats and corporate spaces. Heated seats etc.. with phone charger points.

Offer some premium seats to away fans as a bonus allocation £80 a ticket. The big clubs will snap them up.

The premium seats should be full price as well. Too many are took up with kids and OAPs with full priced paying adults stuck out on the wings.
The biggest elephant in the room is the amount of groups in the JM Upper whow now dont include any u18s and haven't for a while.....
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:06 pm

I have always thought rebuilding the Cricket Field Stand as a back to back Stand with a new state of the art pavilion for the Cricket Club, in exchange for the extra land, would make a lot of sense .... there is a similar facility at Headingley Cricket Ground with the other side of the Stand being a Stand for the Rugby ground .....

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:07 pm

So much wrong about the developments at the Turf in the last 30 years - and so much of that lands squarely at the door of Clive Holt and the Burnley culture of "it will be reyt" -

The new corner stands, while apparently well liked by those that use them are the most inappropriate solution to the problem that also severely compromises any future development. The legislation required that accessibility should be to all sides of football stadia and to allow visitors to be part of the overall atmosphere. This solution separates a specific group from that, no matter what their role was in the planning and execution of it.

As has been pointed out numerous times, if the bottom 6 - 8 rows of the longside and and Jimmy Mac were taken out the pitch could be moved, the stands could be aligned, the cricketfield stand could be developed and linked to the longside and Jimmy Mac in a single sweep and you could have accessible seating all around the ground just in front of the box seats, corners filled in to better capture and hold the noise and much more concourse corporate entertaining space. A new roof could be slung across the Bob Lod stand to remove the stanchions and allow a row of corporate boxes at the back of the stand. It would remain lower so that "iconic" view could remain for the longside upper - it adds value to those seats in this plan

You could also go as far as putting a multi-stack carpark on the Brunshaw road car park and where the old gym is at the back of the long side you could make a multi-tier building with fan zone at ground level and corporate above, with a bridge into the longside upper tier, that would allow the central blocks of the upper tier to become corporate seating and improve revenues - cheaper seats would still be available out of the rain but in the ends and corners.

By not be looking to significantly increase capacity you could certainly increase revenues, with the additional corporate seating, but also by reducing walk-on's and season ticket capacity. In a simple exercise of supply and demand more money could be made by balloting match day tickets a couple of times a season, allowing for full match day pricing and it would be possible to to also charge membership subscriptions to access the ballot.

The redevelopment will be focused on generating comfort and secondary spend opportunities as well as offering greater scope for non-matchday revenue generation

I suspect that most of this is already in the thinking of the new owners but just how will they fund it?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:59 am
The biggest elephant in the room is the amount of groups in the JM Upper whow now dont include any u18s and haven't for a while.....
Exactly. By swapping over it can refresh things. It's premium seating with good views so they won't want to move. Especially when they can invent imaginary kids to purchase the seat next to them for free.

Get rid of the empty single seats in both stands as well for a while.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Knock down Bob lord and CFS.
Build new stands, inc corners and executive boxes in BL.

One of the new corners could be for disabled away fans.
The other corner can be more disabled access for our own fans or just normal seating.
That would then ensure seating all around the stadium and help close it off from the elements.

Refurbish the interiors of the other 2 stands, modernise everything from food stands and toilets to WiFi access (even if it's just signal boosters)

Increase the area for parents/children to encourage the next generation of fans (I'd also improve the way tickets are allocated etc in there but I've gone over that before)

I don't know if this is done already, but I'd allocate parking spaces at TM for disabled season ticket holders, either behind JMU or that other car park down by the next Match Board.

Switch the away fan location to the other end of CFS, so their team and fan coaches etc enter down the back of the cricket club, make that area of the ground away fans and team section only on matchday.
Keeps them off the main road and minimises any potential flash points after a game.

Changing rooms - integrate into the new CFS stand, the tunnel location doesn't bother me where it is, but if there was a corner stand there then integrate it so it looks nicer.

I'll probably think of some extras later.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:41 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:34 pm
Knock down Bob lord and CFS.
Build new stands, inc corners and executive boxes in BL.

One of the new corners could be for disabled away fans.
The other corner can be more disabled access for our own fans or just normal seating.
That would then ensure seating all around the stadium and help close it off from the elements.

Refurbish the interiors of the other 2 stands, modernise everything from food stands and toilets to WiFi access (even if it's just signal boosters)

Increase the area for parents/children to encourage the next generation of fans (I'd also improve the way tickets are allocated etc in there but I've gone over that before)

I don't know if this is done already, but I'd allocate parking spaces at TM for disabled season ticket holders, either behind JMU or that other car park down by the next Match Board.

Switch the away fan location to the other end of CFS, so their team and fan coaches etc enter down the back of the cricket club, make that area of the ground away fans and team section only on matchday.
Keeps them off the main road and minimises any potential flash points after a game.

Changing rooms - integrate into the new CFS stand, the tunnel location doesn't bother me where it is, but if there was a corner stand there then integrate it so it looks nicer.

I'll probably think of some extras later.
Any plan for me HAS to keep the shell of the Bob Lord. It is the soul of the club to me
This user liked this post: duncandisorderly

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:41 pm
Any plan for me HAS to keep the shell of the Bob Lord. It is the soul of the club to me
Then you're intentionally restricting the income that a new stand could generate.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm
Then you're intentionally restricting the income that a new stand could generate.
My plan (detailed above), more than makes up for keeping the Bob Lord the same size.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:48 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:07 pm
So much wrong about the developments at the Turf in the last 30 years - and so much of that lands squarely at the door of Clive Holt and the Burnley culture of "it will be reyt" -
Hmm .... the stands we have are functional, rather than inspiring, but you have to see their construction in the context of the time. Our one season in the 2nd tier ( 1994-95 ) qualified us for grants to demolish the Longside/Beehole terraces, and build two new stands. After the grants, the net cost to the Club was £ 2.6m ( just over £5m in today's money ) ....

It's hard to criticise Clive Holt when looking at these figures .... the two Stands were the bargain of the Century !!
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 k90bfc

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:56 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:59 am
Anytime there's a suggestion of moving the adults out, there is always hostility.
Even though the small print on the season tickets allows for it...
They should also monitor how often the kids tickets are used, if its only once or twice a season then it's obvious the adult is having a laugh.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:57 pm

Ignore money being spent on stands buy players first
We've gone down the road of stands before players before
Shift the last food stall to a coffee and food move the present area selling ale to the middle so avoiding half time crush

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:57 pm

Knock down the bob lord? KNOCK DOWN THE BOB LORD?!?!?! %$^&"^$*!*(

We should redevelop the rest, but we should always keep the Bob Lord as a nice, unassuming frontage, before revealing the claret and blue behemoth within.

Plus, I like the idea of folk watching on telly and only seeing the 'worst' stand yet when they actually get here it'd be immense.

Finally, the bob lord middle blocks offer the best and driest view of the game. Apart from the stanchions. I don't think I've ever seen a penalty at the cricket field end.
This user liked this post: ŽižkovClaret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:57 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 pm
My plan (detailed above), more than makes up for keeping the Bob Lord the same size.
Yeah I read your post, I just didn't agree with it.
Wiping out 3 stands to keep one as it is doesn't work for me.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:01 pm

I'd knock down the two 'new' stands before the Bob Lord. Not only does it hold the last remaining bit of character as well as the best seats.. but any redevelopment will always be hampered by the road. There's tons of room around the Longside and BeeHole. And absolutely nobody has any attachment to those stands. They were fairly big and cheap. But if they pulled them down tomorrow, it wouldn't concern me and I've sat in them for 20 odd years.
These 2 users liked this post: ŽižkovClaret yTib

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:01 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:48 pm
Hmm .... the stands we have are functional, rather than inspiring, but you have to see their construction in the context of the time. Our one season in the 2nd tier ( 1994-95 ) qualified us for grants to demolish the Longside/Beehole terraces, and build two new stands. After the grants, the net cost to the Club was £ 2.6m ( just over £5m in today's money ) ....

It's hard to criticise Clive Holt when looking at these figures .... the two Stands were the bargain of the Century !!
And he could even see that they were built in the right area as per contract

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Buy out the cricket club, I’m sure they could make good use of the funds.
Build a new town end stand with safe standing seats, home fans only, and increased capacity.
Away fans in town end of BLS.
Car park and retail outlets on old cricket field, bringing in income.
Job done.

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:09 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:01 pm
And he could even see that they were built in the right area as per contract
So it was a drawing cock up. I've tried to find the plans on the planning portal, but they only go back to 2000 on the Burnley council website.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:07 pm

The new corner stands, while apparently well liked by those that use them are the most inappropriate solution to the problem that also severely compromises any future development. The legislation required that accessibility should be to all sides of football stadia and to allow visitors to be part of the overall atmosphere. This solution separates a specific group from that, no matter what their role was in the planning and execution of it.
I don't think it compromises the development, the new disabled areas are pretty basic really. I believe they were actually designed with future developments in mind and if a new stand was built anywhere - that'll house new, superior disabled facilities and the current corners, particularly the one between the Longside and Jimmy Mac probably being extended and repurposed for something else... with police-box and PA room on the other side being the only permanent parts of that particular project.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:19 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:04 pm
Buy out the cricket club, I’m sure they could make good use of the funds.
Build a new town end stand with safe standing seats, home fans only, and increased capacity.
Away fans in town end of BLS.
Car park and retail outlets on old cricket field, bringing in income.
Job done.
Haven't we been down the route of trying to buy the cricket club back in the Paul Fletcher bread bin days and they turned it down?

Petersa
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by Petersa » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:34 am
Bring back the urinals from the '60s. The stench was enough to make you hold on until you got home :o
For those old enough to remember....I doubt anything would enable you to hold on until you get home.....as I am it probably includes me!

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:29 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Haven't we been down the route of trying to buy the cricket club back in the Paul Fletcher bread bin days and they turned it down?
True but everybody has a price. Wasn’t the lack of an alternate ground part of the problem?
Burnley is surrounded by countryside, I’m sure they could find somewhere.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:42 pm

ChrisG wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:09 pm
So it was a drawing cock up. I've tried to find the plans on the planning portal, but they only go back to 2000 on the Burnley council website.
not even that- the developer had chronically under bid to get the job, got to the site and saw the difficulties and built to drawing specification where it was easiest to do so, not where it should have been. Clive as the Director responsible allowed that to happen on his watch. The specifications where pretty poor too, but that is another failing we see across the town to often as well, it is endemic in the culture and that thoroughly depresses me

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Petersa wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 pm
For those old enough to remember....I doubt anything would enable you to hold on until you get home.....as I am it probably includes me!
Probably why so many did it outside the urinal building :lol:

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6899 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:42 pm
not even that- the developer had chronically under bid to get the job, got to the site and saw the difficulties and built to drawing specification where it was easiest to do so, not where it should have been. Clive as the Director responsible allowed that to happen on his watch. The specifications where pretty poor too, but that is another failing we see across the town to often as well, it is endemic in the culture and that thoroughly depresses me
Could the simple explanation of the siting of the stand not be the fact that it is constrained by the existing access to the rear alleyway serving the terraces properties on Brunshaw Road?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:48 pm

I went to watch baseball a few years ago at the Dodger Stadium. One thing I loved was the open concourse. There are no steps going down onto it, it’s just level with the exits from the stands. You can also see the playing field when on the concourse as well. That’s what I’d like. Even an open back concourse like the Dodger Stadium has as well. Far more open, queues out of the way so no pushing, shoving about.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:53 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:46 pm
Could the simple explanation of the siting of the stand not be the fact that it is constrained by the existing access to the rear alleyway serving the terraces properties on Brunshaw Road?
Think it had more to do with the Police box and the problems under it that were experienced in the building of the corner stands

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:55 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:29 pm
True but everybody has a price. Wasn’t the lack of an alternate ground part of the problem?
Burnley is surrounded by countryside, I’m sure they could find somewhere.
Think Fulledge playing fields were mentioned as a location but I think the main issue on the cricket club side was the lost revenue they would have from our matchdays

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:55 pm

ChrisG wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:09 pm
If I remember correctly there was a big hoohah at the time because the Police refused to allow their control box to be demolished unless an adequate replacement space was found - and no agreeable site could be found so the Jimmy Mac had to be shifted sideways. Football violence was still an issue of considerable concern for the Police in those days.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:58 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:57 pm
Yeah I read your post, I just didn't agree with it.
Wiping out 3 stands to keep one as it is doesn't work for me.
What about those 3 stands makes you want to keep them? The two newer ones are tin sheds with badly designed roofs, and the CFS is long past its best

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:58 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:46 pm
Surely you'd design the stand to be shorter in length but perhaps slightly deeper to keep the nr of seats the same? That said, I'm not an architect. I'll stick to brick counting.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:18 pm

ChrisG wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:58 pm
Surely you'd design the stand to be shorter in length but perhaps slightly deeper to keep the nr of seats the same? That said, I'm not an architect. I'll stick to brick counting.
My point is that in plan it is clear that the stand is constrained by how far south (towards the BL stand) and how far east (towards the properties on Brunshaw Road) it could have been built. Not only does that restrict the depth of the stand but also the length of it. So the option may have been to have a shorter stand with a lower capacity, a less deep stand with a lower capacity, or an off-centre stand with a higher capacity.

Take a look on street view. The stand can't come any closer to Higgin Street (which is an adopted highway) whilst retaining a 2m footpath around the pinch point to the stand.
This user liked this post: ChrisG

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:53 pm
Think it had more to do with the Police box and the problems under it that were experienced in the building of the corner stands
See my post to ChrisG above. The stand can't come any further to the south in it's current design. Perhaps it was designed to sit further south before the pinch point with Higgin Street was established and the club took the view that they would rather retain the design of the stand but site it off-centre rather than redesign it and lose capacity.

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:18 pm
My point is that in plan it is clear that the stand is constrained by how far south (towards the BL stand) and how far east (towards the properties on Brunshaw Road) it could have been built. Not only does that restrict the depth of the stand but also the length of it. So the option may have been to have a shorter stand with a lower capacity, a less deep stand with a lower capacity, or an off-centre stand with a higher capacity.

Take a look on street view. The stand can't come any closer to Higgin Street (which is an adopted highway) whilst retaining a 2m footpath around the pinch point to the stand.
Makes sense, increase number of seats which will generate more than in income than the cost uplift over time is probably preferable from an operational point of view, and will take precedence over a wonky look which is purely cosmetic.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Post by expoultryboy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:25 pm

In the 80s we should of had the seats facing the other way !
This user liked this post: Beaconsfield Claret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:28 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:58 pm
What about those 3 stands makes you want to keep them? The two newer ones are tin sheds with badly designed roofs, and the CFS is long past its best
We've just built x2 corner stands, that's the reason why I'd keep JM and JH stands.
Then I'd refurbish them inside.
What can you do with a roof when the rain tends to come across the top of the BL directly into JH?
If the BL was higher then maybe that would help...

I've already said I'd demolish CFS etc, see what I've put before.

durhamclaret
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by durhamclaret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:44 pm

Just sell up and move (I’ll just go and get my tin hat).