Sean Dyche on the ESL

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Sean Dyche on the ESL

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:27 pm

Speaking to the Burnley Express today:

"It came out after the game at Manchester United and I didn't really offer too much about it, and with good reason because I had a strong feeling what was probably going to happen, and that was a reaction from all, and certainly the fans.

"I think, eventually, the fans have looked after football in a way, they have gripped hold of a situation and come out with a strong voice against.

"I would be interested in knowing what the six were thinking before, and after.

"If they had a Zoom call between the six, I wouldn't have minded being a fly on the wall listening to that, after the event and before.

"I think football has found its way and fans are powerful.

"People have suggested that fans will weaken because of the strength of media and finance, but I think it is good for the game now and again when fans do gather their thoughts and come together collectively and say 'no, we are not having that'

"And that has been a powerful thing on this occasion."

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Re: Sean Dyche on the ESL

Post by Corky » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:38 pm

He doesn't actually say that he is against it, does he?

Inchy
Been Liked: 1334 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:50 pm

from that quote, a blind man on a galloping horse can see he's against it
These 3 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret fidelcastro Taffy on the wing

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8706 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:31 pm

Prefer Pep Guardiola on the topic.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Corky wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:38 pm
He doesn't actually say that he is against it, does he?
Don't worry, what he says to the media and what he says to Woan in their bachelor studio flat after 48 tinnies apiece, are two different things.
This user liked this post: EricaJacko

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:01 am

Ben Mee has been giving his views of the ESL to the Guardian

All the captains shared our views on the Super League – and they were not positive
Ben Mee
We play for the fans, not people in boardrooms, says Burnley’s captain, and this greed-fuelled idea must never be seen again

Fri 23 Apr 2021 20.00 BST

I said from the start the European Super League would be dead within a week but I was not expecting it to have come and gone in 48 hours. The idea was based on pure greed and I hope we never see its like again.

My first reaction was disbelief. Those who came up with the concept and those who signed up to it do not understand what football means to people. The clubs involved hid behind the pandemic and claimed it would bring stability to the sport, which I could not believe. Fans and players saw through it very quickly.

From the moment we got on the bus after losing at Old Trafford on Sunday, it is all the Burnley squad have talked about. There was a lot of anger within the team because we could not comprehend how these people could do this to our game. You know things are serious when Jordan Henderson sends a message to the Premier League captains’ WhatsApp group.

We all shared our similar views on the matter there, and needless to say they were not positive. Those at the clubs involved were put in an incredibly difficult position, knowing their employers were trying to do something against their wishes. They love football and would not want anything to happen to the Premier League. We understand our responsibilities and I am sure some of the boys took their conversations further. We had a meeting planned for Wednesday night but, luckily, we did not require it as the house of cards collapsed after witnessing the backlash.

The captains are willing to put rivalries aside and speak to one another, something that I do not think would have happened before last year. We like to think we have made a positive impact with this and our money-raising for the NHS, and hopefully we can continue to do so on a wide range of topics for the better of the game and society.

It was fantastic to see fans mobilise immediately to ensure their voice was heard and this idea was thrown out. The supporters are always behind us and it is right we are there to back them up. We are not just players, we are football fans who have grown up with the sport and know what it means to people in the stands and at home. We are the lucky ones, living out our childhood dreams and those of the people who pay their hard-earned money each weekend to watch teams play.

Footballers play for the fans, not people in boardrooms. No one scores a goal or makes a last-ditch tackle to earn the praise of the owners. They do it for the feeling they get when the crowd roars. The feeling of elation when we win is the same as it was as a kid, something those who know little about football cannot relate to. Football is about competition and enjoyment – that’s why we love the game. Without that it’s just business.

When I started hearing Florentino Pérez discuss shortening matches as young people cannot possibly cope with 90 minutes of live football, it summed up how ludicrous the concept was. There are always going to be tweaks that can be made to improve the game but this one proves how little credibility these people have. Pérez sounds like someone who is a little bit desperate to earn his money for a club in a lot of debt.

What gives these clubs the right to say they are the best six? Leicester won the title in 2016, whereas Spurs have never won the Premier League. Their plans would have devalued the Premier League, a competition revered around the world, just so they could line their own pockets. This is our national game, the biggest sport around the world and 12 clubs somehow concluded, without consultation, they were more important than anyone else. It was a self-serving idea, not one to aid the rest of the football pyramid.

The business of football has not made too much of an impact on my career, because for some reason no brands want me to front their shampoo or deodorant campaigns, but you are always aware of it in the background. I like to focus on what I am good at on the pitch and leave the people that are supposedly the experts on stuff away from it to do their job. Burnley’s finances have been controlled really well over the last few years and we are in a really good position. Not all clubs can say the same.

To not consult players and coaches, even though the decision would have a dramatic impact on their careers, showed a lack of respect. These are people who have played in the best leagues all over the world, won major trophies from the Champions League to the World Cup, but owners ignored them in this whole desperate process, thinking that being well-remunerated means they will go along with anything.
These 4 users liked this post: RammyClaret61 Zlatan JohnMac Taffy on the wing

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 am

IanMcL wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:31 pm
Why?

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 am

IanMcL wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:31 pm
Not sure why you are having a pop at Dyche.

If you prefer a person pretending they didn't know something then fair enough. Pep said it wasn't sport, dont remember him saying he wouldn't manage City in it.

Holmeclaret
Been Liked: 201 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Holmeclaret » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:01 am

All the captains shared our views on the Super League – and they were not positive
Ben Mee
We play for the fans, not people in boardrooms, says Burnley’s captain, and this greed-fuelled idea must never be seen again

I said from the start the European Super League would be dead within a week but I was not expecting it to have come and gone in 48 hours. The idea was based on pure greed and I hope we never see its like again.

My first reaction was disbelief. Those who came up with the concept and those who signed up to it do not understand what football means to people. The clubs involved hid behind the pandemic and claimed it would bring stability to the sport, which I could not believe. Fans and players saw through it very quickly.

From the moment we got on the bus after losing at Old Trafford on Sunday, it is all the Burnley squad have talked about. There was a lot of anger within the team because we could not comprehend how these people could do this to our game. You know things are serious when Jordan Henderson sends a message to the Premier League captains’ WhatsApp group.

We all shared our similar views on the matter there, and needless to say they were not positive. Those at the clubs involved were put in an incredibly difficult position, knowing their employers were trying to do something against their wishes. They love football and would not want anything to happen to the Premier League. We understand our responsibilities and I am sure some of the boys took their conversations further. We had a meeting planned for Wednesday night but, luckily, we did not require it as the house of cards collapsed after witnessing the backlash.

The captains are willing to put rivalries aside and speak to one another, something that I do not think would have happened before last year. We like to think we have made a positive impact with this and our money-raising for the NHS, and hopefully we can continue to do so on a wide range of topics for the better of the game and society.

It was fantastic to see fans mobilise immediately to ensure their voice was heard and this idea was thrown out. The supporters are always behind us and it is right we are there to back them up. We are not just players, we are football fans who have grown up with the sport and know what it means to people in the stands and at home. We are the lucky ones, living out our childhood dreams and those of the people who pay their hard-earned money each weekend to watch teams play.

Footballers play for the fans, not people in boardrooms. No one scores a goal or makes a last-ditch tackle to earn the praise of the owners. They do it for the feeling they get when the crowd roars. The feeling of elation when we win is the same as it was as a kid, something those who know little about football cannot relate to. Football is about competition and enjoyment – that’s why we love the game. Without that it’s just business.

When I started hearing Florentino Pérez discuss shortening matches as young people cannot possibly cope with 90 minutes of live football, it summed up how ludicrous the concept was. There are always going to be tweaks that can be made to improve the game but this one proves how little credibility these people have. Pérez sounds like someone who is a little bit desperate to earn his money for a club in a lot of debt.

What gives these clubs the right to say they are the best six? Leicester won the title in 2016, whereas Spurs have never won the Premier League. Their plans would have devalued the Premier League, a competition revered around the world, just so they could line their own pockets. This is our national game, the biggest sport around the world and 12 clubs somehow concluded, without consultation, they were more important than anyone else. It was a self-serving idea, not one to aid the rest of the football pyramid.

The business of football has not made too much of an impact on my career, because for some reason no brands want me to front their shampoo or deodorant campaigns, but you are always aware of it in the background. I like to focus on what I am good at on the pitch and leave the people that are supposedly the experts on stuff away from it to do their job. Burnley’s finances have been controlled really well over the last few years and we are in a really good position. Not all clubs can say the same.

To not consult players and coaches, even though the decision would have a dramatic impact on their careers, showed a lack of respect. These are people who have played in the best leagues all over the world, won major trophies from the Champions League to the World Cup, but owners ignored them in this whole desperate process, thinking that being well-remunerated means they will go along with anything.
What a sound lad he is. Level headed, articulate and genuine. He could go far in management and I’d like to think he might manage Burnley one day.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:27 am

It's not by any stretch the players fault, but this kind of thing was always going to happen when wages alone nearly outstrip revenue. The big clubs saw a chance to stretch their margins and did it. I hate the idea, but it seems lost on outraged pundits and players that the financial model of football is in part the problem. Integrity of competition must be protected at all costs, but I hope this starts broader conversations on the direction of football. It's in a mess.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 am

It’s a very Dyche response. Carefully measured. I tend to side with Corky that he doesn’t actually state that he stridently opposes it.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:13 am

steve1264b wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 am
Not sure why you are having a pop at Dyche.

If you prefer a person pretending they didn't know something then fair enough. Pep said it wasn't sport, dont remember him saying he wouldn't manage City in it.
It's not a dig at Mr Dyche at all. He gave a very measured, non committal response. That's ok.

However, I preferred the more emotional, football response, from PG. I also thought Gary Neville was great.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:13 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 am
It’s a very Dyche response. Carefully measured. I tend to side with Corky that he doesn’t actually state that he stridently opposes it.
Talking loud but saying nothing. Made me think it was the sort of thing a politician would draft.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:14 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 am
Why?
See above.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Corky wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:13 am
Talking loud but saying nothing. Made me think it was the sort of thing a politician would draft.
That's the norm for SD. He has said that the most important thing is to keep Burnley in the Prem. To do that we need to start winning games. Wolves tomorrow is more immediately critical than a super league which SD can do nothing about. According to the Real Madrid chairman, all the clubs signed binding contracts and cannot walk away. SD opinion does not matter, he cannot influence it either way
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:08 am

Josh Brownhill takes his turn - from the Mail - he really wants to play in front of the fans though

Burnley's Josh Brownhill believes teams such as the Clarets make the Premier League the 'best league in the world' and NOT the Big Six amid the recent European Super League saga
The Premier League is still reeling from this week's European Super League saga
England's 'Big Six' pulled out of the controversial project 48 hours after joining
Burnley's Josh Brownhill says the top flight is great due to teams like the Clarets
The midfielder featured in Burnley's victories at Liverpool and Arsenal this term
By ADAM LANIGAN FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 22:31, 24 April 2021 | UPDATED: 00:05, 25 April 2021

Manchester United, Liverpool and other members of the 'Big Six' may think they provide the glamour in the Premier League. But it's teams like Burnley who make the division such a compelling spectacle around the world.

That's certainly what midfielder Josh Brownhill thinks. Now in their fifth straight season in the top flight, Sean Dyche's side continue to give a bloody nose to the big boys.

The Clarets famously ended Liverpool's 68-game unbeaten home league record in January, which had stretched back nearly four years for Jurgen Klopp's team, while they also won at Arsenal in December.

It's unpredictable results like that which offer hope to clubs in the Championship and below of just what is possible. So it's why Brownhill, the rest of the Burnley dressing room and virtually all of football were dead against the European Super League.

'This is why it's the best league in the world because we go away to Liverpool and beat them and we go away to Arsenal and beat them,' he says. 'We get shock results that people wouldn't expect because it's such a competitive league.

'To take that away from us for these big clubs to go into a division on their own against all the top people would affect not only us, but the Championship, and clubs in Leagues One and Two.

'We're happy that it's not gone ahead. It's very important for the fans to keep football the way it is as you don't want to change what is not broken.'

Burnley are at Wolves this lunchtime, six points clear of Fulham, who occupy the final relegation spot, with Sean Dyche's team still needing points to make sure of survival.

Brownhill joined from Bristol City in January 2020 and he's desperate to stay up so he can finally have the full Premier League experience.

'I remember sitting on the bench at Turf Moor in my first few games thinking I can't wait to play in front of the fans,' he admits.

'I've only played three minutes when I came on for my debut against Bournemouth. It's strange because I feel like I've been here a long time, so I can't wait for it happen.'

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 3187 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:17 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:01 am

Ben Mee

Ben Mee ......making us proud, every day.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 am

Remember Dyche was in full support of PPV

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:33 am

joey13 wrote: