Lions squad announcement

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Lions squad announcement

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:13 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57007546

37 man squad named, and there's some big names not on the list. 11 England, 10 Wales, 8 Ireland, 8 Scotland, so you certainly can't accuse gatland of not involving all the respective nations.

casualclaret
Been Liked: 16 times

Re: Lions squad announcement

Post by casualclaret » Thu May 06, 2021 7:27 pm

Good squad overall. A decent balance. A few suprising ommisions. Kyle Sinckler , Billy Vunipola and Jonny Sexton are the ones that spring to mind. Good to see Sam Simmonds in there. No suprise to see Alun Wyn Jones captain.

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Thu May 06, 2021 8:30 pm

I have to admit that I am pleased to see Billy vunopula not included after his show of support for Israel folau.

That aside, I see the BBC site posters are already whining about a stack of English players not being picked. 5th, wasn't it? If I had to take 11 englanders, I guess that's not far off what I'd have taken, save, maybe slade for farrell.

From a red perspective, pleased for zammo and Adams, Wyn Jones (the prop) was our player of the 6 nations. Surprised there is no navidi, but equally surprised that Gareth Davies was selected, as I don't think his form is that great at the moment.

I had a go on that selection for first test device on the BBC website and found that I'd ended up picking 5 Scots. I'd have been on the usual 2 this time last year.

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 am

timshorts wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:30 pm
I have to admit that I am pleased to see Billy vunopula not included after his show of support for Israel folau.
I'm pleased he's not been picked because he's woefully out of form.

From the rest, I'd have taken Ryan instead of Hill (I just don't see it with him??). I also have concerns about Zammet not from an ability level (he's outstanding) from a physicality perspective, a tour of SA could ruin him at his age and his potential is so huge.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Caballo wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 am
I'm pleased he's not been picked because he's woefully out of form.

From the rest, I'd have taken Ryan instead of Hill (I just don't see it with him??). I also have concerns about Zammet not from an ability level (he's outstanding) from a physicality perspective, a tour of SA could ruin him at his age and his potential is so huge.
Zammet is someone who can score tries from anywhere, and equally create scores for others, so I can understand why he's been included, he may not start but he's a great replacement to bring on in the last 20 when players are tiring and the game might open up.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Fri May 07, 2021 11:44 pm

I must admit I thought he’d take Sexton, but can understand why he didn’t. I also thought Sinckler would be on the plane - I do rate him and still maintain had he not been wiped out so soon in the RWC final 2019 we’d have fared a lot better at the scrum and breakdown.

And for what it’s worth, I’d probably have taken May although I’ve lost count of the number of arguments around whether he’s a decent rugby player or just a runner that I’ve had and heard. He’s like Rugby Union’s version of Adama Traore.