Nobel Prize for Mathematics

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Nobel Prize for Mathematics

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 08, 2021 4:10 pm

... Awarded to a community group in Sunderland for helping kids with learning disabilities with maths homework.

Happy?

Or would that be a farce?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Re: Nobel Prize for Mathematics

Post by DCWat » Sat May 08, 2021 4:29 pm

There isn’t a Nobel prize for mathematics?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat May 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Go on then.... Diane Abbott

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 08, 2021 6:39 pm

The point I'm making is that would be an international scandal if the elite professional activiy of maths was dismissed as such, but that everyone just blithely accepts without any media critique that it's OK for the elite profession of Fine Art to be poltically usurped and societally dismissed in such a fashion by the choosing of The Turner Prize nominess this year.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat May 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Just doesn't add up.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun May 09, 2021 1:12 am

Mathematics is discovered, not created, and all art is propaganda. The parallel you're drawing to object to the Turner Prize nominees is flawed and nonsensical. "Fine Art" is little more than class paraphernalia, gatekept by elites whose interpretation of so-called Fine Art is used as a signifier of their education and upbringing. Doggerel scrawled on the door of a toilet cubicle is as true an expression of human nature as Homer. Sure, Michelangelo might have put in the hours dissecting cadavers in order to better understand human anatomy, thus perfecting his craft in order to create impressive looking statues, but a cock drawn quickly on a wall with little thought behind the act tells us as much about human nature as does David — which is to say: a lot, or not much at all, depending on your read of it.

It's the interpretation of art that matters, not the maximisation of arbitrarily defined qualities of whose importance is determined according to the values of self-appointed judges. Otherwise, in an attempt to make the so-called highest expression of art, maximising those aspects which allegedly elevate a work of art to a work of Fine Art, art becomes little more than a mechanical exercise in complexity. By that logic, objectively speaking the most artistic music (and so relatively speaking the only truly artistic form of music) would be some kind of unlistenable avant-garde experimental microtonal jazz played at a ludicrous tempo in an indecipherable metre. The point is, so-called Fine Art being conveniently gatekept by eloquent elites with the class-endowed privilege of being able to actually study art without having to bother about getting a real job to pay the mortgage — them drawing upon a knowledge of canonical Western art in order to assert their supposed authority in defining what constitutes Fine Art, and asserting its superiority over all other art — this distinction is a political one, and is used to political ends. It's not always a qualitative distinction. The Mona Lisa is pi$$. It's utter $hyte. Within the framework I've described, me believing this naturally makes me a pleb. So-called cultured people are supposed to love it, and I suspect a few of them actually do, rather than just pretend to.

Art is interpretative. Art is political. Always has been, always will be. Even objecting to this fact is an inherently political act, because it rejects the validity of an artistic expression of some kind or other — some message communicated through an artistic creation with the intention of it being interpreted by an audience — a statement made in a way which falls outside of the historically established, gatekept boundaries which define what actually constitutes art. If a work of art can be easily cast aside as not being art, then its message is easily cast aside also. Anyone uncomfortable with the message communicated through art will be tempted to declaim it as not being art. So you can see why this is political. Prizes are won when a consensus opinion is formed. That sounds quite political, does it not? So by definition it's all political, and the awarding of prizes is just a form of ritual ceremony which legitimises the political messages made in prize-winning or even prize-nominated art. Pstotto, your objection isn't necessarily to the politicisation of art and the spectacle surrounding it, but the direction in which that political wind is blowing.
This user liked this post: Pstotto

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Post by yTib » Sun May 09, 2021 1:40 am

pstotto strikes me a man who shouts at the mirror; a true misanthrope.

i've never known why he thinks here is a vehicle for his paranoia but then maybe that's an oxymoron.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sun May 09, 2021 1:57 pm

Thank you for taking the time to think about this Spiral, written by Alf Garnet. yTib I'm a misanthrope of this societal sptectacle for sure and I don't like the way it is going, espcially being at the far side of a poltical and cultural directive and poor and ill as a result.

If you look at the lastes blurb for prospective entrants to the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, they are calling it Shonibare's show, which calls for all artists to apply who feel marginalised and oppressed by Western values (at a real cost of about £200 at least to enter).

I have written to the Royal Academy that if they are actively against The Western Enlightenment as stated, then allow me to put a case for that and high art to represent it, to show a differentiation between that and what his remit is.

It's a cultural plot by the likes of the Karma Foundation with Vivien Suter as the main thrust of touching base in the West as the triumph of the antithesis of Hitler and his exhibitions of so-called 'degenerate art.'

As a result, folk like Spiral kow-tow intellectually by saying art is just propoganda.

It's to say that art=currency and we set the currency and coinage and it's corrupt from the top, hence no reply from the RA as yet.