Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:51 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:49 am
To be fair Macca we are Just 12 months behind palace. I said it a few months ago they will start the season with a really strong team given the amount they are investing.
I seem to remember that working well for Fulham a few years ago when they essentially bought a new team, and Villa the season before.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:59 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:51 am
I seem to remember that working well for Fulham a few years ago when they essentially bought a new team, and Villa the season before.
It looks like they have let 4 first teamers go and signed four. Not exactly like signing a brand new team.

I imagine we will be looking to do similar next year with the number of players we have out of contract

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:01 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
To be fair Macca we are Just 12 months behind palace. I said it a few months ago they will start the season with a really strong team given the amount they are investing.
We are, but I'm hoping for 2 if not 3 incomings that will go some way to easing the rebuild in 12 months time, as it will mean only the same is needed again.

We are a window or 2 behind an ideal world, but hopefully the new guys can turn that around in the next 13 months.

Then you only arguably need to upgrade ( or 1 for the future ) 1 position a window to improve the squad and keep moving forward.
What we cannot afford to do is stand still, we certainly cannot go backwards from here as that will be catastrophic.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 am

Palace ars one of the team's I thought we could finish above but after their signings I'm a bit worried, we've so far brought in two players, one for the future once Tarkowski has been sold and a cover keeper, none are immediate first team starting player's and that's the area we desperately need, yes the window isn't closed yet but it's on its way

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:07 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
True, I can remember that post & actually agreeing with you, that much focus was going on the outgoings nobody seemed to paying any attention to the incomings, in some posters eyes it was almost like they’d be starting the season with 7 players, as I recall 1 poster said they had signed 1 player from the championship suggesting 1 addition, I also correctly said further signings would be completed & further extensions would be agreed & lo & behold.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:07 am

Palace are one of the team's I thought we could finish above but after their signings I'm a bit worried, we've so far brought in two players, one for the future once Tarkowski has been sold and a cover keeper, none are immediate first team starting player's and that's the area we desperately need, yes the window isn't closed yet but it's on its way

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 am

Palave have made, what appears to be, some very promising additions. I think we'd all have been absolutely thrilled if we'd pulled off Olise, Guehi, Andersen, and now (highly probably) Gallagher in one window. They've also kept hold of far more of their experienced players than it looked like they might, so it's not a case of a brand new starting eleven.

The question mark over them now is Vieira. I've no idea what sort of PL manager he'll make, but Palace are recruiting very well for him.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:22 am

I cannot understand why some posters on here thought that Crystal Palace would end up in a dire situation this coming season.

Probably because seeing the rebuilding job needed, they believed that Palace would just let the transfer window drift by without managing to invest in the squad and recruit some quality players to strengthen in key areas.

They see what is happening at Burnley and thought that would be the case at Palace also.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 am

nyclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:44 am
I will be shocked if we manage to sign AMN. Just can't see it happening.
I think most on here will be surprised if we sign anyone let alone AMN 🤔 🙄

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:30 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:07 am
True, I can remember that post & actually agreeing with you, that much focus was going on the outgoings nobody seemed to paying any attention to the incomings, in some posters eyes it was almost like they’d be starting the season with 7 players, as I recall 1 poster said they had signed 1 player from the championship suggesting 1 addition, I also correctly said further signings would be completed & further extensions would be agreed & lo & behold.
I think if Veira is a success they could finish top half. This is most likely there starting eleven going into the season, I think this is a really strong team.

Guaita
Ward Andersen, Guehi, Mitchell
Konyate, Milejovic, Olise
Zaha, Benteke, Ayew

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 am

Firthy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 am

Pace needs to pop along to the ATM before signing AMN :)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:39 am

I'm just trying to think back to the last Arsenal outfield player that wasn't deemed good enough for them, but was successful at a different club.

Walcott and Iwobi haven't impressed at Everton (although we might have accepted their performances here).

I'm just wary as Sunderland and Newcastle went downhill after signing Man U cast offs. They're generally expensive and not on an upward curve in their career. Their parent club obviously doesn't believe they will get any better, therefore selling.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 am

Firthy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 am
I'll be VERY shocked if we don't sign anyone. Stop being so negative. There's about five weeks left in the window yet.
This user liked this post: mill hill claret

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:39 am
I'm just trying to think back to the last Arsenal outfield player that wasn't deemed good enough for them, but was successful at a different club.

Walcott and Iwobi haven't impressed at Everton (although we might have accepted their performances here).

I'm just wary as Sunderland and Newcastle went downhill after signing Man U cast offs. They're generally expensive and not on an upward curve in their career. Their parent club obviously doesn't believe they will get any better, therefore selling.
The goalkeeper at Villa?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:00 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:30 am
I think if Veira is a success they could finish top half. This is most likely there starting eleven going into the season, I think this is a really strong team.

Guaita
Zaha, Benteke, Ayew
Benteke - last season he had a purple patch and banged in 10 league goals, his best season since 2016/17, Viera really needs to ensure he can carry that on.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 pm

Re Palace, I'm not worried at all.

On signings (so far), the only two I have heard of are Olise and Andersen. Olise I watched last year and thought he was very inconsistent. Suspect it's a good long term signing, but no immediate concern. Andersen I was a huge fan of, until we played them and I thought we tore him apart. Very poor. All players have bad games, but he was inconsistent, particularly at the end of last season.

Gallagher, if true, would be a very good signing, but I absolutely wouldn't want us to be involved in loans - fills a gap for one season then creates one when he goes back, very short-term thinking. If we were so desperate for players I would much rather we played our own youth like Richardson/Mancini because we'd reap the long term benefits.

Add to that, they have lost a very experienced manager and replaced him with someone with none, lost a whole load of their experienced players, and presumably are funding this spending spree through the probable sale of wantaway winger Zaha (who was instrumental for them last season).

Assuming the sale of Zaha, and possibly even without, I still think they head in to next season collectively weaker than they were last year. It may all instantly click for these new players and manager, but it's a very, very high risk strategy they've taken.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 am
The goalkeeper at Villa?
He did stress OUTFIELD players. I don't think anybody would deny that Martinez has proved an excellent signing for Villa.

Where I'd disagree with the comparison to Newcastle/Sunderland and their signings of Man Utd cast-off's is AMN is still only 23, whereas as far as I recall many of the Utd players were entering the latter stages of their careers.

If we could pick AMN up for a reasonable fee, maybe £10m or so, and he wasn't on crazy wages he'd be an ideal purchase, but I guess there will be other suitors chasing him, and we might struggle in a bidding war.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:13 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:00 pm
Benteke - last season he had a purple patch and banged in 10 league goals, his best season since 2016/17, Viera really needs to ensure he can carry that on.
He had a fair campaign last season, however he still bagged less than Chris Wood AGAIN, and he's been signed for about twice the price.

Imagine the reaction on this forum if we forked out £30m+ for a striker with his goal ratio, there quite rightly would be a meltdown.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:19 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 pm

On signings (so far), the only two I have heard of are Olise and Andersen. Olise I watched last year and thought he was very inconsistent. Suspect it's a good long term signing, but no immediate concern. Andersen I was a huge fan of, until we played them and I thought we tore him apart. Very poor. All players have bad games, but he was inconsistent, particularly at the end of last season.

Gallagher, if true, would be a very good signing, but I absolutely wouldn't want us to be involved in loans - fills a gap for one season then creates one when he goes back, very short-term thinking. If we were so desperate for players I would much rather we played our own youth like Richardson/Mancini because we'd reap the long term benefits.

Add to that, they have lost a very experienced manager and replaced him with someone with none, lost a whole load of their experienced players, and presumably are funding this spending spree through the probable sale of wantaway winger Zaha (who was instrumental for them last season).

Assuming the sale of Zaha, and possibly even without, I still think they head in to next season collectively weaker than they were last year. It may all instantly click for these new players and manager, but it's a very, very high risk strategy they've taken.
I would say turning our noses up at a quality loan for someone like Gallagher and playing the likes of Richardson or Mancini is the high risk strategy. If we're so short that we have to chuck in an unproven U23 player and play them regardless, then our place in the PL is seriously at risk along with the all the money that we are so dependent on.

Loans may well be the only way we can go at this point. Madness to discount them all together.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:39 am

Gnabry has done alright since leaving Arsenal.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:37 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:19 pm
I would say turning our noses up at a quality loan for someone like Gallagher and playing the likes of Richardson or Mancini is the high risk strategy. If we're so short that we have to chuck in an unproven U23 player and play them regardless, then our place in the PL is seriously at risk along with the all the money that we are so dependent on.

Loans may well be the only way we can go at this point. Madness to discount them all together.
Loans often come with conditions, such as guaranteeing game time. There's no way SD will have another club dictate to him on team selection.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:39 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:00 pm
That’s a good point but between Zaha, Benteke, Ayew, Olise they will score more than enough to keep them up.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:39 pm

Not sure why folk are wetting themselves over:
Olise(from Championship)
Guehi(good season in Championship)
Gallagher(just decent at Baggies)
and Andersen(good season with some very poor games in a relegated side)

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 pm

It’s an interesting take on there signings, all of them are top signings for lower end clubs.

They have signed the championship young player of the season.
The Cb in the championship team of the season.
Andersen had a great season for Fulham and got rave reviews.
Gallagher is similar played well in a poor team and got rave reviews from pundits.

All four of them signings would improve Burnley’s team/squad.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:31 pm
Gnabry has done alright since leaving Arsenal.
He's done very well, but I was meaning in the premier league.

It's strange though how many flop. Is it too mentally draining for players who thought they had it all and they struggle to lift themselves for their new club?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:44 pm

Just gone to put £50 on Palace to finish top 4 with these signings and was amazed to see that the bookies have them shorter odds than us to be relegated. They must not know about these signings or we are a brilliant price.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:45 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:19 pm

In that statement, I am assuming that we have enough funds/players identified to fill the major gap in our first team: right wing. I think that is a fair assumption given Dyche's comments that there is "money available" and "one or two things we are hopeful on". If there weren't funding to address that key position, I would agree a loan would be the only, if undesirable, option.

What I wouldn't want to see is loan players then used to substitute any of our other first team positions or to "pad out" our squad, even if they were arguably better quality than what we have. I'd rather give Brownhill another season in the team than take Gallagher, for example. Or allow Mancini to cover a new right winger than find loan cover.

I know plenty are calling for multiple signings, and I can understand why, but I think we must go quality over quantity.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:51 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:29 am
Cheeky bid for Aaron Lennon ?
No bid required. I posted a couple of days ago and included him in a list of possible candidates. He recently terminated his 2 year contract with Kayserispor by mutual consent so he is currently a free agent.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles ... or-4378559

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:57 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm
It’s an interesting take on there signings, all of them are top signings for lower end clubs.

They have signed the championship young player of the season.
The Cb in the championship team of the season.
Andersen had a great season for Fulham and got rave reviews.
Gallagher is similar played well in a poor team and got rave reviews from pundits.

All four of them signings would improve Burnley’s team/squad.
Not disputing they'd be good signings for us, although Gallagher isn't a signing really. I personally take very little pride from borrowing another teams player at this level.

Or you could look at it that there's two Championship players who will need time to step up (as we found with Eze, Benrahma - neither tearing up trees in the PL, despite being talented players and I'd say both were ahead in their development) and two players who were unable to save their previous sides from relegation.

My point is more that, if evaluating their signings, you also have to fully consider their loss of an experienced manager, their loss of experienced PL players and their likely loss of their best player & highest goal scorer/assister to form a fair assessment of their prospects next season.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:59 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:45 pm
In that statement, I am assuming that we have enough funds/players identified to fill the major gap in our first team: right wing. I think that is a fair assumption given Dyche's comments that there is "money available" and "one or two things we are hopeful on". If there weren't funding to address that key position, I would agree a loan would be the only, if undesirable, option.

What I wouldn't want to see is loan players then used to substitute any of our other first team positions or to "pad out" our squad, even if they were arguably better quality than what we have. I'd rather give Brownhill another season in the team than take Gallagher, for example. Or allow Mancini to cover a new right winger than find loan cover.

I know plenty are calling for multiple signings, and I can understand why, but I think we must go quality over quantity.
I would agree entirely in that case then. If we can sign one quality right midfielder who can start games straight away, then I would be more than happy to allow the U23 players to be the reserves. If not, then we'll have to consider loans (despite the fact they often come with fines if they don't make a certain number of appearances as TFC pointed out) or we'll be putting our PL future at great risk.

Fingers crossed that Dyche's hopefulness is well-founded.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:01 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:44 pm
Just gone to put £50 on Palace to finish top 4 with these signings and was amazed to see that the bookies have them shorter odds than us to be relegated. They must not know about these signings or we are a brilliant price.
Or the bookies are banking on lots of silly people who know sweet FA about football being daft enough to throw there money away ;)

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:04 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:57 pm
Not disputing they'd be good signings for us, although Gallagher isn't a signing really. I personally take very little pride from borrowing another teams player at this level.

Or you could look at it that there's two Championship players who will need time to step up (as we found with Eze, Benrahma - neither tearing up trees in the PL, despite being talented players and I'd say both were ahead in their development) and two players who were unable to save their previous sides from relegation.

My point is more that, if evaluating their signings, you also have to fully consider their loss of an experienced manager, their loss of experienced PL players and their likely loss of their best player & highest goal scorer/assister to form a fair assessment of their prospects next season.
I appreciate they have lost players but in reality only 4 of them played more than 10 times last season.

I liked Roy thought he was a decent manager, however Viera seems to be one of the next phase of young managers coming through. I suspect with the team at his disposal it is unlikely he will take them down.

I have yet to see anyone linked with Zaha so I would say it is more than likely he will be there all season. I personally think Palace will finish around mid table similar to last season.

However, I think Newcastle, Watford, Brentford, Norwich, us Southampton and Brighton will be battling out towards the bottom.

The one main thing on our side is we comfortably have the best manager out of them other 5 teams.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:12 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:59 pm
I would agree entirely in that case then. If we can sign one quality right midfielder who can start games straight away, then I would be more than happy to allow the U23 players to be the reserves. If not, then we'll have to consider loans (despite the fact they often come with fines if they don't make a certain number of appearances as TFC pointed out) or we'll be putting our PL future at great risk.

Fingers crossed that Dyche's hopefulness is well-founded.
I think clubs will only agree to loans if you intend to play them regularly, or surely there is no benefit to them/the player (unless it's a Drinkwater situation where they just want a wages contribution), so irrespective of fines, I think if you are looking at loans you're admitting you have a major gap in your first team that you have no plan/can't afford to fill. That's a pretty poor situation for a PL club (given all the money they have) and a fair sign of mismanagement of your squad, imo. Championship clubs and below is entirely understandable.

That's why, when I see clubs like Palace and particularly Newcastle saying they are "operating in the loan market", I find it quite staggering.

Although, as much as I dislike loans, it's a good question as to whether I'd prefer it to relegation. And our current situation is quite unique given previous years of underinvestment. Part of me thinks that if that's what we deserve to go down with our own players, I'd accept it, but in the reality of watching that unfold I'd probably change my mind.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:52 am
It would certainly quiet me down.
Dear God, please let this happen!!! 😂😂😂
This user liked this post: Newcastleclaret93

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:04 pm
I appreciate they have lost players but in reality only 4 of them played more than 10 times last season.

I liked Roy thought he was a decent manager, however Viera seems to be one of the next phase of young managers coming through. I suspect with the team at his disposal it is unlikely he will take them down.

I have yet to see anyone linked with Zaha so I would say it is more than likely he will be there all season. I personally think Palace will finish around mid table similar to last season.

However, I think Newcastle, Watford, Brentford, Norwich, us Southampton and Brighton will be battling out towards the bottom.

The one main thing on our side is we comfortably have the best manager out of them other 5 teams.
We'll see, I suppose. One of those things that will either click and they'll have a great year - new manager bounce, etc - but their opening vs Chelsea, Brentford, West Ham, Liverpool & Spurs won't make that easy.

Zaha - not really bothered either way. Part of me would like to see no interest in him given his behaviour, and Palace stuck with a player who doesn't want to be there, but I cant see where there cash is coming from otherwise.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:24 pm

Nixon has just said that at the 20m Arsenal want it is not happening at this stage.

Let’s hope Arsenal drop there price would love to sign him

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:24 pm
Nixon has just said that at the 20m Arsenal want it is not happening at this stage.

Let’s hope Arsenal drop there price would love to sign him
A structured deal like we did for Collins is probably their best hope of getting close to £20 million, wanting it up front ain't gonna happen

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:34 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:59 pm
If we can sign one quality right midfielder who can start games straight away, then I would be more than happy to allow the U23 players to be the reserves.
Mancini was energetic and enthusiastic in the game against league 2 Blackpool, with a couple of nice touches, but he isn't the answer to our winger deficiency. He is too slow, to slight and in case nobody noticed predominantly left footed. The main reason he stood out was that he was playing like a man possessed, while our first teamers seemed happy to treat it as an interesting warm up.

He normally plays CM when he turns out for the development squad, in what is commonly a five man midfield. In their games he has shown the same traits that he did against Blackpool, but he can be reliant on others to provide the raw physicality that he currently lacks.

From what I've seen his best qualities are his passing game and his general awareness. However, put him in the fast paced and highly physical PL and he will get turned inside out and upside down. Spotting and playing a quality pass in the comfort of a five man midfield against a team of other youngsters is one thing, but surging down the right wing under pressure and floating in shot creation crosses with your weak peg is another thing entirely.

He has had time to settle so we should really be looking to send him out on loan so that he compete for a spot in league football.

Hardly any of our development players are ready for the rigorous demands of Championship football, never mind PL games. The only reason that they made the bench last season is because it would have been empty without them and their presence allowed some of our first teamers to book a bit of rest time.

We need proven performers. Given our finances that probably isn't going to be guaranteed first team starters of a good age. Not unless they are on free transfers or in the twilight of their careers and looking for a new contract. For my money they are more likely to be cheaper players who have played at a level equal to the Championship and shown the potential to improve further.

The type of players that we used to sign and now form the body of our first team. Established players in their mid twenties who have slipped under the radar and could realistically be available at below market prices for one reason or another.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:40 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:34 pm
Mancini was energetic and enthusiastic in the game against league 2 Blackpool, with a couple of nice touches, but he isn't the answer to our winger deficiency. He is too slow, to slight and in case nobody noticed predominantly left footed. The main reason he stood out was that he was playing like a man possessed, while our first teamers seemed happy to treat it as an interesting warm up.

He normally plays CM when he turns out for the development squad, in what is commonly a five man midfield. In their games he has shown the same traits that he did against Blackpool, but he can be reliant on others to provide the raw physicality that he currently lacks.

From what I've seen his best qualities are his passing game and his general awareness. However, put him in the fast paced and highly physical PL and he will get turned inside out and upside down. Spotting and playing a quality pass in the comfort of a five man midfield against a team of other youngsters is one thing, but surging down the right wing under pressure and floating in shot creation crosses with your weak peg is another thing entirely.

He has had time to settle so we should really be looking to send him out on loan so that he compete for a spot in league football.

Hardly any of our development players are ready for the rigorous demands of Championship football, never mind PL games. The only reason that they made the bench last season is because it would have been empty without them and their presence allowed some of our first teamers to book a bit of rest time.

We need proven performers. Given our finances that probably isn't going to be guaranteed first team starters of a good age. Not unless they are on free transfers or in the twilight of their careers and looking for a new contract. For my money they are more likely to be cheaper players who have played at a level equal to the Championship and shown the potential to improve further.

The type of players that we used to sign and now form the body of our first team. Established players in their mid twenties who have slipped under the radar and could realistically be available at below market prices for one reason or another.
Thanks - I couldn't get to the Blackpool game sadly so wasn't aware of how Mancini looked. Given we are set let Benson leave, I'd assumed he was impressing enough to take his place as the young midfielder with the first team. It's always a risk to throw in the U23s, but at the moment we have very little choice.

I do agree though that our tried and tested recruitment strategy of signing established players in their twenties whose careers have stalled is the way to go for us. Doesn't look like there is much about though at the moment.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Latest from Nixon when asked if anything is happening at Burnley.

“The grass is coming on a treat in this weather”

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:43 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 pm
Latest from Nixon when asked if anything is happening at Burnley.

“The grass is coming on a treat in this weather”
He doesnt know....
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:43 pm
He doesnt know....
People keep saying that but this season he was spot on with every single first team transfer.

First to report BPF to Wednesday, Collins to Burnley and Hennessey.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:07 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
He doesnt know....
Doesnt take a brain surgeon to realise some lovely sunshine, then down pour is good for grass, couple that with the fact theres been no action on it, it will be in as good a shape as it's ever been.

Again, he's spot on.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:

Blackpool are in the championship.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:46 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:30 am

Guaita
Zaha, Benteke, Ayew
Potentially even stronger or weaker than that if more are added or more leave, not as threadbare as some posters were trying to make out a couple of week ago that’s where I was agreeing with you & disagreeing with others.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:51 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
He doesnt know....
Lots of people, perhaps the younger ones, and moderator's occasionally, just don't get light hearted sarcasm

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:53 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:46 pm
Potentially even stronger or weaker than that if more are added or more leave, not as threadbare as some posters were trying to make out a couple of week ago that’s where I was agreeing with you & disagreeing with others.
So a few weeks ago before they'd appointed a manager and had decided who was going/staying and some of us were saying that's a jig rebuild... We were right, it is a big rebuild and is unfinished and it will be interesting to see how they get on.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:

I'm confused. You say that he was 'energetic and enthusiastic' then 'slow' and ' slight' followed by 'playing like a man possessed'. Personally, I don't think he stood out at all for the 45 mins. he was on the field probably because he was the latest victim to be told to take up the poisoned chalice.of our right sided midfield position. I think it is perfectly clear now that whoever is asked to play there from the current squad will at very best have an indifferent game. The little I've seen of Mancini he looks a decent footballer but to judge him over half a game playing in a position where he is patently uncomfortable is folly. The player who did make an impression was Richardson, maybe because he was playing somewhere he felt comfortable and familiar with.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:47 pm

This thread is like Groundhog Day without any humor….. Dross upon Dross.

Who cares about Crystal Palace!
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Woodleyclaret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:48 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:53 pm
So a few weeks ago before they'd appointed a manager and had decided who was going/staying and some of us were saying that's a jig rebuild... We were right, it is a big rebuild and is unfinished and it will be interesting to see how they get on.
I wouldn’t quite put it like that myself but hey ho :D