Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by Local cricketer » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Maybe there is a reason nobody has made a move for Jed Wallace

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:08 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:00 pm
I've been banging on about signing Wallace for two season's now, hes the type of right winger we need he scores goals and puts loads of crosses in also very strong on the ball, wages and fee wouldn't be a problem and I'm sure we could even do a cash plus player deal and get rid of one the squad player's like Barnes, cork or Bardsley
Unless we signed direct replacements for Barnes Cork and Bardsley, I don’t think they’ll be going anywhere. Especially Barnes and cork, who are still plenty good enough for us.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Shaggy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:11 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 pm
Have you considered that we may not be able to afford a player like Wallace?

I get that everyone wants us to make a better signing than Lennon.. and I do too but I think people are forgetting we're cash strapped. Even if a player has one year left he will still demand a fee.

If we have no money left for transfers then maybe Lennon is the only option.
If that’s the case then we may aswell just pack it in.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 tiger76

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:11 pm

superdimitri wrote:

I get that everyone wants us to make a better signing than Lennon.. and I do too but I think people are forgetting we're cash strapped. Even if a player has one year left he will still demand a fee.

Are we cash strapped? I have no idea if we have money available to be honest. Have I missed something?

Bigvince

Post by Bigvince » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Is Wallace any good, I haven’t seen enough of him to form an opinion?

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:14 pm

Bigvince wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:11 pm
Me neither, but I've never heard of cornet either, but, the sack the board posters will be out in force if we don't sign him, even though he's got zero interest in playing for burnley

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:20 pm

Obviously won’t happen because we’ve got no cash and can’t recruit, but Will Hughes would be a very good signing. Played tucked in off the right in the season Watford did quite well, and could move into CM in the longer term.

I’m sure Lennon will be just as good, though.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:21 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Are we cash strapped? I have no idea if we have money available to be honest. Have I missed something?
I don't think anyone knows for certain but due to the takeover we lost a bunch of money and we've just signed Collins for a fee rumored to be around 12 million.

I certainly hope it's not the case, but I'm trying to offer some balance to the argument. If we end up taking Lennon on it may just be because we don't have the money for anything better.

And herein is the wider issue, we generally don't have enough money to improve on players we've already got. Either that or our scouting and recruitment is just way off. Players like Wallace are not guaranteed to be better in the premier league than Lennon and demand a fee.

I'll be disappointed if Lennon signs and we don't sign another winger but it's a whole lot better than signing no one.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:35 pm

Collins is already paid for with the Gibson + Benson + other outgoing fees, right? So we've got a net spend of close to £0.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:51 pm

superdimitri wrote:

If we're that cash-strapped than serious questions need to be asked, like what was the point of the takeover, and accruing all that debt, we might as well have carried on as we were, at least under MG for all his failings we posted a profit every year, AND crucially we were debt free in the event of dropping down to the Championship, and we'd be in a far healthier position to push for promotion again ala 15/16, now if we do drop, and sadly I think we will, we face a firesale simply to leverage our debt repayments, so if you think it's bad now, imagine how much worse life will be in the Championship.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:54 pm

If these discussions were taking place on 1st September id agree, but lets see what happens this month before having a complete meltdown
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:55 pm

The club wasn’t sold because that was what was best for the club, it was sold because the owners wanted to sell it.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret fatboy47

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Let's not forget that we were cantering towards relegation until Lennon got injured and Dyche had no option but to give McNeil an extended run and that pretty much got us back on an even keel. Getting Lennon back would be a total disaster - he's unproductive and a drag on the wages. Wallace, on the other hand, would be an ideal buy - hard working, lots of crosses and a Dyche type player.

Les Lawrence
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by Les Lawrence » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:02 pm

If we've no money,we will do what we've always done and sell a player.Pope or McNeil ,who else could we get decent money for?Taylor,Wood,Tarkowski that's probably it

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:04 pm

Me neither, but I've never heard of cornet either, but, the sack the board posters will be out in force if we don't sign him, even though he's got zero interest in playing for burnley
You've never heard of Cornet but yet, you know he has zero interest in playing for Burnley! :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: BertiesBeehole Quicknick

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:05 pm

By all accounts we offered £13m for Cornet, tried to sign Ashley Young on (one would imagine) £50k a week, tried to sign Marc Albrighton for what I assume would be a large-ish fee and again big salary, tried/trying to sign Ainsley Maitland-Niles for a large fee and large salary, and are being linked with Lookman/Hughes and plenty others. Hennessey and Collins also will have cost us a lot (Hennessy in salary terms).

We have seemingly spent millions on tarting up the hospitality suites, the digital signage etc (and....not to mention....RECARO SEATS IN THE DUGOUTS).

How does this any of this add up to cash strapped?

We are clearly knee deep in negotiations to get players in, it hasn't happened yet in the wing areas, granted. Let's perform the autopsy after the window closes, because we may well get what we need in - and I am not referring to Aaron Lennon.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:07 pm

I find it hard to believe there is literally no money available. I’m sure we wouldn’t even be considering the likes of Cornet and AMN if there was nothing.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:07 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:35 pm
Collins is already paid for with the Gibson + Benson + other outgoing fees, right? So we've got a net spend of close to £0.
Is he, or did those sales just help to put some balance on the books for last seasons probable financial loss?

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Bigvince wrote:
Wallace is very good and I am in complete agreement with those who have put his name forward. The problem is can we afford him and another winger ?

Oh, and will Millwall sell him.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:08 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:51 pm
If we're that cash-strapped than serious questions need to be asked, like what was the point of the takeover, and accruing all that debt, we might as well have carried on as we were, at least under MG for all his failings we posted a profit every year, AND crucially we were debt free in the event of dropping down to the Championship, and we'd be in a far healthier position to push for promotion again ala 15/16, now if we do drop, and sadly I think we will, we face a firesale simply to leverage our debt repayments, so if you think it's bad now, imagine how much worse life will be in the Championship.
The takeover stuff is really off-topic for this thread, so I don't want to go down that rabbit hole here. I think the aim of this window should be to bolster numbers to cover potential injuries. I think its too soon to be expecting signings that improve our 11.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope if Lennon does sign he's a second winger.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:10 pm

BigChaCha wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:04 pm
You've never heard of Cornet but yet, you know he has zero interest in playing for Burnley! :lol:
Because thats whats been reported

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:12 pm

Grumps wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:10 pm
Because thats whats been reported
It’s also been reported, yesterday, that we are still keen on him. I doubt we are still in for him if he’s got zero interest in joining, that would be nonsensical, even for our recruitment!

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2309 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:12 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:08 pm
I think its too soon to be expecting signings that improve our 11.

Wow...somebody's on message.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:14 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:12 pm
It’s also been reported, yesterday, that we are still keen on him. I doubt we are still in for him if he’s got zero interest in joining, that would be nonsensical, even for our recruitment!
Because weve never done that before :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: RVclaret

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:21 pm
we've just signed Collins for a fee rumored to be around 12 million
Someone mentioned we got a split of money because Norwich and Watford bounced back also we sold Gibson and Benson for £8m-9m. We haven’t really spent anything yet

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:07 pm
Is he, or did those sales just help to put some balance on the books for last seasons probable financial loss?
Very fair point. Which puts us on the back burner for further incomings.

Hoping this takeover yields some good financial income otherwise it's all seemingly been for nothing.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:33 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:31 pm
Left backs should be the last place we are looking to recruit, I think they're both good, with each having their stregths which benefits the side when playing.
I think you need to look at it a little differently. We could go into the season with Pieters as the cover for Taylor as a left back and the cover for Mc Neil as a left midfielder.

Great, well done that man for his flexibility, but can you see the potential problem ?

It's fairly straight forward, if anything should happen to Pieters then we would no longer have a back up for Dwight and Taylor. We would be running on vapours and exposed in two positions.

So we can bring in a left winger or a left back to give us the advantage of an extra man. In which case the flexibility of Pieters ( and possibly an incoming left winger with defensive qualities or a left back with the athleticism to get up and down the pitch as well as cross the ball ) would gives us the depth that we might need.

Bringing different positions into consideration, like left back or central midfield, will increase the pool of players that we could be looking at. As an added bonus, we are going to need players for those positions in the next season or two anyway - so why not get it done now.

More players equals more technical flexibility in the squad, a better chance of navigating any injuries and more opportunities to rest key players without fielding the development squad players.

When you are up against it the choices stop revolving around what you would like to do and they narrow down to what you can realistically do. Sometimes that involves entertaining tangenital options that wouldn't normally be up for consideration.

Like I said in my last post, I would prefer two young wingers with potential, but as the days tick on the transfer doors continue to close and open. The problem is that the door that you are waiting to open might remain shut and then you are in trouble.

I've previously listed my own winger suggestions for this window in the form of Carlos Mane, Brian Ocampo and Abdou Hurroui, but even these were made on the assumption that we would have little to no money to spend. I've also posted that I think Jed Wallace is the player that would best suit us, but you can't always have what you want.

Other cheap options like Alex Mowatt, Jordan Graham, Ryan Gauld ( too flimsy for my liking ) and Adam Reach have already moved. All of them could have played a role, filling in one way or another.

The only other candidate I can see being available for a cheapish price is Ryan Christie.

In terms of central midfielders, Dan Barlaser ( who looked good in relegated Rotherham last season and when he was playing at Accrington the season before ) and Jamie McGrath ( who was excellent for St Mirren last season and is attracting a bit of interest in this window, with 500K being the rumoured price point clubs will have to reach to sign him ) are two that I like the look of.

My top pick for a young defensive midfielder, who could be viewed as a long term replacement for Cork, would be Patrick Berg of Boldo / Glimt, along with his left back team member Fredrik André Björkan whose contract ends this year. Sticking with Bodo / Glimt Alfons Sampsted is a right back we could look at, but I prefer Christian Dahle Borchgrevink of Valerenga.

The contract of Henrik Heggheim, a central defender, who plays for Viking FK is also set to end this season. I think he is well worth a look at and to a much lesser extent Halldor Stenevik, who plays as an inverted right wingerfor Stromsgodset. Sticking with those clubs Joe Bell, a central midfielder of Viking, caught my eye along with Johan Hove who plays for Stromgodset in the same position.

Yup, I watched the Norwegian Elite Serien last year.

Ethan Erhahon is another interesting player on the books of St Mirren and Connor McCarthy who is a central defender. The right sided defender I thought we might have looked at was Thomas Holmes at Reading. He is a similar type of player to Collins, but 2 years older a few cm shorter and possibly 10m cheaper. Ryan Porteus of Hibs should have definitely been on our target list as well. I discounted Ciaron Brown, Dominic Hyam, Connor Ogilvie from the cheap list and a bunch of quality foreign players that would not have scored enough points to get a work permit.

Looking across Europe I would have liked us to consider Amos Pieper as a big money signing, but his quality appearances in the U21 Euros might have made him a difficult target to get over the line.

Reading also have the left sided Tom McIntyre on their books who might have been worth a second look before they signed him up to a new long term contract. For me the stand out left sided centre back in the Championship is probably Jake Cooper. In terms of one for the future I liked the look of Robert Atkinson who moved to Bristol City in this window.

Kean Bryan and Jake Clarke-Salter might be two other options we could consider.

Why am I talking about central defenders, because we will need one or possibly two next year. If any team does make a late bid for Tarks ( or more likely a Winter window bid ) I'm not sure that ALK will have the strength to resist a cash now or nothing later offer - even if it is a low one. Should such an offer be made in the next few weeks we could enter the season with Mee, the untested Collins, an injured Long and a development player. Tell me that is a very troubling thought. Even if that scenario doesn't arise we will still need additions next year with the contracts of Mee and Tarks set to end.

We can't restrict our thinking to this window, we need to think about what is coming down the road and how prepared we will be for multiple eventualities - players leaving / staying and the club being in the PL / Championship. Our biggest downfall in recent times has been our complete disregard for forward planning. Even our transfer strategy for this window looks a lot like " the one that we should have set in motion last year " instead of the one that was best for this season.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:35 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm
Someone mentioned we got a split of money because Norwich and Watford bounced back also we sold Gibson and Benson for £8m-9m. We haven’t really spent anything yet
That new domestic TV deal means that the Premier League have to pay grasroots football an extra £25m a year for the next 4 seasons - I would expect the saved parachute money to cover that bill

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:46 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:33 pm

The only other candidate I can see being available for a cheapish price is Ryan Christie.
What position does he play? looks a player

burnmark
Been Liked: 592 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by burnmark » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 pm

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:49 pm

burnmark wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 pm
Talks opened with Cornet?

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/t ... r-21228303
Looks like a copy and paste job from the L’equipe article the other day

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:49 pm
It's a strange article, saying we've opened talks with the player, but really only mentioning we've had discussions with the club... Allegedly

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:49 pm
Yep correct. And Nixon has now said the new 10m figure reported is wrong.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:56 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:52 pm
Yep correct. And Nixon has now said the new 10m figure reported is wrong.
Yep and he is now saying the reason it isn’t happening is “either great tactics or lack of funds”

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:10 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:33 pm
I think you need to look at it a little differently. We could go into the season with Pieters as the cover for Taylor as a left back and the cover for Mc Neil as a left midfielder.

Great, well done that man for his flexibility, but can you see the potential problem ?

It's fairly straight forward, if anything should happen to Pieters then we would no longer have a back up for Dwight and Taylor. We would be running on vapours and exposed in two positions.

So we can bring in a left winger or a left back to give us the advantage of an extra man. In which case the flexibility of Pieters ( and possibly an incoming left winger with defensive qualities or a left back with the athleticism to get up and down the pitch as well as cross the ball ) would gives us the depth that we might need.

Bringing different positions into consideration, like left back or central midfield, will increase the pool of players that we could be looking at. As an added bonus, we are going to need players for those positions in the next season or two anyway - so why not get it done now.

More players equals more technical flexibility in the squad, a better chance of navigating any injuries and more opportunities to rest key players without fielding the development squad players.

When you are up against it the choices stop revolving around what you would like to do and they narrow down to what you can realistically do. Sometimes that involves entertaining tangenital options that wouldn't normally be up for consideration.

Like I said in my last post, I would prefer two young wingers with potential, but as the days tick on the transfer doors continue to close and open. The problem is that the door that you are waiting to open might remain shut and then you are in trouble.

I've previously listed my own winger suggestions for this window in the form of Carlos Mane, Brian Ocampo and Abdou Hurroui, but even these were made on the assumption that we would have little to no money to spend. I've also posted that I think Jed Wallace is the player that would best suit us, but you can't always have what you want.

Other cheap options like Alex Mowatt, Jordan Graham, Ryan Gauld ( too flimsy for my liking ) and Adam Reach have already moved. All of them could have played a role, filling in one way or another.

In terms of central midfielders, Dan Barlaser ( who looked good in relegated Rotherham last season and when he was playing at Accrington the season before ) and Jamie McGrath ( who was excellent for St Mirren last season and is attracting a bit of interest in this window, with 500K being the rumoured price point clubs will have to reach to sign him ) are two that I like the look of.

My top pick for a young defensive midfielder, who could be viewed as a long term replacement for Cork, would be Patrick Berg of Boldo / Glimt, along with his left back team member Fredrik André Björkan whose contract ends this year. Sticking with Bodo / Glimt Alfons Sampsted is a right back we could look at, but I prefer Christian Dahle Borchgrevink of Valerenga.

The contract of Henrik Heggheim, a central defender, who plays for Viking FK is also set to end this season. I think he is well worth a look at and to a much lesser extent Halldor Stenevik, who plays as an inverted right wingerfor Stromsgodset. Sticking with those clubs Joe Bell, a central midfielder of Viking, caught my eye along with Johan Hove who plays for Stromgodset in the same position.

Yup, I watched the Norwegian Elite Serien last year.

Ethan Erhahon is another interesting player on the books of St Mirren and Connor McCarthy who is a central defender. The right sided defender I thought we might have looked at was Thomas Holmes at Reading. He is a similar type of player to Collins, but 2 years older a few cm shorter and possibly 10m cheaper. Ryan Porteus of Hibs should have definitely been on our target list as well. I discounted Ciaron Brown, Dominic Hyam, Connor Ogilvie from the cheap list and a bunch of quality foreign players that would not have scored enough points to get a work permit.

Looking across Europe I would have liked us to consider Amos Pieper as a big money signing, but his quality appearances in the U21 Euros might have made him a difficult target to get over the line.

Reading also have the left sided Tom McIntyre on their books who might have been worth a second look before they signed him up to a new long term contract. For me the stand out left sided centre back in the Championship is probably Jake Cooper. In terms of one for the future I liked the look of Robert Atkinson who moved to Bristol City in this window.

Kean Bryan and Jake Clarke-Salter might be two other options we could consider.

Why am I talking about central defenders, because we will need one or possibly two next year. If any team does make a late bid for Tarks ( or more likely a Winter window bid ) I'm not sure that ALK will have the strength to resist a cash now or nothing later offer - even if it is a low one. Should such an offer be made in the next few weeks we could enter the season with Mee, the untested Collins, an injured Long and a development player. Tell me that is a very troubling thought. Even if that scenario doesn't arise we will still need additions next year with the contracts of Mee and Tarks set to end.

We can't restrict our thinking to this window, we need to think about what is coming down the road and how prepared we will be for multiple eventualities - players leaving / staying and the club being in the PL / Championship. Our biggest downfall in recent times has been our complete disregard for forward planning. Even our transfer strategy for this window looks a lot like " the one that we should have set in motion last year " instead of the one that was best for this season.
RW has to be a priority IMO, then maybe a CM ( will Hughes for instance ) which makes 4 CM, with Brownhill the back up right sided player.
That in turn keeps an eye on next season too, with Cork OOC, and surely needing to be replaced.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:14 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:46 pm
What position does he play? looks a player
I would say his main position is central attacking midfielder. He has also played on both wings and in central midfield. However, when he has played out on the right it has been as an inverted winger, with the natural tendency for a left footer to drift into the middle of the pitch. The same is true, albeit to a lesser degree, when I've seen him play on the left.

In that sense he is a similar type to Harry Wilson, who I decried in the last transfer window. However, he is a bit more robust and he doesn't hog all of the scoring chances to the detriment of the team like Wilson does. Christie isn't ideal, in terms of his playing style and his playing preferences, but I think he has qualities that we could work with and shape.

He ticks the box for, not what we would be looking at if we had more time and money, but what we could possibly go for. With his contract set to end in December, and no news of him signing a new one, he might fall into the cheap option bracket.

Looking to the future we might have to evolve towards playing some games with an attacking midfielder instead of our usual two up top. Obviously, the gaffer loves having two physical centre forwards up front, although Vydra was more of a free role busy bee last season, but our finances might force us to change. If Vydra leaves us at the end of his contract, or we sell a striker down the line, then we might struggle to afford a quality replacement. Having another forward option on the books, albeit a very different one, isn't ideal - but once again, it might be better than nothing.

Thinking through " best we might be able to do " options makes me sad. Had we employed a quality Technical Director instead of Mike Rigg I suspect we would be in a very different position now.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:17 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:10 pm
RW has to be a priority IMO, then maybe a CM ( will Hughes for instance ) which makes 4 CM, with Brownhill the back up right sided player.
That in turn keeps an eye on next season too, with Cork OOC, and surely needing to be replaced.
We have a one year extension option with Cork, if I'm not mistakes. Stephens is more likely to be the one to go, but I'm on board with your thinking in respect to a central midfielder.

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Little old burnley again.i followed the clarets a lot of years and we never had money

Bigvince

Post by Bigvince » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:57 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:56 pm
Yep and he is now saying the reason it isn’t happening is “either great tactics or lack of funds”
No idea what he means by great tactics

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm

Bigvince wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:57 pm
Holding out for a cheaper price, presumably.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:03 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:14 pm
I would say his main position is central attacking midfielder.
Hmm, no edit option. I forgot to say that in our framework we would probably play him on the left wing. I have seen him drift in from time to time when playing that role, but he can hold the line and deliver some quality crosses when called upon. Like I said, qualities we can work with. His experience in other positions would be added flexibility for us, but I can't see him being a stand out option for us on the right wing unless we change the way we play ( or maybe he can and does ).

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:08 pm

Bigvince wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:57 pm
I'm assuming it refers to the French clubs being absolutely brasic, due to the collapse of their TV deal, meaning if you play hard ball and keep a poker face right until the end of the window, they may well cave (maybe??)

Bigvince

Post by Bigvince » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:15 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:08 pm
I'm assuming it refers to the French clubs being absolutely brasic, due to the collapse of their TV deal, meaning if you play hard ball and keep a poker face right until the end of the window, they may well cave (maybe??)
Ahh, or someone nips in, and beats you to his signature.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill tiger76

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:23 pm

I'm beginning to think ALK were banking on selling one of our better players in order to finance incomings (Pope, perhaps) and that's why there was talk of Young and Albrighton.
Since there have been no acceptable offers for our players things have gone quiet

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:28 pm

I would say watch this change now villa have had a windfall

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Nixon reporting that Norwich are looking like favourites for Adam Armstrong from our neighbours , is Cantwell about to leave them for Villa too as Buendia did earlier in the window? The window is about to really come to life

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:06 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:02 pm
Nixon reporting that Norwich are looking like favourites for Adam Armstrong from our neighbours , is Cantwell about to leave them for Villa too as Buendia did earlier in the window? The window is about to really come to life
Except for us :D

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:13 pm

I’m hoping that the new owners have been shrewd and come out smelling of roses at the end of the window , and it turns out to have been good work. I still have relative faith yet for this window

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:14 pm

Brownhill is an integral member of our team not a"back up player"
I dont understand why people on here want to question his ability

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Christie would be a no brainer at less than £10m i would have thought, international player likes to get crosses in quality on the ball, whats not to like?

Can push Dwight for his position too or JBG