Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1557 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:19 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:14 pm
Brownhill is an integral member of our team not a"back up player"
I dont understand why people on here want to question his ability
Maybe at the moment but I think the aim will be to improve on him.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:24 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:23 pm
I'm beginning to think ALK were banking on selling one of our better players in order to finance incomings (Pope, perhaps) and that's why there was talk of Young and Albrighton.
Since there have been no acceptable offers for our players things have gone quiet
I think we were planning on the assumption that the interest shown in Tarks last season would repeat itself and some club would happily cough up 30-40m for him, bank rolling this transfer window.

If that was the case we didn't take into account that he was pushing for a move last season, possibly to improve his Euro selection chances. He tried to do right by us, giving us fair warning, but we failed to address the matter as soon as the window opened - or before in the case of foreign free transfers.

When the offer from West Ham came in we dithered about trying to up the price and spent a lot of time chasing after Worral and Fry who were being associated with premium evaluations. Somebody must have then thought, Stoke sell us players on the cheap, we will go for Collins. However, we found out very quickly that while Stoke were very happy to offload their veteran high wage earners on us for a million or so it was a different story when we were trying to buy a player they weren't eager or desperate to sell.

The end result was that we kept hold of Tarks and we kept on plugging away at Collins by upping our offer by 2.5m every window until we got him. And then we found out that it doesn't really make any financial sense for Tarks to push for a move during this window when he can run down his contract and book himself a big signing on fee as a free agent.

Neither does it make much sense for a club to come in with a big offer for him. The other clubs will have seen our accounts and they must know we are cash poor. So they can offer a vastly reduced fee at the end of this window or during the winter window and we may well take it. They won't be bidding for the player they will be bidding to pick him up early avoid him going elsewhere on a free. Weakening us at the start or mid season would be a bonus.

The net result was that the club probably lost 20-30m by not getting a quality replacement in early last season so that we could consider selling Tarks when the offers came in. By the time we reacted it was far too late and selling him in the latter weeks of the window, with no suitable replacement in sight, would have given our relegation chances a huge boost.

What makes our transfer movements last season even more daft is that we had money in the bank, we had freed up a lot of space in our wage bill and we knew that Gibson would play no further part in our thinking. Whether Tarks stayed or went didn't change the fact that we should have been actively searching for a new centre back as early as possible. Why we didn't do that is beyond all good reason.

Other than selling Tarks we might have been hoping that some club would offer up a tasty nibble on Vydra. When neither of those things materialised we probably entertained the idea of selling a player we hadn't planned on selling in this window, thinking we might be able to bring in a replacement if it happened ( Pope or Dwight ).

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:29 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 pm
Christie would be a no brainer at less than £10m i would have thought, international player likes to get crosses in quality on the ball, whats not to like?

Can push Dwight for his position too or JBG
I'd hope if we're genuinely interested in Christie we'll snap him up for way less than £10m, I'd say about £4-5m is about right given his contract expires in less than 5 months, and there's been no word up here of him signing a new deal.

If we could get him and that Wallace lad from Millwall, suddenly it will have been a decent window after all. :)

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Post by minnieclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:37 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm
Holding out for a cheaper price, presumably.
Or great tactics by his agent?

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:48 pm

burnmark wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 pm
Talks opened with Cornet?

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/t ... r-21228303
Is it because Pieters played right wing that people think that a left back is the answer to our right wing problem?

According to the French press Lyon want to get rid of him so that they can use the funds to buy a left winger. Apparently they're interested in Palmieri of Chelsea.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Let’s just sign someone please now. Don’t understand how we don’t have enough money for just a £10-£15M player when we have been in the prem for years.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:48 pm
Is it because Pieters played right wing that people think that a left back is the answer to our right wing problem?

According to the French press Lyon want to get rid of him so that they can use the funds to buy a left winger. Apparently they're interested in Palmieri of Chelsea.
Before last season Cornet has spent his entire career as a winger, as has been mentioned multiple times already on this thread.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:53 pm

dibraidio wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Cornet is primarily a left winger. Played left wing back a lot last year but that’s probably why we are interested as it shows his defensive pedigree. We play wingers one side or the other doesn’t seem to matter to us. Cornet would be a very good player for us but we don’t seem to be able to entice him here.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:56 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:24 pm
Neither does it make much sense for a club to come in with a big offer for him. The other clubs will have seen our accounts and they must know we are cash poor. So they can offer a vastly reduced fee at the end of this window or during the winter window and we may well take it. They won't be bidding for the player they will be bidding to pick him up early avoid him going elsewhere on a free. Weakening us at the start or mid season would be a bonus.
Which accounts will they have seen that show we're cash poor?

You live in a fantasy world.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret ClaretInLeeds

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:13 pm

There is no need to panic yet over incomings yet, there is still plenty of time to get things over the line...er.. then again perhaps any one of three situations could influence the final outcome in this window for us. Is it the case that we really are so potless that we can't even put in even very modest bids on players that we have been linked with ? Or is it the case that we can only do any business of note if we sell one or two of our best assets first and bids for them seem in short supply ? Or are the club using the tactic that there will be lots of players available in the last few days of the window because clubs will be desperate to raise cash or that players expectations of getting a better deal with higher wages are not being realised so are willing to except lower deals than they expected. Whichever it is things do not bode well for us at the moment.

I was quite confident that we would bring in some decent players but had expected to lose Tarks and Dwight so perhaps that may still happen but will any of our targets still be available if left very late ? To hear however we are being linked to Lennon and Will Hughes starts to ring some alarm bells for me. Hughes was ok 2 or 3 years back but for me has not fulfilled his potential and has started going backwards. Lennon would simply be a very retrograde step especially at his age and not good enough for the PL. If that is what we are looking at doing then its not good enough.

I can't see what the problem is with Ryan Christie from Celtic. He only has a contract until this December surely we have enough cash to pay a nominal fee to buy that out plus a small sweetner as he has publicly said he wants to leave and Celtic themselves have said they are likely to have a big clear out. Someone will get him cheaply and he must be a far better bet than Lennon. I constantly see reports that the club are interested in players and will be making a bid but given no bid seems to materialise even for players who are valued at very modest prices for example Doig at Hibernian so what exactly is the problem. No loans seem to materialise. Statements were made that the club wanted to not only strengthen and improve the squad but that they needed a larger squad of players capable of performing at PL level. So far the squad is actually smaller than last season. I still believe incomings will happen but please they have to be better quality than Lennon et al.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:16 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:50 pm
Let’s just sign someone please now. Don’t understand how we don’t have enough money for just a £10-£15M player when we have been in the prem for years.
A £10-15m player we'll be lucky we can't even get free agents over the line due to their wage demands. and I don't think people expect big money signings, but surely we can pick up some bargains from the lower reaches can't we, there's been several names mentioned on this thread who shouldn't be beyond us if the will is there to get the deals over the line, and perhaps more importantly aren't on obscene salaries, so just maybe we need to broaden our horizons in the marketplace, and this reluctance to move away from the tried and tested experienced pros could well be in large part down to our gaffer, but we may have no option if the usual targets are beyond our financial means.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:21 pm

Maybe the next few days will see things move along

After seeing that injury to fofana wouldn’t be surprised if Tarks moves

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:28 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:16 pm
A £10-15m player we'll be lucky we can't even get free agents over the line due to their wage demands. and I don't think people expect big money signings, but surely we can pick up some bargains from the lower reaches can't we, there's been several names mentioned on this thread who shouldn't be beyond us if the will is there to get the deals over the line, and perhaps more importantly aren't on obscene salaries, so just maybe we need to broaden our horizons in the marketplace, and this reluctance to move away from the tried and tested experienced pros could well be in large part down to our gaffer, but we may have no option if the usual targets are beyond our financial means.
Same old, same old. Every player seems to be beyond our financial means if you read this forum. Let's just hope they're wrong, I fear the worst if we don't bring in some youth and pace.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10903 times
Has Liked: 5582 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:29 pm

Apparently Norwich have made a big offer for Armstrong from Blackburn, close to the Venky's valuation

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3020 times
Has Liked: 3737 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:30 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:29 pm
Apparently Norwich have made a big offer for Armstrong from Blackburn, close to the Venky's valuation
Bloody hell, even Norwich are paying up to sign players now!!

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:32 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:21 pm
Maybe the next few days will see things move along

After seeing that injury to fofana wouldn’t be surprised if Tarks moves
Hmm! nasty injury by the sound of it, how much could we now get for Tarks top end, £25m maybe.

And if that deal has to happen to help Leicester out, but also to ensure we get 2/3 deals over the line, then we'd have to seriously consider it.

The stark reality is we stand to lose Tarks for nowt in less than 12 months, and we'll need to source a replacement CH, either in the next 2 windows, or next summer without question, however we also lack wide players, so if we can do business with Leicester over Tarks, which then allows us to bolster our squad, or dare I suggest it even our starting XI, we'd be daft not to entertain them, as long as it was a decent offer.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:35 pm

Firthy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:28 pm
Same old, same old. Every player seems to be beyond our financial means if you read this forum. Let's just hope they're wrong, I fear the worst if we don't bring in some youth and pace.
I agree 100%, there is still around 4 weeks to go, so it's far too early to panic, however our opening PL game is now only 10 days away, and hopefully that fact will focus minds in the boardroom.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1675 times
Has Liked: 753 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:35 pm

Maybe a shame Allbrighton has signed a new 3 year deal

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:32 pm
Hmm! nasty injury by the sound of it, how much could we now get for Tarks top end, £25m maybe.

And if that deal has to happen to help Leicester out, but also to ensure we get 2/3 deals over the line, then we'd have to seriously consider it.

The stark reality is we stand to lose Tarks for nowt in less than 12 months, and we'll need to source a replacement CH, either in the next 2 windows, or next summer without question, however we also lack wide players, so if we can do business with Leicester over Tarks, which then allows us to bolster our squad, or dare I suggest it even our starting XI, we'd be daft not to entertain them, as long as it was a decent offer.
It’s a very interesting prospect, I’m sure it would help us push a couple of deals through.

However I would be slightly concerned with Collins starting every game.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1675 times
Has Liked: 753 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:44 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 pm
It’s a very interesting prospect, I’m sure it would help us push a couple of deals through.

Agreed about Collins- has hardly settled in. On the few times I have seen him in friendlies he looked out of position several timesi

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:47 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Yes that is a worry I agree, if we were looking for an experienced CH at this level Gary Cahill is still available on a free, wages might be an issue though, however he's being heavily linked to Rangers, and I can't imagine their salaries will be higher than ours.

It wouldn't be my ideal scenario in this window for JT to leave, but it's clear we need to do something to kickstart our transfer activity, so if selling Tarks provides the answer then so be it.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1248 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:47 pm

Collins will be a great signing, no worries about that
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Spijed
Been Liked: 2891 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Collins? We've got the ever dependable Kevin Long! ;)
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:02 pm

Fofana has broken his leg, nasty injury. Wish him a speedy recovery.
Could this be James Tarkowski on his way?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3128 times
Has Liked: 6666 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:02 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:57 pm
Collins? We've got the ever dependable Kevin Long! ;)
Fortunately we also have the enormous Bobby Thomas :D

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3128 times
Has Liked: 6666 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:04 pm

Just seen the Fofana incident, that's aweful for the lad.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 3155 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:45 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:24 pm
I think we were planning on the assumption that the interest shown in Tarks last season would repeat itself and some club would happily cough up 30-40m for him, bank rolling this transfer window.

The net result was that the club probably lost 20-30m by not getting a quality replacement in early last season so that we could consider selling Tarks when the offers came in.

What makes our transfer movements last season even more daft is that we had money in the bank, we had freed up a lot of space in our wage bill and we knew that Gibson would play no further part in our thinking. Whether Tarks stayed or went didn't change the fact that we should have been actively searching for a new centre back as early as possible. Why we didn't do that is beyond all good reason.
Hi LTL, just picking out a few points from your post (which I've cut down, rather than cramp up the mb with the full text):

1) Aren't you contradicting yourself with these two statements
(a) "The other clubs will have seen our accounts and they must know we are cash poor."
and (b) "last season ... we had money in the bank,"

As you know, the last set of accounts the club published were for the 13 month period to 31st July 2020. These accounts showed that the club had £80+ cash, which, of course, included the first instalment of the tv money for 2020/21 season. The only other information that is in the public domain is the acquisition of 84% of shares in the club by ALK and Alan Pace and other new directors replacing previous directors. Alongside this there is information of ALK raising £60 million debt from MSD - and the debt obligations being secured (probably not exclusively) by charges on club assets.
The rest of the financial arrangements around the takeover at this stage are media speculation. It is not confirmed fact that the club (and the new owners) are "cash poor."

2) Re the possible sale of Tarkowski - aren't you missing the add-ons that are due to Brentford in the event that Tarks is sold for more than the club paid for him? This has been reported at as much as 27% of the differences between the selling and buying fees.

The other thing with Tarks is that Sean Dyche wanted to keep him last season and very probably remains keen to keep him this season. Brentford's share of any transfer is probably one big reason that tips this towards retaining Tarks than selling this window. Add that Tarks has been integral to the club remaining in the Premier League. I'd also argue that Sean Dyche would favour Tarks signing a new contract and staying longer at Burnley - in the same way that this was achieved with Ben Mee. As long as Tarks remains at Burnley there remains the chance of a new contract.

Yes, there's more work for the club to do in this transfer window. From everything we hear reported/rumoured in the media the club is very active in trying to add to the squad. Of course, we also know that Sean Dyche and the club like to keep the club's business out of the media, especially as regards transfers in (and out). We will have to wait and see where we are in the next few weeks.

UTC

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:59 pm

Grealish deal done

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1017 times
Has Liked: 3150 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:00 pm

:roll:
Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:50 pm
.....I'll leave it to Chester Perry...He seems like a patient chap.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:05 pm

Think ALK are the opposite of Venkys - there interested and have ideas especially off the pitch but don't have a bottomless pit of money to keep pumping in !!!! :D :D

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3433 times
Has Liked: 6338 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:36 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:59 pm
Grealish deal done
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/stat ... 04737?s=19

Apparently so, £100 million.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1173 times
Has Liked: 774 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:48 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:05 pm
Think ALK are the opposite of Venkys - there interested and have ideas especially off the pitch but don't have a bottomless pit of money to keep pumping in !!!! :D :D
I think it’s far too early to be drawing any comparisons, ALK haven’t been around for long enough but assuming you are right, which 1 would you prefer?

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:08 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:45 pm
Hi LTL, just picking out a few points from your post (which I've cut down, rather than cramp up the mb with the full text):
Nope, we had cash available to spend during the last transfer window that amounted to 41,647m in hand from the previous season. This was bolstered with the first instalment of the TV money for the 20/21 season as you say. However, I suspect the TV money was accrued in anticipation of what Mike Garlick thought would be heavier Covid losses.

So we had money available to spend during the window, but do we still have that money now ?

You are correct, the notion that any money was taken out of the club hasn't been fully substantiated and it won't be until the next set of accounts. Neither do we know how much ALK still have to pay to the previous shareholders. However, we do know that some money is definitely owed to them and it has to be paid in three scheduled repayments or the ownership of the club will revert to Garlick and Co.

Alan Pace confirmed that himself.

We also know that a loan was taken out, to the tune of £60m and if the terms of that loan are similar to other loans by MSD it will carry an annual 10% interest payment.

As you correctly state, the cost of buying 84% of the shares in the club, which gave ALK a controlling interest, has only been speculated upon. The figure that has been suggested is $270m, which would equate to roughly £200m given the 1.34 exchange rate at the time.

https://www.ft.com/content/d11fbc2a-f6e ... a8acced646

Personally, I think that £200m sounds a little bit steep and it could represent the total value of the club, with ALK paying 84% of that or roughly £170m. My guess is that they paid £10m of their own money, used £40m of the clubs money, £60m from MSD and three payments of £20m are still owing to the previous shareholders. But as you say, that is just a wild guess.

You might be correct, they could have paid almost everything upfront from out of their own pockets, minus the money borrowed from MSD, leaving only three very small payments to be made to the previous shareholders. That would be fantastic.

However, that is not how any of the previous deals involving Checketts have gone through. All of his previous deals have involved substantial borrowing. It would also be puzzling to involve a clause that would see the club revert to the previous shareholders if the amount that is still owed to them was trivial.

That aspect of the deal always makes me ponder when I see people alluding to the departure of Garlick and Co. Thinking about it, should everything go tits up and should ALK fail to make their required payments Garlick could be our Chairman once again.

Finally, if we did have a big stash of cash in our transfer kitty then our two main transfer targets for the vacant winger positions probably wouldn't have been a free transfer and a back up player with a year left on his contract. It isn't wholly unreasonable to suspect we would have aimed a bit higher if we were flush with cash.

So, nobody knows the exact details of our financial position until the next set of accounts comes out, which will probably be a little bit better than people suspect. Mainly because we only spent £1m on Stephens, after moving on three players and shipping Gibson out in return for a loan fee. Dropping four first team wages could equate to a very sizeable reduction in our overall wage bill ( at another guess, maybe 6-8m ). Enough to cover our new interest payment.

Whatever the exact figures turn out to be, reading our next set of accounts will certainly make for interesting times. I'm betting that we aren't as cash rich as you seem to believe and I suspect that others feel the same way.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 724 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:32 am

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm
Someone mentioned we got a split of money because Norwich and Watford bounced back also we sold Gibson and Benson for £8m-9m. We haven’t really spent anything yet
I'm not sure it really is that simple. The budget given for transfers is usually not 100% of the clubs earnings. When you break even and have no debt perhaps the board would agree you can spend what you earn but I think the club have to be careful about the debt that's been taken on.

You also have to factor in deals are usually in installments, so what we reportedly earn (and I say reportedly because most fees are) are gained over time rather than in one big lump sum.

And that's without factoring in the rising cost of wages etc

So whilst I hope that things are that simple and we do have money to spend, I can also see us not... And for that reason alone wouldn't be surprised to see Lennon sign.

But as I said above, it's just a counter argument. I want us to sign better players but I'm trying to be realistic.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:54 am

Matheus Pereira complete's his move to Al Hilal in Saudi Arabia, what a waste of a talent. All about the money

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1173 times
Has Liked: 774 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:15 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:54 am
Matheus Pereira complete's his move to Al Hilal in Saudi Arabia, what a waste of a talent. All about the money
Agree aren’t most transfers though for a player it’s mainly maximise your earnings whilst you are at your best & in demand it’s a short lived career. I think some of the league standards will improve overseas if they continue to throw the money about & attract the players & it’s 1 thing the Saudis aren’t short of.

Richardsbfc
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by Richardsbfc » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:17 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fair play. A footballer only has a maximum of 10/12 years of earning, go and earn as much money as possible. Dedicated his life to the game, reap the rewards.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2891 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 am

Richardsbfc wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:17 am
Fair play. A footballer only has a maximum of 10/12 years of earning, go and earn as much money as possible. Dedicated his life to the game, reap the rewards.
On average a footballer earns more in one year than the majority of people do in a lifetime of work.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

taio
Been Liked: 3192 times
Has Liked: 338 times

Post by taio » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:03 am

If I was in Pereira's position at his age I'd been looking at one of the top leagues in Europe to play against the best and to improve while still earning staggering sums of money.

But people have different thoughts on life and priorities so if he thinks his best move right now is to play in Saudi Arabia that's his business and choice.

BFC123
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BFC123 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 am
On average a footballer earns more in one year than the majority of people do in a lifetime of work.
That’s not true at all. Maybe the top 2 or 3% of footballers do, but there are thousands of players in the lower leagues in England and around the world who don’t earn anything close to that.

Pereira has reportedly been offered around £150k/week to move there. Nobody would turn that down when it sets you and your family up for life.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:11 am

Richardsbfc wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:17 am
He would have got a min 50k a week at a Prem club which equates to £2.5m per year. 4 year contract almost guarantees £10m before tax (not including all the bonus’ that come with it). If that’s not ‘reaping rewards’ I’m not sure what is! Worked all his life to be a footballer to go and play in Saudi and do nothing.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2551 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 am
Your average footballer aspires for more than a 2 up 2 down in the posh part of Burnley and a fortnight in torremelinos in Wakes week…
These 2 users liked this post: box_of_frogs beddie

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4130 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:00 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
That's very surprising. He was crying in the press recently about how he wanted to move after being offered a chance to become instantly financially secure for life, when I read this I thought it was a bit extreme as the only team I had heard sniffing around him were West Ham.

What a poor and lazy choice.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1729 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:08 am

At the end of your playing career though, what have got to show for it? You played with and against a load of players no one has heard of against teams no one can pronounce in front of a few thousand at some local sports centre.

It’s like signing for a team in Scotland

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6858 times
Has Liked: 1470 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 am

No idea how accurate the figures are. But I find it hard to believe that anyone on here would take a job paying £50k per week ahead of one that pays £150k per week. Why are footballers judged differently than other professions?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 am
No idea how accurate the figures are. But I find it hard to believe that anyone on here would take a job paying £50k per week ahead of one that pays £150k per week. Why are footballers judged differently than other professions?
Depends what you want from life.

Personally I wouldn't move to another country so far away, which would mean being away from family members and friends as well as not doing the social things in life like I currently do to earn double or treble what I do now.

There is more to life than being away from everything close to you to earn more money, more so when you are already earning a good wedge and could easily improve that in this country.
This user liked this post: minnieclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6858 times
Has Liked: 1470 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:33 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 am
Depends what you want from life.

Personally I wouldn't move to another country so far away, which would mean being away from family members and friends as well as not doing the social things in life like I currently do to earn double or treble what I do now.

There is more to life than being away from everything close to you to earn more money, more so when you are already earning a good wedge and could easily improve that in this country.
But Pereira is Brazilian.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:45 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:33 am
But Pereira is Brazilian.
Let's hope he hasn't gone there to be nearer to his home

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 286 times

Post by TsarBomba » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:09 am

Where’s the shame in going to Saudi Arabia to earn more money? Let’s not pretend anyone on here would do any different.

He’s probably sending most of it back home to support his family.

Good luck to him.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2314 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:16 am

Lets not forget, a lot of these Brazilians grow up in places that make Duke Bar look like Monte Carlo. It the early life experience that influences future decisions in some people. My great Grandad for example was born in 1920, and didn't know where the next meal was coming from as a kid and he told me some horrific stories. Even up until his death he insisted on buying 2nd class stamps instead of 1st to save money. The point i'm making is no matter how much you earn, the thought of earning more increases the chances of never having to worry about what you worried about in the first place again, no matter how unrealistic it is.