ARTICLE: Coote back with the Clarets at Craven Cottage

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32058 times
Has Liked: 5241 times

ARTICLE: Coote back with the Clarets at Craven Cottage

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 10, 2021 4:15 pm

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1017 times
Has Liked: 3150 times

Re: ARTICLE: Coote back with the Clarets at Craven Cottage

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon May 10, 2021 4:37 pm

Horror show!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 10, 2021 10:34 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:37 pm
Horror show!
And it was, I thought that was as bad a performance as I've seen from a referee this season.
These 3 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 simonclaret Rumpelstiltskin

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:34 pm
And it was, I thought that was as bad a performance as I've seen from a referee this season.
A homer if I ever saw one. Didn’t even fancy giving us a throw in

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:38 pm

Worst performance I’ve seen from a ref all season and he’s had plenty of competition

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 pm

Shocking, indecisive and afraid to make decisions, missed more than he saw.
Not up to PL standard and wouldn’t wish him on Rochdale or Accrington either.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 pm

I’m not sure why there’s all the ill feeling towards tonight’s ref? He did little wrong for me. All the **** poor decisions came from VAR or the assistant.
This user liked this post: Claret

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2611 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:01 pm

bf2k wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 pm
I’m not sure why there’s all the ill feeling towards tonight’s ref? He did little wrong for me. All the **** poor decisions came from VAR or the assistant.
It was the small decisions that he didn't give that annoyed me. Vydra was fouled three times and got nothing, one of them being the handball incident! Barnes was fouled and got nothing, he played advantage to us three times when there was no advantage at all.
I normally stick up for officials but I honestly was quite amazed at his performance tonight.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

MDWat
Been Liked: 870 times
Has Liked: 268 times

Post by MDWat » Mon May 10, 2021 11:08 pm

Second worst performance this season after Jones at Leeds.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon May 10, 2021 11:15 pm

He started off really well, I thought, and was ignoring all the minimal-contact-entitled-to-go-down nonsense but then spoiled it with a couple of errors. As bf2k says, it was VAR that cocked up the handball by their keeper. If there was no VAR then we could have accepted the decision but to have had the benefit of seeing it from god knows how many camera angles and decide it was ok is farcical.
Certainly not the worst ref I’ve seen

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 10, 2021 11:17 pm

bf2k wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 pm
Are you serious bf2k? He got one hell of a lot wrong.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Claret wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:15 pm
He started off really well, I thought, and was ignoring all the minimal-contact-entitled-to-go-down nonsense but then spoiled it with a couple of errors. As bf2k says, it was VAR that cocked up the handball by their keeper. If there was no VAR then we could have accepted the decision but to have had the benefit of seeing it from god knows how many camera angles and decide it was ok is farcical.
Certainly not the worst ref I’ve seen
VAR can't do anything about that handball once Coote has made his decision, that's what the commentary team were telling us.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:01 pm
It was the small decisions that he didn't give that annoyed me. Vydra was fouled three times and got nothing, one of them being the handball incident! Barnes was fouled and got nothing, he played advantage to us three times when there was no advantage at all.
I normally stick up for officials but I honestly was quite amazed at his performance tonight.
There were two supposed advantages he played in the second half after fouls on the two full backs. Lowton even required treatment. I know you will often defend referees but I didn't think it was possible to defend this guy tonight.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon May 10, 2021 11:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 pm
VAR can't do anything about that handball once Coote has made his decision, that's what the commentary team were telling us.
That can’t be right surely?

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon May 10, 2021 11:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 pm
Well then, the commentary team are wrong (and thank goodness everyone can ignore commentators when they want to). I think they are saying it wasn’t stopping a goal scoring opportunity so it would never have been a red even if the ref had spotted it, but I disagree and I think he deliberately hand balled it and prevented Vydra from bearing down on goal with ball.
This user liked this post: bob-the-scutter

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 pm

Claret wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:25 pm
Well then, the commentary team are wrong (and thank goodness everyone can ignore commentators when they want to). I think they are saying it wasn’t stopping a goal scoring opportunity so it would never have been a red even if the ref had spotted it, but I disagree and I think he deliberately hand balled it and prevented Vydra from bearing down on goal with ball.
I think it was preventing a goalscoring opportunity but from what the commentary team were saying didn't they suggest that Coote had told VAR that there was a covering defender?

But regardless of that one incident, he got so much wrong tonight.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10903 times
Has Liked: 5582 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon May 10, 2021 11:29 pm

Calamity Coote

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon May 10, 2021 11:34 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 pm
I think it was preventing a goalscoring opportunity but from what the commentary team were saying didn't they suggest that Coote had told VAR that there was a covering defender?

But regardless of that one incident, he got so much wrong tonight.
But isn’t that what VAR is there for, to tell him he’s made an error (I.e. the defender in question was on his arse)?
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

bf2k

Post by bf2k » Mon May 10, 2021 11:35 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:01 pm
I didn’t see too much wrong and thought the decisions against us could have gone either way. The handball he was unsighted and his assistant and VAR should have helped.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 994 times
Has Liked: 2000 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:39 pm

The amount of times their number 5 fouled a Burnley player by jumping over them and got away with it was laughable. It was as though he only gave things when he absolutely had too. I thought his positioning was poor throughout too

It really was a horrible display from Coote

bf2k

Post by bf2k » Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:17 pm
Are you serious bf2k? He got one hell of a lot wrong.
I saw it differently. I thought he tried to keep the game going. I thought he got the booking of their centre mid wrong in the first half (was it on Westwood???). It was late but not malicious. I must have seen it different. I can’t stand ref’s who take centre stage and blow for every little thing.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 pm

martin_p wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:34 pm
But isn’t that what VAR is there for, to tell him he’s made an error (I.e. the defender in question was on his arse)?
I've reached the point where I don't know what VAR is there for but when it doesn't overturn an incorrect decision we are always told it's because it's not clear and obvious.

But tonight I was more concerned at the fouls he missed. Fulham have one of the worst disciplinary records in terms of yellows in the division and they should have been picking up a few more tonight. He was missing clear fouls and clear cards all night. We all know that Jones got big, big decisions wrong at Leeds but I thought Coote tonight was overall worse than him.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Just checked my recording of the game and the commentators say that Stockley Park felt there was a covering defender and therefore couldn’t get involved because it’s not a red card decision. It’s an incredible statement on two levels, how is deciding that there’s a covering defender ‘not getting involved’ and how on earth did they come to that decision in the first place given the defender fell over? Making it up as they go along at its finest!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10903 times
Has Liked: 5582 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon May 10, 2021 11:52 pm

if someone said the ref didn't turn up so they got some random bloke who just happened to be sailing by to do it then I wouldn't have noticed the difference in performance levels.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6858 times
Has Liked: 1470 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon May 10, 2021 11:56 pm

The advantage he played after Lowton got taken out would have been hilarious if I was a neutral. For balance, Tarkowski got away without a booking for the most cynical of fouls on Reid (I think). Fairly incident free first half but a shocking second half.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1248 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 am

martin_p wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 pm
Just checked my recording of the game and the commentators say that Stockley Park felt there was a covering defender and therefore couldn’t get involved because it’s not a red card decision. It’s an incredible statement on two levels, how is deciding that there’s a covering defender ‘not getting involved’ and how on earth did they come to that decision in the first place given the defender fell over? Making it up as they go along at its finest!
Explaining that because there is a covering defender ( which everyone knows there wasn’t ) the offence could only be a yellow card and not covered by VAR , excuses them from getting involved. That’s all it is , an excuse covering up more sinister goings on between the refs on the pitch and the refs officiating VAR. Who are in effect the same group of refs watching each other’s backs as we know .
In the Fulham match we have just watched, the pitch ref can be excused for missing the handball because of his view from the distance he was away from the incident.
The VAR official cannot be excused from his very poor decision that there was a covering defender in a position to deal with Vydra had Vydra been allowed to break away. This will be remembered by the pitch ref for the next time their roles are reversed . I’m not saying all refs are in on this but with the high number of outrageous VAR decisions I think many are.
It has been mentioned by other observers that the assistant referee must have seen it but didn’t help the pitch referee. If that is true then what exactly is their role? Are they that subservient in the pitch referee/ assistant referee relationship .
Some use the word corruption , I think there should be an independent inquiry at least or some other strong body that can change the present system. VAR must stay in my opinion and this current set of VAR officials relieved from their role.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 724 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 am

It's kind of funny how people are so quick to blame VAR when a decision goes wrong. I mean, it's still just another official but one behind a screen who can still make the second call wrong. In this instance though as rightly mentioned already the decision wasn't overruled because it was not a red card offence.

The problem today was Coote and no backbone from his assistants either. The issue with VAR was just more incompetence by the VAR ref.

The decisions are made still by refs who don't like to overhaul their mates. It's clear as day. It needs to be sorted out before VAR is scrapped completely and we're stuck with 1 incompetent ref without any hope of any intervention at all again.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue May 11, 2021 7:40 am

Local cricketer wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 pm
A homer if I ever saw one. Didn’t even fancy giving us a throw in
Fortunately not too much of a homer, or he'd have given a penalty for taylors challenge, and could have booked tarks late on.
Personally I didn't think he did too bad, replays showed he didn't have a good view of the goalkeepers handball, and the non decision on that was made by the VAR official.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 11, 2021 7:47 am

I think the refs have made a decision to allow a lot of the 50/50s to play on. The incident with Vydra is one of these situations, if there is any appearance of backing in they are letting it go. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but over time consistency will be needed.
I’ve argued for some time that the refs association should release a video, open to the public, on what is and is not acceptable for the new season. If we are all on one page it negates the “we was robbed” and if you are robbed hopefully the ref can learn from his error.
The decision that has wound me up most this season is the sliding, stud leading tackle. There has been no consistency at all. It should be red every time contact is made with the opponent.

beddie
Been Liked: 1377 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by beddie » Tue May 11, 2021 7:58 am

I too thought var was there to help the referees but after tonight I'm lost with it. The reason given by Banks in the var room about their defender becoming the last man and their keeper not only fouling Vydra but hand balling it has to be the biggest joke of the night. As someone mentioned it's not about var more about that persons opinion. I agree though that they should have had a penalty via Charlie so maybe things evened out. I'm not sure if an assessor will sit down with both coote and banks to discuss their performances but then again I fear it's a bit of a boys club.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 am

What a Coote

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4130 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 am

There was a moment early in the first half where it was a throw in to us, linesman stood gawping at the ref, ref stood in the middle of the pitch looking at the linesman with neither giving a decision then after a pause both agreeing with each other slowly to give it the wrong way.

Oh and the non booking of Tarks was a joke

Burnley to win, Wood to Score, Anguissa to be booked and Tarks to be booked @50/1... he let me down for £255

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 am
There was a moment early in the first half where it was a throw in to us, linesman stood gawping at the ref, ref stood in the middle of the pitch looking at the linesman with neither giving a decision then after a pause both agreeing with each other slowly to give it the wrong way.

Oh and the non booking of Tarks was a joke

Burnley to win, Wood to Score, Anguissa to be booked and Tarks to be booked @50/1... he let me down for £255
They are 2 incidents that stood out for me. It was a clear throw to Burnley and a clear yellow card for Tarks. One of the worst performances i can remember this season.