Sean Dyche

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Yorkshirelad
Been Liked: 35 times

Re: Sean Dyche

Post by Yorkshirelad » Tue May 11, 2021 7:06 am

As Tina Turner would say
'Simply the best'

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 471 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 am

Some of the criticism he has had on here is bewildering

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3167 times
Has Liked: 1843 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue May 11, 2021 8:02 am

Fantastic achievement this year

Just think of the position we could be in if we hadn’t “lost” those 19 points at the start, or the 6 from the Southampton & Newcastle games.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 671 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 am

KRBFC wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:27 pm
I'm glad this horrible season is pretty much done for us now.
I have to agree with this. It's been good to have football on as a distraction and something to look forward to watching but it hasn't been enjoyable at all. Really don't understand people who don't go to the match and just enjoy watching games on the tv.

Football is nothing without the fans and the sooner we are ALL back on the better!
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 am

I disagree that this season is a massive achievement. We have the same squad as last year except Norris, Brownhill and Stephens have replaced Hart, Hendrick and Lennon. This is a squad who have done it season upon season and to suggest that this a massive achievement is really disrespectful to the squad. What you're suggesting is that they're not good enough for this division and I think Sean Dyche would disagree.

If Sean Dyche is still at the club next season it will be his biggest challenge. He's bloated the wage bill to a point where there's no budget left for signings and he's never wanted to sell his best players to be able to recruit but this summer he's going to have to. With the return of Watford and Norwich we're going to have to up our game if we're going to be competitive, they won't be as weak as West Brom and Fulham and we don't want to be the next Sheffield United.
This user liked this post: KateR

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6335 times
Has Liked: 8645 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue May 11, 2021 8:27 am

Well done the thin squad and Mr D plus staff.
Phew!

Stayingup
Been Liked: 913 times
Has Liked: 2724 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue May 11, 2021 8:52 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:12 pm
I would echo those sentiments a superb achievement this season given all of the shenanigans behind the scenes.

I really think that Burnley Football Club and Sean Dyche are the perfect fit. The fact that Burnley can only finance a small squad seems to suit Sean Dyche perfectly, he likes to work with players that he knows well and trusts leaving him able to use the same core of 14/15 players. Probably one of the reasons why loan signings have not really worked out well and why several senior players have been offered contract extensions instead of being moved on. Substitutions are often left until very late into the second half of matches.

How would he adapt to having a squad of 20 plus international players all vying for a first team place and expecting significant game time who knows?
How would he manage with a bigger squad? Like Pep does I imagine. He is very intelligent and I think is prepared to learn as he goes along.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2365 times
Has Liked: 3770 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 am

Having Dale Stephens back on the bench last night gave everyone a lift and got us over the line :D
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 am

dibraidio wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 am
I disagree that this season is a massive achievement. We have the same squad as last year except Norris, Brownhill and Stephens have replaced Hart, Hendrick and Lennon. This is a squad who have done it season upon season and to suggest that this a massive achievement is really disrespectful to the squad. What you're suggesting is that they're not good enough for this division and I think Sean Dyche would disagree.

If Sean Dyche is still at the club next season it will be his biggest challenge. He's bloated the wage bill to a point where there's no budget left for signings and he's never wanted to sell his best players to be able to recruit but this summer he's going to have to. With the return of Watford and Norwich we're going to have to up our game if we're going to be competitive, they won't be as weak as West Brom and Fulham and we don't want to be the next Sheffield United.
I and maybe others put this seasons achievment in the context of how Burnley have strengthened - they haven't - compared to how most if not all other teams in this league have strengthened their squads.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 966 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue May 11, 2021 8:59 am

Stayingup wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:52 am
How would he manage with a bigger squad? Like Pep does I imagine. He is very intelligent and I think is prepared to learn as he goes along.
Clubs managed by owners putting huge investment into football clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea don't appoint managers "to learn as they go along" as Frank Lampard discovered at Chelsea this season.

Frank Lampard was removed as Chelsea manager and the club are now in an FA Cup and Champions League Final.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue May 11, 2021 9:07 am

Like it has been said he just fits the club and the fans and the town perfect , this is a win for everyone long may it continue .
What i do like about him the one game at a time thing not looking too far forward and the don't get too high or too low with wins and losses .
On a side note would love to see him as the Ireland manager as he would turn around the group players we have at the moment .

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:48 pm

If he ever writes a book...you won't believe the stories...
I'm looking forward to that one Sean.

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Tue May 11, 2021 7:55 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:48 pm
If he ever writes a book...you won't believe the stories...
I'm looking forward to that one Sean.
I wouldn't want him to write it for a good few years yet, though! ;)

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:59 am
Clubs managed by owners putting huge investment into football clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea don't appoint managers "to learn as they go along" as Frank Lampard discovered at Chelsea this season.

Frank Lampard was removed as Chelsea manager and the club are now in an FA Cup and Champions League Final.
Dear me. You think.people dont learn as they go along? Really? Sean Dyche had little management experience when he came here but learnt and is still learning. Do you imagine Pep knew it all when he stsrted out in management? In the context of yiur comment Seans next best move should be abroad. Oh and Sean is probably a good bit clever than Frank

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3128 times
Has Liked: 6666 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 pm
Dear me. You think.people dont learn as they go along? Really? Sean Dyche had little management experience when he came here but learnt and is still learning. Do you imagine Pep knew it all when he stsrted out in management? In the context of yiur comment Seans next best move should be abroad. Oh and Sean is probably a good bit clever than Frank
Actually, I think the top clubs look for a rather better CV when choosing a manager than BFC did when appointing Sean Dyche.
I think both the club and SD have benefited from this learning curve, TBH.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Tue May 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:07 am
Like it has been said he just fits the club and the fans and the town perfect , this is a win for everyone long may it continue .
What i do like about him the one game at a time thing not looking too far forward and the don't get too high or too low with wins and losses .
On a side note would love to see him as the Ireland manager as he would turn around the group players we have at the moment .

Jesus Tribesman, even our Seans not that fecking good :lol: :lol: :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill GodIsADeeJay81

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:16 am
Controversial perhaps, but best ever Burnley manager!?
It's difficult if not impossible to compare different eras, but pound for pound he'd have to be in the running for sure.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1980 times
Has Liked: 3293 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 pm

I've never, ever wanted him sacked, even though we've had sticky patches over the years and at times some absolutely doggy pooy patches, like at the start of this season. After 7 games I was convinced we'd go down and said so, but I still wanted SD in charge as he would always be our best hope of bouncing back. I will say this though, I think at times he has been incredibly lucky. Like a couple of years ago when he was basically forced into playing McNeil and suddenly found a talent who turned our season round and this season he was literally forced into picking Vydra due to injuries and imo that's been a huge factor in us getting over the line.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Tue May 11, 2021 10:01 pm

Stayingup wrote:
I feel fairly confident that if Sean does go abroad he will probably be seen wearing a floppy hat, sunscreen, and eating an ice cream and not be gone longer than a couple of weeks. 8-)

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 pm

Having worked for a US investment company and looking at the new board members and what they stand for I am confident what is required will happen not from altruism but pride in making money which even God fearing Americans believe is their duty. They will do whatever it takes to raise the value of their investment by a date I suspect is already chosen 5 or more years in the future. The famous exit strategy. Cash will be found one way or another. Most successful businesses come to the time in their life cycle when they have to invest to move forward The difference for them is that they have to keep , listen to and incentivise SD rather than just hiring a new CEO which I think will be a new experience. I am so looking forward to watching this go forward.
This user liked this post: mill hill claret

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1248 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue May 11, 2021 11:32 pm

Incredibly lucky Dark Cloud or a magician ?
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed May 12, 2021 9:36 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:32 pm
Incredibly lucky Dark Cloud or a magician ?
I think he's been both at different times, Elizabeth and long may it continue! :D

Spijed
Been Liked: 2891 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Spijed » Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:36 am
I think he's been both at different times, Elizabeth and long may it continue! :D
Anyway, since we are now safe are you going to change your name to Light Cloud? ;)

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1675 times
Has Liked: 753 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 am

Milltown1882 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:04 pm
900 grand spent. Defensive injuries to start the season. Bottom on one point after six games.

Genuinely don’t know how he does it every year but hats off to him. Unbelievable effort.
Fully agree. I know the great majority of our fans now quite rightly worship him.I am pleased to say though that he is getting the recognition, he and his coaches deserve.Whenever I meet someone new and we talk about football and my team Burnley, I can nearly always guarantee the praise he now gets, which is lovely to hear. Long may he continue to be our manager, and hopefully the new owners value him as much as we do

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed May 12, 2021 9:53 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 am
Anyway, since we are now safe are you going to change your name to Light Cloud? ;)
No, because there's always next season!!! :)
This user liked this post: Spijed

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed May 12, 2021 10:18 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:53 am
No, because there's always next season!!! :)
A true Burnley fan!

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1675 times
Has Liked: 753 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 am

Stayingup wrote:
Don't underestimate how much SD learned from his mentor Brian Clough-the man who produced miracles at both Forest & Derby, and the man who could transform 3rd and 4th Division League players into winners of the then Champions League (European Cup). There are many similarities between BC and SD. in what is a dying type of breed of man managers. I have said it before, but get Pep, Kloppp or the new Chelsea manager to manage us with a net spend of around £10m a year , with the current squad, then see if they too can guarantee us 6 years of PL football

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4130 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:38 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 pm
When they interviewed Wood. ‘What does he do?’

He just shouts at us!

You can see the relationship he has with the players that Wood's initial reply was that rather than the modern day cliches most players are told to use in every media interview.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 am

warksclaret wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 am
Don't underestimate how much SD learned from his mentor Brian Clough-the man who produced miracles at both Forest & Derby, and the man who could transform 3rd and 4th Division League players into winners of the then Champions League (European Cup). There are many similarities between BC and SD. in what is a dying type of breed of man managers. I have said it before, but get Pep, Kloppp or the new Chelsea manager to manage us with a net spend of around £10m a year , with the current squad, then see if they too can guarantee us 6 years of PL football

That is a scenario that is never going to happen.

Conversely, let Sean Dyche manage Chelsea with their current squad, then see if he has the tactical nous and awareness and ability to handle a large group of international footballers, and see if he can reach an FA Cup and Champions League Final in his first season in charge.

Pep Guardiola or Tuchel stepping down to manage Burnley is just as unlikely a scenario as Sean Dyche stepping up to manage Manchester City or Chelsea or even Liverpool.