Some computer help needed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32058 times
Has Liked: 5241 times

Some computer help needed

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm

I currently have a desktop pc which at some point will need to be replaced, now 11 years old.

I’m also considering getting a laptop but the question is will I be able to access docs/pics from the desktop on a laptop and if so how?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4127 times
Has Liked: 3594 times

Re: Some computer help needed

Post by DCWat » Tue May 11, 2021 5:23 pm

If you store your docs in the cloud, you’ll be able to access them from any device - PC, Laptop, Mobile.

Google docs, iCloud etc etc

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3167 times
Has Liked: 1843 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue May 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Another alternative is to get an external hard drive download all the files/docs from the PC to it

You can then plug it into your laptop and access them.
You can leave them on that without loading onto the laptop

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3433 times
Has Liked: 6338 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:31 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:23 pm
If you store your docs in the cloud, you’ll be able to access them from any device - PC, Laptop, Mobile.

Read that and it reminded me of a scene from Creed where Adonis took a picture of something Rocky wrote down and told Rocky its now stored in the Cloud...

Rocky proceeded to look at the sky/clouds wondering what that meant.
I've got an image of Tony doing the same :lol/
These 3 users liked this post: DCWat Zlatan Leisure

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 11, 2021 5:37 pm

All the above are correct if you just need the occasional shot a USB will do for transfer in/out.

aggi
Been Liked: 2104 times

Post by aggi » Tue May 11, 2021 5:37 pm

I guess the main question is why you're planning on having a laptop and a desktop, particularly if the desktop is old?

Why not just have the laptop (connected to monitor, keyboard, etc if you desire)? Copy the files across once and that's it.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:47 pm

If you buy a network drive, you can plug it into your router and transfer all your data onto it and access it from both your pc and laptop, and from the internet should you so wish.

It might take a bit of computer savvy to set up, but well worth the effort.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Tue May 11, 2021 5:49 pm

You can use a data transfer cable like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TCQ5YYX/ ... 17R557J8VK

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:37 pm
I guess the main question is why you're planning on having a laptop and a desktop, particularly if the desktop is old?

Why not just have the laptop (connected to monitor, keyboard, etc if you desire)? Copy the files across once and that's it.
That's a good question aggi - I like the desktop and generally it's fine because I am at my desk much of the time I'm wanting to use a computer. I just think also having a laptop gives me the option of being able more flexible but if I do I'll want access to everything that's on the desktop hard drive if possible, not just a matter of copying filed across from old to new.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue May 11, 2021 10:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 pm
That's a good question aggi - I like the desktop and generally it's fine because I am at my desk much of the time I'm wanting to use a computer. I just think also having a laptop gives me the option of being able more flexible but if I do I'll want access to everything that's on the desktop hard drive if possible, not just a matter of copying filed across from old to new.
I'm assuming you're not gaming, doing heavy image or video processing, 3d work, etc.

As such, in your position I'd replace the desktop with a laptop. Have it connected to the monitor, etc when you want to use it at a desk (most modern laptops will be able to do all this through one cable) and just unplug when you want to use as a laptop.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 11, 2021 11:43 pm

I would be guessing that a modern laptop will have far more internal memory than your 11 year old pc. If you have all the photos you want in one folder check how much memory they are taking up, right click>properties. I notice your comment about not wanting to copy everything across and understand if you want to keep the laptop unclogged but this might be your best solution. Especially if you will be travelling with the laptop.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10903 times
Has Liked: 5582 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 12, 2021 12:38 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm
I currently have a desktop pc which at some point will need to be replaced, now 11 years old.

I’m also considering getting a laptop but the question is will I be able to access docs/pics from the desktop on a laptop and if so how?
what do you use your laptop for ?

Depending on your needs I would suggest looking at a Chromebook - way more reliable than a laptop in my experience, far more difficult to get viruses etc too

All my files are on a cloud, I can access them on a windows 10 pc, an android chromebook and tablet etc with no issues at all. You get 15gb free with a gmail account
Last edited by Vegas Claret on Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

GordonvaleClaret
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by GordonvaleClaret » Wed May 12, 2021 1:40 am

Get a USB docking bay.
Physically remove the HDD from the PC. (You can do this if the PC had died on you.)
Connect the HDD to the docking bay.
Connect the docking bay to the laptop.
HDD appears as a new drive on the laptop.

Docking bays for a single HDD start out cheapish, to accommodate multiple HDDs the price goes up.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1399 times
Has Liked: 2684 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed May 12, 2021 2:36 am

CT
Get removable hard drive.
Back Up Files!!!!!!!!!! to it. (do this anyway!!!!!!!!!!! whichever way you go forward)

Get Laptop / or another desk top. ?

Laptop plus a portable hard drive plus a 2nd monitor (use exhisting?) - (all so easy to set up - easy on the eyes reading wise with another screen).

So many ways to sort your issue.

Cheap laptop + external hard drive + original monitor may ne a simple route.

ATB
G

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 724 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed May 12, 2021 3:01 am

New computer aside you definitely want to have your data backed up. Safe way to do it is have one copy on cloud storage like drive.google.com and another copy of everything on an external HDD or Pen Drive.

Two copies in addition to what you use is the safest method. If you lose access to one you have a second copy. Keeping only a single backup, or even worse keeping your files only on your computer can mean you can lose everything with a fault, flood, fire or burglary.

But another vote here for a Chromebook. Cheap ones are available and they run a lot faster on Windows so you don't have to spend as much money. They do everything you need from a computer and really the only reason not to get one is if you rely on specific software only available on windows. If you kept your old PC for 11 years anything you get now will be so much better. Buy one with a HDMI port and connect it up to your existing monitor for desk use.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Hipper
Been Liked: 1170 times
Has Liked: 916 times

Post by Hipper » Wed May 12, 2021 8:53 am

Depending on how much computer power you need, you could just get a mini pc similar to these:

https://quietpc.co.uk/ultranuc

(I'm sure there are cheaper, on Amazon say, but these Quiet PC are reliable and provide a good service)

You can attach your existing monitor (with the right connections?) to it, and then attach an external DVD drive (if you need it), hard drive, keyboard, mouse etc.. If you run out of USB slots get a USB hub.

You would still work at your desk but save a lot of space and energy.

Another idea is to use your TV (assuming a smart TV) as a monitor, either with this or with a lap top - or notebook presumably.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 am

Installing a SSD (solid state hard drive) will seriously speed up your desktop if it's the slowness your concerned about.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 am

Just open a gmail account. You get google drive and google photos with it which you can use for your files and photos. All totally free and you can access them from any device including your phone

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed May 12, 2021 9:55 am

Personally I wouldn't get a Chromebook as my sole computer. They're very good and I use mine a lot but you do come across the occasional thing they can't do (for instance I was setting up a new printer the other day and I couldn't use a Chromebook to do that).

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6335 times
Has Liked: 8645 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 12, 2021 4:50 pm

TheOriginalLongsider wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:49 pm
You can use a data transfer cable like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TCQ5YYX/ ... 17R557J8VK
What if your old computer isn't 3.0 USB?

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 12, 2021 8:24 pm

Bump

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Wed May 12, 2021 9:20 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:50 pm
What if your old computer isn't 3.0 USB?
Does that matter? I’m not being a smartarse. I just thought that was at it’s best but it will still handle all USB standards

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2124 times
Has Liked: 3034 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu May 13, 2021 8:13 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:20 pm
Does that matter? I’m not being a smartarse. I just thought that was at it’s best but it will still handle all USB standards
It would be noticably slower but still work
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL huw.Y.WattfromWare

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu May 13, 2021 9:18 am

CT - you really do need to get cloud storage of some kind arranged. Free offerings are OK, but I do recommend the annual subscription to Office 365 - for £60/year you get all the Office applications to use as well as 1TB of cloud storage. Using the OneDrive client is easy, and you can access your files from any device with the OneDrive client and mobile Office apps (if on a smart phone). This really should be your priority. If you want to use the free stuff thats also OK too, but you're limited in terms of using Office apps etc.

Once that is done, choosing your device becomes easier - by all means keep your old PC (as long as its running a supported OS - if its on Windows 7... that's well out of support now).

Personally I have a desktop PC in the office where I do the main work, and I also keep a full offline copy of my OneDrive (which is synched automatically with the cloud version), and I have a laptop for sitting in front of the TV etc where my OneDrive is accessible via the cloud but not completely offline.

I'm not a big fan of Chromebooks - they do have a use and may be perfect as a second device, but the amount of issues we see at our service desk with people who have personal Chromebooks is quite significant so I wouldn't have one as a primary device.

Happy to advise further if needed, and also happy to demonstrate how I have stuff set up via Zoom or Teams if you want to. You know how to contact me I'm sure.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am

I assume the cable link would transfer files but not programmes. That's the hard bit!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2339 times
Has Liked: 3155 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu May 13, 2021 10:33 am

Zlatan wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:18 am
CT - you really do need to get cloud storage of some kind arranged. Free offerings are OK, but I do recommend the annual subscription to Office 365 - for £60/year you get all the Office applications to use as well as 1TB of cloud storage. Using the OneDrive client is easy, and you can access your files from any device with the OneDrive client and mobile Office apps (if on a smart phone). This really should be your priority. If you want to use the free stuff thats also OK too, but you're limited in terms of using Office apps etc.

Once that is done, choosing your device becomes easier - by all means keep your old PC (as long as its running a supported OS - if its on Windows 7... that's well out of support now).

Personally I have a desktop PC in the office where I do the main work, and I also keep a full offline copy of my OneDrive (which is synched automatically with the cloud version), and I have a laptop for sitting in front of the TV etc where my OneDrive is accessible via the cloud but not completely offline.

I'm not a big fan of Chromebooks - they do have a use and may be perfect as a second device, but the amount of issues we see at our service desk with people who have personal Chromebooks is quite significant so I wouldn't have one as a primary device.

Happy to advise further if needed, and also happy to demonstrate how I have stuff set up via Zoom or Teams if you want to. You know how to contact me I'm sure.
Hi Zlatan, good advice. I'm not a techie, so my comments are from the "user experience." Office 365 and OneDrive is great. I've had my personal subscription for 5 years. I've got 5 users, each with 1TB of cloud storage, £79.99 p.a.

I found it an odd question, pc or laptop? All the places I've worked from mid-90s have provided staff with laptops only, work with them in the office, at home and, of course, while travelling. Yes, as many have posted, docking station and large monitor(s) are best to work with laptop. No need for a separate pc. I think the two issues are (1) safety and security of data and (2) keeping your hardware and operating system up to date - and, those issues are linked. The cloud is brilliant, not only does it take care of all the data backup issues, it also gives accessibility across whatever devices are available to you. With the cloud you can access your data on any device, it doesn't have to be your own laptop/pc/mobile - it can be in a hotel, an airport, a friend's device etc. Of course, just keep your password secure!

Thinking of CT's needs, I imagine there are all the Up The Claret's stuff. All the match reports, all the player ratings, MoM and more. Maybe there's someone who could write a little app that would gather and process player ratings, MoM votes saving, what I imagine can be a lengthy period of collating and processing this data before the results are published. (Not something I could do, as above, I just a user).

UTC

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 17, 2021 11:55 am

You would never think that I'd worked in an IT environment all my working life and in my latter years we did replace the desktops at work with laptops and docking stations.

Anyway, to my current situation and where I'd like to get to.

I currently have an 11 year old desktop which doesn't even use Wifi because it is connected to the router. My only other online access is via my phone and that's another story. Because it's a desktop it obviously means I'm restricted to using it in one room which is why I thought of adding a laptop although obviously would need access to anything I need for UTC.

Your advice has been good, if at times confusing, but it seems most of the suggestions are to get a laptop to eventually replace the desktop and that would enable to use it at my desk (in the way I work now) connecting it to monitor, keyboard etc. (although my old keyboard is now the first one I bought in 1999) or anywhere else.

The suggestions for storage/back up have been to use cloud (I currently use icloud for pics) or get an external storage device. Which option to go for I'm not sure at all.

I think I've decided to go for a laptop still but eventually not replace the old desktop. I think I'll probably find myself ditching the desktop and using the laptop instead given the age of what I'm using now.

So next question is any suggestions for laptops and any suggestions for the storage?

And, finally, the other story, my phone. I bought a new one last week and it arrived with the charging cable that I can't use. I'd assumed one end would attach to the phone (it does) and the other end would be a USB but it's a USB-C which I can't connect to anything.

Any advice on any of this will be gratefully received.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4130 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:55 am
You would never think that I'd worked in an IT environment all my working life and in my latter years we did replace the desktops at work with laptops and docking stations.

I currently have an 11 year old desktop which doesn't even use Wifi because it is connected to the router. My only other online access is via my phone and that's another story. Because it's a desktop it obviously means I'm restricted to using it in one room which is why I thought of adding a laptop although obviously would need access to anything I need for UTC.

Your advice has been good, if at times confusing, but it seems most of the suggestions are to get a laptop to eventually replace the desktop and that would enable to use it at my desk (in the way I work now) connecting it to monitor, keyboard etc. (although my old keyboard is now the first one I bought in 1999) or anywhere else.

The suggestions for storage/back up have been to use cloud (I currently use icloud for pics) or get an external storage device. Which option to go for I'm not sure at all.

I think I've decided to go for a laptop still but eventually not replace the old desktop. I think I'll probably find myself ditching the desktop and using the laptop instead given the age of what I'm using now.

So next question is any suggestions for laptops and any suggestions for the storage?

And, finally, the other story, my phone. I bought a new one last week and it arrived with the charging cable that I can't use. I'd assumed one end would attach to the phone (it does) and the other end would be a USB but it's a USB-C which I can't connect to anything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Benfei ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Should fix your phone issue

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon May 17, 2021 12:30 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:55 am

Obvious questions are what's the budget, what do you want to use it for and will it mainly be for home use or will you be taking it out and about?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 17, 2021 1:18 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:30 pm
Obvious questions are what's the budget, what do you want to use it for and will it mainly be for home use or will you be taking it out and about?
Use is really a lot of UTC stuff, message board, updating site and general internet stuff. Nothing exceptional.

Budget - not thought to any great extent but often you get what you pay for and I don’t want to do cheap. I got a really good spec for the last desktop and it’s lasted as long as this.

Mainly home use but with the option of taking it with me as and when required.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 17, 2021 1:19 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:57 am
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Benfei ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Should fix your phone issue
Thanks

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Mon May 17, 2021 1:33 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:23 pm

Clouds.....? I imagined Tony looking out of the window, skywards and saying eh?

I once tried to explain Wifi to an older visiting group of my extended family and used the phrase 'its all around you' and they all looked nervously about the room

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 17, 2021 1:34 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:33 pm
Clouds.....? I imagined Tony looking out of the window, skywards and saying eh?

I once tried to explain Wifi to an older visiting group of my extended family and used the phrase 'its all around you' and they all looked nervously about the room
I’m not that old or out of touch 😂😂😂
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Mon May 17, 2021 1:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:34 pm
I’m not that old or out of touch 😂😂😂
Sorry Pal, couldn't resist

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Look out for a laptop that comes with one year of office365 as part of the package, there are plenty of deals like that on Amazon. That way you will get a Tbt of cloud storage as part of the package. As has been said previously it will then cost you about £70 pa to keep up the subscription. Make sure you check the monitor connections, old monitors will have a vga connection but most new laptops have hdmi ports, not many have vga ports as well

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:18 pm
Use is really a lot of UTC stuff, message board, updating site and general internet stuff. Nothing exceptional.

Budget - not thought to any great extent but often you get what you pay for and I don’t want to do cheap. I got a really good spec for the last desktop and it’s lasted as long as this.

Mainly home use but with the option of taking it with me as and when required.
Other people will have their own suggestions but I'd suggest that as a minimum you want to look at a 10th generation Intel processor (eg. one that starts I3-10XXX or I5-10XXX, preferably I5), 16GB RAM, HD (1920x1080 minimum) screen and 500GB+ SSD.

If you have a hefty budget I'd look at the Microsoft Surface laptops or the Dell XPS. For a more reasonable budget the Dell Outlet store often has some good deals and there are often further money off codes around. Something like this would be good for instance
https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/Sec ... wEcbW7pnXq

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm

Chobulous wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 pm
Look out for a laptop that comes with one year of office365 as part of the package, there are plenty of deals like that on Amazon. That way you will get a Tbt of cloud storage as part of the package. As has been said previously it will then cost you about £70 pa to keep up the subscription. Make sure you check the monitor connections, old monitors will have a vga connection but most new laptops have hdmi ports, not many have vga ports as well
Thanks Chobulous - I use Microsoft Office but I’m still using Office 2007.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 pm
Other people will have their own suggestions but I'd suggest that as a minimum you want to look at a 10th generation Intel processor (eg. one that starts I3-10XXX or I5-10XXX, preferably I5), 16GB RAM, HD (1920x1080 minimum) screen and 500GB+ SSD.

If you have a hefty budget I'd look at the Microsoft Surface laptops or the Dell XPS. For a more reasonable budget the Dell Outlet store often has some good deals and there are often further money off codes around. Something like this would be good for instance
https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/Sec ... wEcbW7pnXq
Thanks aggi - some good advice there

beddie
Been Liked: 1377 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by beddie » Mon May 17, 2021 4:48 pm

We were looking a few years ago for a new lap top, something that had excel, office and word. The experts on here recommended a Lenovo, it’s been really good, cost about £350/£375. There were much better models available but it suited our needs. It’s probably out of date now the way technology is moving.

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Mon May 17, 2021 9:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm
Thanks Chobulous - I use Microsoft Office but I’m still using Office 2007.
Office365 will recognise all of your old MS Office files so no problem there.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Chobulous wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:36 pm
Office365 will recognise all of your old MS Office files so no problem there.
I think moving from the 2007 version is probably a good idea.

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Perhaps you could ring the ticket office and ask for the contact details of the IT company who set up their website if they can be of assistance?

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue May 18, 2021 2:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 pm
I think moving from the 2007 version is probably a good idea.
If you're only planning to use it on one machine you can get Office for about £40 a year https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Of ... B00JLPEL2I Regardless you can generally pick it up cheaper than buying direct from MS.

It's a very good price if you use the cloud storage (it doesn't have to be only used for Office stuff, it can be used for pictures, backups, etc)

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 pm

I thought people stopped using office a while ago?
What's the advantage using it compared to Google or open office?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 18, 2021 2:43 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:20 pm
If you're only planning to use it on one machine you can get Office for about £40 a year https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Of ... B00JLPEL2I Regardless you can generally pick it up cheaper than buying direct from MS.

It's a very good price if you use the cloud storage (it doesn't have to be only used for Office stuff, it can be used for pictures, backups, etc)
Having that cloud storage would also get me round the other issue of a back up
This user liked this post: Zlatan

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue May 18, 2021 7:03 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 pm
I thought people stopped using office a while ago?
What's the advantage using it compared to Google or open office?
MS Office still leads in terms of advanced features and compatibility. Whether it's necessary for the average person is debatable but it's actually pretty cheap for just the cloud storage element when you compare it to icloud, dropbox, etc so I'd say it's still worth it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 18, 2021 8:04 pm

aggi wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:03 pm
MS Office still leads in terms of advanced features and compatibility. Whether it's necessary for the average person is debatable but it's actually pretty cheap for just the cloud storage element when you compare it to icloud, dropbox, etc so I'd say it's still worth it.
And if I back up all my files through MS Office then I won’t need my own external back up device.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue May 18, 2021 9:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:04 pm
And if I back up all my files through MS Office then I won’t need my own external back up device.
CT - OneDrive sync client is the application that ensures your cloud copy is synced to your devices, it does integrate with Office 365, but you don’t need O365 to use OneDrive for cloud storage, it’s just convenient to use them together. Offer still stands to demonstrate it all to you

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Wed May 19, 2021 2:47 am

aggi wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:03 pm
Oh yeah? I've been using Google and the free cloud so I didn't know there were still advantages to ms office. If Tony has a lot of office created documents he needs formatted correctly it's definitely a good idea.

I think the Dell XPS look neat and I've gotten deals from their outlet before. I have to say though my support experience with Dell was awful. I've since changed to hp and they've been fantastic by comparison. They recently upgraded my laptop after a fault 3 years into my carepack. They didn't need too since I had moved territories since either.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1017 times
Has Liked: 533 times

Post by Fretters » Wed May 19, 2021 6:56 am

Hi Tony, I'd get a laptop and use it as a second screen to your existing monitor (extend your desktop to do this). It is so handy to have a second screen. Get a monitor stand, stick your monitor on that above your laptop and away you go. You'll then just use the laptop keyboard so make sure you get one with a number pad if you need that - most 15"+ laptops have them.

Another vote for OneDrive too.