Some computer help needed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
canalsideClaret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Re: Some computer help needed

Post by canalsideClaret » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:57 pm

Hi Tony - I found these instructions also for OneDrive backup.

1 Select the blue cloud icon in the Windows notification area, select Help & Settings > Settings, then Backup > Manage backup.
2 Select the folders that you want to back up.
3 Select Start backup.

Does this help at all?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:51 pm

canalsideClaret wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:57 pm

1 Select the blue cloud icon in the Windows notification area, select Help & Settings > Settings, then Backup > Manage backup.
3 Select Start backup.

Does this help at all?
Afraid not. I do have a cloud in the notification area but when I select it I just get a message telling me that all my files are in sync, which they clearly are not.

I've now hit further problems. I switched the desktop on today and it was asking me for a password as part of the startup. I've had it 11 years and never once have I had to use a password. I just kept guessing at some of the passwords I use until one finally let me in.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:52 pm

I could assist.... But you've blocked me

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:59 pm

canalsideClaret wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:57 pm

3 Select Start backup.

Does this help at all?
I think it has helped the second time. I tried again this afternoon and this time I got the pop up with the 'Help & Settings' option so then followed the instructions. It started backing up all the files at around 3:30 p.m. today and it's now around a third of the way through. But it does appear to be working.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:43 am

Could I please thank all of you who have offered advice & help on this thread. What would once have been an easy task for me is no longer the case. I think it is just getting older and getting stressed over things more easily.

Anyway - where I am

New laptop purchased ✅
Microsoft 365 purchased ✅
All files on desktop now copied into OneDrive ✅

This means I have all my files now backed up. They sync when updated.

Once the desktop goes it would leave me with everything on OneDrive but should I be copying it onto the new laptop so I have the OneDrive as a copy?

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3193 times
Has Liked: 1873 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:17 pm

You shouldn’t need a copy of it now it’s on the OneDrive

If you create a “local” copy on your laptop, then you will either use that and the OneDrive file will not be updated or vice versa

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:36 pm

There is an option on a folder by folder basis to “always keep on my device” so you can keep local copies for when you’re offline, and they will be re-synced when you go back online. The previous versions is also good for rolling back changes if something is broken .

Consider though that if you have a large OneDrive folder you may have to be selective about which folder to always keep on device as the local copy is cached to your user profile (usually) and will fill your local hard disk

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:43 am
Could I please thank all of you who have offered advice & help on this thread. What would once have been an easy task for me is no longer the case. I think it is just getting older and getting stressed over things more easily.

Anyway - where I am

New laptop purchased ✅

Once the desktop goes it would leave me with everything on OneDrive but should I be copying it onto the new laptop so I have the OneDrive as a copy?
Congrats Tony. It's very satisfying that you can still fight your way through to win these battles with modern technology.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:43 am

Anyway - where I am

New laptop purchased ✅

Keep the stuff on Onedrive and work on it. Your copy is effectively the Onedrive cloud. This means that the most recent version of anything is getting backed up, you don't have to actually think about backing things up and, for things like Word and Excel, you'll get version history so you can roll back edits.

If you want you can also have Onedrive back up your Desktop, Documents, etc (go on the little cloud icon on your system tray, right click, settings, Back up, Manage back up, make sure those folders are ticked, Start back up) which may be a preferred way of working.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:53 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:40 pm
Keep the stuff on Onedrive and work on it. Your copy is effectively the Onedrive cloud. This means that the most recent version of anything is getting backed up, you don't have to actually think about backing things up and, for things like Word and Excel, you'll get version history so you can roll back edits.

If you want you can also have Onedrive back up your Desktop, Documents, etc (go on the little cloud icon on your system tray, right click, settings, Back up, Manage back up, make sure those folders are ticked, Start back up) which may be a preferred way of working.
I think everything I need to back up I have done so and I've now got copies on my old desktop hard drive and in OneDrive.