The Unexplainable

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Mrpotatohead
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 9 times

The Unexplainable

Post by Mrpotatohead » Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 pm

I've just been watching Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix and it got me wondering, there must be some folk on here who have tales about things they have seen, heard, or experienced which no matter how much logic they apply, they cannot explain. Anyone care to share?

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Re: The Unexplainable

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 11, 2021 8:39 pm

One that at the time was unexplainable but was solved.
I was sat on a fire engine whilst the lads put out a chimney fire. In the smoke coming out of this chimney was an angel blowing a horn. I was totally baffled but am not religious and don’t believe in spooky stuff. When the lads got back I pointed it out and they could all see it but nobody knew where it came from. We packed the gear away and I drove around the corner, heading back to the station. Around the corner was a BT phonebox with their horn blowing logo. The street lighting had refracted the logo from the phone box up into the smoke but in the smoke it had lost it’s colour.
41B93DF6-787B-4B1C-AD2D-B5A9A42E9A2F.jpeg
41B93DF6-787B-4B1C-AD2D-B5A9A42E9A2F.jpeg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 4468 times
These 2 users liked this post: BertiesBeehole tarkys_ears

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm

Only last night I was watching TV when a footballer clearly committed a deliberate handball offence, stopping another footballer from having a scoring opportunity, yet, inexplicably, the first footballer carried on playing.
How do you explain that?
These 5 users liked this post: bobinho Vegas Claret Stalbansclaret FeedTheArf tarkys_ears

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 pm

Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm
Only last night I was watching TV when a footballer clearly committed a deliberate handball offence, stopping another footballer from having a scoring opportunity, yet, inexplicably, the first footballer carried on playing.
How do you explain that?
I believe it's called VAR (Very Average Reffing)

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10903 times
Has Liked: 5582 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue May 11, 2021 9:35 pm

only one thing sticks out

Coming back through Todmorden after watching the Clarets at Halifax - 99% sure it was the snow ball fight game - 5 of us in the car ranging from 14 to 50 years old. Up at the top of one of the hills was a line of bright white lights, maybe 8 or 9 spread across what we guessed as the length of a couple of farmers fields. We pulled the car over and watched for a while to see if we could figure out what they were. There is NOTHING on top of that hill, no buildings, no farm and certainly no lights. To this day, completely unexplained.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:35 pm
Up at the top of one of the hills was a line of bright white lights, maybe 8 or 9 spread across what we guessed as the length of a couple of farmers fields.
Lampers?

huw.Y.WattfromWare

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 11, 2021 11:53 pm

This in tomorrow mornings papers.
2054B81E-3A9B-42D7-B419-25430CD3F078.jpeg
2054B81E-3A9B-42D7-B419-25430CD3F078.jpeg (44.26 KiB) Viewed 3865 times

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 12, 2021 12:36 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 pm
Lampers?
Frank ?

joking aside, what are Lampers ?
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Wed May 12, 2021 6:43 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:36 am
Frank ?

joking aside, what are Lampers ?
Poachers who use bright lights to help catch hares and rabbits. I think they use the bright lights to mesmerize the animal which makes them easier to catch. Something like that anyway.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 4977 times
Has Liked: 6658 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 12, 2021 7:05 am

I've heard there is a small town team that has a population that can fit in a Manchester stadium that despite only spending three and six pence on transfers and wages has stayed in an elite top flight league for 6 years at least.....and counting. Spooky.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 am

Driving through Hellifield at midnight, many years ago. MY then girlfriend was with me. Rounding a corner, the car headlights lit up a bride and groom standing in the drive to their house. She wore a white bridal gown, he wore a formal suit and had his top hat on. There were staring ahead and were completely motionless. I drove past, then turned round and drove past the house again - there was nothing to see this time! I checked to see if there had been any weddings in Hellifield on that day - there were none. We were really shocked.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2365 times
Has Liked: 3770 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed May 12, 2021 10:10 am

When we lived in S Lincs I used to use a minor road (Little Ponton) to access/egress the A1 near Grantham. It is very narrow and banked near the A1.

Early hours of one morning we were returning from a holiday abroad and looking forward to home, a brew and bed. I took the turn off the A1 and in the headlights a beastie disappeared into and through the hedgerow. It was the size of a large dog but looked to all intents and purposes like the fabled Black Panther.

I swear the car dropped 5 degrees in temperature as the chill ran through us :shock:

Never discovered what it was and suggestions of a dog might be true but about 3am most dogs re by a fire or radiator and there was no sign of a human either.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 4977 times
Has Liked: 6658 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 12, 2021 11:46 am

Serious answer 25 plus years ago I was in the back garden tidying up after BBQ no alcohol consumed though it was about 10pm and had turned dark, I looked up and flashing through the sky was a large cigar shaped smooth stainless steel looking object that shot across the sky from higham towards Hambledon hill, behind it was a long tube of the primary colours all individual and also alongside the object like it was generating the lights from the side of it, I saw it for a few seconds such was its speed, it was silent. More bizarrely without me telling anyone apart from my wife some relations witnessed it whilst driving back from Rawtenstall near the ski slope.
I'm not into alianscetc and no doubt it will have been a hypersonic engine being tested or something but after 25 plus years I have never seen a production craft like it.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2584 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed May 12, 2021 1:02 pm

Here's a mystery. Why did all the spooky apparitions, celestial visitors and mythical beasts all stop appearing at exactly the moment in history everyone got mobile recording equipment in their phones?

Real bad luck, that.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan tarkys_ears

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Wed May 12, 2021 2:04 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:10 am
When we lived in S Lincs I used to use a minor road (Little Ponton) to access/egress the A1 near Grantham. It is very narrow and banked near the A1.

Early hours of one morning we were returning from a holiday abroad and looking forward to home, a brew and bed. I took the turn off the A1 and in the headlights a beastie disappeared into and through the hedgerow. It was the size of a large dog but looked to all intents and purposes like the fabled Black Panther.

I swear the car dropped 5 degrees in temperature as the chill ran through us :shock:

Never discovered what it was and suggestions of a dog might be true but about 3am most dogs re by a fire or radiator and there was no sign of a human either.
I've had two similar encounters, without the temperature drop, both one which turned out to be deer and one we presume was a deer.

First was down south late at night on a dark country road, suddenly two eye appear from the side of the road right in front of the car. Couldn't swerve or brake in time so I hit it, but there was no sign of anything on the road or in the ditch and everything was quiet, so it had obviously run off. From the height of the eyes it would have been large dog size so we presumed it was most likely a deer.

The other was in Cumbria, driving along dark country track with my now wife, suddenly all we can see are a lot of eyes coming towards us which was very weird. It turns out it was a herd of deer which suddenly changed direction and leaped over the fence into the next field.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:10 am

It might have been Black Shuck :shock:.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 12, 2021 3:01 pm

Longsider wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:43 am
Poachers who use bright lights to help catch hares and rabbits. I think they use the bright lights to mesmerize the animal which makes them easier to catch. Something like that anyway.
ah ok, I would say very doubtful given the size, the perfect distance between them, the scale and how stationary they were

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed May 12, 2021 5:38 pm

I thought of a t-shirt slogan 'Feed the vulture chicks scrap metal' and a week later there was a metal vulture sign on a Sky TV van (about a month ago).

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3433 times
Has Liked: 6338 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:39 pm

Pstotto...
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret tim_noone Anonymous

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1763 times
Has Liked: 1766 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed May 12, 2021 9:49 pm

This thread is inexplicable.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed May 12, 2021 10:03 pm

And there's more... And you wonder why I'm mad.

Deep trauma.

In 2001 I was at Winchester School of Art. For some reason I started putting and extending an artwork on a message board which is strange enough.

It said 'A love story that spans continents. Pump action presents shotgun esoterics, in four acts'

Don't ask, I don't know.

For some reason I took it off the noticeboard on 10.9.2001.

The next day 9/11 happened.

I'm still in shock on one level over it.

I was in a pub in Canterbury a few years later and I was at the bar trying to describe the scene in La Dolce Vita where a team of engineers trying to build an underground, drill through to a Roman Bath and I said to someone that the drill was like spining elephants on a stick.

When I left the pub I thought how weird to even get into such a conversation.

The next day on MSN there was a photo of a fairgound ride with Dumbo elephants with seats on a stick of sorts.

I'm baffled to this day about it.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1729 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 pm

It’s the niggly ones that do your head in the most.

Occasionally, my mate comes to my office in a business centre to use the spare desk, on there is a monitor with a HDMI cable hanging from it. He finds it much easier to do his work with the second monitor.

One night we stayed late in the office, he brought his Macbook and plugged the HDMI cable from the monitor. I Was knackered, it was like 1am and I wanted to call it a night and he said he’ll come back to finish what he was doing in the morning and like me, he had a deadline to meet.

He put his Macbook away in his bag, I locked up my office and whole building, put on the alarm and then we went separate ways, home to bed for a few hours.

I came back the next morning. I was on the phone when he arrived and after a while, I noticed he wasn’t working and was trying to get my attention.

I finished the call and he asked where the HDMI lead for the monitor was... I hadn’t moved it, so we concluded that in a tired state while chatting, he must’ve unplugged it and placed it in his bag last night because it was nowhere to be found in the office, it wasn’t on the floor, not under the desk - it wasn’t there... so he looked in his bag and it wasn’t there either.

Now going crazy, he emptied his bag out, checked all the side pockets. Not there. He was sure he went straight home and straight to bed that night and didn’t open his bag at any point, so he didn’t unpack the lead... but he even went back home to check, he looked in his car and then came back to the office and we both looked everywhere and retraced our steps to the front door.

I know I didn’t move it, I had no reason to and he needed it because it meant he could finish he work much quicker with his approaching deadline. To this day, its never turned up. It disappeared.

Sometime during early hours, someone must’ve walked in to my locked office and taken it. There’s no other explanation. The business centre staff say they didn’t borrow it but there only ones with a spare key.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Wed May 12, 2021 11:06 pm

Whatever happened to my Golden Gate money? A mystery to this day.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm

Slightly used HDMI cable for sale £10.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2314 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri May 14, 2021 2:34 pm

The second lane going past George IV towards Burnley.