New LED Signage and Big Screens

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Re: New LED Signage and Big Screens

Post by Pstotto » Fri May 14, 2021 4:30 pm

I live away and LED advertising won't help me connect with the club and surely your not suggesting that Burnley will gain more fans and have a wider TV audience to watch advertising.

That is actually mad.

Completely bananas.

In actual fact, Burnley and Turf Moor have gained a lot of respect and widened their fanbase for having a traditional stadium and an English team that plays fair.

This pseudo Spurs stadium mega blitz to hide bad football with stobe effects and hypnographics (3 bands of it) is the exact opposite of what can market the club around the world.

Now Burnley anywhere stadium anywhere graphic pulverization of the fans.

When those three bands are computer synched to make one uber object it's over and the end of English football.

The fat-arsed middle-class blokes who don't do football will be triumphant.

I suggested a ban on LED ads at the Turf and instead hand-painted signs and the club would benefit better, but no interest.
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 tim_noone

chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Post by chekhov » Fri May 14, 2021 10:48 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:30 pm
I live away and LED advertising won't help me connect with the club and surely your not suggesting that Burnley will gain more fans and have a wider TV audience to watch advertising.

That is actually mad.

Completely bananas.

In actual fact, Burnley and Turf Moor have gained a lot of respect and widened their fanbase for having a traditional stadium and an English team that plays fair.

This pseudo Spurs stadium mega blitz to hide bad football with stobe effects and hypnographics (3 bands of it) is the exact opposite of what can market the club around the world.

When those three bands are computer synched to make one uber object it's over and the end of English football.

I suggested a ban on LED ads at the Turf and instead hand-painted signs and the club would benefit better, but no interest.
I second that. And I love the idea of hand-painted hoardings around the ground. It would be a real coup for advertisers wanting to stand out from the crowd. Instead we’ll have a bland identikit stadium with supporters subliminally blinded into submission, with the football a minor distraction from the main goal: selling you stuff you didn’t know you didn’t need.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat May 15, 2021 7:34 am

Pstotto wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 am
For the 2004 European Championships, Macdonalds had an ad where they used the sound of a football hooter to chime not for football but for Macdonalds, as a viral appropration of a natural thing.

I get the feeling that when goals are scored they will try and induce a media association of lights and sound and graphic 'pulsing' for want of a better word to overcome the crowd and blitz them in the act of celebration to emasculate natural joy and re-direct it towards advertised products via a perverted association.

I have my suspicions of Pace buying the club to use the Burnley fans for a social experiment in media indoctrination and product-sell.

He's obviously not interested in Burnley per se because he tried to buy Sheffield United, one of our biggest enemies.
I quite like the idea of a goal being scored, a siren going off, and watching the whole crowd run for a burger!!!

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat May 15, 2021 7:35 am

Static advertisement that can't be amended or a digital board you can update with different products/seasonal offers?
"selling you stuff you didn’t know you didn’t need." also known as advertising 😊
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat May 15, 2021 10:11 am

Pstotto wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:30 pm

That is actually mad.

Completely bananas.

We are in 2021, wake up. Some embarrassing comments on here. :lol:

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat May 15, 2021 10:40 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:11 am
We are in 2021, wake up. Some embarrassing comments on here. :lol:
Crazy how resistant some of our fans are to change. I remember the uproar when they introduced card payments in the concourses last season. :lol:

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat May 15, 2021 11:12 am

Pstotto sounds completely bananas.

Our fan base won't shrink because the like of Pstotto don't like 21st century neon signs, what we will is our pockets.

It is good to see that the club is using modern technology to improve our revenues through advertising

It would be great if the club could bring on board a new sponcers in the hut group mold.

Turf Moor to be renamed the Hut Stadium or My protein Stadium after one of their many brands with the shirts as well. 10 year deal worth 200 million would be excellent

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 am

I’m for these sort of changes but I can well imagine that there are plenty who won’t like them. The last thing we want to be doing is alienating fans.

What we should be doing is trying to bring everyone on board and not just looking at them as dinosaurs or viewing their opinions as embarrassing.

A stadium full of flashing advertising is a big step away from your traditional football stadium and your, perhaps older, football fan.

The club should be doing everything it can to cater for our long standing fans just as it should be for the next generation.

Their opinions are not embarrassing, they’re just as valid as the rest of us. It could be argued through longevity of support, that they should be valued even more!

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat May 15, 2021 11:24 am

Works both ways.

We’ve got one chance to catch the next generation of fans, who likely help catch the generation after (dads and sons etc) and so I’d say that the older fans who aren’t as open to this kind of thing, should be more open and embrace the new ways for the long term benefit of the club.

Interesting comments in Alan Pace’s programme notes today is a reference to further announcements. I suspect the concourses are getting a much needed rejig and makeover.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 6:16 pm

I think I know more about it than you, TopClaret (who is probably a computer bot in China) as I study media and computing and three bands of LED computer tech synchronized to create Uber objects will be a massive media assault to drown all feelings and noise of the crowd and to steal its balls basically for a moving Dashund or whatever.

If 'they' want ads at Turf Moor for a bit of world TV exposure surely a fixed sign is more valuable and how come a painted sign is any less cheap regarding background space?

100 million for a painting, if I do the ad.

... And what about the carbon footprint of the ground and the money for the tech and the electricity and the insurance and the transport of all that?

... Plus cleaning, maintenance and security AND operation, programming and designing the ads and that comes out of profit and tech replacements as wannabe clubs like Burnley are left behind in the tech race, IF they compete in that game of keepy uppy.

If the made a big hand-painted Bulldog Flake sign from the 1902 footage of us v. Man U. at the Turf and placed it in a similar way on the Bob Lord Stand roof, Bulmers Cider or Johny Walker would be itching to get theirs next to it.
Last edited by Pstotto on Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:16 pm
I think I know more about it than you, TopClaret (who is probably a computer bot in China) as I study media and computing and three bands of LED computer tech synchronized to create Uber objects will be a massive media assault to drown all feelings and noise of the crowd and to steal its balls basically for a moving Dashund or whatever.

If 'they' want ads at Turf Moor for a bit of world TV exposure surely a fixed sign is more valuable and how come a painted sign is any less cheap regarding background space?

... And what about the carbon footprint of the ground and the money for the tech and the electricity and the insurance and the transport of all that?
Don’t forget that the signage won’t just be for advertising. They can and are used effectively for creating an experience, setting an atmosphere and providing all sorts of information.

The biggest positive over fixed advertising is of course that LED signage can deliver endless content variations.

There will be a carbon footprint but I’d hope that in the future Burnley and other clubs would become carbon neutral. On that point, I’ve never understood why stadium roofing isn’t used for solar panels - it’d be a significant area that could be utilised and go at least some way to offsetting a clubs carbon footprint.

Appreciating that you’re not a fan of the proposal, you must appreciate a number of the benefits that they will bring, even if they’re not to your taste.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 6:34 pm

'They can and are used effectively for creating an experience, setting an atmosphere and providing all sorts of information.'

Yeah Bob and pay for it with the loss of your mind as well.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat May 15, 2021 6:38 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:16 pm

... Plus cleaning, maintenance and security AND operation, programming and designing the ads and that comes out of profit and tech replacements as wannabe clubs like Burnley are left behind in the tech race, IF they compete in that game of keepy uppy.

If the made a big hand-painted Bulldog Flake sign from the 1902 footage of us v. Man U. at the Turf and placed it in a similar way on the Bob Lord Stand roof, Bulmers Cider or Johny Walker would be itching to get theirs next to it.
😂 😂 😂 Yr fukin bananas

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Looks like your ass and your fukins in China if the rest of you is still up Stoops! :D

Never mind planes over eaten and had, Elon Musk for-hire hologram Ads 50 miles wide from space for !00 million a go, this decade.

Stop Now.

Camel at King Georges Hall in 1975 multi-media great and trippy, Turf Moor 2021 and on, no.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat May 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:34 pm
'They can and are used effectively for creating an experience, setting an atmosphere and providing all sorts of information.'

Yeah Bob and pay for it with the loss of your mind as well.
Well I was attempting to form a bit of debate. I’ve obviously failed dismally.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat May 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:39 pm
Looks like your ass and your fukins in China if the rest of you is still up Stoops! :D

Never mind planes over eaten and had, Elon Musk for-hire hologram Ads 50 miles wide from space for !00 million a go, this decade.

Stop Now.

Camel at King Georges Hall in 1975 multi-media great and trippy, Turf Moor 2021 and on, no.
Eh?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:45 pm
Eh?
Don't bother ... he's been on the cat nip again 🙄
This user liked this post: Grumps

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Loyal, in a fast changing world, what is more valuable than tradition and that is Burnley's current new fan market and authenticity as a unique marketing feature, like seeing Crown Point from the press box.

For a lot of products, no change = best.

The best doesn't need to change.

Abroad , folk love that about England more than anything else.

They trust the UK as the good parent nation of the world.

Meanwhile, Alan Pace in the Cricket club cafe next door... :-)

https://youtu.be/6wtfNE4z6a8

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 6:59 pm

Meanwhile... Endless electronic variation SPAMS your mind at 100 thousand times a stobe quicker than your eyes and can you remember even your lunch from a few hours ago?

4GGees and then 50 GGees of the mind apocalypse????

Jack Nicholson didn't get his toast but you'll get your toasted no mind, huh Topclaret?????

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Grumps, seeing Camel in 1975, prog rock and massive electronic stage show is quite an experience for that 1st time live-in-the-evening and a 13 yrs old boy from the sticks.

Kids now like grumps don't know what that is.

The flow of media is akin to a drug-induced state where the mind appears to flow.

If you've ever been on a drip in hospital because you can't drink, the body can feel over 'liquidy', I had to ask the nurse for it to stop and live multi-media and prog-rock and smoke is quite awe-inspiring and the mind can flow a bit, because the cosmic animation flow one can believe not as a truth but as a phenomenon.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Talking of ground improvements, saw this on Twitter earlier:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TranmereRove ... 7076005888

This is the kind of fanzine we desperately need. Hope something similar is in ALKs plans.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat May 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:13 pm
Grumps, seeing Camel in 1975, prog rock and massive electronic stage show is quite an experience for that 1st time live-in-the-evening and a 13 yrs old boy from the sticks.

Kids now like grumps don't know what that is.

The flow of media is akin to a drug-induced state where the mind appears to flow.

If you've ever been on a drip in hospital because you can't drink, the body can feel over 'liquidy', I had to ask the nurse for it to stop and live multi-media and prog-rock and smoke is quite awe-inspiring and the mind can flow a bit, because the cosmic animation flow one can believe not as a truth but as a phenomenon.
I know he's bonkers when he calls me a kid :lol: I'd been working a few years by 1975...

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 7:27 pm

So the 'EH?' is memory loss and you were the bloke at the bar having a spliff in the toilets.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat May 15, 2021 7:27 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:23 pm
Talking of ground improvements, saw this on Twitter earlier:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TranmereRove ... 7076005888

This is the kind of fanzine we desperately need. Hope something similar is in ALKs plans.
That looks great!!

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 7:33 pm

Once there was Gondwana and Laurasia, how many millions of years in the future to you think it will be before Prenton Park is in Valencia?

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat May 15, 2021 7:37 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:33 pm
Once there was Gondwana and Laurasia, how many millions of years in the future to you think it will be before Prenton Park is in Valencia?
Please explain the link between the break up of a super continent and Tranmere becoming a part of Valencia. I’d love to understand.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 pm

The choice of Mediterranean light as a the constant 3D computer graphic weather and lighting and color on the CG and the retro-futurist glass/concrete architectural style/Eco-Echo scrubbed up.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 pm

... And those computer graphic police are on the look out for anyone in a Sunderland scarf.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat May 15, 2021 7:52 pm

Cheers, that nails it.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 15, 2021 8:03 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:27 pm
That looks great!!
It does, doesn’t it? Exactly what we need - under cover, massive bar, decent beer (looks like they plan to brew their own), long tables, street food stalls, big TV’s!

All affordable for a league two side.

We have a tiny marquee :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: DCWat

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 15, 2021 8:08 pm

While I’m on the subject of other clubs improving their facilities, here’s Conference Premier Stockport County’s recent refurb of Edgeley Park:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StockportCou ... 0093748225

Concourses in particular look very smart.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 8:17 pm

Similar grounds, Stockport and Tranmere the Villarreals of the future?

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 8:18 pm

... In Europe?

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 8:19 pm

... Or perhaps Laurasia.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 15, 2021 8:30 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:08 pm
While I’m on the subject of other clubs improving their facilities, here’s Conference Premier Stockport County’s recent refurb of Edgeley Park:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StockportCou ... 0093748225

Concourses in particular look very smart.
Who is it that’s chucking the money in at Stockport?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:30 pm
No idea!!

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Sat May 15, 2021 9:20 pm

Madchester Onion Tits?

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat May 15, 2021 9:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
I know they started having a lot of concerts there in the summer, must have booster the coffers there but who knows how much

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sat May 15, 2021 10:07 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
local self made lad called Mark Stott - certainly been showing his money during the pandemic

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economi ... e-19721137

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat May 15, 2021 11:39 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm
Don’t forget that the signage won’t just be for advertising. They can and are used effectively for creating an experience, setting an atmosphere and providing all sorts of information.

The biggest positive over fixed advertising is of course that LED signage can deliver endless content variations.

There will be a carbon footprint but I’d hope that in the future Burnley and other clubs would become carbon neutral. On that point, I’ve never understood why stadium roofing isn’t used for solar panels - it’d be a significant area that could be utilised and go at least some way to offsetting a clubs carbon footprint.

Appreciating that you’re not a fan of the proposal, you must appreciate a number of the benefits that they will bring, even if they’re not to your taste.
These boards can't create an experience. No-one who doesn't like football is going to go just to watch the sign boards. The experience is the game of football; all these boards can do is enhance the experience, or of course make no difference, or make it worse.

I have actual experience of this. Miller Park, Milwaukee, which I visit most years (baseball stadium) used to have fixed signage between the tiers. A few years back they replaced it with rolling electrics; I have seen lots of matches both before and after. The rolling signage adds nothing, and is a bit bright and mildly intrusive. It doesn't really bother me, but there's no benefit, any more than there is benefit to the electric sign boards near the Turf Moor pitch.

It might depend to some extent what it's used for. If it is used for such as team news to help out people who can't see the big screens, then that's clearly a good thing. Milwaukee's is basically used for either advertising, or for saying "Wow" and "Make Some Noise" and such like.

As for the carbon neutral argument, it's an odd one. Al Gore was one of its proponents, and his argument basically boiled down to the idea that he was able to waste loads of electricity on floodlighting his mansion because he was able to plant loads of trees elsewhere. Why not plant the trees and switch of the lights? Same with this. If BFC does achieve carbon neutrality, then what's to stop them switching off the electric boards and becoming carbon positive?

Solar panels seem like a good idea - so good (and surely obvious) that I wonder if the roofs aren't strong enough for the weight. Or if strangely angled solar panels on the roofs (since none of the roofs slope the right way) would be liable to wind or other weather damage.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sun May 16, 2021 12:15 am

dsr wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:39 pm
These boards can't create an experience. No-one who doesn't like football is going to go just to watch the sign boards. The experience is the game of football; all these boards can do is enhance the experience, or of course make no difference, or make it worse.

I have actual experience of this. Miller Park, Milwaukee, which I visit most years (baseball stadium) used to have fixed signage between the tiers. A few years back they replaced it with rolling electrics; I have seen lots of matches both before and after. The rolling signage adds nothing, and is a bit bright and mildly intrusive. It doesn't really bother me, but there's no benefit, any more than there is benefit to the electric sign boards near the Turf Moor pitch.

It might depend to some extent what it's used for. If it is used for such as team news to help out people who can't see the big screens, then that's clearly a good thing. Milwaukee's is basically used for either advertising, or for saying "Wow" and "Make Some Noise" and such like.

As for the carbon neutral argument, it's an odd one. Al Gore was one of its proponents, and his argument basically boiled down to the idea that he was able to waste loads of electricity on floodlighting his mansion because he was able to plant loads of trees elsewhere. Why not plant the trees and switch of the lights? Same with this. If BFC does achieve carbon neutrality, then what's to stop them switching off the electric boards and becoming carbon positive?

Solar panels seem like a good idea - so good (and surely obvious) that I wonder if the roofs aren't strong enough for the weight. Or if strangely angled solar panels on the roofs (since none of the roofs slope the right way) would be liable to wind or other weather damage.
Fair points DSR.

I’d counter though that the match day experience will be changed (improved for some, worsened for others). The boards themselves won’t create an experience but will hopefully form part of an improved experience.

You could be right about the weight and / or angles of the roofing on stands - must admit I’d not really considered that in my musings of the idea.

We can always say that it would be better if we didn’t, but ultimately, we’ll be far more likely to achieve carbon targets if the impact upon lives is as little as possible. So, yes we could say that we could be “carbon positive” but it’s perhaps more about what we can do that allows us still do the things we want or need to do.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:53 pm

New digital board is up and running, good to see CWR on there.... without the strapline though!
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:54 pm

Looking good in the beautiful summer weather 🌞

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 pm

I posted on another thread that a friend of mine had seen it yesterday but I'd not seen it myself until these pics.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 pm

Quite liked the old board there. Lost some nostalgia.
These 3 users liked this post: jrgbfc fidelcastro tim_noone

Sean Dyche's Watch
Been Liked: 233 times

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:23 pm

Seems a bit distracting at a very busy junction!

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:37 pm

Looks like you've superimposed it into those images!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:42 pm

wtf is going on on this thread ?!

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 728 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:42 pm
wtf is going on on this thread ?!
If you find out will you let me know!!

Absolutely bonkers.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:15 pm

Just out of Interest.... How Long has the HOLLYWOOD sign been up that Hill?? Has it been illuminated with LED?