The matchday experience last night

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

The matchday experience last night

Post by jdrobbo » Thu May 20, 2021 10:29 pm

Evening all,

I’d be at the front of the queue when it comes to talking about what I felt was a ticketing/balloting fiasco, but that’s something for the club to review, hopefully in consultation with the supporters.

However, and very much in the interest of fairness, I just wanted to put a quick post up, to acknowledge the tremendous level of hard work that had clearly been put in by the club, to get the matchday itself, right, for those fortunate enough, like myself, to have been selected.

I absolutely don’t speak for everyone but from a personal point of view, I thought the instructions around the stadium were very clear and the sanitising points were plentiful in numbers.

I turned my nose up at having to enter the ground at 7pm, having had to travel from Leeds after work, but on reflection, this was well thought out and necessary, with the high level of checking going on. Talking of queues, they were orderly and seemed to move along at a pace.

The system the ground, on the concourse, to have fans directed along the concourse areas to their seats, was clear and efficient.

The toilets had all been prepped for suitable social distancing and I don’t recall them causing any issues.

The way the fans were asked to remain in seats and await instructions at the end of the match seemed ott, but when you saw how the stewards were asking fans to walk along rows and exit by the end gangways, it all made sense.

Finally, a word for the staff...those manning the outside queues, those on the turnstiles, those giving out free bottles of water (a lovely touch) and those offering help in the ground....I thought they did a brilliant job. I saw two people wanting to leave just before the end, who’d clearly been in the pub beforehand and who took issue with the notion that they needed to wait, but the stewards spoke to them brilliantly and clearly explained what was a very well thought out system and the fans in question, were quickly accepting of the idea.

It felt like everyone at the club was on the same page last night. It must have been a tough event to organise and get right, but get it right they did.

Thank you BFC!

UTC

John
These 14 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Spijed Bosscat Winstonswhite Leisure RalphCoatesComb Zlatan bfcjg The Hung Juror bobinho ClaretPope Sarum Madpete chorleyhere

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Re: The matchday experience last night

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu May 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Well said and a much needed positive post about what was a very difficult and probably unique scenario that everyone to deal with.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu May 20, 2021 11:13 pm

Well said jdrobbo. The club takes lots of criticism, some justified and some not, however, it is good that you have reported your experience last night and accepted everything that had been done to enable you to see the game.

I have decided that I shall not renew my season ticket for nest season, mainly because I do a 300 mile round trip and I am fed up of VAR and the general way that the game is progressing. After 69 years this was a very difficult decision to take!

Having said that, I contacted Elaine at the ticket office to let her know because there were a couple of other issues which were relative to my decision. I have to say that Elaine dealt with everything, as she always had over the years I have dealt with her, and resolved the issues without any problem.

The Club takes a lot of stick, however, I have had to deal with them from afar since 1966 and have never had a problem at all.
This user liked this post: Brucefanclaret

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Thu May 20, 2021 11:24 pm

Spot on John. I ended up being later than o wanted as my journey from Leeds was via Oakworth but in the end the organisation and approach for the whole night was very good indeed

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Fri May 21, 2021 6:43 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:24 pm
Spot on John. I ended up being later than o wanted as my journey from Leeds was via Oakworth but in the end the organisation and approach for the whole night was very good indeed
Glad to read that you had a similar experience.

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:03 am

After all the debate and hoo haa the main point for me entry was FOC not £30, £40 or £60 whatever as per the others.

And I for one congratulate the club on that point and not increasing season tickets for next season.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri May 21, 2021 7:08 am

I've spoken to a couple of safety officers at PL clubs over the last year and the amount of planning that has gone into this, from Project Restart and the brief reopening prior to Christmas to fans returning at all grounds this week, has been huge.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri May 21, 2021 7:28 am

I thought it must have gone well, with no mention of it on here, we'd be into about 10 pages by now had it not been well organised.
These 3 users liked this post: bfcjg Loyalclaret bobinho

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Fri May 21, 2021 7:43 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:13 pm

“have decided that I shall not renew my season ticket for nest season, mainly because I do a 300 mile round trip and I am fed up of VAR and the general way that the game is progressing. After 69 years this was a very difficult decision to take!”
—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Ashington. I imagine it wasn’t an easy decision for you after all those years of attending. We were undecided but that was down to me being grumpy because we’ve lost our brilliant seats. I hope you find other things to do on those match days that ordinarily you would have been travelling to those games. Where were you coming from? it sounds a heck of a distance. I fully understand your reasoning behind the travel and especially var, I’d like to see it scrapped, incidentally our family friend whose a ref has said they prefer it as the majority of them believe it takes some pressure off them whilst officiating. I wish you well it whatever you decide to do.

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Fri May 21, 2021 7:58 am

Thought it worked very well myself. Had no problems apart from being sat under two neanderthals

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Fri May 21, 2021 8:09 am

Yes, I can only echo what jdrobbo says. It was a great experience irrespective of the result, I felt quite emotional when the 2 teams came out.

Thank you to all those involved in what must have been a huge task.

I thought the decision not to charge was brilliant and a masterstroke, in showing other clubs and so called elite clubs the way football should be run -for the fans.

Let us hope it is a sign of things to come from the new owners. Well done Burnley Football Club and UTC.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri May 21, 2021 8:20 am

Overall thought it went well. Wrote a bit on another thread but can not find it. It felt great to be back in the ground.

The queue for entrance A on the Bob Lord went down to the corner where the Wellington was, entrance B near the club shop was totally clear. However it moved fast and staff were handing out complimentary water which was a nice touch. Our ID/tickets were checked at least twice properly, I spoke to a couple who had been refused for trying to use another family member's tickets - they seemed OK about it. I had the QR for all three in my phone, it caused no issues at all. Under the stand you could walk the full length of the concourse, not sure if both entrances could have been used once the early shift had got seated.

Stewards were fine, few people talking down stairs at h/t. Admittedly we had a beer before the game, so when the steward personally came around to ask people to wait for his instruction to leave and you could see down the stand none of the other stewards seemed to be doing the same. Once the players did half a lap of appreciation (missing the Bob Lord 😁) we set off to leave and were asked to stay behind. On reflection we should have taken more notice of the instruction.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri May 21, 2021 8:44 am

The day started well with an early morning trip to the club shop and the good-looking lass who works just happened to be serving on then onto abeautiful, sunny walk round Pendle followed by a leisurely meal at the Pendle Inn. Barley was busy but not full.....

I'd had no problems with the ballot process but feared the worst arriving at the ground just before my scheduled time.
No worries, though, the queue moved quickly and the stewards were helpful and efficient.

Once in the ground, a great build up atmosphere - including the NHS "Times Like These" video - and not a bad performance from the Clarets.
A great night, thanks to all concerned.

Loyalclaret

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri May 21, 2021 8:59 am

Also worth noting there was no need to have the NHS app on Wednesday. Think some posters were concerned about that

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:09 am

beddie wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:43 am
Ashington. I imagine it wasn’t an easy decision for you after all those years of attending. We were undecided but that was down to me being grumpy because we’ve lost our brilliant seats. I hope you find other things to do on those match days that ordinarily you would have been travelling to those games. Where were you coming from? it sounds a heck of a distance. I fully understand your reasoning behind the travel and especially var, I’d like to see it scrapped, incidentally our family friend whose a ref has said they prefer it as the majority of them believe it takes some pressure off them whilst officiating. I wish you well it whatever you decide to do.
Thanks beddie. Sorry that you have lost your seats, it would seem that you are not on your own on that score.
I shall still be going to lots of football because I have a Season Ticket at Ashington (where I live) at a great cost of £30 for the season. Northern League football is decent and competitive and with a pie and a pint costing just £3 and no driving to do, I shall survive. Morpeth are at a higher level and just down the road and the kick offs are the same time throughout the season. My Sunday mornings will still be spent watching the local Sunday League games.
I shall miss the drive because I still enjoy driving. I shall miss the craic with my friend, Ken, who helped me out when I had a bad injury and couldn't drive, and used to drive me down to matches and eventually became a season ticket holder! I shall miss the friends who I met at the matches, however, it is my decision because football at the top level is becoming too sterile with more square and back passes than I ever saw from Butch Wilkins ---and that is saying something! You take care and enjoy the games----I hope that you get a decent seat!
These 4 users liked this post: tim_noone green_parrot Brucefanclaret claretgimmer

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri May 21, 2021 10:17 am

I'm surprised you weren't allowed to leave early after watching other big city clubs the night before.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Fri May 21, 2021 12:07 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:13 pm
Well said jdrobbo. The club takes lots of criticism, some justified and some not, however, it is good that you have reported your experience last night and accepted everything that had been done to enable you to see the game.

I have decided that I shall not renew my season ticket for nest season, mainly because I do a 300 mile round trip and I am fed up of VAR and the general way that the game is progressing. After 69 years this was a very difficult decision to take!

Having said that, I contacted Elaine at the ticket office to let her know because there were a couple of other issues which were relative to my decision. I have to say that Elaine dealt with everything, as she always had over the years I have dealt with her, and resolved the issues without any problem.

The Club takes a lot of stick, however, I have had to deal with them from afar since 1966 and have never had a problem at all.
That's a shame Ashingtonclaret46. ( Not renewing, I mean). I know a few in your position. Fed up with VAR, the whole money thing, wages and the difficulties for clubs like ours to compete financially, cheating, the game slowly turning into one of non contact, etc, etc. After so long it must be hard for you. I hope you find something else worthwhile to occupy your Saturdays! Actually that's something else, isn't it? So few Saturday 3 o'clock kick-offs. Good luck with it!
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure Ashingtonclaret46 Rats_cle

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 21, 2021 12:19 pm

Have to say the stewarding was excellent but there were still other problems with the organisation. We were due to get our tickets delivered to the App three hours before kick off, I got incorrect tickets. The photo id was checked but some 200 yards from the turnstiles so there was nothing to prevent tickets having been passed to other people, no id/ticket check at all.

And the club sent me my itinerary email, giving me an arrival time etc. etc. it arrived in my inbox just after the start of the second half.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Fri May 21, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi Ashingtonclaret46, I have a lot of sympathy re your decision of not coming to matches and understand your reasons for that.
I was up you neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago birdwatching and going to see the very rare Mocking Bird at Newbiggin.

If you feel that there's a game or two you'd like to travel down for. Get in touch with me, through CT and sit next to me in the Bob Lord Free of Charge. You deserve it, for your commitment over the years, travelling up and down for matches.
These 4 users liked this post: simonclaret Zlatan evensteadiereddie claretgimmer

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Fri May 21, 2021 3:25 pm

Terrific gesture

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm

Bfc wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:37 pm
Hi Ashingtonclaret46, I have a lot of sympathy re your decision of not coming to matches and understand your reasons for that.
I was up you neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago birdwatching and going to see the very rare Mocking Bird at Newbiggin.

If you feel that there's a game or two you'd like to travel down for. Get in touch with me, through CT and sit next to me in the Bob Lord Free of Charge. You deserve it, for your commitment over the years, travelling up and down for matches.
Thanks Bfc for your very generous offer. I may even take you up on it, however, my friend will definitely want to come so we would buy tickets through the normal channels.
I heard about the Mocking Bird from a friend who went to Newbiggin to see it and got a few photographs so he was very happy. A fair trek for you to follow a hobby, however, I believe that ti is unusual to find one up this way, although we do have quite a lot of interesting wild life in these parts.
Thanks once again for the generous offer1

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri May 21, 2021 6:21 pm

Appreciate your o/p John, but the club have a lot of making up to do to bring me round. And no, I wasn't lucky enough to be there.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Fri May 21, 2021 8:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:19 pm
Have to say the stewarding was excellent but there were still other problems with the organisation. We were due to get our tickets delivered to the App three hours before kick off, I got incorrect tickets. The photo id was checked but some 200 yards from the turnstiles so there was nothing to prevent tickets having been passed to other people, no id/ticket check at all.

And the club sent me my itinerary email, giving me an arrival time etc. etc. it arrived in my inbox just after the start of the second half.
Get rid of the brick CT & buy a Samsung 😏

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:10 pm
Get rid of the brick CT & buy a Samsung 😏
I’m an iPhone man. Got a new one last week and the turnstile bloke took it off me to scan the code that I’d thankfully still got on an email. So they sent me the wrong ticket and entry was not contactless.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri May 21, 2021 8:42 pm

I hope he was wearing gloves.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 21, 2021 8:47 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:42 pm
I hope he was wearing gloves.
I had my gloves but wiped the phone down afterwards.

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Fri May 21, 2021 8:59 pm

LOCKDOWN BURNLEY. Football returns to Turf Moor. https://youtu.be/yyeQDzR9das

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 21, 2021 9:14 pm

mikeS wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:59 pm
Well done Mike - but I don’t recall giving you permission to film me. :D

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri May 21, 2021 10:08 pm

Does anybody know how many applications for tickets were received ?

Loyalclaret

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri May 21, 2021 10:56 pm

mikeS wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:59 pm
Caught a couple of us in the first 10 seconds 😊

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat May 22, 2021 1:44 am

Well done to everyone involved in putting that game on, but if the match day experience is anything like that ongoing then football is finished as far as I'm concerned.
I won't be paying for that
Not a criticism of the club. Just football in general

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Sat May 22, 2021 8:53 am

Well there were times when I was spitting feathers trying to get our tickets but the visit on Wednesday was great.Well organised in JML..in and out..and although we didn't get our normal seats we saw good old friends...made me realise just how much I 've missed visiting The Turf .

Seeing the interview with those two young lads before the match..one of them has cancer...brought a lump to my throat and put things in perspective .
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1133 times
Has Liked: 1607 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sat May 22, 2021 9:16 am

FCBurnley wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:08 pm
Does anybody know how many applications for tickets were received ?
They announced over 5000 applications. No exact numbers though

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sat May 22, 2021 8:47 pm

Was a well organised evening and no complaints about the organisation.

The free matchday pack was a nice surprise too.

The only complaint I had was I should have worn contacts, ended up having to leave my mask under my nose to watch the game but being socially distanced felt low risk.

As a reminder - donations to NHS was suggested. I thought the pre-match video was very fitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6xNWs7vjPc

There is a link to a just giving page for NW Ambulance if you haven't already got around to donate. Also well done to whoever has been doing the new pre-match visuals, I don't usually see them from my JHU seat, but the whole experience before the game was much better than I expected.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat May 22, 2021 9:46 pm

I heard that at least one lucky supporter was in tears on entering the ground after such a long absence.....

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat May 22, 2021 10:33 pm

Well done to those who got tickets.

And the way they let people know about it :D

John